PDA

View Full Version : Gamefly just sent me “borderlands” so why am I saddened?

McKaystyles
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Yay for me! I just got a notice from gamefly that they are shipping me Borderlands! But.. I then read some reviews on the game and got sad… truns out its going to be the sweetest co-op exp ever but single player sucks bad as well as a complete lack of story. Apparently comparing this game to fallout 3 is apples and oranges as well as the fact that some of the classes kinda aren’t that great, etc. I have read a lot fo positive but everything seems to be pointing to the fact the game was way overhyped. What do you guys think they already have it, is it blowing your mind? Is it rocking your skull? Do you get salivate while playing it, just gimme a heads up my expectations feel a little crushed now…

Tiberian
10-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Haven't played the game but i've got it on order and i've noticed the same (review wise). Then again if you think about it, no game is perfect and peoples opinions on what is good and bad is differs quite a bit. Basically what i am getting at is, you may very well find yourself not bothered by what other people find a problem.

I will say, i really wouldn't buy this game unless you intend to play it with someone else, since co-op is going to be one of the biggest draws.

xhunterrrr
10-20-2009, 04:51 PM
If you actually read the reviews, most of the complaints are moot points. Like saving problems, for example. They just had no idea what they were talking about. Yes, the storyline is a bit shallow, but it is supposed to be all about guns! While the co-op is going to be awesome, I've watched a lot of single player gameplay and it looks fun as hell. Give the game a chance, I bet you will love it.

Side note: I am going to pick up my copy in about 20 minutes! Woo!

ImmortalArbiter
10-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't understand why people get all up in arms if games don't get 99% across all reviews. It's sitting at an 85% on Gamerankings, and that seems pretty good to me.

If I let reviews choose the games I played, I would have missed out on a lot of really fun experiences that others didn't like. Remember, reviews are just someone else's opinion... Formulate your own!

oDrPepper
10-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I know this game is going to be good, it's exactly the kind of game I'm into. Just because a reviewer thinks otherwise won't change my mind.

McKaystyles
10-20-2009, 05:00 PM
What I want from borderlands is a fallout 3 exp with more gunplay, lots of cool stuff and satisfaction. Here’s to hoping I get it!

oDrPepper
10-20-2009, 05:03 PM
What I want from borderlands is a fallout 3 exp with more gunplay, lots of cool stuff and satisfaction. Here’s to hoping I get it!

That's everybodys problem with this game, they are buying it and expecting another Fallout, but it's not, it's Borderlands.

tehwalrus
10-20-2009, 05:21 PM
I've got it, and the game is this - shoot stuff. Shoot more stuff. Grab loot, see if its good, reequip, sell the extra, then shoot more stuff.

If you like shooting stuff and going up levels, that's what this game has.

ZedChuva
10-20-2009, 05:21 PM
I was going to pick this up (only $40 here in Canada... haha), but the more I see on it, and the more I read, it feels like it's going to be another Fallout 3... and I really hate that game.

Oh well, it'll save me $40.

Spawn 0f Hell
10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Yay for me! I just got a notice from gamefly that they are shipping me Borderlands! But.. I then read some reviews on the game and got sad… truns out its going to be the sweetest co-op exp ever but single player sucks bad as well as a complete lack of story. Apparently comparing this game to fallout 3 is apples and oranges as well as the fact that some of the classes kinda aren’t that great, etc. I have read a lot fo positive but everything seems to be pointing to the fact the game was way overhyped. What do you guys think they already have it, is it blowing your mind? Is it rocking your skull? Do you get salivate while playing it, just gimme a heads up my expectations feel a little crushed now…

Remember how Peter Molyneux over-hyped Fable? The reviews tore him a new one too, hopefully this is the same: a great game but not as good as expected.

KNIGHTOFSERA
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Remember how Peter Molyneux over-hyped Fable? The reviews tore him a new one too, hopefully this is the same: a great game but not as good as expected.

they tore him a new one?......all I saw were 9s and up....I would have personally given Fable II a 7.5 or 8 and thats from a person whos bought the DLC

I dont have borderlands either but I want to play it, I have read a lot of places its way more entertaining to play it coop rather than alone

I also read it not as much like fallout as most think, even if it is I cant complain about that as Fallout 3 is awesome

hmmm maybe I should go rent borderlands

ILoveFawkzes
10-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Its alot like fallout 3, mixed with bioshock

Kyai
10-20-2009, 06:24 PM
It's Fallout 3 in the respect of always having to keep an eye on your ammo. Story line doesn't compare to Fallout 3, but the co-op is insanely fun.

