PDA

View Full Version : Ed Boon: MK8 Aiming for Gears of War-Like Look

Weapon 117
02-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Speaking to Game Informer, Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon has revealed that the visuals of Gears of War had a tremendous impact on the design of the next-generation Mortal Kombat, which also uses Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 3.

"To me, when I saw Gears of War, I was like, 'Holy s___!' That’s the look that we’ve been talking about.” Visually, that’s what we want to do."

But gameplay wise, the game won’t be about taking cover or using a chainsaw attachment on a rifle. It's all about starting from scratch.

"We’re not going to have three fighting styles, we’re not going to have the same punches and kicks and the same kind of control scheme. Everything is getting trashed. We’re reinventing everything from the ground up. We really think that’s needed—you know, we’re on Mortal Kombat 8, in a sense—to kind of wipe the slate clean every once in a while, and I kind of feel that now is the time."

Boon promises we’ll learn more about the look and feel of Mortal Kombat 8 soon:

"Our visual presentation and our game presentation and our thing that you’ll hear about very soon are all going to be new to this game. It’s going to be nothing like you’ve ever seen before."

But, when can we expect to see the next-generation Mortal Kombat on store shelves? Unfortunately, for such an ambitious project, we’ll have to wait nearly two more years.

“It would be around the fall, Novemberish time of 2008.” Boon explained.

Source: Teamxbox.com (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12710/Ed-Boon-MK8-Aiming-for-Gears-of-WarLike-Look/)

ac2565
02-06-2007, 11:13 PM
The reason people dont post in this topic is because if you dont read it it makes no sense.

Fonkey Monkey
02-06-2007, 11:33 PM
This game is gonna be off tha hook!
Can't wait for the best fighter series,bar none, to be on the 360:drunk

KilluhKam
02-07-2007, 01:45 AM
i was just about to post this! lol i saw it on attack of the show, i think its kinda stupid to be a GoW look alike, but we'll see how it turns out

Gunstar Chaos
02-07-2007, 03:32 PM
I understand what they mean, this is definely what Mortal Kombat needs. Too bad its nearly 2 years away.

graemelunn
02-08-2007, 12:33 AM
I would rather Midway take their time and get it right rather than just rush for the sake of having an MK product out there. If only everyone took that view...

Rocket
03-07-2007, 07:45 PM
I can't wait...hhahahahaha....I have Armageddon right now, and its not bad, the story is kinda ghey compared to the one in Shaolin Monks, because you can only play with one player (as compared to 4 with SM) but all around the game is sick...so this next installment with the Engine from Epic...holy shit this game will be the top of the bar for fighting games...

fatces
03-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Rocket
03-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Uh What? Why did you post that here?

fatces
03-07-2007, 08:54 PM
my bad, what i was going to say originally was this:
i hope they can nail the GoW lloks, but they need to focus also on gameplay, i love the mk series, and i been waiting for a good MK since UMK3/MK4

Rocket
03-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Its all good dude...

Stinkyf1re
03-14-2007, 07:12 PM
What they fucking need to do is take UMK3, make the graphics look like gears of war, keep the side scrolling fighting, no 3d level bullshit, keep the same combo system and make every character have multiple endings, fatalities, babalities, animalities, brutalities. and make it all tournament styled online play. NOW THAT WOULD BE A KICKASS GAME

trunk187
03-23-2007, 07:40 PM
that's a killer idea umk3 was the best and the combos are sick if it had graphics like GOW it would be sweet

imbord
03-23-2007, 09:39 PM
that's a killer idea umk3 was the best and the combos are sick if it had graphics like GOW it would be sweet

yea a 3D 2D game like mario vs donkeykong

TS xManiaC
04-11-2007, 08:56 AM
This sounds like a pretty good idea, cant wait for them to release more info

David and Jared
04-17-2007, 03:05 AM
I don't like the gears of war look alike part of it, but I'm tired of sidescrollers so I hope they don't make it like umk3

Stinkyf1re
05-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks for all the good feedback fellas :)

Zmoke
09-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I've read somewhere Midway saying that the 8th Mortal Kombat will be totally serious - it might not have characters like Mokap, Bo'Rai Cho or Johnny Cage. It might not neither have then any funny fatalities, hara-kiris, babalities or friendships. Instead, it might have Test-Your-Might, Test-Your-Sight, serious fatalities, hara-kiris, brutalities and multalitys.

I wonder will they make any Motor Kombat or Puzzle Kombat kind side games then if MK8 is supposed to be serious. But who knows if they'll still add Chess Kombat. I just wish that they won't add any new Bo'Rai Cho or Mokap like characters.

I'm not saying that the up-coming Mortal Kombat wouldn't be great at all, but I don't personally think that they should do all that. Mortal Kombat doesn't need to be so serious in my opinion. It can be as it was before, but with improved graphics, gameplay and new story.

Midway has also said that Mortal Kombat 8 will have as much new characters as they have time. So MK8 will have only a few original characters (since the most were ment to be killed in the latest MK game, Mortal Kombat:Armageddon, MK7). The characters who are confirmed to be in Mortal Kombat 8:
*Scorpion
*Sub-Zero
*Sonya (or Ed Boon said in an interview that he couldn't see MK8 without her)

If you don't really know what happened in Mortal Kombat:Armageddon even if you played the game over, you can read the character biographies (which aren't in MKA) from the official MKA site. Then when the MK8 is released you know what's happened and what's not. Only about 20 character biographies are released thus far though. You can find the list from Midway Boards if you don't want to click every MKA character in MKA site.

I think that it is very good that Midway takes its time to make Mortal Kombat 8. Ed Boon have said that they won't ever stop making Mortal Kombat games. So it means that Xbox 360 will have least at three or four Mortal Kombat games (according to the amount of the Mortal Kombats in Xbox). I bet that there will surely be least at Mortal Kombat 10 one day. But I won't wait till Mortal Kombat 10, I'll also buy all the other up-coming games (MK8, MK9 and some else). So Midway is actually making several games in the same time when they're making the new gameplay. Just like Mortal Kombat:Deadly Alliance's game play is also in games Mortal Kombat:Deception, Mortal Kombat:Armageddon and Mortal Kombat:Unchainced.

If you liked Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 and the Puzzle Kombat in Mortal Kombat:Deception, I prefer to buy the up-coming Ultimate Mortal Kombat for Nintendo DS. It comes in December if I'm correct or earlier.

The official Midway site and Midway Boards:
www.midway.com (http://www.midway.com)

The official Mortal Kombat:Armageddon site:
www.mkarmageddon.com (http://www.mkarmageddon.com)

,Zmoke

Iv VeNoM vI
12-24-2008, 05:09 AM
whennnnn will we get thisss