PDA

View Full Version : I'm so angry today =/

Darth
10-21-2009, 10:40 AM
I got to say that the guys that work in Game stop are the more incompetent dumba**es I ever met. So last night I went to my local game stop to pick up borderlands. I tell the guy that I have it pre ordered and he goes look for it. He comes back after about 25 minutes of looking =/ and he tries to sell me an opened copy of the game claiming it has never been played and is new... I mean wtf. :mad:. Not only he wasted my time but I have to wait until today afternoon to pick it up..... is Game stop everywhere so incompetent? also is borderlands a good single player game ( I'm not asking about the story but the fun factor) my friend is going to buy it but he is on vacation so for now I'm going to play sp unless other friends buy it.

KNIGHTOFSERA
10-21-2009, 10:46 AM
I got to say that the guys that work in Game stop are the more incompetent dumba**es I ever met. So last night I went to my local game stop to pick up borderlands. I tell the guy that I have it pre ordered and he goes look for it. He comes back after about 25 minutes of looking =/ and he tries to sell me an opened copy of the game claiming it has never been played and is new... I mean wtf. :mad:. Not only he wasted my time but I have to wait until today afternoon to pick it up..... is Game stop everywhere so incompetent? also is borderlands a good single player game ( I'm not asking about the story but the fun factor) my friend is going to buy it but he is on vacation so for now I'm going to play sp unless other friends buy it.

lol, my gamestops preorders are behind the counter, he just looks up me on the computer, goes to the glass and gets me a copy (unopened).....they probably played that copy they tried to give you

I dont have borderlands, but from the reviews, people, etc...they say that single player can get really boring and its best to play the game cooperatively

I really want the game now......too bad Im poor as hell right now

David x360a
10-21-2009, 10:59 AM
They said that Left 4 Dead was boring in singleplayer too, I don't agree with that.
I think this game will be fun in both SP and in co-op. I enjoy exploring by myself but I also enjoy co-op games so I think this will be great!

MASS DOMINATION
10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
the borderlands story is almost non-existent but the "fun-factor" is top notch. the more friends u have who can join the game the better. u basically go around doing mission to mission killing bandits, dicovering locations, finding guns and leveling up. its totally worth buying but (so far) i think the lack of story separates it from the very best shooters/rpgs (eg, mass effect).

cleric_80
10-21-2009, 12:24 PM
my gamestop ran out of non pre-order copies & accidentally sold my bro a pre-prder copy. Someone is gonna be pissed.

I've yet to have someone try to sell me an opened copy on release day when I have a pre-order but I promise you that if I do buy it I'm not gonna pay full retail for it that's for damn sure.

Jet1337
10-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Gamestop is 50/50 for me. Some times I'll have no problem with them and other times I'll get fucked over.

One time when I went to buy GH5 and I asked the dumb bitch if there were any used copies ( this was after 2-3 weeks ). She said there wasn't and I found that hard to believe, but whatever. I asked for a new copy and she goes over and gets a copy that was already opened, puts everything back in ( the manual, Van Halen mail-in sticker, etc... ), re-seals it with a fucking super sticker on top of the original security sticker ( right in front of me! ), and charges me full price!

Other times they fucked me over was when I pre-ordered a couple games and I didn't get the exclusive downloads that you can only get by pre-ordering!

Lucky for me, when I picked up Borderlands, the DLC code was inside and I didn't even pre-order it! xD

WootNyllon
10-21-2009, 03:09 PM
They were wrong to sell you an opened copy. Was it the last one they had, if so they sold your copy that u had reserved.

oEliteSniper X
10-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I know the guys at the one near me very well and I've been going to them for years. They've always done a great job, I guess it depends on who runs the store whether you get good service or not. I even worked at the one near me for some time and quality is job one at that store.

t4nd4r
10-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I dislike Gamestop as well, always bad experiences.

However, BORDERLANDS IS AWESOME!

The Finn
10-21-2009, 03:30 PM
It might be different in gamestop, but where I work here in the UK. We gut a lot of the games to get them out on the shelves. I know with you having pre-ordered it, you'd expect it to be unopened but they could've maybe needed the box to display the game with on the shelves.

Just a thought.

Pyrochaos
10-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Gamestop is trash. A trash terrible company with no respect for the industry they work in.

Evol Error
10-21-2009, 04:36 PM
lol, my gamestops preorders are behind the counter, he just looks up me on the computer, goes to the glass and gets me a copy (unopened).....they probably played that copy they tried to give you

I dont have borderlands, but from the reviews, people, etc...they say that single player can get really boring and its best to play the game cooperatively

I really want the game now......too bad Im poor as hell right now
My Gamestop does this the same way, 'goes and gets a new copy out from the glass casing.'