It's like Diablo with the guns always dropping, never knowing what you're going to get. Complete crap or a destroyer of men.

It's like Halo with the shield, that you can wait to regen. (And that's all...unless you get the sticky grenade mod, then you have sticky grenades)

It's like Call of Duty because it's a first person shooter and reminds me of the game, with the exception of going prone. Except the co-op is much more fantastic.

In the end, I'd say it's more like Diablo than anything. But that's my opinion. And I played Diablo forever, so I'm cool with that. =P

xhunterrrr
10-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Do not doubt this game based on reviews! HOLY HELL! It is SO much fun. I am level 4 and have finished about a half dozen quests or so. I am loving this SO much. I can't wait until higher levels with skills and some kick-ass guns.

SwdPwnzDggr
10-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Borderlands isnt anything like Fall out 3 to me at all. To Me its more like Diablo 2 if anything. And no not like hellgate london was supposed to be like diablo 2. I have the game, got it last night at midnight and played to level 8, sadly i have class today. But the game is amazing i could see me playing this for months if not years just like Diablo 2 back in the day.

BlindxLink
10-20-2009, 07:55 PM
To be honest I hate reviewers.

Most reviewers give games like Halo 3, ODST, and Gays of War 2 10/10.

They say this was over hyped?

I lol at them.

Fuck reviewers saying anything bad about this game, the story is fine. There's just so many side missions I'm sure they get side tracked and miss the story line quests. But I'm sure if we had a talking Hologram fucking your ear the whole game, they'd piss on themselves.

D.A.N.
10-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Borderlands is great and it's getting great reviews. Alright, so it's not the best game ever. Story may not be a strong focus but you will have fun playing this game, and that is what matters. Games don't need story to be good. Super Mario Galaxy is the second best reviewed game of all-time and it has a very simple story that pales in comparison to games like say, Mass Effect. Doesn't mean it's a bad game. If story is a big element of your enjoyment of games that's fine, but it is NOT a necessity.

kloakaTV
10-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Well just played it today for what i've seen the game looks sweet.
And the gameplay is nice.

But again most people compare it with Fallout
DON'T DO THAT I REPEAT DON'T

Because Fallout 3 is the best game EVER made if you ask me.
But it's fun to play so far and i just made it to the begin lv 3.

KamikazeQ
10-20-2009, 09:50 PM
I think it's important to avoid comparing this to any other game to include Fallout 3 and Bioshock. If all you want is a new one of those you are always going to be disappointed if you don't get a carbon copy. Plus if you read any reviews you should look at them subjectively. I read reviews to see what the reviewer has to saw about the game but I could care less what score he gives it. He or she might be lookign for a different game experience than I am. One thing I hate about reviews is how 90% of the time you only get one point of view and that point of view may or may not reflect similar to your own.

Sparklykiss
10-20-2009, 10:05 PM
I was going to pick this up (only $40 here in Canada... haha), but the more I see on it, and the more I read, it feels like it's going to be another Fallout 3... and I really hate that game.

Oh well, it'll save me $40.
d;lajkeraiojfakdjfeoi
You should want to be buying it even more since it's cheaper in Canada-Land! This game is nothing like Fallout 3 and is completely unique.

Also: Co-op with friends who all start fresh together? Amazing.
Split screen is pretty much terrible and playing this alongside my sister is a huge damper on the gameplay. Split screen usually doesn't bug me, but the split screen on Borderlands is pretty bad. Justtt a sayin'.

Purge
10-20-2009, 10:10 PM
It's beecos it's so good. That's whi yer sad.

True Marvellous
10-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Has the OP been reading the same reviews I have or something.

Every review Ive read has said Great SP game but better in MP.

Rolyatkcinmai
10-20-2009, 10:35 PM
Coop games are made to be played in coop. Who knew?

