PDA

View Full Version : The graphics look like ass

WaahhJedi
10-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the game. Bioware never disappoints but I just watched the character videos up on marketplace and couldn't help but thinking that the character models look a smidge worse than the ones in Oblivion. And the gameplay didn't look too hot either. Is it just me? The hype for this had me reserving (and I'll probably enjoy the game) but why does it look like a first effort from a freshman studio, not an ultra polished AAA title from a veteran developer?

Asian47
10-03-2009, 04:44 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, but the game looks beautiful. Sure, compared to most of the other AAA titles coming out this year, the game isn't nearly as good. Still though, the most important things will be the story and the gameplay, which Bioware has never let me down on.

Pearson
10-03-2009, 05:26 PM
I thought the character models looked pretty good, but it's about the gameplay and storyline that makes the game foe me. Can't wait for it to come out!

Big To
10-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Graphics aren't the most important thing in gameplay, sure it definitely wouldn't hurt to have nice graphics(a la Gears of War) but having nice graphics can take a back seat if the game is good enough, see Call of Duty 4, nobody will be bold enough to say it has the best graphics in the world, but it's arguably the most fun multiplayer game out to date. That's why people still play it.

So don't judge the game by the par graphics, judge it by the fun game that it'll no doubt turn out to be.

NateTraveller
10-04-2009, 07:28 AM
WaahhJedi (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=174019), there is nothing that can look worst than pOblivion. Fine game all in all, but horrible to look at. Mass Effect didn't have overly impressive graphic at all but still made for the best game ever released. That shows how much graphics doesn't count if the game are good.

Osiris11235
10-04-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure what everyone is talking about. Oblivion had great graphics, especially for when it came out.

WaahhJedi
10-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Maybe I should clarify. I understand that gameplay and story come before graphics on the typical scale of a quality game. I reeeaaally do. I hated that every review of Dragon Quest 7 on the PS1 mentioned "ugly little sprites in the age of Final Fantasy 8" because that wasn't the point of the game. But you come to expect certain things. I think Mass Effect looked A-mazing if you discounted the texture pop in, stilted animation and light blooms. I played the game 4 times. But when a huge project like this is ends up having character models that look like they came from Barbie's Secret Garden of Pony Ŕdventures, I get confused. Tones look bleached out, faces are squat and pushed together (dwarfs look fine though) and the battle animations seemed to show the same swing-bash-thrust animation for every character. When you look at Mass Effect 2 in comparison to this, it looks odd. I'm certainly hoping Bioware continues their hit-streak because I love their games. I'm just surprised by the seeming lack of polish.

WaahhJedi
10-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm not sure what everyone is talking about. Oblivion had great graphics, especially for when it came out.

I agree. Oblivion and Fallout 3 both look incredible...until NPCs start showing up. Trying to make my own character in Oblivion was disheartening because everybody looks like they have a Play-Doh face. Fallout 3 improved it a bit but everyone still had a glassy-eyed, flat look. Both games have awesome environments and monsters though.

NateTraveller
10-04-2009, 04:39 PM

I really don't agree on that. Oblivion looked flat out awful: the character's looked horrific and it was even more painful to watch the character creation. Both in Oblivion and Fallout 3. Bethesda can not make beautiful games in my opinion, they look awful. This said, I enjoyed both of the games so they succeed in other areas. But then again, I never have been very focused on the look.

I agree. Oblivion and Fallout 3 both look incredible...until NPCs start showing up. Trying to make my own character in Oblivion was disheartening because everybody looks like they have a Play-Doh face. Fallout 3 improved it a bit but everyone still had a glassy-eyed, flat look. Both games have awesome environments and monsters though.

I agree that the people is Bethesda's Achilles heel in design. I can not really feel for them as I think they're flat and doesn't make me connect. Only by looking on the DA-videos I get the feeling that they seem more alive.

A friend point out to me that it looks like the graphics in Neverwinter Nights, and yeah I kind of can agree. Could it have been more evolved? Most definetely, but the important thing for me is that this graphics, contrary to Oblivion, makes me feel something for the person on the screen. It feels more real and alive. I guess that's why I'm happy with it.

WaahhJedi
10-05-2009, 06:36 AM
Part of me knows that the teams working on Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are seperate but I just wonder; how hard is it to walk across the building and get some tips? The characters in the ME series look vastly better than those in NeverWinter and Dragon Age. So what's with the disconnect in quality?! What I do know for sure is, ugly or pretty, Bioware knows how to make a solid game. Fun and time consuming without feeling like work.

