PDA

View Full Version : Walmart - Canada selling for $39.96??

weeken
10-14-2009, 04:16 AM
I was poking around the Walmart online flyers and noticed that the Montreal flyer has Borderlands listed as $39.96 on release day.:eek:

Shorten link: http://bit.ly/1g5wcR
Original link: http://walmart.ca/wpscontroller?command=storelocator.onlineflexflyer .ServletLoadOnlineFlexFlyer&storeId=3165&language=en

* Go to page 16!

I will be checking flyers for other provinces over the next couple of days to see if Walmart has this price listed there too.

Nice to be Canadian and Let the price matching begin!! :woop:

Edit: Quebec flyers go from Wednesday (Oct 14) to Tuesday (Oct 20) where other regions go Friday (Oct 16) to Thursday (Oct 22). So I'd check Walmart.ca over the next couple of days for the next flyer.

Another Edit: Here is the English flyer for other regions:
http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/106135-walmart-flyer-oct-16-22-a-canada/

Note the the bottom of the page shows which regions the flyer is for "ON, NB, PEI, NS, NF, MB, SK, AB, BC". Still not showing on walmart.ca but I am sure that'll be coming soon.

Filter x360a
10-14-2009, 06:23 AM
Wow, I'll be getting that for sure if it's $40.Tried to see if I could find an English flyer or see if it was just your province but it says the online flyer won't be available until Oct 15th. Still, nice find. Wondering if it's just a mis-print though.

BTW, why did you put the xx in the Http spot instead of linking right there? The second link doesn't work at all, but I did see the add.

CrossFireZX5
10-14-2009, 09:59 PM
Know if this is happening in Newfoundland? and for how long?

weeken
10-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Beautiful Newfoundland. I was there for 3 weeks this past summer on business. I digress.

When I checked out walmart.ca website Newfoundland showed last week's flyer (the same flyer as other places outside of Quebec). So I'd check the walmart.ca website over the next couple of days to see when the new Newfoundland flyer comes out.

Quebec's flyer is dated to end Oct 20th.

Filter x360a
10-15-2009, 05:45 AM
The flyers for the rest of Canada wil be out tomorrow (the 15th), for some reason, Quebec's fly is also half a week-a week a head of the other provinces.

I'll update tomorrow when I see the add.

Gariom
10-15-2009, 10:33 AM

Fuck yeah, Newfoundland!

On a side note, Wal-Mart did the exact same thing for Batman: Arkham Asylum. The price stayed at $38 for nearly two weeks.

neok182
10-15-2009, 02:41 PM
you lucky bastards. still $60 here in the US.

weeken
10-16-2009, 01:04 AM
It official now as walmart.ca is showing next week's store flyer which features the Xbox 360 $39.96 price for EVERY province in Canada. Futureshop.ca has matched that price for both PS3 and Xbox 360.

This is great for this game as more people with buy it at this price and then spread the word on this great game!!
Thanks Walmart for forcing other retailers to follow suit with such a great price!

captain host
10-16-2009, 03:03 AM
They did this for batman AA not so long ago, wal-mart sure know how to piss competition :p

DarkCrown
10-16-2009, 06:32 AM
wow that's nice :O

I've logged on futureshop and they are already all sell out (pre-order probably..)

BORG Dragon
10-16-2009, 11:34 AM
I work the night shift in a Wal-Mart in northern Ontario, Canada, and yes, Wal-Mart is indeed selling it for 39.96$, and it doesn't say anywhere that it is a short promo deal or anything like it did for Batman:Arkham Asylum.

Eitherway, I think it's an awesome deal and know a ton of co-workers will be picking it up for sure now, since it's not another 70$ price tag like Brutal Legend.

