PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the M rating

ovoon7
11-04-2009, 05:08 AM
is this game as bad as I think it's going to be? are the sex scenes like mass effect or what?

Rolyatkcinmai
11-04-2009, 05:25 AM
If by "like Mass Effect" you mean "not actually sex scenes whatsoever unless you're a conservative ultra-religious right wing wacko watching Fox News all day", then yes.

SpinelesS
11-04-2009, 05:33 AM
is this game as bad as I think it's going to be? are the sex scenes like mass effect or what?

Ive only played the game a little so far but if I had to guess, Id say its the persistent gore toggle that keeps you splattered with blood for the cutscenes.

ovoon7
11-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Ive only played the game a little so far but if I had to guess, Id say its the persistent gore toggle that keeps you splattered with blood for the cutscenes. So can you avoid anything thats too bad? Or toggle things off? I really don't care but it's on my christmas list, so my mom will be wrapping it and go "wtf is all this nudity and strong language crap???" and I'll need an explanation.

Sporty Flea
11-04-2009, 05:49 AM
So can you avoid anything thats too bad? Or toggle things off? I really don't care but it's on my christmas list, so my mom will be wrapping it and go "wtf is all this nudity and strong language crap???" and I'll need an explanation.

If your mom is wrapping it, you prob shouldn't be owning it. Why should any one try and help a kid explain away a games rating? Since you are honestly asking this question, I will honestly tell you that you should in fact not be getting this, and should wait till you grow up.

Spectrex16
11-04-2009, 06:07 AM
It's not bad at all. I've already had an elvish girl come to bed with me in the game and it doesnt show a thing. All you see is the two of you getting out of bed in your underwear.

Zazacon
11-04-2009, 06:15 AM
In regards to the sex scene, all you see is the couple in their underwear. It is essentially just a very intimate scene, closer to foreplay than sex I'd say. So if you're comparing it to Mass Effect for those certain scenes between characters, this is much toned down in terms of sex. However there are some Desire Demons that have very, very revealing clothing and a Brood Mother that displays many "breasts".

SpinelesS
11-04-2009, 10:45 AM
So can you avoid anything thats too bad? Or toggle things off? I really don't care but it's on my christmas list, so my mom will be wrapping it and go "wtf is all this nudity and strong language crap???" and I'll need an explanation.

The MA 15+ label on my box only mentions strong violence.
And yes you can toggle off the persistant gore.

a Brood Mother that displays many "breasts".

Yeah, its like a pig bred with an ugly fat man... sexy!

ovoon7
11-04-2009, 02:20 PM
If your mom is wrapping it, you prob shouldn't be owning it. Why should any one try and help a kid explain away a games rating? Since you are honestly asking this question, I will honestly tell you that you should in fact not be getting this, and should wait till you grow up. I'm pretty sure that almost all of us here have parents, and at christmas time they wrap gifts. I'm old enough to buy it myself but I'm not going to because they're buying it for me.

DrCool
11-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that almost all of us here have parents, and at christmas time they wrap gifts. I'm old enough to buy it myself but I'm not going to because they're buying it for me.

If your old enough why would they have a problem with it? Anyway if you want to avoid that ackwardness just ask for money/gift card and go buy it yourself, since your old enough.

Tem0n
11-04-2009, 06:35 PM
If by "like Mass Effect" you mean "not actually sex scenes whatsoever unless you're a conservative ultra-religious right wing wacko watching Fox News all day", then yes.

I may have just pissed myself laughing... nice one.

osakamitsu
11-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Actually if you "go to bed" with Ze...whatever his name (Elf Assassin) is it gives you more scenes.

wizzlestick
11-04-2009, 10:30 PM

You can turn off a persistent blood setting which makes it a bit less gory, but it actually cracks me up seeing blood spatter over half the peoples faces as they have a civilized conversation.

There are romances, though I have not seen any cutscenes that I would consider risque. It is mainly minor flirting you can do through conversations and is not accentuated much. (But I thought the same for Mass Effect though many people made a big deal about it)

So far the M rating seems to be for the gore/blood, which is usually expected in fantasy games slaying monsters.