When one of your favorite developers has been this consistently good for this long I start to worry when they might slip. But I'm betting $120 that they won't just yet! :-)

Cav Clayton
10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm guessing Dragon Age has been in the works for sometime. Meaning maybe a new graphics engine was changed half-way through production?
And maybe if they wanted for it to run smoothly they'd have to dull it a bit?

I can't say though, I know little about this.
I am disappointed in the graphics though.

Dredgon
10-06-2009, 03:01 AM
I think it looks beautiful, the videos looked great on my 1080p LCD!

Devil Sora
10-06-2009, 04:00 AM
I get what your saying but I mean all we can do is hope right? I feel confident in Bioware's abilities and I'm ready to jump into this title like theres no tommorow. . . . shitty thing is I still dont have the novel that is the prequel to this. . .

KFZ Scrubs
10-06-2009, 06:13 PM
You think the graphics of this game look like ass?
Watch a comparison video of Risen on the 360 and then come back.

KNIGHTOFSERA
10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
they look okay and just that....but everybody is praising bioware like they are the greatest thing ever created and they can do no wrong ,and its annoying, I mean faith in a developer to put out a good product is one thing but sometimes people go overboard (...*ahem Infinity ward praise*..)

Oblivions characters were ugly, but FO3 I thought was better and the wasteland itself I thought was amazing

Devil Sora
10-07-2009, 12:28 AM
they look okay and just that....but everybody is praising bioware like they are the greatest thing ever created and they can do no wrong ,and its annoying, I mean faith in a developer to put out a good product is one thing but sometimes people go overboard (...*ahem Infinity ward praise*..)

Oblivions characters were ugly, but FO3 I thought was better and the wasteland itself I thought was amazing

I certainlly hope the character models looked better in FO3 then in TESIV. . . . . the game is 2 years older. . . .

Anywho. . . this is a conversation mainly about graphics in DA:O and like many have stated here. . . its gameplay not graphics.

bloodswan
10-07-2009, 02:26 AM
I thought the graphics looked pretty good. Character models never look realistic except in as few games where the graphics are amazing.....GOW2 comes to mind

KNIGHTOFSERA
10-07-2009, 03:46 AM
I certainlly hope the character models looked better in FO3 then in TESIV. . . . . the game is 2 years older. . . .

Anywho. . . this is a conversation mainly about graphics in DA:O and like many have stated here. . . its gameplay not graphics.

well yeah just saying........god.......gonna go cry in a corner now geesh:(

Pearson
10-07-2009, 05:33 AM
Well, Bioware does have a couple of weeks to tweek things before the game goes gold, so the graphics could be better before launch.

when_vegans_attack
10-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't know why people get so caught up in graphics. "Good" graphics don't mean "the most realistic" - just like "good art" doesn't mean "the most realistic." What I look for most is style (ala, Fable.) DA:O seems to have the common fantasy style, it looks a bit cartooney (look at the faces) from what I can see of the trailers - but that doesn't make the game "look like ass." I didn't mind oblivion's character models, I actually liked them. The only thing wrong with them was that they all walked like robots...

WaahhJedi
10-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I was just thinking about the style while going down these comments. Ya beat me to it. I can see how it might be trying to look "cartoon-like" or less than realistic. Maybe it's the texture detail, the color choices or the lighting. Or the lack thereof. It just doesn't feel right.

I saw the first Risen video that was put up on xbl and the only thing I remember was that it looked dark and stuttery. Not a good impression.

As for the gameplay-over-graphics argument that seems to keep popping up...uh, I get it. I think anyone who truly loves games will argue that games are fun based on gameplay, and it's a nice bonus if they're easy on the eyes. But I didn't title the thread "This game looks like ass...and based on that, it will probably suck and be no fun kthxbye" so why does it feel like it? Can we not criticize what we feel might be deficient in a title without being inundated with what we all know is probably great?

WaahhJedi
10-08-2009, 12:25 AM

Agreed on Oblivion/Fallout.

The developer praise is pretty easy to agree with. Off the top of my head, I can't think of ONE game by Bioware that I didn't enjoy. And Infinity Ward has provided a game experience that seems to be incredibly difficult for anyone else to copy. Both companies are at the top of their field when it comes to the experience they provide. From big, involving stories and characters with subtle humor from Bioware to IW's seemingly untouched ability to make tense and crazy fast battle sequences, a great story and audio/visual high marks.

