PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Marjolaine...

BlackDragon
11-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Right, so, I did that quest where I hunt down Leliana's old mentor... and I can either let her go, or start a fight. She's a challenging opponent, but the loot doesn't seem to be any better than what you get for just letting her go.

Which course of action has the best outcome? In both cases, Leliana says she'll need to think about it and talk later. Will killing her old friend cause her to be swallowed by grief and regret? Or will letting her go cause her to fear that she might return to attack her again in the future? Traditional videogame logic suggests that the rule of 'risk = reward' would make the path that leads to a fight 'worth more' than the one that avoids fighting, but... I'm just not sure.

Can anyone tell me what the end result is of either choice?

sh0ckwave
11-08-2009, 03:37 PM
How did you even get that quest? I am loved by her and all I can talk to her about is her bard stories.

SpinelesS
11-08-2009, 05:27 PM
How did you even get that quest? I am loved by her and all I can talk to her about is her bard stories.

It started for me on returning to camp. She approached me and told me about her mentor.

Try leaving camp, and then returning a few times.

As for the quest, I let her go, and later got a speech about how she is worried about turning into her old mentor, and how even now she sometimes thinks she should have just killed her. Ended well with a "worrying about being evil means your not evil" type of response.

BlackDragon
11-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah, it seems like the best way to handle it - I told her that the important thing was that she hadn't acted on her impulse to kill her. But I wonder how it'd work if I'd killed her... maybe you could use it to convince Leliana to return to her old ways, making her a more efficient killer. Or something. I'll definitely have to try it in my next playthrough...

Mandalorian63
11-15-2009, 10:45 PM
im confused how to get the quest. I was approached by leilana and she told me all about her master, and it didnt seem like I made any choices that would prevent me from it, but i didnt gain a quest, and she has no more chat options other than her stories now. Do i just have to wait for her to approach me again or do i have to make her love me more?

BlackDragon
11-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Once she's told you the truth about her past, make sure she's in your party, and then travel around some - you'll get a 'Random Encounter' involving an ambush, and after defeating it, Leliana will deduce that they were sent by Marjolaine, kicking off the quest...

Darth Odan
11-16-2009, 11:47 AM
I killed Majorlaine. Leliana says she needs to think about it and I later returned to the camp and talked with her. I basically convinced her that she did the right thing and nothing bad has happened.

ThatRuddyGuy
11-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Both decisions have the same outcome. But if you kill her, you get some loot. Just convince her that "Evil doesn't worry about being good"

when_vegans_attack
11-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Both decisions have the same outcome. But if you kill her, you get some loot. Just convince her that "Evil doesn't worry about being good"

You get the same loot if you don't kill her also - just lockpick the chest in the adjacent room for the same items.

BlackDragon
11-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Yeah, the gear in the chest is always the same - but if you kill her and her guards, you can pick some extra stuff off of their corpses - though rarely anything really impressive.

32Degrees
11-16-2009, 10:58 PM
I have one question; Do I kill her or, let her live to to get the recurve?

BlackDragon
11-17-2009, 12:24 AM
You get the Recurve either way. Just make sure you check the chest in the bedchamber before you leave - once you leave the house, you can't come back.