PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Question!

BloodGodAlucard
10-22-2009, 05:39 PM
I was under the impression that this was an action rpg kind of like Fable 2. Is that right? I just watched a couple of gameplay vids and it looked more like WOW, which I hated. Because you could only click a target and then order your character to attack. I like to be in control of the combat ala hack and slash style. Is this game like that or more like WOW? I really need an answer to this question since I pro-ordered this game under false pretenses. The guy I talked to at Best Buy sssured me it was action based. I just need to know if that true or not, since I have other stuff I would much rather spend my money on if he lied. Please respond. Please.

gmorra
10-22-2009, 05:53 PM
I was under the impression that this was an action rpg kind of like Fable 2. Is that right? I just watched a couple of gameplay vids and it looked more like WOW, which I hated. Because you could only click a target and then order your character to attack. I like to be in control of the combat ala hack and slash style. Is this game like that or more like WOW? I really need an answer to this question since I pro-ordered this game under false pretenses. The guy I talked to at Best Buy sssured me it was action based. I just need to know if that true or not, since I have other stuff I would much rather spend my money on if he lied. Please respond. Please.

It is an action rpg bro. But there is the choice of it being more strategic and turn base with top down view and all. But you don't have to play that way if you don't want to!

BloodGodAlucard
10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
So you're not actually in control of the attakcing then. You juck select a target and then the guy attacks it for you? Is that correct?

gmorra
10-22-2009, 06:39 PM
So you're not actually in control of the attakcing then. You juck select a target and then the guy attacks it for you? Is that correct?

Dude, like I said...you can choose how you want to play. If you want to run up to guys and start attacking them in real-time then you can do that! Just like fable only better, lol. It has more of a feeling like mass effect with swords, although not as stiff.

Similiar to how Borderlands is like Diablo with guns!

TwistedFate
10-22-2009, 06:59 PM
If there is something you would rather have, get it. If you are doubting it already, and the style of combat is the thing that decides whether you love it or hate it, you will be disappointed no matter what. You don't want the game, you want the mechanics, and that is a recipe for disaster.

BloodGodAlucard
10-22-2009, 07:03 PM
Well now I'm confused. I just checked out that thread about the 25 minutes of gameplay vids. And they all look very WOW esque. aka no running up and attacking. Just select target and let the game play itself. Is this what you consider action? OR is that style of gameplay not being shown in the vids? I could really use an answer here. I want to like this game. I love Bioware. I just don't think if it's like those vids that I'll be able to enjoy it. So could you please answer this question for me?

TwistedFate
10-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Well now I'm confused. I just checked out that thread about the 25 minutes of gameplay vids. And they all look very WOW esque. aka no running up and attacking. Just select target and let the game play itself. Is this what you consider action? OR is that style of gameplay not being shown in the vids? I could really use an answer here. I want to like this game. I love Bioware. I just don't think if it's like those vids that I'll be able to enjoy it. So could you please answer this question for me?

That vid is from February and from the PC version. That may not be exactly like the 360 version.

Just cancel your preorder. If it turns out to be the kind of combat you like, you can always buy it later.

gmorra
10-22-2009, 07:09 PM

:eek::eek::eek:
OMG DUDE, how many times I gotta tell you!? YOU CAN CHOOSE HOW YOU WANT TO PLAY!!!!!! THERE IS AN OPTION TO PLAY WOW STYLE!!!!!!!!! BUT.....YOU.....DON'T....HAVE....TO!!!!!!

"As with the Baldur's Gate series, players will be able to issue orders to NPCs in real time or while the game is paused, and queue up actions such as spells and special attacks"

"The camera will be over the shoulder third person view when zoomed in, and an isometric-style view when zoomed out."

