PDA

View Full Version : The Best Longsword: Keening Blade

th3warr1or
11-08-2009, 06:26 PM
This is how you get the Keening Blade, which is the best longsword in the game(better than Starfang longsword).

You have to loot certain corpses with some parchments, and once you have all 3, it marks the location of it and you have to go and get it.

This is the location of the 3 corpses.

1. Adventurer's corpse in Ruined Temple on the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest in the southwest corridor.
2. Brecilian ruins' Lower Ruins in the south fire trap room.
3. Gotta talk to an adventurer in Orzammar's Tapster's tavern.
4. Finally go to Denerim, go to the dirty back alley, and fight the demon.

-KTA-
11-08-2009, 06:33 PM
where is the 3rd corpse? What are the base bonus's??? And do you recall what the parchments were?

I'm curious if I already have them...

Lastly the one adventurer with dark hair that talks about Duncan... is this the guy?

He won't engage conversation with me anymore after I pissed him off I think...

th3warr1or
11-08-2009, 06:49 PM
What does Duncan have to do with this sword?

-KTA-
11-08-2009, 07:07 PM
What does Duncan have to do with this sword?

The one adventurer in the bar if you talk to him when you first arrive he talks about duncan... i'm just wondering if that's the guy you're referring to.

Bane
11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
where is the 3rd corpse? What are the base bonus's??? And do you recall what the parchments were?

I'm curious if I already have them...

Lastly the one adventurer with dark hair that talks about Duncan... is this the guy?

He won't engage conversation with me anymore after I pissed him off I think...

Hm... you seem familiar to me.

-KTA-
11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Hm... you seem familiar to me.

Yes, we nailed some scags together in borderlands :uzi: :eek: :woop:

I'm still wondering about this Keening Blade!

BlackDragon
11-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I can't make this work either... I got the parchment from the first two corpses, but there's nobody in the tavern who'll talk to me. I was quite polite and friendly towards that adventurer/soldier-type dwarf who's standing around there, when I first spoke with him, but he still won't talk with me anymore.

Is this thing even real?

KageZX
11-09-2009, 03:49 PM
From the Prima Official Game Guide:

Keening Blade
Dragonbone
+4 armor penetration
+6 attack
Required: warrior
+3 cold damage

the quest is called Unbound and the location are the exact same as the TC posted.

BlackDragon
11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Well, I got it... just went to the 'Dirty Back Alley', and found my way inside - I guess I already fulfilled whatever requirements were in Orzammar's tavern. 'tis a nice blade, to be sure, but few 'main character' builds would be able to use it - my only warrior so far specialized in two-handed weapons, and it cannot be used by a dual-wielding Rogue. Ah well, I suppose it'll make Alistair more effective...

KageZX
11-09-2009, 04:49 PM
I think I can explain why people are haveing trouble with this quest. apparently it can start from talking to the adventurer or finding one of the two corpses and doesn't have to be done in any particular order except fighting the demon after finding the three.

th3warr1or
11-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm sorry if my instructions were a bit confusing, the numbering were simply there to number the amount of steps, not the order of them.

-KTA-
11-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I had already had unbound in my log and did this yesterday.

So now I have "Howe's Shield" with Bear awesomeness.

Keening Blade with +5 runes! and the 2 handed Starfang for the big boys!

My uber warrior set up :D

th3warr1or
11-09-2009, 07:44 PM
How do you get Howe's shield.

BlackDragon
11-09-2009, 08:15 PM
You can find Howe's Shield in the Strongroom when you break into his estate, towards the end of the game. Better make sure you bring someone with top-notch lock-picking skills, though - the door's locked, and there's no key to be found.

But where's the Starfang? I've been searching for a top-tier two-handed weapon for ages - I've been using the Yusaris for a long time, and it's served me well, but it's still just Silverite... surely, there must be something better.

th3warr1or
11-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Keep traveling up and down, and if you have Warden's Keep downloaded and completed(i think), you'll get a random with a superman reference. You can then take a piece of star metal, and go to Warden's Keep to get it smithed into a Longsword or 2H.

BlackDragon
11-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Ah. A random drop. How lovely.

-KTA-
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Ah. A random drop. How lovely.

If you got Wardens Keep DL'd it should open pretty quicly. The smith that makes it is in Wardens Keep as well. It's an awesome 2-hander... best i've seen.

How do you get Howe's shield.

Yeah in the stronghold in denerim when you go *minor spoiler* to get the princess.

Locked door on the way to Howe, it's the best shield i've come across.

There is a "-" something I can't recall but the "+'s" outweigh it a lot!

