PDA

View Full Version : Specializations

xephnin
11-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Can anyone tell me where or how to get the specializations? I keep hearing you get to choose one at lvl 7 and lvl 14. I have a lvl 13 warrior and I've yet to come across any specializations. :(

Edit:
I've unlocked the "shape changer" but can't use it since its a mage specialization. :(

space_monkee69
11-09-2009, 02:58 AM
so far the only ones i found was the dwarf at the campsite.....he sells Rogue and Templar books in the items menu. Im pretty early in the game but im sure other vendors sell them too. Also if you get certain characters to like/love you they'll teach you or party members specializations

dpenguin
11-09-2009, 02:59 AM
From when_vegans_attack's achievement guide:

At level 7 and then level 14 you will be given the chance to learn specilizations (you will gain a "specialization point" at those levels and it will stay with you through subsequent levels until you spend it.) However, first you must find their trainers and convince them to teach you - or find a book that will teach you. You can "learn" specializations for classes other than your main character's. Once you unlock a specialization it stays unlocked for all the characters on your profile (and all party members on all your characters.) The specilizations and the ways to get them are listed below:

Warrior:
Berserker: Oghren can teach you if your approval is high enough or you can learn from Gorim at the Denerim Market.
Champion: At the very end of "The Urn of Sacred Ashes" questline you will learn this from Arl Eamon.
Reaver: You can learn from Kolgrim at the Wyrmling Lair (he is a member of the Cult of Andraste - the one you meet when you do the Sacreligious and/or Ceremonialist achievments)
Templar: You can learn this from Alistair if you approval is high enough - or you can buy the book from Bodahn in the Party Camp.

Rogue:
Ranger: You can buy the book from Bodahn in the Party Camp.
Bard: You can learn from Leliana if your approval is high enough or from Alimar in Orzammar.
Duelist: You can learn from Isabella at "The Pearl" in Denerim.
Assassin: You can learn from Zevran if your approval is high enough or in Alarith's Store (after "The Landsmeet" questline has started.)

Mage:
Blood Mage: You can learn this from the desire demon in the fade (in the "Arl of Redcliffe" questline.)
Arcane Warrior: You can learn this from The Presence at the Brecilian Ruins (in the "Nature of the Beast" questline.)
Shapeshifter: You can learn this from Morrigan if your approval is high enough or from Varathorn at the Dalish Camp.
Spirit Healer: You can learn this from Wynn if your approval is high enough, buy the book at the "Wonders of Thedas" shop in the Denerim Market (the same one where you can usually buy a tome for the Educated achievment) or if you have the Warden's Keep DLC you can purchase the book from a trader in the Keep after completing the questline.

xephnin
11-09-2009, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll look into these once I get another chance to play DA. :D

Seraph Metatron
11-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Is the blood mage specialization any good? I didn't know I could get it from the demon and I killed her, so I assume I can't go back and get it. Reading some of the loading screens didn't look like something I would want, but bummer that I missed it.

guthmund
11-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Is the blood mage specialization any good? I didn't know I could get it from the demon and I killed her, so I assume I can't go back and get it. Reading some of the loading screens didn't look like something I would want, but bummer that I missed it.

I don't know about the blood mage, but my main character is rocking the "duelist" and Wynne is an Arcane Warrior.

It "rocks the socks," so to speak.

hgroce15
11-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Wynne is an Arcane Warrior.

Is Arcane Warrior any good? I am playing a warrior on my first play through, and I have unlocked Arcane Warrior. I was thinking about playing a mage on my second playthrough with the Arcane Warrior spec, and I was wondering if it is as good as it would appear to be?

guthmund
11-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Is Arcane Warrior any good? I am playing a warrior on my first play through, and I have unlocked Arcane Warrior. I was thinking about playing a mage on my second playthrough with the Arcane Warrior spec, and I was wondering if it is as good as it would appear to be?

I like it.

Wynne's a pretty powerful mage anyway. Tons of buff spells and healing... With the additional ability to wear significant amounts of armor...well, she's pretty solid. She usually hangs out in the back with the archer, but she can kick it close quarters as well.

I don't know too much as I haven't really delved all that much into the specifications, but she's become a permanent member of my party and was the last one standing after Flemeth, for what that's worth.

MooseAlmighty
11-11-2009, 06:15 PM
well crud. So my warrior has permanently missed out on Reaver? I did not help Folgrim and his evil lackeys.

There is nowhere else in game to learn or buy this specialization???