Gackt
10-20-2009, 11:54 PM
comparing this game to fallout 3 There is your problem... stop comparing good games to crap games like Fallout 3.

I sure hope the hell you are wrong, I hated both of those games.

Frostbite123
10-21-2009, 12:10 AM
This game is excelent, fun but difficult you may end up replaying part of a misson 10, 20 times but it is always fun and i havent gotten mad at this like i have in other games. If you find people to play with pick that way out because it makes the game 100X more enjoyable to just wreck on the minnions or even have trouble on them. overall this game from what i have played is amazing

Devil Sora
10-21-2009, 12:57 AM
The few negative things I have to say about the game are simply this. . . .

having to be a certain level to use certain guns? Bull. . .

Not having it be a true TRUE sandbox game. . . you see something on the horizon I want to go there not be threatened by heavy turrets blocking my way.

Aside from that everything else is solid then again I have yet to dive deep into this game with having internet issues atm.

Thai J
10-21-2009, 05:17 AM
There is your problem... stop comparing good games to crap games like Fallout 3.

I sure hope the hell you are wrong, I hated both of those games.

I guess everyone has their own view on games, but I think you might have the worst taste in video game history.

Sporty Flea
10-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Lol. Wow.

agreed...wow..

And to EVERYONE making comparisons, to fall out 3, you are crazy, the game is nothing like it, if you think about it fallout 3 has very little shooting elements, have you tried fighting out of VATS?...People are making that comparison for bad reasons.

Borderlands, is some of the most pure fun I have had on the 360, it may not be the most artistic game I have played, or the deepest, but it ranks as some of the most entertaining gameplay, for me.

And I don't know what you guys are reading, all I can find are good reviews...

captain host
10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Borderlands=diablo 2 whit gun.
I forgot where but i killed rakanichu tonight whit a friend.Do fallout 3 have rakanichu? Hell no. :p

Andreas_loel
10-21-2009, 10:21 AM
It´s loot&wank

WHO THE FUCK CARES ABOUT THE STORY?

KNIGHTOFSERA
10-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Lol. Wow.

Yeah hes very adamant about hating fallout 3, even though he has 1550 on the PC version and 1000 on the console version........

who in their right mind plays a game they hate soo much to completion, and then buys the PC version to use the console commands to 100% it again

and again I dont see how you can hate Bioshock

still wishing I wasnt soo poor right now and could go buy borderlands......dont care much if the story sucks...I just want to jump in with some friends, find some awesome guns and kill things

Rudeboy Iggy
10-21-2009, 11:35 AM
But I'm sure if we had a talking Hologram fucking your ear the whole game, they'd piss on themselves.

Funniest thing I've read in a long time.

PunkyV2
10-21-2009, 11:58 AM

my thoughts exactly

cleric_80
10-21-2009, 12:15 PM
this game is AWESOME!!! I stayed up until 2am playing it & I don't usually do that considering what time I have to wake up.

I still don't know what the story is about aside from finding some kind of vault b/c we just had a 4-player grind session exploration & kill everything that moves party going on last night.

But it is AWESOME!!! it plays like HALO / COD and even has a "last stand" feature that results in you getting revived if you kill whatever put you down. Also has a revive teammate function but with guns falling out of your ass. It looks amazing for a stylized game which I'm not the biggest fan of ESP in the FPS genre.

I didn't know what to expect from this game but so far I'm not disappointed in the least! Hell I'm gonna buy a 4th copy for my friend so he can join in the fun!

MLG=Most Likely Gay
10-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Borderlands=diablo 2 whit gun.
I forgot where but i killed rakanichu tonight whit a friend.Do fallout 3 have rakanichu? Hell no. :p

I lol'd so hard i think i shit a little. thanks alot.:confused:

Ulquiorra14405
10-21-2009, 01:21 PM
hmm i liked diablo 2 for its loot system and story but if it has a very crappy/pointless story i won't get it even if it is cheaper here...i'm all about the storylines when a game dares to put an rpg tag on their game...i'll probably rent it to try it out but its a no go on buying for me now....MW2 comes out next month anyways and every1 that likes fps's will pretty much be moving to that