PDA

View Full Version : My WET Review

Logiistics
09-18-2009, 07:16 PM
WET is one of those titles that was apparently ‘lost’ in the activision and blizzard merger thus putting its future in jeopardy, luckily WET was so far in development that it was announced it would not yet be cancelled and that they would look for a new publisher. Fortunately much beloved ‘Bethesda Softworks’ stepped in and agreed to publish WET. But will WET be a title lost in the bargain bin or will it be a title too remember?

You play as Rubi Malone a sleek and sexy gun for hire who strangely lives in a place named ‘Bone Yard’ which consists of a wrecked planes and a area of abandoned buildings, its strange as the amount of money Rubi earns you’d think she would live in a massive mansion but no. She agrees to help out a wealthy man by finding and bringing back his lost son, but in videogame fashion it all goes wrong and the job turns out to more complicated than was expected and the man who gave you the contract isn’t who he said he was, clichéd I know but that’s how it starts. On the run and looking for the man who betrayed her, Rubi is on a mission of revenge leaving endless bodies in her wake.

The games main point of focus is slow motion combat where you can slide, flip, run up walls and do all sorts out acrobatic movements while in slow motion, this all sounds very good but after a while it does get very boring. As Rubi automatically aims her gun at one enemy and you have to manually aim at another with the analogue stick and all it comes down to is constantly holding the fire button while either jumping or sliding around the boring environments. The slow motion is activated when you press the fire button and it is very easy and accessible to use but just feels like there should be more to it and you shouldn’t be limited to just doing that. You do also have a sword at your disposable, but this isn’t much help either, you cant use it in slow motion and there is no combo system or stylish dismemberments such as those seen in Afro Samurai, it does help in close combat but once again you just keep on tapping the slash button until everything around you is dead. Along with the sword and the pistols is a variety of other weapons but there is no real excitement in gameplay terms from using them the pistols. There is a upgrade system in WET but it is so very basic and no where near as in depth as what people these days expect, the type of upgrades you can do are ones such as being able to shoot while on a zip wire or coming out of a slide with your sword and doing an uppercut. This is definitely a welcome addition, as a very basic upgrade system is better than no upgrade system at all, I just wish if developers are going to put in a upgrade system they would actually think about it and make it how the person playing the game would want it.

The gameplay in WET mainly consists of moving through linear environments by either wall running, sliding under obstacles, jumping over gaps or swinging on poles then taking down a few enemies in the signature slow motion of WET. These sections are broken up by rare vehicle sequences, where you could be car hoping and doing some ridiculous stunts such as running on the side of a lorry while shooting at enemies all going at 90mph, these sections could have been brilliant but there more like QTE’s (quick time events) as you have to hit button prompts at certain times, and with the shabby graphics all the explosions going off around you are very underwhelming and feel almost last gen. Every once in a while you will enter a kind of combat area where there is no way out unless you shut down what are basically spawn areas for enemies and killing every living sole around you. You do this by usually breaking a switch/pulley to shut down the door that enemies are rushing through. These sections can be fun and maybe even the best parts of the game as there are tons on enemies and you can do some sleek and stylish sequences in slow motion while getting high multipliers. Multipliers in this game are what calculates your score throughout the level, if you have played ‘The Club’ you’ll know what I’m on about, it’s very similar to that. You get higher multipliers for dispatching enemies quickly and in stylish ways by performing headshots while half way through a wall run and so on. In the combat arenas there are certain poles you can swing on to start your multiplier on say x3 which helps a lot and can get you lots of points to spend on the very basic upgrades.

Another aspect of the game is Rage mode where Rubi gets blood in her eyes, literally. The gameplay doesn’t change her but the visual look certainly does, the whole game goes red, white and black. Blood is shown in white while most of the environment is red with some black as certain objects. As you hack and slash through enemies the blood goes on the screen and all over the red walls and is way more effective than what it is actually like in the normal game. Even though its just a cosmetic change Rage mode is really fun and does spice up the game quite a bit, although if the whole game was like this it would be rubbish.

Throughout the whole game there is a film grain effect across the screen which does make it feel kind of retro and fit in the with the whole style of the game and quirky load screens such as intro’s to movies in the 60’s but it can get annoying with the screen constantly flickering, luckily It can be turned off. Overall WET doesn’t look very good at all, it has shabby textures and bad lightening effects and the environments look very dull, boring and closed in throughout most of the game, although in the arena scenario’s the environment are opened up. The only good thing about the visuals is that it is consistent in keeping stylized and slick looks throughout the whole game, sadly though without this WET would be a very bad looking game. Strangely opposite to the visuals the music in WET has been very well chosen and really fits in with the game and gets the adrenaline rushing. The voice work is also strong here with rather good, gritty, brutal dialogue which sets the tone excellently and puts you in the world of WET really well. It’s a Pitty that the same cant be said for the weapon sounds; the guns sound like something a kid would get from a toy shop. Explosions and other sounds just sound out dated and it’s almost like Artificial Mind & Movement the developers haven’t recorded any new sounds of this type. WET is gory and the blood effects are decent and pretty detailed but there always the same on every enemy, always the same animation when you slice them with your sword or shoot them with your gun, I would have liked to have seen blood splash on the screen or more death animations just to make it more visually interesting, not repeating the same thing over and over like WET has done. Most enemy models are repeated and look the same through the whole game and they all act the same, only having a few mini boss characters that carry mini guns to split it up. The AI here isn’t very good either with enemies usually just standing and shooting for you to either slice then up with your sword or pop a bullet in there head, occasionally they will roll out of the way but they never take cover or change there movement patterns in anyway.

