PDA

View Full Version : Free DLC in the Box?

AsILayDying
11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
On trailers on Xbox Live for this game I have seen it states there is free DLC with every copy of this game Dragon Age Standard Editions and Dragon Age Origins Collectors Editions a bit like in Forza 3 and Forza 3 Limited Edition's, Forza 3 Limited Edition having a bit more than the standard Edition. Now is there free DLC in the box for this game? As on the USA marketplace there is DLC for Wardens Keep for 560 ms points and The Stone Prisoner for 1200 ms points. now I thought these were free? The trailers said they were?
Can anyone shed some light on this for me ?

Stressneivo
11-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I also wonder about this. I have ordered the Collectors Edition. And anyway why are there no achievements for the DLCs?

TwistedFate
11-02-2009, 02:26 PM
The Stone Prisoner is free for those who buy the game new. There will be a code for it in the box. It's listed on the Marketplace so that people that get it used can still get access to it.

Warden's Keep is pay DLC for everyone.

Stressneivo
11-02-2009, 02:32 PM
also found out that Wardens keep is only free for people who buy the direct to drive verson of collectors edition. And on dragonage.com it says that "Stone prisoner brings new items, achievements and lore to the game.. hmm

AsILayDying
11-02-2009, 04:08 PM
well hopefully i will get this tomorrow as i tend to get games early, and if i do i will let everyone know whats in the box and whats the deal with the supposed free DLC

Sporty Flea
11-02-2009, 04:18 PM
well hopefully i will get this tomorrow as i tend to get games early, and if i do i will let everyone know whats in the box and whats the deal with the supposed free DLC

We already know

Stone prisoner is free for everyone buying a new copy of the game, any version.

Wardens keep is not (unless apparently you purchased the Direct-to-Drive copy)

This has been explained by bioware and EA, how much more confusion can there be?

Twilight Now
11-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Bioware even has a page up that talks about the various editions and what kind of DLC and other extra stuff you get depending on where you've bought it.

Warden's Keep only comes with the digital deluxe version that you find on Steam (and D2D I think).

Cav Clayton
11-03-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure about the UK, but in AUS if you want the 'free' stuff you have to buy the collector's edition.

JunkSkelington
11-03-2009, 06:27 AM
So its looking like neither of the day 1 DLC's have achievements since the game still totals at 1000. Thats too bad, it will probably hurt the sales of Warden's Keep.

Cav Clayton
11-03-2009, 06:52 AM
That was expected anyway.
I thought companies had to wait till the next quarter (after the release) till they could add 250 GS to their game.

DENAz666
11-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Here is what i got when i picked up my copy:

Stone Prisinor Code (in the game case)
Mass Effect Armour (in the game case)
Bergens Honor - Helmet (in the game case)
Final Reason - Staff (in the game case)
Grimoire of the Frozen Waste - tome (in the game case)

Then as a pre-order bonus:
Feral Wolf Charm
Memory Band
Dalish Promise Ring
The Lions Paw (boots)

And that was all.

Cav Clayton
11-03-2009, 07:52 AM

Stone Prisinor Code (in the game case)
Mass Effect Armour (in the game case)
Bergens Honor - Helmet (in the game case)
Final Reason - Staff (in the game case)
Grimoire of the Frozen Waste - tome (in the game case)

Feral Wolf Charm
Memory Band
Dalish Promise Ring
The Lions Paw (boots)

And that was all.
Was that standard edition?
And I thought it comes out Nov. 5 for Aussies?

when_vegans_attack
11-03-2009, 08:46 AM
So its looking like neither of the day 1 DLC's have achievements since the game still totals at 1000. Thats too bad, it will probably hurt the sales of Warden's Keep.

I bought it anyway - even though I have an account on an achievement website I really don't care that much about them - the trailer on XBL made it look interesting so I purchased it. I hope most people feel the same way - I don't know why you wouldn't buy a seemingly fun expansion just because it doesn't come with achievements?

JunkSkelington
11-03-2009, 10:23 AM
If its a game I like i'll most definitly buy DLC minus achievements, but if its a game i'm tired of or no longer care for achievements are a deal breaker for DLC for me. Its also a very attractive pricepoint, less than 10 bucks falls into that "meh its less than 10 bucks who cares" category.

VA1N
11-03-2009, 12:16 PM

I don't think it will. Oblivion had a bunch of DLC that didn't have achievements. Plus, not everyone is obsessed with achievements. Sure, they are fun to collect, but if something doesn't have it, it's not a make or break thing for most people...and if it is, well, that's just dumb.

Cloak
11-03-2009, 04:37 PM
the both have achievements. 25 Gs each for completing both

dablemont
11-03-2009, 05:03 PM
I don't think it will. Oblivion had a bunch of DLC that didn't have achievements. Plus, not everyone is obsessed with achievements. Sure, they are fun to collect, but if something doesn't have it, it's not a make or break thing for most people...and if it is, well, that's just dumb.
I agree! I believe DAO is more of a game for the PC loving BG2, so more than achievements, people will play for the storyline and gameplay...

space_monkee69
11-03-2009, 11:26 PM
anyone else having problems with the Stone Warden code from the game???? just tried to download it and the codes too short?!?!?!\

nevermind!!! figured it out......downloaded from the in game menu and not the dashboard lol

twinkie
11-04-2009, 12:19 AM
the both have achievements. 25 Gs each for completing both

actually, there's 4 achievements tied to both DLC (that's what i'm guessing). if you look at the total, there's 54 achievements (after downloading both DLC) instead of the original 50

jedi420j
11-04-2009, 04:34 AM
So DLC is now coming out on release day eh?? What a sham... I think the Resident Evil DLC showed other developers that customers are willing to pay for content no matter when released and now we are going to be getting the shaft more and more...