BloodGodAlucard
10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Okay, maybe you're not understanding what I was saying. I don't want to issue commands or use spells in real time. I want Ninja Gaiden in an rpg form. Sorry but that's as clear as I can make it. I've decided I don't want this game. I just wanted to make it clear that this is not what most people consider an action rpg and you should really stop referring to it as such. It's confusing. When I hear action rpg, I think hack and slash with magic and deep customization with an excellent story. Maybe we were just on different wave lengths. I hope this clears up any confusion. I am disappointed though. I really wanted to like this game. Not to mention that now I won't be able to get that sweet Blood Dragon Armor for Mass Effect 2. That's a bummer. Still, no cool in game perk is worth playing a game you won't enjoy just to gain access to it.

gmorra
10-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Okay, maybe you're not understanding what I was saying. I don't want to issue commands or use spells in real time. I want Ninja Gaiden in an rpg form. Sorry but that's as clear as I can make it. I've decided I don't want this game. I just wanted to make it clear that this is not what most people consider an action rpg and you should really stop referring to it as such. It's confusing. When I hear action rpg, I think hack and slash with magic and deep customization with an excellent story. Maybe we were just on different wave lengths. I hope this clears up any confusion. I am disappointed though. I really wanted to like this game. Not to mention that now I won't be able to get that sweet Blood Dragon Armor for Mass Effect 2. That's a bummer. Still, no cool in game perk is worth playing a game you won't enjoy just to gain access to it.

So you don't want to issue commands or use spells in real time....
And you like Mass Effect? Your right, I am confused!?:confused:

"Biotics: similar to magical attacks or force powers in other games."

BloodGodAlucard
10-22-2009, 08:00 PM
That's not what I meant. I just meant that you were explaining that you could do that stuff and that's what made it an action rpg. I was just stating that all of that should go without saying in an ACTION rpg. You should be able to do everything in real time. That's what makes it action. Sorry to use this lame example, but like I said before basically Ninja Gaiden in rpg form. Maybe not that over the top. But at least measure up to Fable 2's combat. This story and world look so deep. I just think if they had gone with a combat system like Fable it would be a much better game overall.

TwistedFate
10-22-2009, 08:27 PM
This story and world look so deep. I just think if they had gone with a combat system like Fable it would be a much better game overall.

Sorry, but I think you're wrong here. This game features multi-character parties. The games you hold up as examples are single character parties. If they made it the way you want, it wouldn't be possible to to issues commands to the other members of your party leaving you without much control over battles at all.

You may feel it's more fun to have direct control over your character, but when you have a party of more than 1, it's not fun at all as you watch inadequate AI trying to fight alongside of you knowing you can't do anything about it when they run off to do everything except the thing you want them to do. You can't plan tactics when you don't know what your team mates are going to do.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think this game would suffer greatly if it played like Fable. Fable was fun, but this isn't Fable and shouldn't try to be.

BloodGodAlucard
10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I agree with you to a certain extent, but I disagree with you greatly in other respects. You're 100% correct that I want full control over my selected character, but the same goes for the other players when I swap out to them. As far as the bad AI, I know where you're coming from. But what if they did something like in Tales of Vesperia where you could pre-select different options for every conceivable circumstance? I personally love the combat system in that game. Actually, to be totally honest, it's my favortie game on the 360 period. I think western rpgs could learn a thing or two from good jrpgs. Just my opinion.

TwistedFate
10-22-2009, 09:27 PM
I haven't played ToV, but from what I've seen it's arena based combat. Environment doesn't plat a part and there are no tactics involved. You just beat on the guy until he falls. Lather, rinse, repeat. Spells go off and have no lasting effects you have to worry about. (I'm not talking about poison/blind/stone type spells. I'm talking about spells like the fireball that goes off and continues burning which reshapes the battlefield in the 4th video in the "25 minutes of gameplay" thread.) Most battles play out the same from your first combat to the last Boss battle.

Battles in DA:O will be on a grander scale with enemies hiding behind cover, spells that change the battlefield, and reinforcements that show up because they heard the battle in progress. The game won't stop and shift to a sterile battle arena. It happens when and where you encounter the enemies.

You can assign actions in ToV because they restrict the number of possible actions they need to react to. The battles may seem chaotic but they are following a very strict set of rules. Rules that aren't in place in DA:O. Not saying that combat in DA:O doesn't follow rules, but they are a radically different set of rules that don't lend themselves to that combat style.