Darth
10-21-2009, 04:49 PM
yea I was so pissed at Game Stop... it wasn't the first time they pissed me off xD .... btw I didn't buy the opened copy yesterday.... I'm going to stop at a store later today to get a new copy

@ The Finn
Wow you are genius... I didn't know they needed to open it for display (sarcasm) xD xD
anyway once they open it it should be considered used at least thats what they say when you open a game lol xD
(http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=81985)

l MCLOVIN 808 l
10-21-2009, 05:53 PM
this happened to me when i got fallout, they gave me a scratched disk when i asked for a new one

AK46 Guerriero
10-21-2009, 06:00 PM
The games aren't used that they're selling you. The thing is, they can't keep the cases on the shelves with the game inside because they could easily get stolen so the put a few empty cases on the shelf for people to see, and keep the disk under the counter in a little slip. If all the un-opened ones are sold out, you get sold the box from the shelf with a brand new game.

I'm manager at an EB Games haha, trust me, we don't try and screw you over :p

Jet1337
10-21-2009, 06:19 PM
The thing is, they can't keep the cases on the shelves with the game inside because they could easily get stolen so the put a few empty cases on the shelf for people to see, and keep the disk under the counter in a little slip.

That's stupid.

Ever thought of displaying the games behind the counter? Or maybe get display models?

I couldn't give a rat's ass if they're used copies, but if they're new they should stay in the case, unopened.

Killer xSevenx
10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I have to agree when I buy a new game I want an unopened copy. Part of the new game experience is openingthe game for the first time. I know it sounds corny but I want to be the first person to handle the game. If they are going to sell me a new opened copy thats cool as well as long as there is a discount. Pre-orders should never be opened!!

Valiant Goat
10-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Any thing that goes out on the shelves in a Game Stop/EB is just an empty case so people don't steal the discs all day long. This leads to people eventually buying the last copy, which has been opened(to remove the disc, and anything else important). You do still get a disc that's never been played, but it's just not a factory sealed case. Since the OP pre-ordered the game, they must have either sold a pre-order copy to someone else by mistake or not have gotten enough copies delivered to fill all pre-orders.

Usually the clerk should explain why it's not sealed, or why they had to give that unsealed copy to a pre-order customer. I never had any problems with my local EB employees, before I started there. Hell, we even called people that pre-ordered Borderlands to tell them they could get it at WalMart for $40 on the release date. Just the luck of the draw in regards to who your store employs I guess.

Mufasa 1337
10-21-2009, 07:24 PM
I had a similar experience with Gamestop when I was buying Tales of Vesperia. I brought up the display case and the guy goes down into the drawers and gets out a paper disc case, takes the game out and puts it inside the box and says "That will be $60 something".

I said something and the guy gave me it for used price ($10 off or so) . When I looked at the disc and booklet, it was obvious they'd never been used before but the fact that it wasn't in it's original packaging with the plastic was a bit shady.

Rolyatkcinmai
10-21-2009, 07:24 PM
The games aren't used that they're selling you. The thing is, they can't keep the cases on the shelves with the game inside because they could easily get stolen so the put a few empty cases on the shelf for people to see, and keep the disk under the counter in a little slip. If all the un-opened ones are sold out, you get sold the box from the shelf with a brand new game.

My Gamestop has loads and loads of new games sitting on the shelves with the discs in them.. What are you on about? I've never seen them open one and remove the disc, that's absurd.

FYC Punker
10-21-2009, 09:03 PM
My Gamestop has loads and loads of new games sitting on the shelves with the discs in them.. What are you on about? I've never seen them open one and remove the disc, that's absurd.

EVERY Gamestop opens one case,takes the game out and displays it on the wall so it doesnt get stolen.

The game never gets played by anyone and you still get the same warrenty on it as you would if it had a seal thats why you still get charged for a new game.

Iam so sick of hearing people cry about how gamestop doesnt care or everyone who works at gamestop is stupid.

I will have you know that all the stores in my area (And yes i work at Gamestop) are all nice people who help every customer out.

If you dont like Gamestop,dont fucking shop there so you can cry about it on the internet later.

And OP no you should not have got a gut copy.

What you can do is take it back to your Gamestop,tell them it doesnt work and get a sealed one.

Problem solved!

Clearly people are way to proud to bash Gamestop to think of that.