People idolize directors, authors, painters, actors and athletes. Is praising a development studio really on the same level of annoyance? Honest question, not flame-bait.

Devil Sora
10-08-2009, 11:18 PM
well yeah just saying........god.......gonna go cry in a corner now geesh:(

no, are you? I do agree with you but the way you blatentlly stated it was a bit. . . . cant think of the word

Like I said I agree SOMEWHAT with the OP. I did have some videos that just made me say wtf? The attack motions better be better then just *slash, slash, hit with sheild, stab* but this can all change when your acually playing it.

Twilight Now
11-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Bethesda's characters look great... until you realize all you see are the same handful recycled over and over again, with a wonderful cast of 4 people voicing them. ;)

Plus, have you ever noticed how lame they look when you talk to them? They just stand there and do very little to express themselves using their body.

I think the people in Dragon Age will have way more character than any one you could meet in Oblivion - no matter how "ass" the graphics look. You can cover a turd in gold but it's still gonna be a turd. :D

artphobia
11-02-2009, 11:50 PM
They aren't totally horrible. Hoping for excellent story and customizing like Mass Effect. But if you want worse than Oblivion, I can sum that up in two words... Two Worlds :p

The Nerevarine
11-03-2009, 05:00 AM
WaahhJedi (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=174019), there is nothing that can look worst than pOblivion. Fine game all in all, but horrible to look at. Mass Effect didn't have overly impressive graphic at all but still made for the best game ever released. That shows how much graphics doesn't count if the game are good.
Hah! No way. Oblivion had really decent graphics, especially when you consider the size of it and the abstract nature of the models, the draw distance, and special effects... it had hundreds of variations and particles and textures at any given time, whereas Mass Effect took place in small corridors with very little textures, and Mass Effect had, what, 30 NPCs and ten character models?

Not that I'm dissing either game, but Oblivion, from a programming and art standpoint is simply a greater effort. Mass Effect just employed some really nice film filtering and shading to make pseudo-photo-realistic faces for up-close shots, but the scenery was nothing to look at and the models were what they were. Facial expressions were poor, especially if you used a girl character, she had dude facial expressions. It was weird.

I can't blame you for your current opinion if you're not a programmer or a technical artist, but watch the making of Oblivion or Fallout if you can find it somewhere and prepare to have your views changed.

NateTraveller
11-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Like you probably suspected, I'm not a programmer or a technical artist - I'm just an artist (author more to the point). I enjoy what I see and what I can experience. How the programming has been done isn't something I care about. I care about the experience that I get (the result, not the execution of the code to get it). Sure, I enjoyed both Oblivion and Fallout 3 but I never truly connected with them or thought that they were beautiful, like I did with Mass Effect (not that Mass Effect was truly beauitful either, it was just better) or, hopefully, Dragon Age: Origins.

MacPhisto
11-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm guessing Dragon Age has been in the works for sometime. Meaning maybe a new graphics engine was changed half-way through production?
And maybe if they wanted for it to run smoothly they'd have to dull it a bit?

I can't say though, I know little about this.
I am disappointed in the graphics though.

Exactly, you actually hit the nail on the head! To quote the Australian IGN review:

"Given that work started on Dragon Age: Origins some five years ago (or more, even – given the game's unveiling in 2004), clearly the direction of the story and the character designs have been heavily influenced by EA's other big gaming brand at the time.

The engine itself has also dated poorly; this is not a beautiful game. In fact, it's routinely plain – no doubt falling victim to years in development. It's not without artistic merit, of course – Dragon Age: Origins has some terrific settings late in the adventure that point towards elements being added farther into development."

So for those whining about the graphics, you have to take into consideration the graphical limitations they had to deal with back when they first started the game.

vans
11-03-2009, 07:25 PM
i have not read all the post here as carefully as i could but i don't see any mention of the fact that there are six distinct stories and at least that many endings to play through. probably not enough disc space for higher quality graphics without going multi-disc. just a guess really though

Chuppernicus
11-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Why bother arguing this? Play the game or not. I've been playing. Liking it so far. Just need to break to get some work finished.

Goo_Back
11-04-2009, 12:53 AM
I didn't think the graphics were all that bad.

I'd say they're in the middle of what you'd see on 360.