It isn't just a matter of making the way you fight different, it necessetates changing the way the whole game is played. It just wouldn't be the same game.

There is a reason it plays the way it does, and I trust BioWare to know what they are doing. They haven't let me down yet.

I play the pen and paper D&D as a wizard. My tactics vary wildly based on where we are fighting. Woods catch on fire so I have to use different tactics and spells than I do in a stone dungeon. I use my fire based spells to set the trees on fire and shape the battlefield in the woods. Those same spells are used differently in a stone dungeon, and may even be something I can't use for fear of hurting my own party. This is what I'm hoping I can do in DA:O. Mashing buttons isn't fun for me. Thinking my way through the battle is.

Like I said, I respect your opinions and you have your reasons for wanting combat the way you do. I just disagree and think the way they have it is the better system. I know it's a system I'll enjoy more, and, for me, it would diminish the game if it was all button mashing action style.

Dave of Canada
10-22-2009, 10:03 PM
It plays like KOTOR on the consoles, it's not like Fable 2.

BloodGodAlucard
10-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Valid points all around. I respect your opinion as well. Enjoy the game.

Arfpint
10-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I can only comment on the PC version (judging from the review I read) but from the sounds of it you have the Easy difficulty option of hackin' and slashin', or the Normal or above difficulty which allows you to press space (so to speak) and pause the action, at which point you can direct actions and commands. This is supposed to be a tactical game, so to be honest I'm not sure if you would really enjoy the Easy option, mainly because you'll be missing the finer points of the game. You can also design certain commands for each character, ie "if HP falls below 25%"..."use health potion".

It is pretty much Mass Effect, you can either run around swinging your sword or whatever, or take it nice and slow and take each enemy out according to you and your party's strengths...

Joe x360a
10-24-2009, 01:57 PM
This sounds like my kind of game, only one issue I have, does it have a decent lifespan? (Long playtime etc.)

Dave of Canada
10-24-2009, 04:14 PM
This sounds like my kind of game, only one issue I have, does it have a decent lifespan? (Long playtime etc.)

Reviewers say it'll take around 20-30 hours for the speedster who rushes through the main quest, but can take up to 80-100+ if you take your time and did sidequests.

Mezerashi
10-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Just go over to Gamespot.com (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamespot.com%2Fshows%2Fto day-on-the-spot%2F%3Fevent%3Dtoday_on_the_spot20091020%26tag% 3Dtopslot%3Bimg%3B1&h=89209cfaf46e83d2d281c55eff97d88f) and watch the review if you want to know how it will play on a console. They preview the PS3 version, but I expect it will play the same on both consoles. If you want to go in all hack and slash you can do that. The best way to look at it is this....Oblivion vs Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was pretty much the exact same game as Oblivion, just with a different skin. A couple of little tweeks here and there but pretty much the same game. Dragon Age: Origins is going to be alot like Mass Effect.....new skin and a little tweakage. You can go solo with your AI's running all willy nilly like or you can play micromanager to the extreme. Play it how you want to, thats how Bioware likes to do things...trust me, I have been playing their games from the first.

Denny Crane
10-25-2009, 09:58 PM
It cant be like Mass Effect AND KOTOR. In Mass Effect you have complete control over your character, you aim, you pull the trigger. In KOTOR you select a type of attack and the game does it (so, for example, each time you press X button it doesn't do an attack, you press X button once and it attacks kind of for you). KOTOR did a good job of not being an action rpg and feeling like it almost was one (imo).

And I understand what the OP means by action rpg. Basically a game like Fable or Mass Effect. Like if Gears of War had rpg elements such as leveling, items, etc that would be an ACTION rpg.

Oh btw, I have been confused about this game also, and I hear something different everywhere I look... but the overall consensus I've been getting is that the game is like KOTOR and not a true action rpg. Of course I cant confirm this since, again, everyone has a different story. And I doubt I'll find out until I play the game. At Least I think ill enjoy it either way, just 10x more if it is more like Mass Effect than KOTOR.