Anemic Solitude
10-16-2009, 12:50 PM
I was worried, I have bought and not quite finished far too many games already. With SVR 2010, Assassin's Creed 2, COD MW2, Dragon Age and this all coming out within the next month and a half and me wanting them all, I have decided i'm gonna hold off on one or two until I have time (and money) to devote to them. Looks like it won't be this, as 40 bucks is great.

weeken
10-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Bestbuy indeed has matched the $39.96 price for both systems!!
PS3 - http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10124753&catid=24358
Xbox 360 - http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10124754&catid=23374

And so has Futureshop.ca

Filter x360a
10-17-2009, 04:09 AM
I see walmart has adds up on xbl advertising the $39 price...so getting this on Tuesday.

JohnnyR74
10-17-2009, 04:19 AM
Nice, finally Canada gets a break. :p

I'm considering getting Borderlands, this might have done it for me.

DarkCrown
10-17-2009, 08:57 AM
seriously I think that game should cost between 40 and 60 dollar , not more. 80$ for a game it's simply too pricey :O

I know that they work hard and ..blablabla , my friend is in the game industry and give me a big speech about it .. but don't you think that if game would be less pricey more people would buy them instead of copy them..

40-50$ for a game it's awesome

AK46 Guerriero
10-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Bestbuy and futureshop are also advertising it at 40$. You can bet that EB Games will also have it at 40$, I mean they did when Batman was priced low too ;P

Filter x360a
10-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Bestbuy and futureshop are also advertising it at 40$. You can bet that EB Games will also have it at 40$, I mean they did when Batman was priced low too ;P

A) Post #13 already covered that FS & BB are price matching.

B) I contacted EB (here in Edmonton, at least) and they said they are not matching walmat's price and it is still selling for $69...no exceptions, regardless if you have a flyer or not.

Stupid really, but I know where I'm getting mine.

twinkie
10-18-2009, 07:15 AM

but they won't matched it this time. i've read somewhere that EB lost a lot on Batman. anyway, i'm living like next to a Walmart so Tuesday morning, i'm off to them :woop:

SLAIFER
10-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Borderlands isn't getting enough hype. Come on, this game looks amazing. GOTY potential even.

I'll post this hilarious video every time there's a Borderlands article. This is just awesome.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/957206/borderlands/videos/borderlands_spc_realgamer.html

Filter x360a
10-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Borderlands isn't getting enough hype. Come on, this game looks amazing. GOTY potential even.

I'll post this hilarious video every time there's a Borderlands article. This is just awesome.

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/957206/borderlands/videos/borderlands_spc_realgamer.html

I never get tired of that video...too funny!

I'll be getting this first thing Tuesday morning.

Dahaka
10-19-2009, 12:22 AM
sounds to me like wal-mart is trying to take a larger share of video game sales by providing some products at cost (to attract attention/make themselves first choice for game buyers) - not a bad business move i guess. kinda wish they would do it here in maryland

Coadster1
10-19-2009, 12:40 AM
Can someone tell me why Canada's Walmarts always have the really good deals? lol :) I remember when Batman Arkham Asylum was really cheap there......

Dahaka
10-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Can someone tell me why Canada's Walmarts always have the really good deals? lol :) I remember when Batman Arkham Asylum was really cheap there......

it could be one or several of any number of reasons

different corporate business strategy (selling at cost in order to corner a market, or attract a new type of consumer that normally went elsewhere)

different marketing/retail regulations (allowing them to do such a thing, as I know in some places, and for some products, there are minimum list prices set by publishers - other places do not allow this type of thing... though i don't know much about canada law)

etc, etc

twinkie
10-19-2009, 03:10 AM

for Batman, it was right around the back to school sale (they wanted to attract more customers that could eventually buy other things besides video games)

for Borderlands, well, Halloween's right around the corner so i'm guessing same thinking. anyway, with people spending a little less (because of the economy), i don't blame them for their aggressive marketing. more money in my pocket :woop:

Spinoff90
10-19-2009, 08:40 AM
This sure makes my decision harder. Was going to wait for the PC version since it will be the best version but now getting to play it a week earlier for less and get some achievements doesn't sound too bad. Tekken 6 and Forza 3 are also bound to dominate my play time when the PC version is out so gives a week before that too. Plus I could always get the PC version as well when it drops in price or is on sale. Not like it would be the first game I have bought on both a console and PC. Hell I bought Burnout Paradise on two consoles and the PC :drunk

AK46 Guerriero
10-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Don't be so sure that theyw on't price match on the end guys, I asked the eb game snear me and the owner said he was price matching, but only for the first two days.