Sandman1000
11-05-2009, 12:24 AM
It possible the developer didn't rule that out when they did interviews about the game...

bloodswan
11-05-2009, 03:12 PM
The fact that anyone complained about Mass Effect's "sex scene" was a joke. The only real nudity comes from the desire demons and ofcourse that sexy broodmother everyone's mentioned.

SpinelesS
11-05-2009, 03:58 PM
The fact that anyone complained about Mass Effect's "sex scene" was a joke. The only real nudity comes from the desire demons and ofcourse that sexy broodmother everyone's mentioned.

sex scene's. You could hook up with either of 2 members of your crew, and there was another blue alien you could hook up with on the citadel.

wizzlestick
11-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Welp after going through most of the "sex scenes" in the game (Female->Male and Female->Female) here I can tell you it's basically just like Mass Effect. Nothing more revealing than you see on standard soap opera television, and done in the same grandoise manner that all their storyline is done through so it doesn't appear out of place or cheap.

It's really not a big deal but if you thought Mass Effect's "sex scene" was the devil then this could quite possibly be the reincarnation of the necronomicon, WHICH YOU SHALL NEVER RETRIEVE!! MUHAHA

Amazon XD
11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah dude, you don't need to lie. If you were really worried about it because your "mom is wrapping it for Christmas", then why would you bother asking if you could avoid or toggle off sex and violence?

And if you really are old enough, grow some nuts. Your parents shouldn't be stupid enough to think that an M rated video game is any worse than numbers of R rated films you can go watch.

kr4t0s
11-05-2009, 11:52 PM
There is also g aysex. I had sex with Zevran just for the achievement i swear!

EikoAtoride
11-08-2009, 04:29 PM
UK's rating goes like this:
18 - contains strong bloody violence and one strong sexual image

So nothing to worry about for an educated grown-up gamer.

My parents also still wrap my games if they buy one (last happened with Civilization 4 because I threatened them with a hunger strike) and mom also isn't very happy with any 18 or M rating on a game case but... as I'm waaaaaaayyyy older, I don't care. :D And she doesn't care either, she's just not happy with it.

BlackDragon
11-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Ya know, just the fact that you can have gay sex in this game is kinda' groundbreaking - I'm pretty sure that's a first for a mainstream game. But I read an article that hinted at something even more unusual... it was about the recent award of 'Sex-Scene of the year' to Overlord II, for its 'Foursome with 3 hot women' scene, which was, admittedly, pretty gratuitous. But it then mentioned that it was a shame that DragonAge was passed over, considering its demonic tits and implied beastiality. :eek:

Sure, we've all seen the Desire Demons swingin' free in the air, that's almost standard by now - nobody expects a Succubus to wear a turtleneck sweater. But... beastiality? Even IMPLIED? That would definitely be a first. I've noticed nothing of the sort, and now I'm afraid to look. Maybe you can convince Morrigan to spice up your 'thrilling romance' with some shape-shifting? Maybe female characters can 'romance' the Mabari? Or maybe something interesting happens if you bring him along to the Pearl? It's like... I want to know, and yet I do NOT want to know...

bloodswan
11-09-2009, 04:18 AM
I am pretty sure you can had a foursome in Dragon Age at the Pearl. It involves you, Isabella, Zevran and Leliana. Also a threesome is possible with Isabella and Alistair. You need to do the quests for Alistair and Leliana beforehand though...from what I've read.

MasterJon08
11-09-2009, 04:43 AM
God damn why is his mom wrapping it for him such a big deal? Who cares.

If there is a problem, just tell your mom that it's just a game and it's not real. Problem solved.