Dave of Canada
10-25-2009, 10:24 PM
It cant be like Mass Effect AND KOTOR. In Mass Effect you have complete control over your character, you aim, you pull the trigger. In KOTOR you select a type of attack and the game does it (so, for example, each time you press X button it doesn't do an attack, you press X button once and it attacks kind of for you). KOTOR did a good job of not being an action rpg and feeling like it almost was one (imo).

And I understand what the OP means by action rpg. Basically a game like Fable or Mass Effect. Like if Gears of War had rpg elements such as leveling, items, etc that would be an ACTION rpg.

Oh btw, I have been confused about this game also, and I hear something different everywhere I look... but the overall consensus I've been getting is that the game is like KOTOR and not a true action rpg. Of course I cant confirm this since, again, everyone has a different story. And I doubt I'll find out until I play the game. At Least I think ill enjoy it either way, just 10x more if it is more like Mass Effect than KOTOR.

It's like KOTOR, gameplay videos show this.

Andre Ramses
10-25-2009, 11:38 PM
I agree with BloodGodAlucard, you are using wrong terms and confusing him.

He wants to know if the gameplay is like, you press a button and the characters responds firing something, or using the sword... you actually have full control over the character, he doesnt play alone... there are LOTs of games like this, Fable, God of War and even Mass Effect (you can fire too fast or slowly, depends on you). In all of them, if you dont press a button, the character will take damage and wont respond (it will be standing still).

Dragon Age works more like an MMO (World of Warcraft, Ultima Online, etc), where the character fights "alone"... if issue an order and he follows... doesnt matter how many times you press a button, or the sequence you press them, the movement he makes WILL be the same.

And of course there are games where you control a party, and it works more like an action game(fable, god of war, etc)... in Kingdom Hearts you can choose wich character you want to control (Sora, Donald or Goofy), and the way you press the buttons have a different results.

Answering you, BloodGodAlucard, Dragon Age works more like an MMO, and less like an action-rpg. But even though i think it would be worth a shot... even if it isnt more like an action game, the gameplay seems very frenetic and interesting.

BTW, do you guys know how the transitions between locations works? It is something like Oblivion / Fallout, where you have a VERY big world to explore "without" loadings... or is it like Fable, where the overworld is "divided" in small maps, and each time you "cross" the border it loads a new area?

---

Editing: Also i agree with Denny Crane (is exact the same thing i want to explain), first because of who it is :P Just would prefer if it was Alan Shore lol...

XXII Death IIXX
10-25-2009, 11:50 PM
Nineteen minute game play video for the 360. http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dragon-age-origins-360/17-1528/

Oddish
10-26-2009, 05:29 AM
The guy I talked to at Best Buy sssured me it was action based.
Why would you ever buy a game based on information from a Best Buy employee? Seriously? Do some research, watch some videos, read some previews/hands-on's, THEN order the game.

Twilight Now
11-01-2009, 04:05 AM
If you enjoyed the older, D&D RPGs like Baldur's Gate, you'll like this game because it will play pretty much the same way.

Twilight Now
11-01-2009, 04:09 AM
BTW, do you guys know how the transitions between locations works? It is something like Oblivion / Fallout, where you have a VERY big world to explore "without" loadings... or is it like Fable, where the overworld is "divided" in small maps, and each time you "cross" the border it loads a new area?

This is answered in the game's official FAQ. It's not an open world game like Oblivion, it is more like NWN or Baldur's Gate where you have areas to explore but will have to load other places separately.

Again, look at the older D&D RPG's, like Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate for an example.

SpinelesS
11-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Im thankful this game isnt gonna be another weak rpg like fable 2, Its been ages since I played a real D&D game.

The only issue I think im going to have with the game is that the achievements look really Mass Effectian (multiple playthroughs, with only minute changes to gain all achievements)

Uppercut
11-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Have been playin this game for about 4 hours now and its amazing, its everything you would expect from what they call the spiritual successor to baldur gate.
I was afraid they would not be able to make a control system for the xbox
that would make this playable but man was i wrong, the graphics
are abit worse then i thought they would be but its good enough
and the amount of stuff that can go on at once totally justifies it.

