PDA

View Full Version : Finding this game pretty hard...

jedi420j
11-10-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm playing on normal difficulty and dying quite a bit... It's usually the battles that happen when traveling from place to place on the map.. Anyone else finding it difficult?? My main problem is that whenever the battles end up in a huge skirmish I can't get my party in the right places and it just ends up being a button mash fest and I end up dying quickly. I wish the battles lasted longer so I could actually experiment with different tactics and party member's, but I'm not able to do it in time.

I guess I could just switch the difficulty to *gulp*... casual.

TriRock
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I guess I could just switch the difficulty to *gulp*... casual.

As there are no difficuilty related achievements, you can do just that. There's nothing but your pride at stake.

And yes, I also went from normal to casual...

ViRaLuNdEaD
11-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm playing on normal without much difficulty. One thing you can do to help slow things down during combat is change your radial menu to toggle. That way, you can hit it and it will open and pause everything without having to hold it. Then just leisurely LB/RB to whatever party member you want and make them self heal. That has been helping me a lot.

True Marvellous
11-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Since there's no difficulty achivments just drop it back onto casual, you get the same amount of xp regardless of what level you play on as well.

ExtremeRugburn
11-10-2009, 07:25 PM
You are not alone my friend. I was pondering this very thing late last night as I kept dieing in the dream world trap in the circle tower(Normal Difficulty). I can only imagine what its like on the hardest difficulty. The toggle advice given above will definately help, but you really need to utilize the tactics options. I started playing around with the customization because the default settings are not really that great. This however doesnt help much when you are alone, are a rogue without healing potions and are facing an ogre and an abomination. I died 8 times before I finally won the fight.

Eladoruw
11-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I too changed from Normal to Casual, as I found the game pretty hard. Ugh, imagine doing the dragons on Nightmare. Hell, I'm even having a bit of trouble with them on Casual. :eek:

when_vegans_attack
11-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I started an origin story on Nightmare (Rogue archer) and couldn't even get to Ostagar - I think it's practically impossible. I could kill guards pretty easily but named characters are gods.

Like everyone else said, just turn the difficulty down to Casual.
I think that's pretty much what everyone did the first time they encountered a group of mages (or the Broodmother.)

jedi420j
11-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Well it's comforting to know I'm not alone, I think I might just do my first playthrough on casual and then up the difficulty the second time around when I've gotten used to the battle system.

I wish there was a formation system where I could keep my ranged party members behind me and set up battles that way. At the moment it seems random, and I'm finding it disheartening to see an archer surrounded by five enemies getting the crap kicked out of them lol..

Darth Odan
11-11-2009, 12:40 AM
Yeah...I found this game hard on normal XD. I got ownd SO MANY TIMES in the dream world....GOD DAMN MAGES!!! XD

Duke Of Twiggy
11-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Biggest issue I was having on normal wasn't so much with my character (Warrior) it was more so Allistar dying in the first 10 seconds of the fight, allowing them to beat up on Morrigan and either the dog or the rogue then it always wound up being me against several.

Hooray for easy lol

Ionus
11-11-2009, 02:21 AM
You are not alone my friend. I was pondering this very thing late last night as I kept dieing in the dream world trap in the circle tower(Normal Difficulty). I can only imagine what its like on the hardest difficulty. The toggle advice given above will definately help, but you really need to utilize the tactics options. I started playing around with the customization because the default settings are not really that great. This however doesnt help much when you are alone, are a rogue without healing potions and are facing an ogre and an abomination. I died 8 times before I finally won the fight.

I did the tower on normal, and it can be a challenge, but the key is to know what 'spirit form' to use, the flame form is very useful for fighting most everything except the mages, in that case switch to golem form or your natural form. And don't forget about mouse form, since he can be invisible, this will allow you to find a safe place to change forms and heal up a bit. just FYI for anyone that is having a hard time on that level :)

So far I like normal difficulty (with good gear).

Draken Zero
11-11-2009, 03:07 AM
Well it's comforting to know I'm not alone, I think I might just do my first playthrough on casual and then up the difficulty the second time around when I've gotten used to the battle system.

I wish there was a formation system where I could keep my ranged party members behind me and set up battles that way. At the moment it seems random, and I'm finding it disheartening to see an archer surrounded by five enemies getting the crap kicked out of them lol..

There is actually. Just go to advanced in your radial menu, then toggle free-movement to hold position. Then you can go control your characters and make em stand wherever you want. I killed the High Dragon on Nightmare by putting all my mages/archers on a cliff while Alistair tanked it down below :woop:

jedi420j
11-11-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm playing on normal without much difficulty. One thing you can do to help slow things down during combat is change your radial menu to toggle. That way, you can hit it and it will open and pause everything without having to hold it. Then just leisurely LB/RB to whatever party member you want and make them self heal. That has been helping me a lot.

Cool thanks for the tip, I'll switch mine up now...

There is actually. Just go to advanced in your radial menu, then toggle free-movement to hold position. Then you can go control your characters and make em stand wherever you want. I killed the High Dragon on Nightmare by putting all my mages/archers on a cliff while Alistair tanked it down below :woop:

Ok, I'll give that a shot...sounds pretty cool if it works :)

Muse89
11-11-2009, 12:39 PM
im playing on normal and was dying on a fairly regular basis, though not so much now iv got a bit further into the game
its always the mages that do it for me, bastards stand at the back and just blast the crap out of you. im stubborn though and refuse to turn down the difficulty, at least on this playthrough

gerunt
11-11-2009, 05:29 PM
the trick to not dieing so much is 1 tactics and second know prepare well for me character (rogue, duelist/ranger) ive yet to get her injured or fall in battle, but my other characters have fell before. be prepared for the unexpected yet traps and ambushes before you open every door even if you find out theres nothing there be prepared anyway. and as for difficulty i'v been playing and normal and havn't died yet. when i had alistair in my group as a tank and he died in 1 out of 3 battles and left me so tank on my own. later i found out that everytime he lvled i just click auto lvl and everytime i did it put most of his points into willpower instead of str or dex which is bad cause he couldn't wear high lvl amor, lvl you party members yourself its much better. and for the high lvl bosses, i'v yet to fight the broodmother, but i have fought the high dragon without wynn lol i don't even have wynn yet and i've won the first time i fought him with only me and morrigaon left though but still.

if you need any other help my gametag name is Dara Allana just message me hope this helps:)

ThatRuddyGuy
11-12-2009, 07:48 AM
I got past Bracellian Forest and Redcliffe before I had to turn it down to casual. First thing that I did it for was the High Dragon, too many attempts of just barely losing lol.

Main thing is put a tactic slot at position 1 for all characters:

Self - Health <25% (Or 50% to be safe) = Use Health Poultice - Least Powerful

And I had my mage set with: (at slot 2, after the above)

Ally - Health <50% = Use Ability - Heal

And then just watch for times when you will have to manually heal people due to stuns or things of the sort.

Elm
11-12-2009, 08:04 AM
i had to turn in on casual for the high dragon =\. was sick of getting her down to like 10% and dying.

jedi420j
11-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Thank you all for the tips, there is some really useful info in this thread..

Setting up my characters so that they will automatically take a potion when their health dips is definitely next on the agenda :)

That's the thing with most RPG's, there is so many options and menus to figure out it can take ages to get a grip on some good strategy... I suppose it adds to the longevity of a title so I'm not complaining, plus I'd way rather figure stuff out hands on then do lengthy tutorial missions.

ThatRuddyGuy
11-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Happy to help. Took me a bit to figure out the tactics. Was getting tired of burning through injury kits lol.