KageZX
11-09-2009, 09:14 PM
-2 willpower

th3warr1or
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
What level lock picking do I require? 2, 3 or 4?

-KTA-
11-09-2009, 09:30 PM
What level lock picking do I require? 2, 3 or 4? ..
If I had to guess at least 3. I had lvl4, there is a bunch of treasure piles in there as well all having thousands of bucks!

BlackDragon
11-09-2009, 09:31 PM
...which is actually pretty bad, considering that Willpower decides your Stamina, and thus how many Special Attacks you can use... and, if you're a Berserker, the power of your Finishing Blow.

Personally, I'd take both Duncan's Shield (from the Grey Warden trove) and the Aeducan Family Shield (probably only available if you're playing Dwarf Royalty) over it. Less Defense, sure, but better bonuses.

Oh, and I've had SEVERAL random encounters since finishing Warden's Keep already, and no sign of the starmetal. As I feared, 'tis a matter of luck, and I've never been much blessed in that department...

th3warr1or
11-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Duncan's shield? O.o

-KTA-
11-09-2009, 09:52 PM
I thought duncan's shield was just a gift, I'm about to go to the wharehouse though for it.

- 2 will power isn't a big deal to me. My rings, belt, and necklace are insanely buffed.

Most giving me +2 to all attributes on each I believe with that Shale DLC helmet as well.

I know the Key to the city ring does anyhow, and that belt I got from the mages tower is great along with another ring I think I bought from the lirium poisened dwarf near the exit to the diamond quarter.

I've got plenty of will! and bears are just too cool :woop:

And the campsite dwarf has a necklace that has +5 willpower I think for 90K, mages bane??? Bought that guy and wear it to.

BlackDragon
11-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Duncan's Shield, like several other items, is a 'gift' until it is given to the appropriate person - then it becomes a useable item. Other such objects includes Sten's Sword (which is INCREDIBLY powerful for a Steel weapon), as well as the Antivan Leather Boots and Dalish Gloves for Zevran. (The boots are actually pretty good. The gloves... not so much.)

So basically, once you collected Duncan's Shield from the Grey Warden Trove, hand it over to Alistair for a soppy scene, some nice affinity-points with him, and a useable version of the shield. (Which, I might add, can be used by anyone.) It's got a load of bonuses, and looks awesome - Griffon heraldry and all. Goes well with the Warden Armor and Helmet from the Warden's Peak DLC, for that full Grey Warden ensemble...

th3warr1or
11-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Where is the Grey Warden Trove?

th3warr1or
11-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Wait.. Warden's Keep had a HELMET?

True Marvellous
11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I think Starfangs better than this blade

Keening Blade
Damage 11.20
Crit 3.2%
Armour Pen 4
Strengh mod 1
+2 Armour Pen
+6 Attack
+3 Cold Damage

Vs

Starfang
Damage 11.90
Crit 3.4%
Armour Pen 4.20
Strength Mod 1
+3 Dexterity
+3 Damage
+2.5 armour pen

-KTA-
11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Wait.. Warden's Keep had a HELMET?

I don't think so... if you look at the armor's bonus's (i'm wearing it atm) it doesn't require or speak of a helmet.

I'm wearing the one helmet from shales dlc with +2 to all attributes with it.

th3warr1or
11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Sets don't always have helmets.. Even though there can be 4 items, sometimes the set can be Helmet + boots, or boots + gloves.. etc

-KTA-
11-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Sets don't always have helmets.. Even though there can be 4 items, sometimes the set can be Helmet + boots, or boots + gloves.. etc

Well i'm pretty sure the warden commander set did not come with a helmet. unless it's in that cache mission that i friggin missed behind the painting :mad:

But for the armor bonus you dont' need it at least.

BlackDragon
11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I never said it was part of the set... it's true that the 'Warden Commander' set didn't have a helmet, but you CAN buy a Warden Helmet from the weaponsmith outside. It doesn't have any bonuses - it's just a basic Heavy Helmet with a unique look - but sometimes, you just wanna look good first, win second... ^_^

Alternately, you can use the Griffon Helm, also from the Grey Warden stash - I actually think that may have the same appearance.

As for the Grey Warden Trove, you can access it after the 'escape from Fort Drakon' bit - it's not hard to figure out how. Just chat with the guy you rescued for a bit, and then head to the Warehouse in the market-district.

