PDA

View Full Version : *Likely* Price Point and Release Date of the Black 360

TheMollywhopper
02-15-2007, 11:14 PM
According to today's system update at Game Crazy, the new box is to be released on May 6th and retail for $479.99 US... Having worked at Game Crazy in the past, I can tell you that thier system is virtually always correct with things of this nature, as they don't shy away from putting question marks where they belong. No guarantee, but I'd put money on those being correct.

Minty
02-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Will be a pimp ass looking system.

ANd good to have you back btw ;)

Zef
02-15-2007, 11:24 PM
I thought someone posted showing that the black 360s were just the reviewer machines and weren't being sold?

If they are $500 roughly, that equate to around 1000. Obviously we pay for such axtras as no video marketplace etc. so the price is justified =P The 360-mobile could be completed afterall if I feel like paying for a whole new machine.

TheMollywhopper
02-15-2007, 11:32 PM
If I remember correctly it was listed in the system as "XB360 BK"... No specs or any info on the rumored trade-up program though.

graf1k
02-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Even though I would love it, I seriously doubt they are going to have a trade up program. That said, depending on the specs of the new 360, I very well might buy one when they come out and make my current 360 a secondary system.

Oh and welcome back Willson. Glad you came back. :)

CC99999
02-15-2007, 11:39 PM
I'd price it at $399 US and make the current premium the base package.

Just a thought.

brsfan22
02-15-2007, 11:41 PM
What is going to be special about the black 360?

TheMollywhopper
02-15-2007, 11:55 PM
HDMI output for true 1080p, 120GB HDD, and a new processor (tmk)... This price point all but assures that the system won't be having a built-in HD-DVD drive unfortunately.

FrothyOmen
02-16-2007, 12:20 AM
So, what's the point of a faster processor? Are they going to release games that require the faster processor? Or will it simply speed up loading times?

graf1k
02-16-2007, 12:45 AM
So, what's the point of a faster processor? Are they going to release games that require the faster processor? Or will it simply speed up loading times?

It's not a faster processor, but one made with a smaller process (65nm v. 90nm). By doing this, they are able to pack more transistors in less space, cut costs, and sometimes cut thermal output of a chip. So basically we get a better, more stable CPU and MS cuts theirs costs and increases their profit margin.

TheMollywhopper
02-16-2007, 12:46 AM
edit - Graf1k said it better, faster... Damn Graf1k...

LordXenu
02-16-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm psyched about this! Thanks for the great information.

JonnyC VT
02-16-2007, 01:14 AM
:whs Yeah, I'm pretty excited too. Hopefully all newer 360 games will push for 1080p, and that big hard drive would be nice. Black is also sexy, since it'll have to have a detachable black faceplate, I wonder what a black 360 would look like with other custom plates...?

Mingledon
02-16-2007, 02:46 AM
It would look pretty lame with any light colored plate. I can see it now.

I wish that Microsoft were selling these a month and a half ago. I would have rather paid an extra $50 for a black one w/ extra drive power then a normal white one.

Oh well.

Spot2009
02-16-2007, 06:42 AM
Damn Microsoft.. Why did that have to do this?! HDMI, cooler processor and a bigger HDD, for only $179.99 more.. I would DEFINITELY put my money for this; unfortunately, my Xbox 360 still works.. if they really plan on releasing this, I'm gonna be pissed. We get the shaft :(

If one did buy this, how will they be able to transfer all of their HDD data to one another? Will that work or no?

Jellius16
02-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Any word on wether or not the 120GB HDD will be sold seperately, or be detachable and attachable to the white 360's?

Fonkey Monkey
02-16-2007, 06:46 AM
So does this mean there will be black controllers now?????:eek:
hurah!:woop: i would deff pick up a few of those. And yea if this is true they better sell that hardrive seperatley..

Deaths Tool
02-16-2007, 07:28 AM
I'd pick up some black controllers. I need 2 more anyway for those kick ass 4-person drinking... I mean party games like Fusion Frenzy 2. You have to do something while the announcer is talking to make it bearable.

Zef
02-16-2007, 11:14 AM
If one did buy this, how will they be able to transfer all of their HDD data to one another? Will that work or no?

Buy a memory card and just transfer stuff 64MB (if that is the size) at a time. You can recover your gamertag so that isn't a problem so long as you remember your ID details.

zebatov
02-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Is this brand new? Because the last I heard the system was only being released in Australia for a company there for 750-800 AUD. If this is happening, it'll be funny when everyone actually puts out more money on a system they already own, because it's a different colour (plus other minute details such as we pay the same but MS production cost goes down, as graf1k stated previously). It won't be special anymore after 5 of your friends own one.

