PDA

View Full Version : Watchdog investigate MS

Blind Fool
02-13-2007, 07:44 PM
So tonight on Watchdog they were looking into the fact that people's 360;s are dying outside of warranty and MS aren't doing anything...

As everyone in the community knows this is nothing new expect in certain cases at least. However given that they are running this story then I would suggest if you are in the UK and have had dealings on this, then let them know and maybe they can pressure MS into doing something.

Watchdog Xbox360 Report (http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/consumer_goods/consumer_20070213.shtml)

Contact Watchdog (http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/contact_index.shtml)

The issue as I mentioned was tonight (Feb 13th) so if you email in the next few days you can use the "This weeks show" link.

I strongly urge any UK customer that has had an issue to email in, help get us better service in the future, for when the next xbox breaks!

AOS Puck
02-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the point of the report, but I can't think of any company who fixes products for free outside of warranty.

Webb
02-13-2007, 08:06 PM
In the UK there is a standard of care that all manufacturers must adhere to. Basically, in short, the rule is that you get what you pay for.

And I for one never got that, 300 for a year is ridiculous if you ask me.

And MS fix release consoles for free in the States ;)

AOS Puck
02-13-2007, 08:32 PM
In the UK there is a standard of care that all manufacturers must adhere to. Basically, in short, the rule is that you get what you pay for.

And I for one never got that, 300 for a year is ridiculous if you ask me.

And MS fix release consoles for free in the States ;)

Thanks for clearing that up, but I thought MS was fixing all release consoles that were made in 2005, not just the US ones. Wait, was the UK release after 2005?

Personally I always just buy a store warranty because they are cheap and easy. I paid $25 for a two year warranty that takes effect once Microsoft's one year warranty goes away.

Webb
02-13-2007, 08:55 PM
UK release was December 5th 2005

They were supposed to fix them but it appears that they have gone back on their word.

I never usually buy them as I always think that they will last longer, this is the first situation that it's bit me in the ass :(

AOS Puck
02-13-2007, 09:00 PM
I never usually buy them as I always think that they will last longer, this is the first situation that it's bit me in the ass :(

I used to think that way also until years ago one of my tvs died two days after the manufacturer's warranty expired. Since then, I've always bought an extended warranty as long as they are reasonably priced and I've saved thousands because of them.

Blind Fool
02-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Actually you waste money, otherwise you'd never get insurance because companies would lose out. You're better off putting the money for the extended warranty in a bank account and using it IF something goes wrong.

Waaaaaaaak
02-13-2007, 10:44 PM
The watchdog episode was pretty disappointing to be honest. What did M$ say.... "every case is unique" err.... don't think so. And that they look at every customer's situation individually - well why are we all being charged a standard 80 no matter what then???

Didn't seem that watchdog were taking it any further either. Jeez!

AOS Puck
02-13-2007, 11:27 PM
You're better off putting the money for the extended warranty in a bank account and using it IF something goes wrong.

So what you are saying is that I should've left the $25 I spent on the extended warranty in my bank account so that when this 360 dies after MS warranty expires , that $25 will somehow magically turn into the $400 I need for a new 360?

Sorry, I think spending $25 now is a lot cheaper than spending $400 later because we all know how "reliable" the 360s are.

Creech
02-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Actually you waste money, otherwise you'd never get insurance because companies would lose out. You're better off putting the money for the extended warranty in a bank account and using it IF something goes wrong.

That is true from a statistical point of view only. On an INDIVIDUAL basis, if you have an issue, this will bite you in the ass. If everybody did it, the population would have more money due to interest and such, but the individuals who actually had problems would have less money than if they had purchased the extended warranty.

This is the exact reason insurance companies exist and make money. LOTS of money as a general rule, because they understand statistics.

