PDA

View Full Version : Favre to Return...

Shaaady Souljah
02-02-2007, 07:03 PM
It is official. Brett Favre will play at least one more season, which will include setting the all-time record for Pass TDs & maybe Passing Yards as well. As a Vikings fan, I have always hated him over the years, but I have total respect for him as a person and competitor. He is indeed one of the greatest of all-time. Here is an article about it:

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Brett Favre (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/1025/) will return for his 17th NFL season, undeterred by his injuries and hoping to lead the Green Bay Packers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/gnb/) back to the playoffs.
"I am so excited about coming back," the 37-year-old quarterback said Friday on the Web site of the Sun Herald in Biloxi, Miss. "We have a good nucleus of young players. We were 8-8 last year, and that's encouraging."
Packers general manager Ted Thompson confirmed Favre had told the team he plans to return.
"The Packers are excited by his decision and look forward to a successful 2007 campaign," Thompson said in a statement.
The team scheduled an afternoon news conference Friday. "My offensive line looks good, the defense played good down the stretch," Favre told the Biloxi newspaper. "I'm excited about playing for a talented young football team."
The news came as a surprise to Packers CEO Bob Harlan.
"I hadn't heard it, and I hadn't seen the Biloxi paper -- not that I read the Biloxi paper every day," Harlan told The Associated Press on Friday.
Messages left with Favre's agent, Bus Cook, were not immediately returned. Packers coach Mike McCarthy was on vacation and would not be available for comment, the team said.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the news was great for the league.
"He's obviously been an incredible performer for the NFL," said Goodell, in Miami for Sunday's Super Bowl.
Favre last left the field in an emotional scene in Chicago after leading the Packers to a victory to finish the season 8-8.
He has started 257 consecutive games including the playoffs, an NFL record for quarterbacks. Favre broke Dan Marino's record for career completions (4,967) in 2006 and is closing in on Marino's marks for career touchdown passes (420) and yards passing (61,361). Favre has 414 career touchdown passes and 57,500 yards passing.
As he has done in the past several offseasons, Favre returned to his home in Mississippi after the season to deliberate about his future. Last year, Favre waited until late April to tell the team he was returning. Favre complained about nagging injuries and the drudgery of practice toward the end of last season, then choked back tears as he talked about missing the game and missing his teammates in a television interview immediately after the regular-season finale in Chicago -- leading many to believe he intended to retire.
Apparently, he couldn't resist one more chance to try to lead the Packers back to the playoffs after the Packers won their final four games and were in playoff contention until the final weekend of the regular season.
Favre has led the Packers to 10 postseason appearances, six division titles, three NFC Championship games, two Super Bowls and one championship following the 1996 season.
Favre was acquired in a trade by former Packers general manager Ron Wolf after one season as a backup in Atlanta in 1991. He completed his first NFL pass -- to himself -- on Sept. 13, 1992, catching a deflection and losing seven yards.
The following week, he replaced injured starter Don Majkowski in the third quarter and led the Packers to a come-from-behind 24-23 victory over Cincinnati.
Favre started in place of Majkowski on Sept. 27, 1992, beginning the streak he often has called his biggest personal accomplishment. The 237-game regular-season streak is nearly six seasons ahead of the Colts' Peyton Manning (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4256/) at 144.
Favre's accomplishments include winning three league MVP awards -- he shared 1997 honors with Detroit Lions (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/det/) running back Barry Sanders -- and throwing two touchdown passes in a 35-21 victory over the New England Patriots (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nwe/) in the 1997 Super Bowl to give the Packers their first championship in 29 years. Earlier in that championship season, Favre spent time in the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kan., battling an addiction to painkillers.
Favre led the Packers back to the Super Bowl the following season, but they lost to John Elway's Denver Broncos (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/den/) 31-24.

bdg7884
02-02-2007, 09:20 PM
I hate the Packers for all the pain they have caused beating my 49ers! But, Favre is hands down one of the best QB's to ever play the game! I'm glad he decided to come back and chase down the records. He reminds me of Jordan, his love for the game couldn't keep him away!

Gunstar Chaos
02-02-2007, 09:26 PM
At least he isn't quitting and coming back every other year. I'll be honest, I didn't even give him a chance at the beginning of last season. He proved me wrong and I'm looking forward to watching him again this season.

bdg7884
02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
At least he isn't quitting and coming back every other year. I'll be honest, I didn't even give him a chance at the beginning of last season. He proved me wrong and I'm looking forward to watching him again this season.
Are you by chance talking smack about MJ??? Or just stating a fact?

