PDA

View Full Version : Is my 360 dying?

Xterm1n8or
02-20-2007, 12:10 AM
My first 360 broke in november and so microsoft sent me a new one. Anyway, a few weeks ago i started to get disc read failure messages every few days, but now it seems to be happening at least twice a day. Is my second 360 on its way out?, and if so, is my 1 year warranty restarted from when i had my old one in nowvember replaced? If not, its out of waranty and ill just have to lie to microsoft about certain dates to get it fixed for free. ah well....

eXiled Killah
02-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Not sure how the warranty system is working over seas, but here, stateside, each machine has been getting its own warranty time. I've had a few replaced because of the cd drives failing and have had them replaced without 'major issues' although their shipping practices seem to vary from rep to rep.

Xterm1n8or
02-20-2007, 12:20 AM
i hope that is the case, so if i am getting these disc read errors, is going to evetually die?

eXiled Killah
02-20-2007, 12:36 AM
i hope that is the case, so if i am getting these disc read errors, is going to evetually die?

Unless you're abusing your game discs....:p But, really, like I said - I've had 3 systems replaced and all were the drive going bad. I've always had my systems vertical. Not sure if that matters, but (and this is my own reasoning here) if you think about it, heat rises and while the xbox does have an exhaust system, its not perfect. The heat that's left in the box must go somewhere (up?). Ever notice how warm your discs are when you eject...?;)

Xterm1n8or
02-20-2007, 12:43 AM
yeah you may have a point there.

BLOMBOMB
02-20-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm getting the same problem recently. I'm on my 2nd xbox.. last one was replaced a year ago from this month. I had my box vertical as it's supposed to keep it a little cooler, but i started getting random disc errors on games and movies alike. So i put it back down horizontal and haven't had the problem happen again yet. (that was a few days ago; it used to give me the error once, maybe twice a day)

-B

BLOMBOMB
02-20-2007, 03:03 AM
I hate to say this, but yes, your 360 is dying. No sooner did I write this, and mine crapped out. It won't play any disc at all. No game and no movie. What perfect timing, eh? I called xbox and they're going to make me pay $140 to fix the disc tray. My warranty expired the end of January. :mad::mad::mad:

My theory:
Through Xbox Live, they're deactivating the trays a few days after your warranty expires. Thus forcing you to send your system in and get them to activate your tray again. A genius way to scam people who pay their hard earned money for the system in the first place.

I refuse to pay to fix faulty hardware. I haven't done ANYTHING to hurt my xbox in any way. I'm the most careful person in the world with my consoles because it's such a large investment! I'm on my 2nd xbox btw.

I'm just venting.. feel free to tell me to shut up at any time.

A disappointed customer of 360,
-B

Mingledon
02-20-2007, 03:09 AM
I have my lovely 360 horizontal. It is a rarity for my discs to go unreadable, but it isn't 100% odd. It has happened quite a few times. Happened bunch o' times with Oblivion and NFSMW. Once with GoW.

I don't like my 360.

Xterm1n8or
02-20-2007, 03:35 PM
yeah you're totally right blombomb. it's an absolute disgrace and somebody needs to do something about it. You would have thought bill gates was rich enough the swine.

It's just not right to expect someone who has payed a lot of money for a 360 to pay more to get it repaired. I don't want to say what i think of microsoft right now, if i were you, call them and demand they fix it free, say whatever it takes, if that fails, i think we should start a petition, because microsoft, the greedy b*****ds are getting away with daylight robbery!

Here i just did a quick sum right. How much is bill gates worth? about $30Billion? Say he is, i don't know how many xboxes there are in the world but say there are 5 million, even if every one of them broke and he payed the $140 and it was free for the customer then it would cost him $700m, which is hardly anything to him!

Another thing, obviously the cost to fix an xbox is very low, so where do they get the $140 from? I bet i really is about $10 tops. Anyway, does anyone know of any petition we can sign to combat these unfair and inhumane repair costs? If not, i think we should start one of our own for sure....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bill gates pretends to be all nice on tv, but we know he is running one of the crappest, most indecent companies in the world! Shame on him!

As for your thoughts about something through xboxlive making 360's break, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that were true, so lets start a petition.

Xterm1n8or
03-06-2007, 10:43 PM
I definitely think exiledkillah's theory is correct! For the past three weeks i have had my 360 horizontal and i have had not 1 single disc read error! Amazing! Before when it was vertical, i was getting 2 to 3 per day! So take his advice if your 360 is vertical and is having disc read errors, put it horizontally! Simple as! It seems to be working for me, my 360 never worked beeter! One happy 360er as you can probably tell :)

LongJon
03-07-2007, 10:51 PM
For some reason Ive always assumed that having your Xbox horizontal would be better for it,I think subconsciously i think that it'll spin discs better and not have to push to go up and around,lol,just my logic I suppose...

Jdm
03-09-2007, 07:05 AM
For some reason Ive always assumed that having your Xbox horizontal would be better for it,I think subconsciously i think that it'll spin discs better and not have to push to go up and around,lol,just my logic I suppose...

I've had the same theory and that's how I've had my 360 placed...horizontally. My 360 just broke down on me again, but I don't think it has anything to do with how my 360 was placed.