:mad:

NaK Quinn
10-21-2009, 10:46 PM
^^ What he said. Plus, if you want to be constructive with your complaints, do it to our District Managers that tell us to do this. TRUST ME. WE ARE ALL GAMERS just like you, we dont want gutted copies either, but we have to do it if we want to keep our jobs. Write an e-mail to GameStop HQ or something, call your local GameStop and get the DM's number. Its not our fault......we have to, otherwise its gets stolen. People around here steal the empty cases.....

Valiant Goat
10-22-2009, 12:03 AM
I cry a little inside when I have to put a sticker on a used games sleeve.

bigquackster
10-22-2009, 08:49 AM
everyone in the gamestop near me are brain dead so i go to microplay, blockbuster and wal-mart =)

Jet1337
10-22-2009, 08:59 AM
I think GameCrazy is a helluva lot better than gamestop. They buff your disc if it gets scratched and they have a ton of old-school shit.

abanks47
10-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Kotaku did an article on this a few months ago.
http://kotaku.com/5205385/gamestop-sells-played-games-as-new-sources-say-practice-could-be-illegal

Gr8ness Defined
10-22-2009, 10:16 AM
It is not even worth it to mess with Gamestop in my area anymore. Wal-mart has the releases at midnight with no line. You might not get some BS unlock that GS will give you, but not waiting an hour of my time is worth that.

padraiglovesyou
10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Eh I don't think they're THAT bad but for a preorder I can see what you mean.

Siduakal77
10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
My gamestop is good, I buy around 20-30 games a year from there. They have sold me an open copy on launch day once, and it was on a really limited run of a game. The guy flat out told me "Yeah man, sorry.. someone this morning sold the preorder copy apparently and all we have left is the open one for display." No biggy. Grabbed the case off the wall and gave it to me.

If you guys get that bent out of shape over an open case, then you are wound way too tight.

raptor_256
10-22-2009, 01:04 PM
is not just the opened games that are the problem. i bought a game from my local EB. the guy went out the back and got me a sealed one (didn't ask for it) and when i got home opened the sealed case to find that someone, somewhere along the line had replaced the disk and boolet with scrap paper and a blank cd, with a note saying F**k you. luckily the guy that sold me the game was there when i went back, and remembered selling me a sealed copy. he got another sealed copy for me and checked that this one was in order.

we both had a good laugh about it.

StumblesMcGee
10-22-2009, 01:32 PM
GameStop is required by their corporate office to have at least 6 copies of a game case out on the floor for every game title they carry; or at least that's what we had to do at our store when I was working for GameStop. It didn't matter if the game was new or used; we'd have to open them up, strip their insides and then put the cases out on the floor. Disks and booklets/manuals would go in paper sleeves and be locked in a drawer. It was/is their security measure for those who try to steal from them.

Needless to say, GameStop sucks. Why? They pay their employees shit and expect the world out of them. They used to be more of a novelity store and now it's a small WalMart specializing in videogames, where you find yourself tripping over 6 yr olds. just to get to the 360 rack. I HATE IT!

I do, however, really enjoy Borderlands. That shit takes the cake for the month of October!

Pyrochaos
10-22-2009, 04:36 PM
My gamestop is good, I buy around 20-30 games a year from there. They have sold me an open copy on launch day once, and it was on a really limited run of a game. The guy flat out told me "Yeah man, sorry.. someone this morning sold the preorder copy apparently and all we have left is the open one for display." No biggy. Grabbed the case off the wall and gave it to me.

If you guys get that bent out of shape over an open case, then you are wound way too tight.

First off, it's not always the display game you are getting. Although that may be the case with fast selling titles, it's not the norm.

Gamestop got in trouble because they were letting employees take home games as "testers," and after the emplyees were done with the game they sold them opened as new.

http://kotaku.com/5205385/gamestop-sells-played-games-as-new-sources-say-practice-could-be-illegal

FYC Punker
10-23-2009, 12:43 AM
First off, it's not always the display game you are getting. Although that may be the case with fast selling titles, it's not the norm.

Gamestop got in trouble because they were letting employees take home games as "testers," and after the emplyees were done with the game they sold them opened as new.

Just so you know we still do that,and if you dont like it dont shop at Gamestop its not that big of a deal.

Rolyatkcinmai
10-23-2009, 01:37 AM
EVERY Gamestop opens one case,takes the game out and displays it on the wall so it doesnt get stolen.

