PDA

View Full Version : X-Box 360 live

Jade Falcon
02-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Well I've had my 360 for a short time now and never really thought about Live. However, I've got a months trial Gold membership with it, and if it works well, the yearly charge isn't that bad.

However, I tried to get connected and no luck. I used the supplied ethernet cable.

Now my PC system is using an external USB modem, so I tried the ICS method shown in the handbook. The connection test detects my wired connection, but always fails the IP address test.

I'm using the Nildram providor which is a dynamic IP, but still I can't get connected. So can anyone help a newbie in the X-Box Live world?

Additional question, I know you need gold membership to access the marketplace, but can you download free content with the silver, like for instances the santa costumes for Saints Row. Plus, do you get any MS Money points with your system?

Skillet
02-12-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't exactly know about the connection...you might have to manually address your 360 with an IP that isn't assigned to any other devices in your network. Webb would know more about that than me.

As for the downloadable content...yes, you can download content from the Marketplace with a Silver account. Some demos and exclusive stuff is not available...but that's usually only for a few days and it becomes available later.

No, you don't get any MS Points with your 360 or when you sign up for Live. You can download them from the Marketplace with a credit card though. Or just go to the store and buy a card like I do.

Jade Falcon
02-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Well I can get points easily at my local Game store, but until I can get connected, there's not much sense in doing so. I've trawled through the help system and still no luck. I contacted my ISP and confirmed that it was possible through them as the US helpdesk says that some ISP's may have issues with X-Box Live. They confirmed that they will work. I contacted MS and all I got was a copy of the help text I've already looked at. I tried entering the manual settings into the dashboard as suggested but still no connection. The firewall I'm using is the built in Windows XP one.

Webb
02-13-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm alright with routers, the thing is that ICS is new territory to me so I can't really help on that. The fact that on the XBL tests it comes back failed on the IP means that it can't pick up the signal.

Try whacking it into the forum search as I'm sure someone else had problems and solutions with this not long ago. Hope that helps, just remember to not ressurect them :p

KeiFo
02-13-2007, 07:46 PM
try this website out www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk (http://www.xboxlivetheguide.co.uk) i used it when i was setting up and it is very helpful you can also email the guy that runs it and he will help you out hope this helps.

Jade Falcon
02-13-2007, 09:21 PM
I finally got it with the help of the above site, thanks a lot guys. However, my most elementary error?

Believe it or not, you'll laugh at this, there's two ports in my PC, and I was using the wrong one. :)

Webb
02-13-2007, 09:24 PM
We're all human fella :D Nice one on getting it sorted. Now...

Welcome to the great world of XBox Live :D

Jade Falcon
02-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Okay, how do you get one of those gamertag signature images. :)

Webb
02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
You need photoshop and a friend who is awesome with it :p

Try requesting one in the media board, some people like to make them as a hobby. I personally can't use the program :p