Buy a memory card and just transfer stuff 64MB (if that is the size) at a time. You can recover your gamertag so that isn't a problem so long as you remember your ID details.

When you recover your GT you're gonna have the same problems with your achievements that killuhkam had, I believe.

Zef
02-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Having them appear in a slightly different order? Tradgedy =D

The only special parts of the new system would be the hardware listed above and the snazzy blackness. If you wanted a black console then you could always hunt down one of the PGR3 360s, or just buy a new case. But buying the new one would mean you get a new warranty, so you are covered once again.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/__data/assets/image/480528/pgr100_console_shot.jpg
That is a photoshopped picture (methinks), but it is more or less what it looked like. Just remembered, they were the prizes for the PGR100 competition back in early 2006. So they were official consoles, and the picture above is the same as one on the official Xbox site.

zebatov
02-16-2007, 12:19 PM
What's the PGR3 360? Never heard of it. Man that ruins my day. And then what would be done with your old system that still works just as well? As for tragedy... kam seemed to have a huge problem with it. Probably the OCD.

Gunstar Chaos
02-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Yea obviously that is photoshopped and a bad one at that. I've been planning on buying another 360 soon but May is a good deal away.

Fonkey Monkey
02-16-2007, 10:42 PM
I've seen the real pgr3 360's and they don't really look like that.Its' kinda like checkered with black and grey if i remember right.

LongJon
02-17-2007, 12:43 AM
I thought someone posted showing that the black 360s were just the reviewer machines and weren't being sold?

If they are $500 roughly, that equate to around 1000. Obviously we pay for such axtras as no video marketplace etc. so the price is justified =P The 360-mobile could be completed afterall if I feel like paying for a whole new machine.

Errr.......I THINK you're converting in the wrong direction mate..$500 = 250 odd

TheMollywhopper
02-17-2007, 04:27 AM
Is this brand new? Because the last I heard the system was only being released in Australia for a company there for 750-800 AUD. If this is happening, it'll be funny when everyone actually puts out more money on a system they already own, because it's a different colour (plus other minute details such as we pay the same but MS production cost goes down, as graf1k stated previously). It won't be special anymore after 5 of your friends own one.

This info was just released to Game Crazy yesterday, so yeah, it's really new. And I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think anyone's gonna buy it for the "special" factor (those people can wait for the Halo 3 Edition Box which will probably be the same as this new system with a different color (I'm "thinking" silver) and a built-in HD-DVD drive (I'll be getting that one as well, but I'll never open it)... This one's more about improved functionality which definately makes it worth the money to anyone who can spare it. No one's brought up the fact that it's also a possibility the new system will have built-in Wi-Fi - which would make the overall value of the system second-to-none, even the Wii. Couple all of that with the fact that it's gonna be the color it should have been in the first place, and you've got yourself a deal, M$!

I forgot to mention yesterday that the 120GB HDD was put in the Game Crazy system as well, but did not have a release date or price. (This is why I'm assuming the new box has a 120GB drive as opposed to the also-rumored 160GB)

I discovered some more "probably" type of news today regarding what they're gonna do with the current systems when the blackbox comes out - No more Premium 'box, decent price-drop for the Core system (probably to $250, just a guess). I think this makes sense, as the strategy makes the Core System an understandable purchase for the first time as it would actually become customizable (pick your HDD, choose whether or not you need wi-fi functionality, etc.) instead of a stripped-down version of what most people really need.

P.S. I should probably be posting this more... anonymously... but I really want you guys to know about this stuff and assume even less of you would believe these claims if it were coming from a dummy account ;)

LordXenu
02-17-2007, 05:13 AM
This info was just released to Game Crazy yesterday, so yeah, it's really new. And I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think anyone's gonna buy it for the "special" factor (those people can wait for the Halo 3 Edition Box which will probably be the same as this new system with a different color (I'm "thinking" silver) and a built-in HD-DVD drive (I'll be getting that one as well, but I'll never open it)... This one's more about improved functionality which definately makes it worth the money to anyone who can spare it. No one's brought up the fact that it's also a possibility the new system will have built-in Wi-Fi - which would make the overall value of the system second-to-none, even the Wii. Couple all of that with the fact that it's gonna be the color it should have been in the first place, and you've got yourself, M$!

