PDA

View Full Version : WTF Dragon age

MatthewMk2
11-04-2009, 04:24 AM
I just rented Dragon Age origins and WTF, im playing the game and got to do a quest and it says i have to buy DLC for 1200 MS points! And you need this dlc to get all the achievements, not new one but one of the original 1000 points available . Now i thought all the 1000 points had to be attainable without buying dlc. So wtf is up with this!

Rolyatkcinmai
11-04-2009, 05:14 AM
#1. You should never rent a Bioware game. That's just an insult to the gaming industry.

#2. Why would you need the DLC to 1000 the game?

DENAz666
11-04-2009, 05:19 AM
lol that would be because that DLC comes free when you BUY the game.

TwistedFate
11-04-2009, 05:20 AM
lol that would be because that DLC comes free when you BUY the game.

This.

You don't have to buy the DLC unless you rented or bought the game used. That DLC is free with the purchase of a new copy of DA.

Sporty Flea
11-04-2009, 05:45 AM
And also, on a side note, I don't think OP is quoting the achievement rules correctly, as I believe it just states that the game has to be at 1000 for the launch, and DLC can add it higher, but I don't think it states that dlc can't be involved with the first 1000.

I however, am much too lazy to look this up, and seeing as how these "rules" have been disregarded in the past, I don't think they really matter anyway :p

TwistedFate
11-04-2009, 06:57 AM
And also, on a side note, I don't think OP is quoting the achievement rules correctly, as I believe it just states that the game has to be at 1000 for the launch, and DLC can add it higher, but I don't think it states that dlc can't be involved with the first 1000.

I however, am much too lazy to look this up, and seeing as how these "rules" have been disregarded in the past, I don't think they really matter anyway :p

Nope the OP is correct. Unless you are Fable II*, you must be able to get the full 1000 with what you get when you purchase a retail copy of the game. DLC can be involved, but it must be included in the price of the initial game purchase. BioWare has not broken the rules because they give you the DLC required when you buy it new.

I've been saying all along that what they did is a brilliant strategy to fight the used/rental market, and I think we will be seeing more of it in the future. I didn't realize they tied achievements to the free DLC to try and entice those who didn't a new game to buy the DLC. That's genius right there, folks.

http://achievements.schrankmonster.de/Achievement.aspx?text=50G%20-%20Marketing%20genius

*NOTE: Fable II has been patched so it doesn't require Pub Games to get the full 1000 now so that rule breakage has been fixed.

twinkie
11-04-2009, 07:26 AM
I just rented Dragon Age origins and WTF, im playing the game and got to do a quest and it says i have to buy DLC for 1200 MS points! And you need this dlc to get all the achievements, not new one but one of the original 1000 points available . Now i thought all the 1000 points had to be attainable without buying dlc. So wtf is up with this!

see here, http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=146089

you don't need the DLC to get the 1000 gs. it gives an extra 4 achievements for 100 more points though

when_vegans_attack
11-04-2009, 11:26 AM
You don't need Stone Prisoner or Warden's Keep to get all 1000...

Siduakal77
11-04-2009, 11:32 AM
What vegans says..

There's 1000 Achievement Points from 50 on the disk

There are 2 more from the Stone Prisoner.. and 2 more from the Keep.. bringing it to 54.. k? k

Qonok
11-04-2009, 04:14 PM
The DLC achievements may be partially glitched right now. I have both DLC's and when I first got them it gave me 0/54 for achievements but after I started playing the game it shows 0/50 but still had those achievements still in the list to get. Kind of odd.

Hoborg
11-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Shame on you for renting such a great game. I think I'll go sell my Halo a second time, how do you like that huh?

TrueKilla360
11-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Shame on you for renting such a great game. I think I'll go sell my Halo a second time, how do you like that huh?

LOL I sold my halo after initial 1000 and never looked back!

Ill have to agree though #1 its bioware #2 I dont think ive ever rented an RPG that takes hours and hours to get through!

Oinkness
11-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Who buys games in this economy, with them gouging the prices at $60? It's pure lunacy. So yes, you have to pay 1200MS Points for the achievement and there's no denying that.

I might be one of the only people who didn't like Mass Effect

ponypo2001
11-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Who buys games in this economy, with them gouging the prices at $60? It's pure lunacy. So yes, you have to pay 1200MS Points for the achievement and there's no denying that.

Then a lunatic I am.I consider myself a collector too so maybe that adds to my lunacy.Beats downloading them or renting a disc anyway.I get a shiny box and instruction book to play with!

TwistedFate
11-04-2009, 07:51 PM

For me it's lunacy NOT to buy games like this. By the time I play through it, then my girlfriend plays through it, then her son plays through it, rental subscription fees would far exceed even the additional cost of the CE I bought.

Rolyatkcinmai
11-04-2009, 08:00 PM

I buy at least one game a week "in this economy". And it's not crazy at all. Some devs (Bioware included) deserve to be paid in full for their efforts. Is $60 ($70 CE) high? Absolutely, but renting the game is just not worth it to me. I'd rather actually own the game.

