PDA

View Full Version : Great to see people play 1 year later

Nicademus
10-01-2009, 10:17 AM
I just wanted to say that it is great to see people are still unlocking these relatively easy achievements one year later. I was the designer in charge of the achievements on the game and love reading about people getting 1000 pts.

It was hard trying to shoehorn achievements into a shallow arcade style racing game, but I always had the goal of no online achievements. I took a cue from COD4 on this one, and was sure no one would be playing this online, so ranked match achievements would be a dumb idea. But I pushed to make sure that if someone DID play online, the stats still counted towards achievements. In the end I suppose I could have made some bigger, for things like losing items, or knockoffs, but we submitted the achievements early on and there was no going back very early on.

This was my first game making achievements for, and the first time I played the game I had 600 pts, then unlocked 4 achievements for 400 pts (timed Ironman perfectly). In a small way, I felt like a pretty pathetic designer when I saw that pop up.

I don't know how many people noticed, but look at your distance driven vs time played. Generally if you divide time played by distance driven you will average 300 mph. As lame as this may seem, it is intentional. I went through each track and measured the length of 1 lap. Then made a spreadsheet which calculated what the general distance driven would be of someone who drove every single race in the game once and never restarted a race. It came out to somewhere around 250 miles (wow, short.) I really wanted a 1000 mile achievement, being the Baja 1000 and all, and pushed the programmers to put a multiplier in there for the distance driven. I felt it would WAY harsh to expect players to complete the career 4 times over in order to get the achievement, or play online for hours upon hours. We wanted to go for accessible and fun, and that is why you can drive about 800 miles if you do every career race once without restarting.

Regardless of how good or bad the game is or was, I had a great time making the achievements for the game, and I hope that you all had a fun time getting them. To this day I am still fairly proud of Cataviņa, but really, really wish we had more development time.

Motorexskygtr32
12-30-2009, 03:36 AM
I am sorry I dont usually to say bad things about games I have play for my 20 years experience. I am very open mind to play any games but this one is expectional worst racing game I ever play.

This game is a pile of steaming crap and rather to eat SCORE International Baja 1000 game cover than play it!

I have many issues with this. Yes, I am aware this is arcade racing than simulation but come on, use boost turbo?

1. It is unnecessary to use boost turbo. It take the fun out of the racing in real life that they dont use boost turbo unless it installed in the engine of Trophy Truck but not nitirous.

2. Why in the world I cant ram the catcus over while there isnt? I have to reverse it to turn around the catcus or avoid it.

3. Trophy Truck, and mini score truck, etc....they suck! The control is very tricky because if you turn so light, it spun you out for no reason and you cant take over the control. No wonder why, I used dirt bike because it has a better control.

I can go on and on but I am sorry, I dont usually to post it to bash the game but this one is expectional.

I would rather to play Baja: Edge of Control than this pos game and is 10 times better than SCORE International 1000.

I mean I enjoyed BAJA:EOC and no frustating at all and is very close to simulation. I had 1,000 on BAJA:EOC.

Now, I dont know if I have a patience to continue anymore but I had to do it to force myself to complete all achievements and then send it to gamefly.

Thorpe
05-31-2010, 01:09 AM
I was wondering why I was getting so many miles done. Still, this game is bad.

SKIBADABOMSKI
08-04-2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah am playing it now. Thing is I knew this was shit before I bought it so nothing surprised me and thus am enjoying just blasting through it as a warm up game before I delve into Red Dead Redemption.

Pretty frickin annoying at times as well. But with this game you can blame the mechanics.

But yeah err thanks for sorting out that milage thing. That would of sucked ass.

biggerballblat
08-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the insight of making the achievements. Good read.

XperimntNterror
12-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I just wanted to say that it is great to see people are still unlocking these relatively easy achievements one year later. I was the designer in charge of the achievements on the game and love reading about people getting 1000 pts.

It was hard trying to shoehorn achievements into a shallow arcade style racing game, but I always had the goal of no online achievements. I took a cue from COD4 on this one, and was sure no one would be playing this online, so ranked match achievements would be a dumb idea. But I pushed to make sure that if someone DID play online, the stats still counted towards achievements. In the end I suppose I could have made some bigger, for things like losing items, or knockoffs, but we submitted the achievements early on and there was no going back very early on.

This was my first game making achievements for, and the first time I played the game I had 600 pts, then unlocked 4 achievements for 400 pts (timed Ironman perfectly). In a small way, I felt like a pretty pathetic designer when I saw that pop up.

I don't know how many people noticed, but look at your distance driven vs time played. Generally if you divide time played by distance driven you will average 300 mph. As lame as this may seem, it is intentional. I went through each track and measured the length of 1 lap. Then made a spreadsheet which calculated what the general distance driven would be of someone who drove every single race in the game once and never restarted a race. It came out to somewhere around 250 miles (wow, short.) I really wanted a 1000 mile achievement, being the Baja 1000 and all, and pushed the programmers to put a multiplier in there for the distance driven. I felt it would WAY harsh to expect players to complete the career 4 times over in order to get the achievement, or play online for hours upon hours. We wanted to go for accessible and fun, and that is why you can drive about 800 miles if you do every career race once without restarting.

Regardless of how good or bad the game is or was, I had a great time making the achievements for the game, and I hope that you all had a fun time getting them. To this day I am still fairly proud of Cataviņa, but really, really wish we had more development time.

though this was long since posted and unlikely that you'll ever read this, i have to applaud you for your post and it was enjoyable to read. i did the technical requirements testing for this title (rich presence was a nightmare!) and i do wish you guys had more time to really develop it better. anyway, just wanted to say something positive on your behalf here. the fact that you even took the time to post something truly shows you have a lot of heart about the end product.