Simply not true. Maybe most do, but the two near me routinely have sealed cases on their shelves, and I've purchased several without any need to have them retrieve the disc like they do for used games.

Kyai
10-23-2009, 02:48 AM
Simply not true. Maybe most do, but the two near me routinely have sealed cases on their shelves, and I've purchased several without any need to have them retrieve the disc like they do for used games.

I'm not sure how they are able to do that. I work at Gamestop also, and we're -required- to have a least 1 gut on the wall. Notice, I said gut not sealed copy.

However, to the OP, I don't see the reason to get all bent out of shape unless you're just OCD or something. No employee took it home and played it, because for one, it's a "hot title" so that's a restriction. And two, it has to be released for at least a week, so that's the second restriction. They just sold all of their sealed copies somewhere along the line, be it from mistake or that stores individual routine. And no, it shouldn't be sold as "used" or "pre-owned" because it was never played by anyone at all.

Also, we also have people who steal empty boxes. So imagine if we kept live discs on the wall?

Dahaka
10-23-2009, 03:15 AM

quoted for truth.

Filapano
10-23-2009, 06:01 AM
I can't say what the GA did was wrong...

I work for a GameStop so I see everything a bit differently than the customers do. My store sells copys to walk-ins. Doesn't matter if they reserved it or not. At the end of the day depending on how many are sold the store gets replenished that quantity, and then some.

But if we do run out then the manager takes the heat :p

JesusBread
10-23-2009, 06:33 AM

Maybe at your EB games the games aren't used, but not all stores are like that. I know that at a store my friend works at, employees are allowed to take home gutted games, play them and then bring them back.

Cloak
10-23-2009, 07:23 AM
QQ..either stop shopping there or stfu...your bitching does nothing on the internet.

RydiaFromFF2
10-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Our Gamestop (Murfreesboro, TN) sold us an opened box of Borderlands. It was Wends when I got it. They ran outa the Slips that gave the weapon code and got spares from the GS from the mall litterally down the road. I saw a few more people that was in line get it that way too, so I believed em.

TheOnlyDogMan
10-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Its funny, they still haven't figured out that all they need to do to avoid gutting is to get publishers to send a half dozen cover slips to each store. You have a pile of blank XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii filler cases, then when new games come in you throw the dummy covers inside them. The cases on the shelf stay the same and you merely have to rotate them as new games come in. The inventory can then be stocked away safely, all factory sealed and fresh, while still having a strong display on the floor.
Hell, if they were really smart they'd get the publishers to allow them to print their own cover slips in store. That would allow them to customise the slip with their branding and inventory management junk.

Its not rocket science.

AK46 Guerriero
10-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Its funny, they still haven't figured out that all they need to do to avoid gutting is to get publishers to send a half dozen cover slips to each store. You have a pile of blank XBOX 360, PS3 and Wii filler cases, then when new games come in you throw the dummy covers inside them. The cases on the shelf stay the same and you merely have to rotate them as new games come in. The inventory can then be stocked away safely, all factory sealed and fresh, while still having a strong display on the floor.
Hell, if they were really smart they'd get the publishers to allow them to print their own cover slips in store. That would allow them to customise the slip with their branding and inventory management junk.

Its not rocket science.

You would need a TON of empty boxes then if you want to display all or most of the games you have to sell :/

Dark2099
10-23-2009, 01:28 PM
EB games (aka Gamestop) is great where I live. Preorders are always in on time and they make sure to have them readily available behind the front counter. I don't even need to give them my information most of the time because the manager knows who I am. They do still use the method of opening a handful of boxes to use as display and keeping the discs in the back, but never if it is a preorder. With the amount of games and people coming in and out all day there is just no way they could have the discs out on the display shelves so I understand why they do it.

Quite honestly the only thing that really annoys me about the company is seeing a brand new game for (lets say) $59, and then looking slightly to the left and seeing the used copy for $55. The Xbox HDD is even more insulting... brand new 120gb is something like $160, and the used one is a dollar less, $159. It is a little annoying seeing old games so expensive too... I saw CoD3 (used) there the other day for $60! WTF?

Sha
10-23-2009, 01:33 PM
As long as there's a sucker out there who actually pays $60 for an old game, that will never change :)

It's like xbox marketplace and the increasing prices of the games, or the avatar clothes.

AK46 Guerriero
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
EB games (aka Gamestop) is great where I live. Preorders are always in on time and they make sure to have them readily available behind the front counter. I don't even need to give them my information most of the time because the manager knows who I am. They do still use the method of opening a handful of boxes to use as display and keeping the discs in the back, but never if it is a preorder. With the amount of games and people coming in and out all day there is just no way they could have the discs out on the display shelves so I understand why they do it.