Can you tell I used to work for an insurance company? Does it show at all? Maybe a teeny tiny bit? LOL! :woop:

graemelunn
02-13-2007, 11:41 PM
I dont agree at all. I purchased a 5 year warranty for my Xbox360. It cost 69. IF (and the likelihood is better than probable) something were to happen to it, I take it back to the store and leave with a new one there and then. No 80 charge and no waiting for a repair. If I have one fault, I've already made a saving PLUS i'm not inconvenienced by having no machine. Sounds like that will get me further than putting my 69 in an account :confused: ?

Zef
02-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Where did you get the warranty? I might consider thinking about perhaps looking at the possibility of getting a warranty, I have my 05 Xbox and it is still humming as if it were new.

Unless I upgrade that is. Trade in the old one or sell it.

Webb
02-13-2007, 11:52 PM
I hate to wave something in your face now Graeme, but being a lawyer, I have to be a jackass sometimes :p

You did know that all goods purchased in the UK are covered by the Sale of Goods Act (79 I do believe) and this adds a statutory requirement that goods be of a "satisfactory quality" including the notion of durability. So technically, you have longer than your year when you buy goods of this nature ;)

graemelunn
02-14-2007, 12:40 AM
That's why I f***ing hate lawyers :rant: :boxer :p There is also the notion of "fit for purpose for a satisfactory length of time" Webb, as you know m'lud.
I am an arsehole and anyone whom tries any shit than that - I check their gamercard! If I can prove for them that they have barely used the thing and therefore have a claim under Sales of Goods Act - hell, even I back 'em to the hilt to get something out of MS on their behalf. If I can prove they don't - I'll quite happily see them in court - and have done on 5 occasions. I'm 5/5. :woop: If they don't have Live, I normally exercise what only some retail managers have - common sense. If they're within a month or two of their date of purchase I try to do everything I can to help them out. Longer than that? Here's Head Office's phone number...
Fact is that (as you found out) replacing an Xbox can be a costly thing - I personally would rather have the fall back of a guaranteed extended warranty than chancing it in an argument with a store manager armed with Citizens Advice, Trading Standards and a bunch of law quotes :p

EDIT: To make you feel loved - you were right - it is 1979 :)

EDIT II: @Zef - bought it at Currys.Digital since you ask

Webb
02-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Your even trying to sell when your on here now :p Don't do it Zef, I would say go to Dixons but your pissing in the same pot :p lol

Again, I don't learn from my mistakes and my new 360 is free from store bought warranties :p Tesco's will get the evil Webb on them if this one breaks :mad:

:D

graemelunn
02-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Mate - I can't sell shit laid up on the sick!
Zef could go to Dixons but he'd have a long walk - they don't have shops anymore :p and anyway my pot is pristine and piss-prepared lol.
You only bought it from Tesco for the Clubcard points lol
Comes down to this - some people believe in extended warranties. Some don't. It's down to personal choice. I choose to take them, Webb doesn't.
That's what makes the world a great thing. Replacement Xbox's :biglaugh

Webb
02-14-2007, 01:04 AM
lol

True, this is where Creech comes in and tries to sell us some insurance :p

Oh and I knew it was 79 as well ;)

graemelunn
02-14-2007, 01:21 AM
I know you did you lawyer-extraordinaire-to-be lol.
Changing the direction of this thread slightly (and this is probably not feasible) but wouldn't it be great if you could register all of your games and accessories through Live (redemption scratch panel card same as the LIVE trials?) so that this makes MS realise how much money they've had out of you. This could accrue on your account giving you a certain number of free warranty based services or extending your original warranty?

I have a dream... and Bill Gates crusheth it.

Webb
02-14-2007, 01:24 AM
MS will look at your idea and go...

"Right, thats a lot of effort, hmmmmmm, hows about, we leave it the way it is and we get richer"*

*I am by no means quoting any MS employee here :p

graemelunn
02-14-2007, 01:36 AM
MS will look at your idea and go...