The Dagda Mor
11-04-2009, 02:24 AM
Funny how people totally disregard the great gameplay over graphics that really are not that bad but not up to their grand standards.

NaK Quinn
11-04-2009, 02:49 AM
Graphics arnt too bad, but they arnt pretty either. Textures are rather bland and everything looks blocky and FPS isnt high. In this day and age, graphics are important. Granted not THE most important thing, but Important non-theless. Really the only things that are really annoying is no co-op (imagine Mage and Warrior combo) and your character doesnt talk in dialog. Seriously, it doesnt take much to spend a week having someone say the dialog choices a few times than run it through a computer for tone/pitch and WAMO! The character comes alive. Ah-well, at least the NPC's blink and use hand gestures.

jedi420j
11-04-2009, 03:18 AM
Well I'm sure I will enjoy this game, but as a first impression the graphics looked quite poor to me. I thought Mass Effect was a good looking game minus the technical hiccups, but this looks like a step backwards.

Either way, the story and characters will carry this game, I'm not saying graphics are the most important thing in a game.

In the case of Oblivion, the characters faces and movements were funny looking, but I thought the environment and architecture was strikingly beautiful. I walked through the first forest section in Dragon Age and it looked nowhere as good as Oblivion.. Just look at the water and the edges of the ponds, it looks really jagged and unnatural.

Spectrex16
11-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Wow, these graphics do look like ass.

CLB Left 4 Dead
11-22-2009, 07:13 PM
reading reviews and stuff people havnt been mentioning the graphics n so ii was thinking am i the only one that sees remarkably shit graphics like way worse than oblivion, i thought maybe it was the new tv but its fine on mw2

the tall trees look horrendous like some one took a dump, the characters faces on the left look shite n the edges of the characters look crap

looking at the screens shots i thought it didnt look bad but i think is on par with an average ps2 game graphic wise

gameplay wise i like it though, ive only borrowed it from a friend but im gonna buy it

Le Hooch
11-23-2009, 11:50 PM
All I have to add to this is that anyone who thinks that oblivion had/has great graphics or better graphics than DA needs to reload their save and go fight a troll

Treemonkeys
11-24-2009, 03:26 PM
You guys complain about the graphics but they can only fit so much content on the disc, the graphics for this game are much better on PC which the game was designed for. Even so these graphics are easily on par with other 360 games while having much more content. There are not many 360 games that will give you 40+ hours on the first play through.

If you want pretty graphics there is seriously no reason to complain, there are plenty of great looking games to choose from, obviously content rather than graphics was the focus here.

giantsfan940
11-25-2009, 04:35 AM
I think the graphics are wonderful. It's hard to compare any RPG to oblivion, in my opinion, that game is on a whole 'nother awesome plane of existance. But I agree that graphics aren't the most important. Story and character development, which is great in this game, and is enhanced by the decision making you do that affects the world on a much grander scale, than say, fable, or even mass effect. The controls/gameplay are solid, and character creation is always a plus. I highly recommend this game.

the emcee
11-25-2009, 09:38 AM
great game, graphics are great in places but in others they are questionable...

the trees man, the trees......they are the worst trees i ever saw in a game haha, even SM64 had better trees...but none of the graphical flaws detract from a great game and this is no exception...ignore the graphics and get enveloped in the game world and storylines

to those people who dissed the grpahics in oblivion...you need glasses mates, specsavers is your best bet they do free sunglasses with their prescriptions

rondund
11-25-2009, 01:51 PM
I must admit I felt a tug of disappointment once I saw my first gamescreen, something didn't feel quite as I expected. I think I was expecting Mass Effect with Swords & Dwarfs...

But now with 24 hours of playtime (accross 2 characters) I'm not quite sure I remeber what I was disappointed with at the start. All I can think now is:

"Good lord, this is a big game"

I suppose it boils down to a balance of visuals and gameplay and I suppose even a big developer like bioware doesn't have a limitless budget. Even for a project that is already 5 years in the making!

BIG ED 06
11-25-2009, 06:26 PM
I think the graphics are good enough, but im not realy botherd about that, as long as it has a good story :D:)

jedi420j
11-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah it's definitely not a game breaker in any way, but some gorgeous environments really would have elevated this game from amazing to...I dunno, more amazing haha... either way great game in my opinion. Now that I have figured out the tactics and battle system it's really enjoyable.