If you have been hoping for a baldurīs gate sequel this is the closest you are gonna
get, its too bad its not the forgotten realms that i know and love but the dragon age
universe by no means seems inferior, this will be a great franchise.
Ive barely started on this game and already im looking forward to a sequel.

TsarBlandi
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM
im sorry if im adding insult to injury but...

i havent played it but i think that hes wanting to know if you have to control the other characters or can you play it as Mass Effect and allow the characters to use all their own talents and attacks etc, if not i would like to know :)

Born Apophis
11-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes you can control the other characters in your party, just change the current character you are using with LB / RB.

Oinkness
11-04-2009, 06:14 PM
I feel really bad for this guy getting lied to constantly. It's his money, so you should tell the truth. Bioware won't miss the extra money as they're billionaires. This guy, I can assure you, is not.

It plays like WOW, or kotor -- click, and it fights automatically. There's no option to change it. Sorry, mate.

BloodGodAlucard
11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Finally an honest answer! I've been waiting for that for a long time. I already canceled my preorder and everything, but I started to get interested in the play style of this game. I saw the review on X-Play for the PC version. They pointed out that the 360 version plays very differently. That's good to here since it will hopefully be less MMO syled. Is that the case? I found out this game will be $40 on Black Friday, so I might still pick it up. The only problem is that I have never really played a tactical rpg before. I think that's what genre this would be placed in, right? Select a target and the on screen characters carry it out. That could be cool as long as it's not as slow as WoW. My friend tried to get me into that game for months. I'm sorry, the combat is too damn slow to hold my interest. Then again, I've heard that this game is nothing like that. As it is supposedly really fast paced. Is that true? Like I said, this will be my first D&D style game. Should I take the plunge and try it? I honestly think the story would be able to draw me in since I love movies like Lord of the Rings. My only initial complaint was the combat, and that's only because people had been saying it was an action rpg when we all know it isn't. Let's not get that debate started again though please. Seriously though, I would appreciate some honest feedback. I think I might like this game. I just want to know if the gameplay will be accessable to me as a D&D noob. I look forward to your comments.

BloodGodAlucard
11-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Just bumping the topic to search for comments as the forum traffic is kind of high.

BloodGodAlucard
11-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Could someone grace me with an answer to my newest questions? I know I was kind of oblivious to what type of game this was to begin with, but it has really peaked my interest as of late. I've seen some awesome reviews of the 360 version and am seriously considering getting it on Black Friday. I would just appreciate answers to the questions I posted earlier. Thanks in advance to anyone that feels like commenting.

Twilight Now
11-07-2009, 02:37 AM
The battles are tactical. You can't just run in mashing A expecting to win a fight every time. You should also be managing your party, switching to them and using healing items, magic they aren't using, etc.

You can set up "scripts" for them to do certain things at certain moments, like "if enemy is at 25% health use this attack" and just let them run with that. But more often than not, if you just pay attention to yourself, you might find your other party members getting killed and then the bulk of the enemy attention turns to you and you're dead yourself.

You also have to be mindful of what your party consists of. Do you have a tank (a powerful warrior that has high defence and great strength), someone who can heal (a mage), and what role do you want to play in the party? Do you want to be a mage who is not in the thick of it, casting healing spells, armour spells, huge explodey spells, or perhaps a rogue who sneaks around and backstabs or launching flaming arrows from afar, or maybe you're a warrior who likes to run in swinging a huge sword or axe, massacring the hordes.

These are things you need to think about in this game. And if you've never played one of the older D&D RPG games (or even something as recent as NWN2), you may be overwhelmed by the gameplay at first. But it's wholly rewarding to hash out some tactics and defeat your enemy efficiently without losses. :)

Blue Thunder28
11-07-2009, 08:36 AM
I love this game to death. The tactical gameplay was startling at first but I got into it completely... I won't look at Fable the same way again hah. God I love BioWare.

BloodGodAlucard
11-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah I have been getting a lot of great feedback from others on Gamespot's forums as well. I think I will get this game on Black Friday.