Shaaady Souljah
02-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Are you by chance talking smack about MJ??? Or just stating a fact?

Yes. and Roger Clemens. and Junior Seau. And anyone else that abused the idea of retiring to boost their publicity for years, or to get put on a better team. No disrespect to their abilties as atheltes, but they abused the whole "retiring" idea/moment/process. Especially Clemens and Seau, who used the opportunity to get on new, contending teams in their sport.

I did not say it, so I am merely guessing of course. ;) That was just my two cents.

Tripl299
02-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Yes. and Roger Clemens. and Junior Seau. And anyone else that abused the idea of retiring to boost their publicity for years, or to get put on a better team. No disrespect to their abilties as atheltes, but they abused the whole "retiring" idea/moment/process. Especially Clemens and Seau, who used the opportunity to get on new, contending teams in their sport.

I did not say it, so I am merely guessing of course. ;) That was just my two cents.

I agree with you on junior seau, since i'm a dolphin fan and he did that to miami and then signed with their rival in the same division.

But, Roger Clemens, he left a team that had just went to the world series. How can you say that he did it so that he could join a better team?? He totally made that team better when he joined it. It was Andy P and the Houston Astros that came after him to come out of retirement and pitch for them. And he just gets better with age!! He's probally the best pitcher of all time. No matter what team he chooses this year(Yanks, Astros, or Red Sox), that team will be picked to be a total contender.

Baboonballs
02-03-2007, 04:57 AM
I don't think it's a good idea for him to come back at all. He has moved from helping to hindering the packers, I'm not saying he doesn't have it anymore I just think he's hurting them more now by staying. Look at the dolphins marino stayed way past his time and it hurt them more than him. They should have drafted a replacement, not picked one up. That way he could of had a few years learing from marino before he left, and that would have been the best answer for the team and marino, but they didn't and look at the dolphins now. And now the packers are headed down the same road, they need to make a stand for the teams future and tell favre no.

PerpetualHeaven
02-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Dude Favre needs to quit life. haha.. he has a family he apparently "cared" about in an article 2 years ago. Every year he says it's his last. He's ruining his legacy man. He just can't perform like he does anymore. Give Aaron Rodgers a chance. He's got a lot of potential.

Gunstar Chaos
02-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Yea that's what I'm talking about. I don't know Farve didn't really hurt the team this year. He almost took the to playoffs and give them one more winning year. I don't see anything wrong with him coming back as long as he is helping the team.

Jordan7182002
02-05-2007, 01:40 AM
As a Vikes fan I am glad to see him back. Favre I love to watch no matter if he plays for the hated Pack.

Now I DO NOT want to see Moss in Green and Gold...ick. Moss you know you should just come home...Red is gone...come home!!!

Shaaady Souljah
02-05-2007, 01:51 AM
As a Vikes fan I am glad to see him back. Favre I love to watch no matter if he plays for the hated Pack.

Now I DO NOT want to see Moss in Green and Gold...ick. Moss you know you should just come home...Red is gone...come home!!!

I agree. Vikings Unite! Bring Randy Back! ;)

hammers48
02-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Farve needs to give it up already. I hope he gets injured during pre-season and cant play a regular season game. I dispise him

Smokez
02-15-2007, 08:28 PM
he Needs to Retire. Those Records belong to the Best QB Ever. DAN MARINO!!!

Seau - He only said he wanted to Retire bc he realized how much Zack Thomas is then him and he had his position and wanted out. Other than that he probly woulda stayed with Miami if Thomas wasnt so good at what he does

Walcherina
02-19-2007, 08:14 PM
He's far past his prime, I think it's time to hang up the cleats. As for Moss, bring him on back to the Vikes!!!

SteelerXBox360
02-19-2007, 09:40 PM
If I was an NFC central team fan I would be happy too :) Why wouldn't you want the gunslinger out there throwing the ball to your team...

I used to like him a lot more but he is all about the records and I esp. like when he says that he is not...then why is he still playing? Tell me something else, I knew he would come back and I am just surprised that he didn't drag it out again like last season which is when I lost all respect for him as it showed how selfish he really is...