Don't be fooled this content is not DLC, it's just simply content that has been taken out of the original package and divided up to be sold or given to us for ''free'' after purchasing the game at retail.

twinkie
11-04-2009, 07:21 AM
So DLC is now coming out on release day eh?? What a sham... I think the Resident Evil DLC showed other developers that customers are willing to pay for content no matter when released and now we are going to be getting the shaft more and more...

Don't be fooled this content is not DLC, it's just simply content that has been taken out of the original package and divided up to be sold or given to us for ''free'' after purchasing the game at retail.

uh, you might want to look that up. the DLC was developped for the PC version that got delayed. anyway, it's free. why complain?

jedi420j
11-04-2009, 07:52 AM
uh, you might want to look that up. the DLC was developped for the PC version that got delayed. anyway, it's free. why complain?

As far as I know there is a 560 point download that isn't free?? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Edit - taken from gameinformer.com review...

'' Even the spoils of battle are a pain, since cramped inventory is a pervasive problem, and the only way to truly solve it is to shell out seven dollars for the Warden’s Keep DLC, adding a sorely needed storage chest for your excess items. This feature is a genre standard that should have been in the core package, and holding it back to make players buy it on launch day is pathetic.''

when_vegans_attack
11-04-2009, 11:31 AM

You're an idiot,

The content was not on the disk because Dragon Age was supposed to be released on the PC in March. However, the release was delayed so that they could market both the console and PC versions at the same time. There is a seperate team that works on DLC. The launch day DLC is the result of that team. Had the PC version actually launched on time the DLC would have released months after. It's actually better because some of that content (which would have had a fee) is now being released for free with new copies.

People find ways to complain about everything...

OniZuka311
11-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't think it's a sham. I think it the developers way of trying to get ppl to buy new games instead of preowned. You can save $5 and buy it preowned now or you can buy it new and get a $15 dlc

MacPhisto
11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't think it's a sham. I think it the developers way of trying to get ppl to buy new games instead of preowned. You can save $5 and buy it preowned now or you can buy it new and get a $15 dlc

Exactly, they're doing anything they can these days to try and get more profits back that they're losing from used game sales. So expect to see more and more games releasing DLC with new copies like this!

ExtremeRugburn
11-04-2009, 05:21 PM

Dalish Promise Ring
The Lions Paw (boots)

I Preordered the Collectors Edition from Gamestop, but did not receive a code for these two items. Can someone shed some light on this?

MacPhisto
11-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I Preordered the Collectors Edition from Gamestop, but did not receive a code for these two items. Can someone shed some light on this?

That's because he got an Australian copy of the game. In the US, those two items were used separately as pre-order exclusives for D2D and Amazon, respectively. You should have gotten codes for the Feral Wolf Charm and Memory Band as GameStop pre-order exclusives.

jedi420j
11-04-2009, 08:10 PM
You're an idiot,

The content was not on the disk because Dragon Age was supposed to be released on the PC in March. However, the release was delayed so that they could market both the console and PC versions at the same time. There is a seperate team that works on DLC. The launch day DLC is the result of that team. Had the PC version actually launched on time the DLC would have released months after. It's actually better because some of that content (which would have had a fee) is now being released for free with new copies.

Dude if you can't see the trends that are developing with this sort of thing you must be blind. I'm not some anti-DLC hater, if done properly it can be brilliant. (GTA Episodes, Shivering Isles etc. etc.)

But when content is excluded on release and sold separately, in this case a storage chest with the Warden's Keep DLC, I'm not going to be happy. I paid 69.99 CAD plus tax bringing the total to just over 80 dollars. I would expect after paying that kind of money to receive all the content that is on the disc. I know that if this was a Bioware game released five years ago on the Xbox this wouldn't occur.

I'm not crying for an internet petition or anything retarded like that.. I'm a long time customer and supporter of Bioware Games that doesn't like to feel like he's getting nickled-and-dimed. After buying all of their awesome games over the past decade it's a shame to see how much of an influence EA is already having on them.

Whatever though, if buying a game for full price and then having to fork out an extra 7 dollars for the complete experience makes you happy then so be it. I'm just an idiot that points out stuff like a storage chest being excluded (when it's been included in every RPG in the past), is now being sold to you separately.

Chuppernicus
11-04-2009, 10:40 PM
You're an idiot,

You can say that again. Besides we all know that microsoft doesnt like to release DLC that is free with achievements. Not saying it doesn't happen but look at the latest content from L4D. Microsoft made them charge- not saying this is the case with the Warden's keep but..... If you don't want to pay the points then dont.

I'd rather have the content now than in 6 months- I'll pay for it either way.

Sandman1000
11-05-2009, 12:22 AM
You get Stone Prisoner free $15 dollar value free and Blood Age Dragon Armour which you can uses in in Mass Effect 2 for every new copy. Warden Keep you have to pay for on 560 ms points. More DLC coming down the line...

chanman
11-08-2009, 01:23 AM
You get Stone Prisoner free $15 dollar value free and Blood Age Dragon Armour which you can uses in in Mass Effect 2 for every new copy. Warden Keep you have to pay for on 560 ms points. More DLC coming down the line...
For some reason I thought Wardens Keep came with the Collectors Edition, I guess I'll have to buy it.