PDA

View Full Version : Sony dropping the ball on 1080p

thecrazyguy
02-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Recent stories in the past few days are leading me to belive sony is dropping the ball on there much hyped 1080p. And it looks as if microsoft might be stealing some of that thunder.

Sony has yet to really push 1080p games on PS3, with one of there most anticipated games, motorstorm, only running in 720p. And now it seems microsoft might be getting serious about 1080p. EA and Sega have announced that both NBA Street Homecourt, and Virtua Tennis 3 will support naitve 1080p. With both hitting in feb. and march respectivly.

This has to be a blow to sony. The one trump card they once held over there competition, is begining to vanish. With microsoft really ramping up on 1080p, the advantages of the PS3 start to diminish. And in my eyes, the PS3 starts to look alot less attractive.

RadicalSniper99
02-08-2007, 01:20 PM
It's nice to see the 360 getting games out with 1080P, but I don't think this is Sony dropping the ball exactly. Remember, this is the 360's first adventure into 1080P and this is more than a year after the system came out. The PS3 hasn't been out 6 months. Now I would think the PS3 and Sony will get 1080P games out sooner into its life than the 360 did, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear they have something coming in a few months.

btf1980
02-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Virtua Fighter 5, NBA 07, NBA 2K7, Ridge Racer 7, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Full Auto 2, Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection, Gran Turismo HD are all 1080p FYI. No ball has been dropped.

CC99999
02-09-2007, 01:44 PM
I read that Gran Turismo HD is DOA (much like the PS3). The PS3 and XBOX 360 will have some 1080p games- but they probably won't be as eye-poppingly wonderful as the 720p games.

BTW, the box on Superman Returns says 1080p. So either EA's lyin' or there's your first 1080p release. And guess what, it blows and looks terrible.

btf1980
02-09-2007, 03:44 PM
I read that Gran Turismo HD is DOA

Hhmmm, i've been playing that DOA game for over a month now, so has everyone else with a PS3.

CC99999
02-10-2007, 01:09 AM
from Gamasutra

Work on controversial PlayStation 3 title Gran Turismo HD has been stopped, according to an announcement on the Japanese website of developer Polyphony Digital, with the content so far produced to be given away as a free download in Japan.

The game, demonstrated at long length at Sony’s pre-E3 2006 media briefing, courted controversy after reports suggested that the game would not ship with any cars or tracks, but that each one would have to be bought separately via microtransactions.

The game itself was a high resolution port of Gran Turismo 4 for the PlayStation 2 (referred to as Gran Turismo HD: Classic), combined with a playable demo of work-in-progress for Gran Turismo 5 on the PlayStation 3 (referred to as Gran Turismo HD: Premium) – which was to have included cars and tracks as standard.

The package was due to be released this year in Japan, but the online message from designer Kazunori Yamauchi indicates that instead the Gran Turismo HD: Classic element of the game will be made available free for download, for a limited time, from December 24. The offer has not been announced for any region other than Japan. The game will include ten cars and one track, with no mention of additional microtransaction content.

Although Yamauchi indicated that further Concept special editions of the game may be released in the interim, all current work is now being refocused on Gran Turismo 5, with a tentative release date of 2008. No mention was made of the much delayed PSP title Gran Turismo 4: Mobile.

btf1980
02-10-2007, 06:28 AM
That article is ancient.

BTW - Did you even read the last paragraph? Gran Turismo HD has been free for download since December 24th!! :rolleyes:

thecrazyguy
02-11-2007, 04:09 AM
The download on the playstation store is not an actual game. It is nothing more than a demo.

Also, if gran turismo HD is sony's idea of the next generation, then they have alot of problems. Does it run in 1080p? Really you could never tell looking at it. It looks and plays almost excactly like gran turismo 4.

btf1980
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
The download on the playstation store is not an actual game. It is nothing more than a demo.

Also, if gran turismo HD is sony's idea of the next generation, then they have alot of problems. Does it run in 1080p? Really you could never tell looking at it. It looks and plays almost excactly like gran turismo 4.

Um, yeah. That's was the entire point. They decided to put all their resources into GT5 coming out next year. So they released GT:HD with 10 cars, 2 race modes and a track as a free download. I don't see how this is a bad thing at all. It runs in 1080p, and if the visuals in this game are not impressive to you then...

1. Something is wrong with your display.
2. Something is wrong with your eyes.

It is leaps and bounds better than GT:4 visually. Can we stop with the embelishing already? This is getting pathetic already.