Quite honestly the only thing that really annoys me about the company is seeing a brand new game for (lets say) $59, and then looking slightly to the left and seeing the used copy for $55. The Xbox HDD is even more insulting... brand new 120gb is something like $160, and the used one is a dollar less, $159. It is a little annoying seeing old games so expensive too... I saw CoD3 (used) there the other day for $60! WTF?

haha, but sometimes you get lucky. My brother got Guitar Hero 3 a wek after it came out for only 8 dollars used :P

kidd657
10-23-2009, 03:54 PM

I'm manager at an EB Games haha, trust me, we don't try and screw you over :p you my friend are lying.. i used to work for gamestop.. everyone knows employees can "check-out" video games....

AK46 Guerriero
10-23-2009, 05:03 PM
you my friend are lying.. i used to work for gamestop.. everyone knows employees can "check-out" video games....

Yeah but I'm not denying that, the thing is though you can not "check-out" a hot release as they call them. You can only do it with games that don't get much attention. Even at that, the owner of the store where I work does NOT allow anyone to take home games, he doesn't think it is right for them to do.

MCurley
10-23-2009, 10:18 PM

You are either reading prices incorrectly, looking at backstock (which doesn't need to be updated), or the store isn't pricing things correctly.

The 120GB HDD is $99.99
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73822

Call of Duty 3 is $14.99
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=60735

crazy W01f 816
10-23-2009, 11:08 PM
I hate that when I go there I'm treated like I've never played a video game before. Everytime they ask me if I want to buy latest release or if I upgraded my systems with certain accessories. And if they ask if I want a subscription to Game Informer one more time I think I'm going to explode.

Kyai
10-23-2009, 11:19 PM
I hate that when I go there I'm treated like I've never played a video game before. Everytime they ask me if I want to buy latest release or if I upgraded my systems with certain accessories. And if they ask if I want a subscription to Game Informer one more time I think I'm going to explode.

For the Game Informer subscription...yes, it really does suck. Being an employee, we MUST ask customers for it, especially if they're buying used games. If we don't do it, we get heat from the manager. If the store doesn't meet a certain percentage quota, then they get griped out by the district manager. I hate pitching game informer, honestly. =\ But we must. It's part of what our hours each week are based off of.

TheGoldenReaper
10-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Gamestop sucks. I can't believe people still buy games from there.

TechNoir
10-24-2009, 12:26 AM
I Find what this thread has become hilarious. I annoys me, but in that way that makes me laugh.

The OP should have got a sealed copy, no question. Pre-order. Sealed. Ready. Bam.

But now many of you are all like,
"Gamestop are fucked, they sell open games, wah, I dont like them, wah".

Well do any of you take advantage of the "7 Day Return" option. If you don't like the game within 7 days, you take it back, get something else, yeh?

What do you think happens to the game you returned?
Do you think they make it a pre-owned copy, like you traded it in?
Do you think they send it back to the publisher, saying, "Sorry, they didn't like this one"?
Do you think they throw it in the bin?

No, it goes back on shelf, as a new copy. If it didn't, and they Pre-owned every copy that got 7 day returned, they'd lose money.

And sometimes, although not often, games don't come shrink wrapped to begin with. I personally think they should, but still.....big deal.

I also don't understand what your problem is with the staff borrowing games, do you feel like they're sucking some of the experience or fun off the disc? That if you play that copy your not getting the full game because part of it has been taken by the last person that played it?

That fucking stupid.

Before anyone starts flaming me, yes, yes, i work in a game store. No, its not game spot, I live in Australia.

MCurley
10-24-2009, 12:33 AM
I Find what this thread has become hilarious. I annoys me, but in that way that makes me laugh.

The OP should have got a sealed copy, no question. Pre-order. Sealed. Ready. Bam.

But now many of you are all like,
"Gamestop are fucked, they sell open games, wah, I dont like them, wah".

Well do any of you take advantage of the "7 Day Return" option. If you don't like the game within 7 days, you take it back, get something else, yeh?

What do you think happens to the game you returned?
Do you think they make it a pre-owned copy, like you traded it in?
Do you think they send it back to the publisher, saying, "Sorry, they didn't like this one"?
Do you think they throw it in the bin?

No, it goes back on shelf, as a new copy. If it didn't, and they Pre-owned every copy that got 7 day returned, they'd lose money.

