An Idea that Some people may be interested in

DJ Psyanyde

I am a frequent visitor of many gaming related sites, but this is the only site where I have begun to be an active participant in the community. I have never been a very big poster, and I have noticed quite a few things involved in this site have post requirements and this has motivated me to post. Obviously with a goal in mind, i.e get on the leaderboards, participate in the gamerscore leagues etc.

My idea would be for a leaderboard for each State in the U.S, or province in Canada and any other country obviously that has some kind of seperation of the country into smaller sections. Just an idea and was curious if anyone else would be interested in something along these lines.

I believe there is, or at least was, something like this. It is hidden deep in the chewy core of the forums somewhere but I do remember reading a thread that did this.

Being the diverse global community that we are, why have more segregation? Use all seats on the bus I say, mix everything up. Plus it means more work for the already busy staff-types.

Rather not, we don't have too many people on our leaderboard to make the states too diverse. Some states might only get one or two gamers.

There arn't a deathly high amount of people here from CA, so me, with 2k GS, will find myself about 2-8th place in a no-more-then-8-person CA Board.

To Manatee : lm Just trying to help and not make the Staff have an overload of work to with the work they have now

Mingledon - yes thats true but it would u get an idea of who is around u from ur states even if there is only a few people and it will give the people who cant get on the Sites Board yet a chance to see where they are

I think this idea works on a bunch of different levels beyond the overall leaderboards. Having gamers who live closer to you can lead to bigger and better rivalrys. Plus you never really know exactly how many other gamers from your own state, province, county etc. from looking at a worldwide leaderboard. I personally like to have something in common with the people I game with even if it is something as small as being in the same state. Plus if this takes off it could increase traffic and support to an already great site and community.

As for the negative side of things as far as added work load ths is something I would personally be interested in maintaing and from what I see it looks like Smokez is as well between the two of us this can easily be something that could be done in our spare time. Remember every idea starts out as a small one it's the ideas that are given time to flourish that are eventually seen as great ones.

also for the poster in California I am quite sure there are more than a handful of users using this site from your state.

Not being funny, but rather than having just the one leaderboard with a few hundred people on it - we would have to have bucket loads of leaderboards with 5 people on.

50 odd US States

No Idea on Canada states

Australia

China

10 or so in Europe

At the moment this wouldnt really be a viable option. Look on the leaderboards and the flags are there- gives you a hint. Least you can work out which country. We dont want to seperate the community by devising it into country of origin- the reason it works is that its multicultual ;)

And to whoever offered to staff it- thanks, but that would require you being given full Admin rights and access to the databases :p

The leaderboards work well as they are at the moment. The only thing that doesnt work so well on the leaderboards is the sign up thread- as somehow people miss the first post which has **Read this before posting** written in huuuuge writing :rolleyes:

And to whoever offered to staff it- thanks, but that would require you being given full Admin rights and access to the databases :p

The leaderboards work well as they are at the moment. The only thing that doesnt work so well on the leaderboards is the sign up thread- as somehow people miss the first post which has **Read this before posting** written in huuuuge writing :rolleyes:

Yeah, and I am still waiting for my Admin rights and access... :)

Sounds like a great idea and something the people want.

Not to ruin your statement Minty, but it is possible to do that without giving away access to everything :p

The Xbox feed from MS doesn't tell us which state the person lives in so that have to be administered manually, and I have unfortunately no time to maintain a list like that.

However, if you are willing to maintain that list and ask the people which state they are in (I.eg make a thread in the same forum where we have the leaderboard signup and ask if people can enter their state), I can customize the leaderboard script to also work with state ranking. It shouldn't be that hard coding wise. I'll also make a code so we can sort by country, but since we don't have that many users yet, I think we can enable that when the time is right.

I would be more than willing to help with this in any way I could and I do believe Smokez also expressed an interest in helping with this if this did come to fruition.

I'm not familiar with vbulletin but in the field for location is that a sortable or searchable field? If so that would obviously be the first step in making this a very easy addition.

No... Canada has two populations.

Half is France, and half is America light :p

LOL! I have a friend who used to work for me who is Canadian, and every time I see him I break out in song. That is torture enough (American Idol material I am NOT), but the song is Canadian Idiot by "Weird Al" Yankovic. Always a sure way to get under his skin, although he takes it pretty well.

The funny thing is I like hockey much more than he does, and I grew in San Diego (not exactly hockey capital of the world, although the Gulls did very well in their minor league).