I forgot to mention yesterday that the 120GB HDD was put in the Game Crazy system as well, but did not have a release date or price. (This is why I'm assuming the new box has a 120GB drive as opposed to the also-rumored 160GB)

I discovered some more "probably" type of news today regarding what they're gonna do with the current systems when the blackbox comes out - No more Premium 'box, decent price-drop for the Core system (probably to $250, just a guess). I think this makes sense, as the strategy makes the Core System an understandable purchase for the first time as it would actually become customizable (pick your HDD, choose whether or not you need wi-fi functionality, etc.) instead of a stripped-down version of what most people really need.

P.S. I should probably be posting this more... anonymously... but I really want you guys to know about this stuff and assume even less of you would believe these claims if it were coming from a dummy account ;)

Thank you for this abundance of information. It's nice to hear some believable information about all of this. Most the stuff I've been reading has been fanboy babble.

TheMollywhopper
02-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Thank you for this abundance of information. It's nice to hear some believable information about all of this. Most the stuff I've been reading has been fanboy babble.

Glad you like :) But don't take it as scripture, as the info's not from a MS official statement obviously... It's likely something that got picked up from an industry conference or something of that sort and someone from Game Crazy "accidentally" put it in the company-wide database (it wasn't exactly screaming to be found, it was more or less buried in the future-stock data but not pre-orderable. Halo 3 was in their systems in a very similar manner for about 2 years, up till about 5 months ago.) It's probably already been removed from their system as well, as there are people who go through that stuff to make sure everything's accurate and things like this that aren't supposed to be there get removed. The info is tentative, but at this point very likely accurate. The date/price may deviate (which is why there's no official word on it) but I'd say they're off by no more than a month and $30. I doubt I'll find anything else out before the world does but I'm creaming over this thing and keeping my ear to the ground...

LordXenu
02-17-2007, 07:00 AM
Glad you like :) But don't take it as scripture, as the info's not from a MS official statement obviously... It's likely something that got picked up from an industry conference or something of that sort and someone from Game Crazy "accidentally" put it in the company-wide database (it wasn't exactly screaming to be found, it was more or less buried in the future-stock data but not pre-orderable. Halo 3 was in their systems in a very similar manner for about 2 years, up till about 5 months ago.) It's probably already been removed from their system as well, as there are people who go through that stuff to make sure everything's accurate and things like this that aren't supposed to be there get removed. The info is tentative, but at this point very likely accurate. The date/price may deviate (which is why there's no official word on it) but I'd say they're off by no more than a month and $30. I doubt I'll find anything else out before the world does but I'm creaming over this thing and keeping my ear to the ground...

Oh, of course. I know nothing is set in stone when it comes to these rumors. But it's nice to hear something that sounds legitimate. Thanks again for the info.

BLOMBOMB
02-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Sounds awesome Molly! I may be just as enthused about this as I was about the original coming out!.. ok that's a lie, but none the less, some good info here! Thank's Molly!

-B

Zef
02-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Errr.......I THINK you're converting in the wrong direction mate..$500 = 250 odd

I was converting in technology prices. Everything over here is more expensive than the Moon, so a black 360 won't be any exception =P

I was browsing the internet and found a modding kit that will let you have a black 360;

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00064CJD6/nextag-auto-20/ref=nosim

PerpetualHeaven
02-17-2007, 03:18 PM
I'd price it at $399 US and make the current premium the base package.

Just a thought.

They're probably already losing money on the current system. Pricing a 120GB console with HDMI and listing it as the current one would be a big hit to the pocket I would assume.

Gunstar Chaos
02-17-2007, 04:56 PM
I was thinking about it yesterday but I don't think I'll like the black 360 as it would make my faceplates look bad. I hope they release them in black and in white as I want the HDMI and 120 gig.

Obsidian Jeff
02-17-2007, 04:59 PM
why doesn't anyone grab a can of spray paint and some painters tape, and just spray their box whatever color they want?

Zef
02-17-2007, 05:09 PM
I was thinking about it yesterday but I don't think I'll like the black 360 as it would make my faceplates look bad. I hope they release them in black and in white as I want the HDMI and 120 gig.

Chances are that Microsoft will release the HDD on its own if they ever get around to making one. The market is potentially everyone with a 360, so it wouldn't be a stupid move on their part.

The HDMI is the only problem then. They might just have an HDMI slot on the back of all new 360s after a certain date, so keep an eye out in the future.