You will enjoy WET for the first hour or so, thinking how great all the moves and acrobatics are along with unlimited slow motion. But it really isn’t enough to keep anyone interested throughout the whole game, it becomes monotonous and repetitive, not something you would want to play and definitely not something you would want to spend £40 on. WET isn’t a serious game and it knows that by the way it portrays its self and it could have been great and really enjoyable but it just comes out as a rushed, unfinished title that needs lots of work, and with no multiplayer don’t waste your money on WET unless you really want something that will only entertain you for an hour or so.

+ Stylized visuals
+ Good voice work
+ Good ideas

- Very repetitive
- Bad visuals
- Uninspiring gameplay

[60]

Its written by me for ConnectedConsoles (http://www.connectedconsoles.com/index.cfm)

It isnt up on the site yet but will be shortly.

Ink129
09-18-2009, 09:27 PM
GASP!!! :eek:

I bash you for having your own opinion about this game! I hope you will get flamed for this review from here to eternity because of the low score!!!:rant:

Nah, just kiddin' ;)

You've got some good points and it is a fair score, I think. Personally, though, I would probably give it 7.5 or 8, and this is probably due to the fact that this is one of those games that some people just find more appealing than others. I think the whole Grindhouse style does a lot for me personally, and I just can't wait for the next outrageous action-sequence as I am playing through this game.

Maybe you should divide the review into a few more paragraphs, because it gets a bit "wall-o-text-ish" at points, but otherwise it is a very good and thorough review :)

Logiistics
09-18-2009, 09:29 PM
GASP!!! :eek:

I bash you for having your own opinion about this game! I hope you will get flamed for this review from here to eternity because of the low score!!!:rant:

Nah, just kiddin' ;)

You've got some good points and it is a fair score, I think. Personally, though, I would probably give it 7.5 or 8, and this is probably due to the fact that this is one of those games that some people just find more appealing than others. I think the whole Grindhouse style does a lot for me personally, and I just can't wait for the next outrageous action-sequence as I am playing through this game.

Maybe you should divide the review into a few more paragraphs, because it gets a bit "wall-o-text-ish" at points, but otherwise it is a very good and thorough review :)

Yeh its the third review iv done so still got a lot to learn :) Getting better with each one :D

DefJamV
09-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Your style of writing isn't terrible but it leaves a lot to be desired...

its strange as the amount of money Rubi earns you’d think she would live in a massive mansion but no.

...yeah, you seem to be typing like you would talk in reality which is a very common mistake that a lot of budding reviewers seem to make.

Not to attack you personally, but video game reviewers are supposed to be very seasoned video gamers with a lot of experience in the gaming industry. You have 6,600 gamerscore, which really isn't the gamerscore of a proper gamer. By this i mean you have to be a seasoned video gamer who has experienced a wide variety of games to the fullest, which you clearly haven't.

You also seem to have Halo 3 as a recent game, leaving me to believe you must enjoy it and you penalized WET for being, and i quote:

- Very repetitive
- Bad visuals
- Uninspiring gameplay

That's Halo 3 in a nutshell, pal... :)

So yeah, cool.

True Marvellous
09-18-2009, 11:30 PM
After reading your review, and your negativity, about the game I was astounded that you gave it a mighty fine 6/10. :confused:

ReignerRuler
09-18-2009, 11:48 PM
+ Stylized visuals
+ Good voice work
+ Good ideas

- Very repetitive
- Bad visuals
- Uninspiring gameplay

I dont understand these two, arent they in essence the same?

Ralph The Rogue
09-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Ok, I'll validate your review by commenting on it. To say that the game will keep you interested for an hour is non-sense. Maybe if you are a seasoned gamer and started on the Cake Walk difficulty, you might have a point. Starting the game on Hired Gun difficulty is proving to be a decent challenge. Not too difficult to be frustrating, but not to easy to be boring. Strategy must be developed to get past the arena levels. You just can't run and gun your way though them or you WILL die. Again, and again, and again.

Clear your mind, sack up, be a man, and start over on Hired Gun difficulty. Then come back and update your review. On second thought, I just looked and you have not played the game on 360. Are you playing it on your PS3? If so, your reviews really have no place here.

cool4joe
09-19-2009, 03:07 AM
I seriously doubt that a PS3 gameplay is different from the X360 gameplay. From what I saw of someone playing I was bored in the first minute. I mean, sure sliding around or slow motion can be fun, but the game went overboard on it and nothing kept me interested in it, gameplay, story, graphics. Over all I would think a 6/10 is being generous.

Logiistics
09-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Your style of writing isn't terrible but it leaves a lot to be desired...

...yeah, you seem to be typing like you would talk in reality which is a very common mistake that a lot of budding reviewers seem to make.

Not to attack you personally, but video game reviewers are supposed to be very seasoned video gamers with a lot of experience in the gaming industry. You have 6,600 gamerscore, which really isn't the gamerscore of a proper gamer. By this i mean you have to be a seasoned video gamer who has experienced a wide variety of games to the fullest, which you clearly haven't.

You also seem to have Halo 3 as a recent game, leaving me to believe you must enjoy it and you penalized WET for being, and i quote:

That's Halo 3 in a nutshell, pal... :)

So yeah, cool.

You say that, but i just bought a 360. I have about 5 trophies off 1000 on PS3 and got it on launch date, so i do know my games :)

But thanks for the constructive criticism, it does help and i know iv got a lot to learn when writing reviews :)