A Satyr
11-04-2009, 08:14 PM
$20 for a movie is the lunacy, for $60 you can get three 90 min - 2 hour movies you're only gonna watch once a year or one 80 hour "per playthrough" game, take your pick...

Siduakal77
11-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I buy at least one game a week "in this economy". And it's not crazy at all. Some devs (Bioware included) deserve to be paid in full for their efforts. Is $60 ($70 CE) high? Absolutely, but renting the game is just not worth it to me. I'd rather actually own the game.

Same, my Gamestops told me before I'm one of their top customers.. I would rather put money into the economy than horde it, because I've got some grasp on how the economy works.

And more money in the pockets of my favorite devs is never bad.

Sandman1000
11-05-2009, 12:28 AM
That an option mission anyway. Thier are achievement for it but separate from the full games 1000 gs.

FoolKiller
11-05-2009, 03:04 AM

I don't think $60 is all that much. Considering the inflation of everything over the past 20 years and the exponential increase in a game's development costs, I am surprised that the price is so low. I remember purchasing NES games for the same amount 20 years ago.

Hoborg
11-05-2009, 04:26 AM

Funny, if consumer spending DECREASES in a recession, it precipitates even further. Your mentality makes no sense except from a purely selfish stand point.

I am not asking you to get in debt but most people are able to set aside 100-200 dollars a month on entertainment. A 60 dollar video game every month is a generous estimate.

aussiegamer
11-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Who buys games in this economy?

Why do you own a console and are registered to an xbox 360 forum if you don't buy games. They aren't THAT expensive if you wait for them to go cheap, those who have plenty of money will buy.

Neophoenix78
11-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Actually I think the rules of achievements for games is this. There can only be a total of 1000 points in a retail game. If the company does not include all 1000 points in the initial release of the game they are entitled to do that. The company then can release free DLC to make up the rest of the achievements. The Godfather is an example of this. It initially only had 860 achievement points. They released a free DLC to raise the points to 1000. They later released another DLC for money to bring the total up to 1250. As for the mission in the camp then its the Warden's Keep DLC. They incorporated the DLC into the main quests, however you don't have to purchase the DLC to receive the full 1000 retail points.

As for not paying money to buy games and renting that is your choice. However you missed out on the Stone Prisoner free DLC, as well as the Blood Armor DLC for DA and ME2. I have gamefly but I always purchase good RPGs (fallout 3, DA:O, Oblivion, Etc). I also purchase any game with a viable Mulitiplayer (GOW,H3,COD,R6V,GRAW). I do rent platforming/adventure games or substandard games with no multiplayer (two worlds, mini ninjas, deadspace, force unleashed) etc etc. There are some games you should buy as soon as they come out, there are some however you can get by, you just need to do your research. Dragon Age however is a must buy.

The price increase from what little 8 bit Nintendo games is $10 in 20 years. Wow thats $.50 a year average increase since Nintendo games came out. If you want to get the most out of next generation games well you have to pay next generation prices. I believe that the $60 you spend on a game like DA is well worth the amount of hours you play the game per dollar spent. Even if you only play for 100 hours. That's $.60 an hour (for you math majors) for entertainment.

banej
11-06-2009, 05:40 AM
Actually I think the rules of achievements for games is this. There can only be a total of 1000 points in a retail game. If the company does not include all 1000 points in the initial release of the game they are entitled to do that. The company then can release free DLC to make up the rest of the achievements. The Godfather is an example of this. It initially only had 860 achievement points. They released a free DLC to raise the points to 1000. They later released another DLC for money to bring the total up to 1250. As for the mission in the camp then its the Warden's Keep DLC. They incorporated the DLC into the main quests, however you don't have to purchase the DLC to receive the full 1000 retail points.

As for not paying money to buy games and renting that is your choice. However you missed out on the Stone Prisoner free DLC, as well as the Blood Armor DLC for DA and ME2. I have gamefly but I always purchase good RPGs (fallout 3, DA:O, Oblivion, Etc). I also purchase any game with a viable Mulitiplayer (GOW,H3,COD,R6V,GRAW). I do rent platforming/adventure games or substandard games with no multiplayer (two worlds, mini ninjas, deadspace, force unleashed) etc etc. There are some games you should buy as soon as they come out, there are some however you can get by, you just need to do your research. Dragon Age however is a must buy.

The price increase from what little 8 bit Nintendo games is $10 in 20 years. Wow thats $.50 a year average increase since Nintendo games came out. If you want to get the most out of next generation games well you have to pay next generation prices. I believe that the $60 you spend on a game like DA is well worth the amount of hours you play the game per dollar spent. Even if you only play for 100 hours. That's $.60 an hour (for you math majors) for entertainment.

Well said! Like you, I rent sub-standard games but purchased stellar RPG like Oblivion and Fallout3. I believe this is a more substainable way of gaming as well as showing support for game developers that truely deserves it.

bloodswan
11-06-2009, 09:59 PM
This is kind of a side after I read a few other threads but........I guess I can see the point if you are not sure what the game is like and want to try it but if someone wants to only get the achievements than this is a game not for you. I don't see the the point in getting one quest achievement and then reloading to get the other half of the story achievement. It defeats the purpose of a game like this and that is to get immersed in the story and to feel that each action has a consequence.