PDA

View Full Version : Gems... are they just vendor trash?

G315T
11-06-2009, 02:41 AM
I've got a lot of junk whoring up space in the "Other" category of my inventory. Mostly different kinds of gems... some wolf pelts... and silk carpets.

Is all the stuff in this category (except for runes) meant to just be sold for cash, or does it get used in crafting later?

Sporty Flea
11-06-2009, 02:45 AM
I've got a lot of junk whoring up space in the "Other" category of my inventory. Mostly different kinds of gems... some wolf pelts... and silk carpets.

Is all the stuff in this category (except for runes) meant to just be sold for cash, or does it get used in crafting later?

Took me a while to figure this out too....it's just trash.

primus01
11-06-2009, 03:34 AM
lol yea same here, i sold it all today for like 60 gold

Darkness Falls
11-06-2009, 06:28 AM
u can use the gems, herbs, runes to boost your army.

SC Defective
11-06-2009, 08:04 AM
It would really be nice to know exactly what is safe to sell.

Elm
11-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I just finished getting the dwarves on my side and find out at the campsite that the dwarven emissary needs gems...After ive been selling all my gems :(

LUCKYMEWHEEEE
11-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I just finished getting the dwarves on my side and find out at the campsite that the dwarven emissary needs gems...After ive been selling all my gems :(

u cant use them to make potions and such,

roulex
11-06-2009, 05:48 PM
For the most part they are just vendor trash, but you can turn in some 'trash' items into chests at your campground in exchange for a small amount of XP. You can't turn items into them until you finish the quest that lets them join your army, but here they are:

Redcliff: Gold
Werewolves: Nugs
Mages: Runes
Templars: (not sure...)
Dwarves: Gems
Elves: Crafting materials

Laertus
11-11-2009, 08:28 AM
On the plus side you can always buy back the gems from the same vendor you sold them to. Vendors keep everything you sell them in their inventory, which is a good reason to only ever sell items in your camp so you know where they are if you need them back. Apparently the only items Bodhran WON'T save are the bonus items like the Blood Dragon Armour, so don't sell the breastplate and expect him to have it later.

Scrapdaddy
11-11-2009, 04:54 PM
there is also a rogue quest in the denerim tavern that you have to turn in 10 garnets for.

E vee dub
11-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I was wondering the same question:

What is the use of all the gems?

So something about recruiting dwarves later in the game and I can sell them at my camp and buy back later, so I can open space in my inventory.

So thanks for the thread and the suggestions.

ADenton109
11-06-2010, 11:49 PM
So by giving your items to the armies does it just give you xp or does it give the army more strength or anything like that?

LeopoldX92
11-08-2010, 10:02 PM
i'd save them, and give them to the dwarf army latter in the game. It helps with the final battle if you have taken the time to upgrade your troops.

Scoski
11-17-2010, 07:50 AM
So by giving your items to the armies does it just give you xp or does it give the army more strength or anything like that?

If you make a donation into an armies crate the quality of allied units you can summon is higher. I haven't extensively tested this but roughly one donation of the highest order (i.e. 30 sovereigns to the redcliffe soldiers, or the templars) gets you roughly 10% of that army to be Elite rank. If you continue to donate more of the army gets upgraded. I will test it and see if you can get Boss level troops by donating a boatload. So if you plan on using the armies save your gems, elfroot (which you should already be saving for potion making), and even those basic runes.

Hope this helps, I wondered this myself

sledge
11-23-2010, 07:59 PM
That's good to know they're of some use, have at least 20+ gems.

bakeryfreshgame
11-25-2010, 02:37 AM
i'd save the gems because you do need some of them for quests, wolf pelts and silk carpets and things are definite sells though

jh4rdc0r3
12-07-2010, 08:20 PM
i'd save the gems because you do need some of them for quests, wolf pelts and silk carpets and things are definite sells though
There are certain fetch quests for wolf pelts

hawaiianruler
12-14-2010, 04:57 PM
The best place to check to find out what is useful is the dragon age wiki : http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age_Wiki
If you search for any specific item it should tell you how much it sells for and if it is used in a quest.

GALATIANSv220
12-18-2010, 02:03 AM
The best place to check to find out what is useful is the dragon age wiki : http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Age_Wiki
If you search for any specific item it should tell you how much it sells for and if it is used in a quest.
Thanks for the advice/link! Bookmarked for future use.