And sometimes, although not often, games don't come shrink wrapped to begin with. I personally think they should, but still.....big deal.

I also don't understand what your problem is with the staff borrowing games, do you feel like they're sucking some of the experience or fun off the disc? That if you play that copy your not getting the full game because part of it has been taken by the last person that played it?

That fucking stupid.

Before anyone starts flaming me, yes, yes, i work in a game store. No, its not game spot, I live in Australia.

The 7 day policy is for used games. If they're new, they can only be returned if they are sealed. New games stay new. Used games continue to be used.

TechNoir
10-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Thats weird. It's different here. You can "7 Day" anything except PC and hardware.

FYC Punker
10-24-2009, 01:11 AM

Its not rocket science.

If you worked at Gamestop you would know this wont work.

Another reason why we "Gut" games is so we know how many copys are left.

What happens when someone brings up a case we have displayed on the wall and we dont have anymore?

They throw a shit-fit and demand a million dollers off another game there gonna pick out.

Your idea isnt stupid,and BTW Gamestop HAS tried that but it doesnt work.

Kyai
10-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Thats weird. It's different here. You can "7 Day" anything except PC and hardware.

That's really odd. o.O I've only seen it done with pre-owned, never new.

Rolyatkcinmai
10-24-2009, 01:24 AM

I sincerely doubt that. Company policy wouldn't change that drastically from location to location.

TheOnlyDogMan
10-24-2009, 02:06 AM
You would need a TON of empty boxes then if you want to display all or most of the games you have to sell :/

They are extremely cheap. Most stores that sell DVDs here use blank cases as spacers, and if they happen to sell video games they use the appropriate cases. I know independent stores that do it, so it should be a walk in the park for GameStop (especially considering how many replacement cases they must go through for their second hand stock).
You don't need that many either. Obviously the current system works fine for used games, so you'd limit it to new games. I think that's where the problem is. They do a ton of used game sales so its easier for them to just run the new games through the same (or extremely similar) procedures.

Another reason why we "Gut" games is so we know how many copys are left.

To sell a game, the display case is brought to the counter. When you normally put the cases back on the shelves, you check the system and see how many copies you have in stock. If its more than the amount of dummies you have, you put them all out, otherwise you adjust until 0. I would be very surprised if your existing system couldn't handle.
Even factoring in the amount of effort making and tracking the dummies manually takes its a lot less hassle than the current system you guys use. You're doing all the reshelving work anyway, you're taking the time to open the game and remove anything valuable, and you're wasting time with the 'well I wont pay more than $10 for a used game!' crowd.
If you were really lazy you could wait until the last copy is sold then just walk over and grab all the dummies (rather than counting them down). If you really, really wanted to be lazy you could just stick with your existing system, but where you normally open a game, you make up a dummy, and put the copies you were going to open in a different area designated for floor items. When you run out of unopened games in the normal spot, you check the floor items, take out an unopened copy and put in a dummy copy.

Personally I don't care that much as long as the game is in mint new condition I'm fine*. I just find it really strange that a few chains like EB and GameStop insist on doing it even though there are plenty of other stores, from independents to chains, who will sell me an unopened game every time.

*Just as a matter of co-incidence, none of the shops I buy from sell opened games unless they're second hand.

FYC Punker
10-24-2009, 02:47 AM
^

Once again like i said if you worked at Gamestop you would understand why this wouldnt work.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to fix the walls when there is only 1 case for each game?

No you dont.

You dont work at Gamestop,you dont know how it works "On the inside" so dont think your a genius because you came up with this "Simple" idea that ONCE again like i said has been tried by EB and Gamestop...IT DIDNT WORK.

EDIT:

Oh and also we cant just "Check the system" to see how many copys we have left only managers can do that and it would take up to much time and effort the reason Gamestop does its "Guts" is because its fast,simple,and easy to track.

Your argument is pointless because you have no idea how anything in Gamestop even works.

Feel My Rage
10-24-2009, 04:39 AM
FYC Punker, I gotta say, I'm kinda enjoying DogMan and your conversation. Its pretty amusing. Now, I don't work for gamestop (I do have an application for the store though), and I prefer to do my video game shopping at a place called Play 'N' Trade......but I can see what you're talking about even if DogMan can't.

Fact of the matter is that, while what DogMan says could be good, and has been proven to not work....its just not economically sound to do that. I mean, you're making TONS of cases (and covers) for games, and the things won't be sold. GS will lose money doing that, which is most likely the reason they arn't doing it now, right?