"Right, thats a lot of effort, hmmmmmm, hows about, we leave it the way it is and we get richer"*

*I am by no means quoting any MS employee here :p
No, but you may as well be. They're happier milking money from people than keeping them happy. Windows Vista - WoW indeed!! :eek:

ewizard
02-14-2007, 04:15 AM
I just had my 2005 360 achieve the 3 red rings of death and it no longer works (should have an achievement point of 10,000 for this for any gamer so you can see how many suffer this issue).

I contacted MS since their news post of September 2006 said pre-2006 boxes would be repaired for free. Well guess what, two weeks ago without notification to the public, they changed policy - MS is once again shafting gamers with 2005 boxes. It now costs 150 USD to fix it (or basically to get a refurbished problem of someone else's and have it blow up again and again and again).

I have done everythign I can - contacted ASK ASA on channel 9 news, several newspapers, several posts on the internet, spoken with BS supervisors at MS through their wonderful 1800 4 myxbox, and spoken with my sister who is a lawyer and has me pursuing it through the BBB.

Now I have to sit back and wait. I love how MS has royally screwed their gaming community - of course you want to piss off the people who make you money - it seems sound and logical to me. duh!

Anyhow, the best is I can not cancel FFXI because I cant access it so Im getting charged monthly there, I just finished re-subscribing to xbox live for $50, and just bopught two new $60 games I cant even play. And now MS is crying the poor mouth and saying give me more money. Im paying them to send me someone elses garbage 360 that did not work either - thats what Im paying for!!!

MS has defunct machines but its within the 3-5% within reason supposedly with consumer affairs - well maybe consumer affairs should realize this is why they held back release of many 360s causing a "shortage" so they could keep within that 3-5% range.

Analyze this:

- Shortage to keep % of failures low so no recall becomes mandated.
- At $150 a repair, MS stands to make Millions more for doing nothing but the box shuffle between consumers.
- They DESIGNED the system to show 3 red rings of light when there is a hardware failure (why would you design this unless you knew it would happen? See original xbox 1 - no rings there!)
- They are able to update at any given time your 360 through xbox live, sometimes without your knowledge - I dont like that one bit. And that went over well with thei rpatch around Halloween, didn't it? A patch that needed a patch.
- Dead Rising infects hundreds of gamers, if not thousands, but MS says go see capcom. I still think that most gamers who experienced this were early adopters of the 360 with 2005 models and their system had issues with the program somehow. I experienced a problem with Dead Rising when I bought it - what I got was all my game saves deleted and an opps! sorry from MS support staff!

All I have to ask at this point is why would MS try to make me a Sony/Wii fanboi at this late time? You stand behind a company and support it, one would think that MS would stand behind its product and support it for the consumers - that 1 year warranty is garbage. I am probably going to be the first of many 360 screamers that come out in 2007 - you would to if you have a nice collection of 360 games valued at over $3k, pre-orders outstanding for things like guitar hero 2 for $90, and are now rendered unable to play the one thing that you use as an outlet in your life to wind down and relax. Its like taking drugs away from a daily user, and its not cool at all.

And when they say give me more money on top of the 400 you dish out for the original, plus not to mention you sleep online for it in the rain, you feel like a cheap hooker that just got robbed again by her pimp!

Well thats enough ranting by me - let the red rings of light take you MS and infect your Vista!!

Webb
02-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Well put wizard and I feel ya pain man, I had this problem over xmas but MS are getting the same as companies like EA.

Money motivated and don't give a shit about their customers :(

Zef
02-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Webb will have his own DS game soon. DaWebbmeister: More-ace attorney!

I thought you could only get store warranties if you buy the console at said store, if not then pot-pissery may commence unless it breaks on the way. Why I'd take it with me and how it will be switched on at the time I am unsure, perhaps some sort of A-team style improvised lemon battery?

fozza gump zzz
02-17-2007, 07:56 AM
my xbox has broken recently and i bought mine in december 05. i had it replaced once already by Dixons where i bought it from in March 06. Phone them yesterday and they said just bring it in store and we'll exchange it for you. It's more about the place you buy it from rather than Microsoft.