MasterJon08
11-09-2009, 04:44 AM
Ya know, just the fact that you can have gay sex in this game is kinda' groundbreaking - I'm pretty sure that's a first for a mainstream game. But I read an article that hinted at something even more unusual... it was about the recent award of 'Sex-Scene of the year' to Overlord II, for its 'Foursome with 3 hot women' scene, which was, admittedly, pretty gratuitous. But it then mentioned that it was a shame that DragonAge was passed over, considering its demonic tits and implied beastiality. :eek:

Sure, we've all seen the Desire Demons swingin' free in the air, that's almost standard by now - nobody expects a Succubus to wear a turtleneck sweater. But... beastiality? Even IMPLIED? That would definitely be a first. I've noticed nothing of the sort, and now I'm afraid to look. Maybe you can convince Morrigan to spice up your 'thrilling romance' with some shape-shifting? Maybe female characters can 'romance' the Mabari? Or maybe something interesting happens if you bring him along to the Pearl? It's like... I want to know, and yet I do NOT want to know...

You could have a homosexual relationship in Jade Empire and KOTOR

Oinkness
11-09-2009, 05:42 AM
It's just the gore. There's not even a single utterance of "fuck"... except here on these forums. :)

irift3
11-09-2009, 06:43 AM
There is also g aysex. I had sex with Zevran just for the achievement i swear!

Sure you did ;)

Stressneivo
11-09-2009, 08:18 AM
I really don't get the M rating. The violence isnt that bad, and the "sex" scenes are just stupid. like walking on the beach. And for a Mature game they dont even show when kids get murdered.

BlackDragon
11-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I don't know about Jade Empire, but I'm pretty sure there was no 'gay option' in KoTOR - not that there was much in the way of romantic options to begin with. Possibly, you are thinking of KoTOR 2, I never finished that one...

EikoAtoride
11-09-2009, 02:01 PM
So, just to ask: Did anyone of you played the female City Elf story? I was left pretty stunned. Mainly because of the designers' guts to mention a certain topic.

Male City Elf is more heroic than female City Elf, imho, because the female one is directly involved.

Mana Fiend
11-09-2009, 04:38 PM
So, just to ask: Did anyone of you played the female City Elf story? I was left pretty stunned. Mainly because of the designers' guts to mention a certain topic.

Male City Elf is more heroic than female City Elf, imho, because the female one is directly involved.

I haven't, but I plan to play through that origin as a stand-alone soon. I played the male side of it, and I thought it was fantastically well-done. Then it dawned on me that they would have to switch the gender you're saving should you play female, and that wouldn't make much sense...

I haven't gotten to the romance sections yet, but as for the gore I honestly don't think it's bad. Sure, you get splattered, but it's not all that gruesome otherwise. Only a few of the cutscenes.

EikoAtoride
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Then it dawned on me that they would have to switch the gender you're saving should you play female, and that wouldn't make much sense...

Uh, no. They did not shift. They took a different approach. It really pays to shift the gender here and play the origin story once more. It's short and you won't miss anything.

Major spoiler for the female City Elf origin story:
As a female elf, you're taken away with the other females to be.... "used". When the guards then come to get you to your lord, one female elf is brutally killed - throat cut. Your cousin then interrupts when you're alone with some guards ... brr... and hands you a sword. He and your husband came to save you. On your way out to save your sister (red-haired girl who woke you up earlier), you see your husband being killed.

It is a very adult approach and I really liked it. There were some minor issues but... I guess, that it would have earned the game a serious cut in some countries (in mine as well) if BioWare had been more direct on some topics. DA:O still is a game.

Ashes in Fall
11-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah dude, you don't need to lie. If you were really worried about it because your "mom is wrapping it for Christmas", then why would you bother asking if you could avoid or toggle off sex and violence?

And if you really are old enough, grow some nuts. Your parents shouldn't be stupid enough to think that an M rated video game is any worse than numbers of R rated films you can go watch.

Are you a moron? It's as simple as this, if he lives under their roof, he's inclined to abide by their rules. I have plenty of friends who are old enough to buy M games but have overly protective parents who wouldn't normally buy them M games or let them have them.

Habitso
11-14-2009, 11:47 PM

Fable 2 had gay sex.