PDA

View Full Version : Disk tray sticking

Beatonator
10-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Think my Xbox is on its last legs. The disk tray seems to stick and wont open.
Is there anyway to get the disk tray to open up easier? Any remedies?

I have a MW2 console on pre-order... need the bigger HDD and now this, its good time to ugrade. Thing is, I want to be able to trade my console in as its in perfect working order bar the CD-Tray.

I imagine its just the little band inside the tray seems to be slipping. It looks like its trying to open and occasionally does after I have pressed the button enough times, then it works fine again for a while.

Xbox is 2yrs old. So outside of generic 1 year warranty, and obviously isnt a RRoD so cant send it back under the 3yr warranty.

ToeFurB
10-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Chances are there is going to be no way for you to fix this with out opening the case and in turn voiding your warranty. Sorry man! That sucks!

Beatonator
10-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Nuts. Cheers man. Im tempted to open the case as its outside the normal warranty... As long as I can get the disk tray working again its fine as Gamestation offer warranty on all Pre-owned consoles... So if it breaks when some poor guy buys it from them, they can get it replaced.:woop:

Nozza XBA
10-16-2009, 01:20 PM
If your going to open it make sure its not noticeable when you return it, or they wont accept it back!

Really dont think there is a way to fix though unless you open it up. But if they notice that you've tampered with it they will void the warrenty return or just wont take it back for a re-sale...then you'll be left out of pocket!

Beatonator
10-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Yeah I thought that. Well its annoying as technically im gonna be out of pocket either way. Think what im gonna do is just trade it in, its pretty busy hopefully when everyone is buying MW2... They have my address for my pre-order... but lo andbehold perfect timing as im moving about a week before its released. Im thinking if I can get out the sore im home and free :P

Feel bad? Nope as I stated previously, whoever gets my Xbox will be covered by Gamestation.

EDIT: Just found a video which manually opens your disk tray for you... Didnt realise the Xbox 360 had a manual eject hole. DOH! also, apparently if you tap on the top it opens! Its the magnet inside is too strong.

Youtube video

Evo Kazz
10-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm glad I spotted this thread, I have a 2 year old Elite, and it has started doing the exact same thing as OP described. If pressed enough times it eventually opens, more often than not it works right away, but it is pretty common for it to stick. Tapping the tray does not work for me, but rebooting the 360 does! weird.

People keep saying the DVD Drive is on its last legs, but it is not a disc read issue, it plays games perfectly, performance is not affected, I always leave games I am playing in the console anyways, even when its off, so no big deal for me, but I do notice it when switching out games, any solution to this without opening up the box would be wicked, although I think the only way to sort would be for a replacement drive.

Jethrow
10-16-2009, 04:29 PM
well that video on how to eject the disc tray was pretty good to know. I mean i figured there must be a way to do it, in the event that happened to me.

Tufty
10-16-2009, 04:33 PM
This happens to me a lot. Force it open by shoveing a knife down it and pull it out.

FourChan
10-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Rub it with butter.

Revolver
10-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Sometimes my disc tray won't open so I simply turn it off and start it up again which solves my problem.
There was a moment a few days ago where I kept pressing the button to open it and it wouldn't budge which got me concerned as to how long it would be until I had to purchase a new 360 but so far my initial console hasn't let me down. :)

luckyluke02
10-16-2009, 08:49 PM
thanks for the video one of my old consoles did this so will no what to do if it happens to mine again

Evo Kazz
10-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Rub it with butter.

The console aswell lol

beer is gud
10-16-2009, 11:48 PM
I never knew the 360 had a manual eject button. Thanks for letting me know, this info may come in handy in the future, hopefully I'll never need to use this info though.

Beatonator
10-18-2009, 05:42 PM
thanks for the video one of my old consoles did this so will no what to do if it happens to mine again

I never knew the 360 had a manual eject button. Thanks for letting me know, this info may come in handy in the future, hopefully I'll never need to use this info though.

No worries, I figured if I ran into this problem others might. So I linked to the video.

There is a few other videos which involve opening up the console, but I think its better to do it this way until it proper gets screwy!:)

Tom115
10-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Mine does it occasionally too. Just knock it like you're knocking at a door.

FourChan
10-18-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah you'll probably have to get it serviced soon. Also did you notice that when you hit X on the dashboard it opens your tray when you have the game area highlighted?