-KTA-
11-10-2009, 07:15 PM
I never said it was part of the set... it's true that the 'Warden Commander' set didn't have a helmet, but you CAN buy a Warden Helmet from the weaponsmith outside. It doesn't have any bonuses - it's just a basic Heavy Helmet with a unique look - but sometimes, you just wanna look good first, win second... ^_^

I think the griffon helmet looks the same and has an electrical bonus. plus it's a griffon rider helmet. But I think the Haloneth DLC helmet or whatever basically looks the same as well but has great bonus's. I wish the color was slightly different but oh well.

And I lol'd when he was talking to that person about warden history and kept mentioning griffons haha.

lL ii Z A lR lD
11-10-2009, 07:36 PM
ok, im on my second playthrough and there is still one thing i don't get...maybe someone can help me? in elven ruins while looking for the werewolf lair there is a puzzle with and earthy jug and an altar...i filled it up with water, placed it on altar and drank the watter...some deamons came and it said i completed the quest...what im trying to do is to open that door that reguires a key by the altar...how do i do it? how do i open that door? someone please help...thank you

BlackDragon
11-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Just for the record - I edited my post BEFORE seeing KTA's post. :p

Oh, and IL ii...whatever, this isn't really the right threat for that question, but since you're asking - you're only supposed to drink a small sip of the water, and then go and pour the rest back into the pool. Oh, and you have to pray before the alter after placing the jug there, and before drinking from it. Do it right, and the door opens.

th3warr1or
11-10-2009, 08:19 PM

Alternately, you can use the Griffon Helm, also from the Grey Warden stash - I actually think that may have the same appearance.

As for the Grey Warden Trove, you can access it after the 'escape from Fort Drakon' bit - it's not hard to figure out how. Just chat with the guy you rescued for a bit, and then head to the Warehouse in the market-district.
What do you mean Grey Warden stash? I found that secret chest inside warden's keep and there was no helmet.

-KTA-
11-10-2009, 08:49 PM
What do you mean Grey Warden stash? I found that secret chest inside warden's keep and there was no helmet.

when you return the blacksmith dude sells the helmets. that much i know.

KageZX
11-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I don't think so... if you look at the armor's bonus's (i'm wearing it atm) it doesn't require or speak of a helmet.

I'm wearing the one helmet from shales dlc with +2 to all attributes with it.

What armor class is that helmet?

Skullleader007
11-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't agree with you on this because of the Keening blades extra damage from cold damage and that large bonus form attack. Attack +6 is a alot. Yeah I see the damage +3 on the other weapon but considering how attack is calculated you might want to equip both attack a small group of enemies then swap weapons during combat to see any difference in damage. I had to do this with Sten because his sword is so weirdly spec'd out. His sword is basically one of the best for him unless you go find or make something better.

when_vegans_attack
11-13-2009, 02:43 PM
...which is actually pretty bad, considering that Willpower decides your Stamina, and thus how many Special Attacks you can use... and, if you're a Berserker, the power of your Finishing Blow.

Personally, I'd take both Duncan's Shield (from the Grey Warden trove) and the Aeducan Family Shield (probably only available if you're playing Dwarf Royalty) over it. Less Defense, sure, but better bonuses.

Oh, and I've had SEVERAL random encounters since finishing Warden's Keep already, and no sign of the starmetal. As I feared, 'tis a matter of luck, and I've never been much blessed in that department...

You don't get it after beating Warden's Keep - I always get it the first time I fast-travel from Lothering. There's a boy found in a meteorite by Marta and you must enter the crater - if you walk by you'll never be able to get the metal. By the end of the game it will start repeating fast-travel encounters, or have none left at all - you should easily be able to get it by then.

BlackDragon
11-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Ah, I see... I didn't purchased the Warden's Keep DLC 'till I was a piece of way into my first walkthrough, so that's probably why I never got that encounter. On my second playthrough, it popped up just about right away.

dragonagewarrior
07-31-2010, 02:56 AM
ok hey the bonuses i hope u mean are+2 armor penetration +6 attack + 3 cold damage with 3 rune slots ive used it since i was lvl 6 and its freaking amazing with juggernaut and lifgiver ring. got any more questions post em or send me an email

Magicman10893
08-01-2010, 07:53 AM

After going to Howe's estate and rescuing Queen Arnora, that Grey Warden you meet in there, Riordan, will be in the room with Alistair and Arl Eamon. Talk to him and he mentions the Grey Warden vault which contains the blood of previous Archdemons used in the Joining Ritual. You can ask him where the vault is and he says it is in the Warehouse in Denerim. Go there and in the back there is a bookcase or something that when interacted with, will disappear and reveal a hidden passage to vault. In there are several weapons, some of them are unique, Duncan's Shield and a helmet called Griffon's Helm.