FYC Punker
10-24-2009, 06:09 AM
FYC Punker, I gotta say, I'm kinda enjoying DogMan and your conversation. Its pretty amusing. Now, I don't work for gamestop (I do have an application for the store though), and I prefer to do my video game shopping at a place called Play 'N' Trade......but I can see what you're talking about even if DogMan can't.

Fact of the matter is that, while what DogMan says could be good, and has been proven to not work....its just not economically sound to do that. I mean, you're making TONS of cases (and covers) for games, and the things won't be sold. GS will lose money doing that, which is most likely the reason they arn't doing it now, right?

No its not becuase of money.

Go into Gamestop the next time you get a chance and go to any used games section,we have a TON of cases without the original artwork for used games becuase sometimes games get traded without cases.

Its not hard to make cases at all,its hard however to maintain the walls when you have that many "Fake" cases out there,not to mention the fact that people want to see the original art work for a new game.

Simply put its to much to keep up with and it doesnt make the store look good,plus like i have said it just makes it easy when we know we only have one copy of a game left.

Feel My Rage
10-24-2009, 06:23 AM
Ah, okay, I see what you're saying Punker.....but, either way, making a bunch of cases that are just gonna sit on the shelves isn't cost effective.....from a MicroEconomics stand point anyways.

Also, I never said it was hard...i mean, its friggin plastic. All you need is some plastic and a machine and BAM. You got yourself some game/cd/dvd cases.

The Finn
10-25-2009, 11:31 AM
I work in a games shop in the UK, we run things a whole load differently to most other stores it would seem.

Games, new AND used get gutted to go out onto the shop floor. So people don't steal them and we lose money. Normally only a couple are gutted to make up a good visual on the floor. Other, sealed copies are kept to sell first. As someone noted earlier on, putting a display case out on the shop floor only ever leads to problems. People want to know why your displaying the game if you have no stock. Think this doesn't happen? Guitar Hero inserts are left on the shop floor and if we're out of stock these display inserts are still out there and constantly people complain.

As for the pre-orders, we normally keep a bunch of copies to the side (un-opened) so that every preorder gets a brand new sealed copy. UNLESS we don't have enough to put up a proper display. You know sometimes there are merchendising plans we have to follow.

Returns work similarly to the guy from Australia. Except you have 10 days if it's not what your looking for, New or used. 30 days if the game isn't working also. If people are bringing back games constantly saying it's not what they wanted then they stop getting returns because it then becomes like a rental service.

Finally as for getting to borrow new games, I think that's ridiculous. It's not new once someone has used it...that's the definition surely? Employee's are only allowed to borrow pre-owned games, which I think it highly fair. It keeps the employee's knowledge of games in top form and allows us to help customers get what they actually want.

As for people complaining about staff at game shops...do you understand how annoying some customers are? If a game's pre-owned...why would you expect it to be in mint condition? It's already been used, I really don't understand it. Also, why is it that people vent at us for the high prices of games when the pricing simply has nothing to do with us. It's publishers/distributers that makes games expensive...not the retailers. And finally, why complain that your getting a fiver for a game you bought when your 360 came out? You've most likely had the game for roughly three to four years, completed and won't ever use it again. So why then should you get a full refund for the game, which was most likely never even bought in the store your trading it into?

Some food for thought for all the people who love to endlessly complain about staff that have to put up with the rubbish above.

Jet1337
10-25-2009, 11:38 AM
I only complain when the staff don't give me my pre-order exclusives when I actually pre-order the game.

Bradqqqqqqqqqqq
10-25-2009, 12:00 PM
My game stop keeps new games un opened under the counter with other cases indicating how many are in stock. Just like blockbuster (except if you rented new movies)

FYC Punker
10-25-2009, 12:23 PM
My game stop keeps new games un opened under the counter with other cases indicating how many are in stock. Just like blockbuster (except if you rented new movies)

Yeah im sure they do for used games,but only one case for each new game.

UndeadJestar
10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
in gamestops if the employees play the game or bring the game home to play it still counts as new cause it has "never left the store's ownership" or some shit like that, i know i used to work at one

YoungFate
10-26-2009, 06:47 PM
You guys have no idea what it means when you get a opened new game.

Most game stops are not big enough to keep a big case full of new games.

So they take the disk out of the case and sit the case on the shelf. The game is kept in a sleeve and put away.

