PDA

View Full Version : Installing to HDD

xhunterrrr
10-20-2009, 03:15 PM
So, I tend to install games to my HDD to reduce noise, wear and tear on the drive, etc. Anyone who has played the game: does it run better when installed to HDD or is it like Halo 3 where it runs better not installed?

The Incendiary
10-20-2009, 03:59 PM
So, I tend to install games to my HDD to reduce noise, wear and tear on the drive, etc. Anyone who has played the game: does it run better when installed to HDD or is it like Halo 3 where it runs better not installed?
I'd really like to know as well. If I am to assume without actually installing it, I'd think it would perform better (Fallout 3, a similar RPG loads waaayy faster when it's on my HDD then from the disc).

buknasty88
10-20-2009, 04:38 PM

I've haven't seen much of a difference to the game with it being installed. For me it just loads a little bit faster.

xhunterrrr
10-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I've haven't seen much of a difference to the game with it being installed. For me it just loads a little bit faster.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be installing it to HDD. Gotta make some room!

Will Daniels
10-20-2009, 06:09 PM
I wonder if this increases the risk of your HDD failing. It's reading from the drive more, which causes more wear on the drive motors....I dunno.

xhunterrrr
10-20-2009, 06:14 PM
I wonder if this increases the risk of your HDD failing. It's reading from the drive more, which causes more wear on the drive motors....I dunno.

HDDs are much more sturdy than the crappy DVD drives in Xbox 360s.

Will Daniels
10-20-2009, 06:22 PM
I agree. I was more or less wondering aloud. It would suck to have a hard drive crap out and lose your data.

Which reminds me, I need to make a copy with xplorer 360...

Kyai
10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
If you read from the disc constantly, the heat in addition to the wear and tear will cause a certain piece of the DVD to basically slip and while the motor says it's turning, it doesn't actually tear.

Hard drives are much more durable. They're use to reading and writing much much more than DVD players. Think about when you use your computer. So installing to the hard drive is a much better solution, in my opinion.

xx_0_0_xx
10-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Most game (99%) is recomended to install without Crackdown, Halo 3, DOA X2. Games after NXE must have option "install on hdd".

The Incendiary
10-21-2009, 05:21 AM
Sounds like a winner to me.

darka55a551n2
10-22-2009, 10:42 PM
the game is only 3.3 GBs too, so its actually pretty small :)

Dr Popodopolus
10-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Well I saw a Youtube video comparing load times and installing it to the HDD decreased them by around 5 seconds. Not really that much of a difference but I am guessing it will be quieter when installed to the HDD.