SoleAssassin
10-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Dammit, it's only in Canada. Fuck.

magiroux
10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
This sure makes my decision harder.

You bet it does. I was quite interested in Borderlands but I refuse to spend $70 CDN for a game so I was gonna wait for a price drop before getting it (when you're 6 or 9 months behind releases, you still get loads of games to play but you get them cheaper). I saw the flyer at the end of last week and I was still unsure but seeing the reviews and finding out a friend of mine intended to get the game made my decision easy after all... Every review say this game is a blast with friends... Thanks Walmart...

By the way, I also bought Batman at $38 but had a surprise when I went to trade it at EBGames. They offered $23 for it saying it was low because they had to sell it for $38 on release... But they sure weren't ashamed to sell it used for $64,99... Pfff! Sold it on amazon.ca instead and got my money back! lol

Spoony Bard
10-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Don't be so sure that theyw on't price match on the end guys, I asked the eb game snear me and the owner said he was price matching, but only for the first two days.

Just came back from the EB near me. They wouldn't price match (Walmart sold out already) but offered me a deal where if I traded in a normal copy I could get the Limited Edition from them for like another $5.

vettestingr68
10-20-2009, 06:14 PM
It would be awesome if we could get new games for 40 bucks here in the states. Don't you guys up north normally pay like 70 - 80 bucks for new games though?

AK46 Guerriero
10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
It would be awesome if we could get new games for 40 bucks here in the states. Don't you guys up north normally pay like 70 - 80 bucks for new games though?

Well, it really depends on how the dollar is doing. Usually, a game that is 60$ in US is 70$ here, however with the dollar almost at par I've been seeing alot of things priced the same, like the PS3. 299 in Canada and the US.

bigquackster
10-20-2009, 07:43 PM
anyone know how long the price will be at $40 bucks for?

DarkCrown
10-20-2009, 07:47 PM
until 23rd or when the stock expired I think , I'm sure I saw that somewhere on xbox live in the spotlight

weeken
10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, Walmart's english flyer (ie everywhere but Quebec) is dated to expire this Thursday Oct 22nd, but when you click on Borderlands it says "limited quantities".

When I grabbed mine this morning there were 8 Xbox 360 copies left (missisauga store), but I'd try a couple different stores in your area (Walmart, Futureshop, Bestbuy) today!!

Funny thing is that I picked up other "stuff" with the game :woop: so I must be who Walmart was marketing for.

Say hello to my four pumpkins at $2.50 each :blunt:blunt:blunt:blunt lol

DarkCrown
10-20-2009, 11:18 PM
I buy the game this morning also (I didn't sleep the night to be sure to go at the store at 8am when it opened :P) and they had about 16 copy in the store :O

I also bought a shaver for my hair

lostmotiv
10-21-2009, 12:15 AM
since futureshop and best buy are having the same deal i bought the game online around 1am before i went 2 bed, selected in store pick up, walked in at 2pm and got my copy. I am not a fan of getting up early

Filter x360a
10-21-2009, 12:44 AM
I went to Walmart this morning here in Edmonton and they didn't get their shipment in, so I went to Best buy...same thing...grrr...decided to see if I could try to get a copy @ EB for cheap. No price matching, but if you trade in 2 $8 games (games they would give $8 for) they will sell it for $20. I was tempted, but tried the shitty Futureshop near my house (always out of stock) and got the last copy.

woo-hoo!