Only thing your missing is the cellophane wrapping. You guys need to learn your stuff and quit your bitching.

roy1751
10-26-2009, 07:22 PM
an amazing number of gamestop empoyees are members of this forum, defending their glorified pawn shops. real gamers don't shop there, and I would say real gamers don't work there but I understand you guys need the money. but STFU about the gutting games bullshit, have some respect for yourself and get a job somewhere else.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070330.jpg

FYC Punker
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
an amazing number of gamestop empoyees are members of this forum, defending their glorified pawn shops. real gamers don't shop there, and I would say real gamers don't work there but I understand you guys need the money. but STFU about the gutting games bullshit, have some respect for yourself and get a job somewhere else.

Ignorance at its best.

Kyai
10-26-2009, 08:06 PM

"Real gamers" don't shop there? Who are you to say who's a "real gamer"? I shopped there long before I worked there. That's actually how I got hired in the first place, because of my knowledge about various games at the time. So don't tell us that we don't have respect for ourselves because we work at Gamestop.

On top of that, with unemployment at 9.8% nationwide and on a rising trend, just "get a job somewhere else" doesn't quite work when everyone is fighting for whatever they can get. But that really doesn't matter, since working at Gamestop isn't so bad anyways. So STFU and learn about the real world.

EDIT:
Unemployment numbers taken from http://www.bls.gov/cps/

a blind beggar
10-26-2009, 09:51 PM
i've never had problems with them(in ireland).the people that work there are pretty cool too.btw,@ jet1337,how are the guns?

Ionus
10-26-2009, 10:13 PM
New= never opened.

I knew some of those guys that worked at Software Etc. And they would take those games in the drawer home to play during the night.

Not saying all stores are like that. But stores like EB games should just ask the company to send them and empty case for display.. How hard would that be???

But I think the point of the OP was that he Pre-Ordered it, and they didn't have it for him. This has been a problem I have encountered as well.

So if I pre-order from Gamestop I do so online and have it sent to me. I did that with Borderlands and I got it the day after it came out in stores (wednesday). And I always just use the $2.99 5-10 day shipping, they send them all out on the same day :)

As far as is the game fun single player? Yes for the first couple of times, then not so much. This game really has no story, and getting good items is hit and miss, probably get better loot online in large groups, but that can be kinda chaotic.

Starwarskd
10-26-2009, 10:47 PM
I buy all my games from gamestop and the guys in my area are really cool and they are all really helpful... I litterally bought every single game i own from gamestop, and i've never had problems. Maybe im just lucky.
Sucks for you though, sounds like the guys in your area are all dumb.

iNf3Rn0 Zamar
10-26-2009, 11:10 PM
complain! make some crazy demand that they must meet or you will sue them... WITH LAWYERS!!! That gets them everytime....

roy1751
10-27-2009, 04:51 PM
On top of that, with unemployment at 9.8% nationwide and on a rising trend, just "get a job somewhere else" doesn't quite work when everyone is fighting for whatever they can get. But that really doesn't matter, since working at Gamestop isn't so bad anyways. So STFU and learn about the real world.

the real world learning deficit is on your side. out here people get paid what they're worth for skills and experience, not fighting for their unskilled labor dead end jobs and coming on forums to defend them.

FYC Punker
10-27-2009, 07:05 PM
the real world learning deficit is on your side. out here people get paid what they're worth for skills and experience, not fighting for their unskilled labor dead end jobs and coming on forums to defend them.

Iam not defending my job,iam defending myself becuase people like to come on the interwebs and bitch about Gamestop employes being stupid.

If your going to attack the company thats different,but if your going to attack the employes you better belive iam going to stand and fight for my self respect,which i apperently "Dont have".

Just becuase i work at Gamestop doesnt mean iam personally an idiot or that i dont know shit about video games,seeing as how i was playing games proboly before most of you were born.

People are ignorant,and its one of the most things i hate.

Laertus
10-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Other than rude employees I normally don't have a problem with GameStop. I was rather disappointed when I pre-ordered Borderlands, they phoned me to come pick it up and then they had sold it when I got to the store. I submitted an e-mail to the District Manager and never got a reply so I can't say I'm impressed at all with their idea of customer service.

raptor_256
10-28-2009, 01:52 PM
i definately take advantage of the 7 day returns policy. i usually hit games hard for both gamescore and finish quickly before i get bored (i usually only do one playthrough of any given game.) and they'll do it for any game - new or old. not excessive playing either 15-20 hrs for the week, 2-3/day, 5 or 6 on weekeds

hell i got terminator salvation (for easy gamescore) and took it back 4 hrs later cause i'd finished it. they were happy to swap it for something else. i think they knew how quick it was too finish.