Scrapdaddy
11-11-2009, 06:26 PM
well crud. So my warrior has permanently missed out on Reaver? I did not help Folgrim and his evil lackeys.

There is nowhere else in game to learn or buy this specialization???

As far as I saw on my 2 playthrus that is the only place to get reaver. If you can, reload a save, replay that portion and side with Kolgrin. Once Reaver unlocks you should then be able to reload your current save and it should be in there. The specializations are somehow stored separately from your game save.
For more expanation, I played the 1st time as a warrior and killed Kolgrin so no reaver. I then played thru a 2nd time as a rogue and since I chose the opposite story line choices, this time around I did unlock reaver. Now I go back into my original warrior saves and the reaver specialzation is available even though I killed him in my 1st run through.
Hope that helps.

MooseAlmighty
11-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks Scrapdaddy! I'll see if I have a save file from that timeframe. If not oh well I guess. Champion looks useful too.

Seraph Metatron
11-11-2009, 08:20 PM
How can you do anything with Kolgrin, he always attacks me no matter what I say.

Scrapdaddy
11-11-2009, 08:37 PM
How can you do anything with Kolgrin, he always attacks me no matter what I say.

I have a save right before this conversation and just redid that part. Here's the correct conversation choices:

1) Who are you?
2) I have come for the Urn of Sacred Ashes.
3) I wish to see the arisen Andraste.
4) Why do you suddenly want to cooperate with me?
5) All right, maybe we could come to some sort of agreement.
6) Go on.
7) Why have you not done this then?
8) What exactl will I have to do?
9) Very well… I will do as you ask.
10) (persuade) Its going to be all right. I know what I’m doing.

Then you'll have to walk thru and do the gauntlet, take a pinch of ashes (if you want) and pour the blood on the remainder of the ashes. Once you leave, you'll run into Kolgrin on your way back and he'll teach you the reaver power.

Icekiller
11-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Morning,

can someone please explain just exactly how to get Morrigan, and hopefully by extension the others (haven't tried anyone else yet), to teach you an ability. I'm a female mage character and have my rep with Morrigan up to full, also I gave her a shiny mirror to replace the one that broke ;) In dialog she still "doesn't have the desire to teach me" I've completed Ozrammar and the Arl of Redcliffe questlines, haven't started Circle of Magi or Dalish Elves. Am I missing something or is it a Gender thing?

Conversely how did you guys go about unlocking it?

xephnin
11-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Try giving her the grimoire you find when doing the Circle of the Magi quest. That's another Morrigan item you need to open up more conversations.

rondund
11-29-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi All, ok maybe this is a dumb question but how exactly do you apply the specialization to a character?? Can it only be done when levelling up? I've unlocked a couple of them but can't work out anything else!

thebarkingdog
11-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi All, ok maybe this is a dumb question but how exactly do you apply the specialization to a character?? Can it only be done when levelling up? I've unlocked a couple of them but can't work out anything else!

You get specialization points at levels 7 and 14. When you level up, on the stats screen you can highlight one of the specializations you've unlocked and select it. Each specialization opens up a new branch of talents. You can't use the specialization points in between level-ups.

thebarkingdog
11-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I've noticed that specializations you unlocked in one playthrough are available in subsequent playthroughs. So, you have that going for you. In three playthroughs, I think the only one I don't have available is Blood Mage.

xephnin
11-29-2009, 08:53 PM
You can't use the specialization points in between level-ups.

Actually you can (kind of)... If you have specialization points available but forgot to use them at level up or you hadn't unlocked the specialization you wanted or whatever your reason may be, there is no reason to wait for level up.

All you have to do is find a merchant who is selling a skill or talent book (they cost about 11-22 gp depending on who you buy them from) After acquiring the book and using it, it will bring you to the level up screen where you may select your specialization along with adding whatever the book has given you.

Though TBH I don't know if this trick works on party members since I've never tried using a book on them.

M1keX
11-30-2009, 03:44 AM
btw just a heads up if u want blood mage don't use irving as u don't have a option to say anything to the demon, i found out the hard way yesterday lol

New Venari
12-27-2009, 07:09 AM
What is the exact dialogue steps required to learn Blood Mage? No matter what I say she transforms to a demon and attacks. I even have Expert Coercion, but no Persuade or Intimidate options show up.

EDIT: Never mind, Turns out there are multiple encounters with "Connor"...I was trying to figure it out on the first fight!