PDA

View Full Version : battle of the bulge on ace help required

roynroy
10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I've tried to do the bonus mission (destroy all planes on the ground) but have failed miserably!!!....as its the last one i need any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks in advance:)...

TheSoftSkeleton
10-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Don't bother with the AA guns until after you've cleared all the planes. I find it's best to focus on the planes on the right side of the airfield your first run through, then just keep turning around and making strafing runs down the runway over and over. Obviously planes that are trying to take off are your top priority, so take potshots at the rest of them only when the runway is clear or you're getting ready to turn around.

It also helps to fly a plane with a good rocket loadout, as this will help when taking out the long lines of grounded planes. I used the tempest for this. Good luck!

roynroy
10-08-2009, 09:54 AM
thanks for that info,,when you say the right side of airfield do you mean the right side as if you are taking off?. how did you avoid getting shredded to ribbons when strafing?...bcos thats how i was dying on the loads of times i tried it!!..thanks again in advance..

TheSoftSkeleton
10-08-2009, 10:18 AM
thanks for that info,,when you say the right side of airfield do you mean the right side as if you are taking off?. how did you avoid getting shredded to ribbons when strafing?...bcos thats how i was dying on the loads of times i tried it!!..thanks again in advance..Sorry, by the right side I meant right from where I approached from, you might be coming from a different angle. If you were taking off from the airfield it would be on the LEFT. That seems to be where most of the planes take off from at the start.

As far as avoiding the guns, stay low and use war speed a lot. I usually slow down as much as I can to strafe until I start getting shot at, then immediately use war speed and get the hell out. At the end of your strafing run, if you speed off past the edge of the runway about 2,000-3,000 feet or so before turning around it will put you out of range of the AA guns and buy you some time with any airborne 109s in the area since they'll have to follow you out there and then turn around to follow you back as well. Just don't take too long doing this or you might miss a plane or two trying to take off.

roynroy
10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
cheers..i'll give it another bash soon:)

AirborneRichard
10-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Hi yes softskeleton is right about his tactic i replayed this part also a few times before i finaly got it. Helpfull here is a plane with good agility and good armor, but mostly a big payload of rockets! Then its easier to take those planes out. I actualy finished the mission with the P-51 D it has rockets aswell two bombs. Ofcourse the Tempest or some other planes might have more rockets, but might not be that agile! Sure when flying low and in this one its all about speed and well placed hits. I can,t recount the times i tought i finaly got it and then one plane made it into the air! Just take out those planes u facing after the checkpoint first a few well aimed rockets and if u got them use bombs. Then to quik low turns so u always see whats going on and if no planes are already getting started on the runway. I wish u the best of luck! Btw thnx for the advice on the eye of the storm mission that helped alot ;)