PDA

View Full Version : More Achievement amendments from Microsoft

Weapon 117
02-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Major Nelson's blogcast (http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/02/11/show-211-the-one-with-shane-kim.aspx) for this week had Aaron Greenberg on from the GamerscoreBlog (http://www.gamerscoreblog.com/) regarding the new Achievement policies (http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/02/02/new-gamerscore-policy-just-makes-sense/) the Microsoft is incorporating. Two rules covered in the show that weren't previously mentioned are regarding multiplayer content and online achievements. First off, any downloadable content that gives players an advantage must be free for download. Some EA games as well as Chromehounds are guilty of this and Microsoft is keeping it from happening again.

The second ruling is actually more of a guideline about online achievement. Gamers have stressed how they dislike multiplayer achievement that are dependent on ranked games, or result in "boosting", and Microsoft has made note of this in their "Guidelines and Best Practices" documentation. While it doesn't keep it from appearing in future games, it at least makes developers aware of the opinion of their audience.

Source: xbox360fanboy.com (http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/02/16/more-achievement-amendments-from-microsoft/)

DaKing240
02-16-2007, 09:26 PM
I will be the first to say that I am impressed on Microsoft's part of actually taking action.

graemelunn
02-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Sounds to me like they've realised that the two jewels in their crown are Live and Achievements. Good to see they're taking positive action in comparison to their previous track record. Long may it continue.

The Killer 47
02-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Maybe we'll be able to get those godfather weapons for free now, or is it only matter when the content gives you an advantage online? Hopefully they will change the online so we can get the achievements in player matches.

LordXenu
02-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Good news. I loathe those ranked online achievements.

DJ Psyanyde
02-16-2007, 09:38 PM
This is a positve step for the gamers who like to get all achievements but would rather play with a consistent group of friends rather than the anonymous horde necessary for ranked games. Kudos to microsoft

TG3 HAVOK
02-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Glad there making a stand. Good for them

The Pants Party
02-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Awesome. So sick of trying to get online matches for older games that I never finished.

spartancell
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
i like it if they give you the option of ranked or not, EX. PDZ, they should be able to get it in both, i like to play w/ my friend who only plays ranked, but i also love playing with a whole lobby full of friends rather than how many i can fit on my team

brsfan22
02-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the document about online play and achievements?

Walcherina
02-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Good, the online achievements are turning some games into a boost fest.

JonnyC VT
02-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Good, the online achievements are turning some games into a boost fest.

I think achievements in general are making us do things we wouldn't normally do...I woulda never let someone kill me 100 times in an old Mortal Kombat game without fighting back.

I actually did some boost/achievement trading in Gears for the first time ever, and it makes me re-think gaming. I just stood there and died countless times, so someone could get achievements and he returned the favor. I would love to just play and enjoy the game, so this is great news if unranked games would allow for achievements...hmmm, imagine actually playing a game for achievements!!

TheMollywhopper
02-17-2007, 07:07 AM
Crizzle, if you were uncertain about the status of your soul before, you can be certain that your regret of boosting guarantees you a jump-to-the-front-of-the-line at the pearly white gates. I've done it myself a couple of times (only in non-ranked games, mind you. And I've done this as recently as Root Beer Tapper, so I'm far from a reformed man) and I feel like my entire gamerscore is tarnished due to that. I really hope the developers who aren't already trying to get rid of this shit are gonna take it to heart now. Seriously, what does an achievement mean if you didn't really achieve it? Yeah, it might not say "don't do this in an unranked match with your friends" (ok, sometimes you have to play with friends in a player match as no one is there to compete with in a ranked match, but even then, maybe we should have thought about that and got the game when it first came out?) or "don't concentrate too hard on this and screw over your random teammates in a ranked match", but it shouldn't have to say them. If games are to have online achievements (which they should) they should be unboostable (as very few are). If Halo 3 has achievements for flag captures I'm going to literally cry, knowing I'll get killed by a teammate (more than I already do in H2) 99% right when I'm about to score a flag so they can gank it from me. People will wait by the flag base, not even helping collect the flag, just so they can wait for me and all of the dedicated fans putting in WORK.

BLOMBOMB
02-17-2007, 07:13 AM
This might not get said many more times by me but: "Hooray Microsoft!"

-B

Slormer
02-17-2007, 07:54 AM
A step in the right direction.

Webb
02-17-2007, 09:02 PM
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/02/16/more-achievement-amendments-from-microsoft/

Read people. Means no EA exploitation anymore ;) Two major things simply were...

1. Downloadable content that creates an advantage = Not allowed :D

2. People not a fan of multiplayer achs. Microsoft have told developers to take that on board.

Enjoy :D

Minty
02-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Thats quality news :)

Dark Fury
02-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Great news for Point 1.

As for Point 2 i hope they're addressing Ranked Games, as it seems they are, "Gamers have stressed how they dislike multiplayer achievement that are dependent on ranked games", because i like online multiplayer achievements as online gaming is at least half of the experience.

Cutting down the emphasis on Ranked Matches across the board would be a fantastic step in my opinion.

Webb
02-17-2007, 09:39 PM
I totally agree. I mean, I like multiplayer in games, but I don't want to get achievements while playing it online, just spoils it IMO.

LordXenu
02-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Multiplayer achievements tend to take the fun out of games to me.

Webb
02-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Good news. Multiplayer achievements tend to take the fun out of games to me.

I think this may have been posted yesterday, but who cares.

You are correct :eek: Merged the threads.

Imagine that huh, an admin not searching before posting :o

LordXenu
02-17-2007, 09:54 PM
You are correct :eek: Merged the threads.

Imagine that huh, an admin not searching before posting :o

Yeah, kind of funny! No big deal, though. :)

Dark Fury
02-17-2007, 10:48 PM
Sweet, didn't know threads could be merged. Thought i'd lost my valuable opinion to deletion then. :p

Skillet
02-18-2007, 01:11 AM
Personally, I think that unless something is a full blown expansion like the Shivering Isles or Knights of the Nine, all downloadable game content should be free.

Making me pay 400 MS Points for some new cars in PGR3 isn't worth it.

Im a Manatee
02-18-2007, 04:07 AM
Hallelujah!

BLOMBOMB
02-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Personally, I think that unless something is a full blown expansion like the Shivering Isles or Knights of the Nine, all downloadable game content should be free.

Making me pay 400 MS Points for some new cars in PGR3 isn't worth it.

Amen sister Christian.

-B

Mingledon
02-19-2007, 01:21 AM
EA really pissed me off with NFS:Carbon. They had the gall to charge you for cars already in the fucking game- they show up everywhere- YOU PAY TO UNLOCK THEM!

The biggest crock of shit ever on EA's part. I am glad they got the Microsoft ass-kick.