PDA

View Full Version : Archdemon

Darth Odan
11-10-2009, 11:21 PM
HOW do you defeat the Archdemon!? I've been stuck here for some time, and I can only seem to bring it down to 50% health... I also have mostly all of my army and the Archdemon just kicks my ass..

dpenguin
11-10-2009, 11:45 PM
There are ballistas setup around the area that help to bring down its health.

Darth Odan
11-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Hmm, I've seen two or three, but do they do a lot of damage? What would be the best strategy to beat him?

Scrapdaddy
11-11-2009, 12:01 AM
My advice is to have 2 warriors just continually pound on him, have a mage healing and attacking with spells and have an archer shooting him and use aim/arrow of slaying as much as possible. Just in case your mage runs out of mana, set all your characters up with an auto tactic to heal themselves with a health poultice whenever their health gets around 50% (although sometimes you will have to manually still force someone to heal themselves.) Also be sure to call in either your dwarves or the Redcliff army. This tactic will whittle him down to around 50%. At that point he should position himself right in front of a ballista, so just run over to it and start shooting him with it while your other teammates and army mop up the straggling grunts. This only does about 40-50 damage per hit but it almost seems scripted. Anyway after about 2 minutes of that, he will fly up to his final area. Just resume the 1st method, of 2 warriors in front and you should be fine. If you need to call in your second 50 person army, they work as great fodder to hold off the attacking darkspawn so you can focus on the archdemon. It takes about 10-12 minutes total to whittle him down.

If you are still having trouble try equiping armor that makes you resistant to fire damage. Hope that helps good luck!

Infomouse
11-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Yes it is, it only takes like 2 minutes to kill him with them.

Darth Odan
11-11-2009, 12:31 AM
My advice is to have 2 warriors just continually pound on him, have a mage healing and attacking with spells and have an archer shooting him and use aim/arrow of slaying as much as possible. Just in case your mage runs out of mana, set all your characters up with an auto tactic to heal themselves with a health poultice whenever their health gets around 50% (although sometimes you will have to manually still force someone to heal themselves.) Also be sure to call in either your dwarves or the Redcliff army. This tactic will whittle him down to around 50%. At that point he should position himself right in front of a ballista, so just run over to it and start shooting him with it while your other teammates and army mop up the straggling grunts. This only does about 40-50 damage per hit but it almost seems scripted. Anyway after about 2 minutes of that, he will fly up to his final area. Just resume the 1st method, of 2 warriors in front and you should be fine. If you need to call in your second 50 person army, they work as great fodder to hold off the attacking darkspawn so you can focus on the archdemon. It takes about 10-12 minutes total to whittle him down.

If you are still having trouble try equiping armor that makes you resistant to fire damage. Hope that helps good luck!

................ If this works, you sir, are the MAN! XD. I was trying to use the mage army, I thought Magic would have been helpful, but when the Darkspawn came...yeah.... I will try this later tonight, but many thanks! :D

Scrapdaddy
11-11-2009, 02:13 AM
For a little more info, the 1st time thru I was level 20 and i tried the mages 1 time and then have not played them since, same goes for archers. Then I used the redcliff guys and it worked.
On the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time I used the method from my previous post. These last 3 times I was a level 25 rogue, I used shale and alistar as my frontline and wynne as my mage. I used the werewolves and templars for the fights with the generals and through the Fort. By the time I reached the archdemon that left me with 2 full 50 man armies. Just stand back and shoot with your crossbow while managing any dire situation that pops up. Should go pretty smooth - this may not be the best way to do this but it worked for me everytime.

Sandro Shai'tan
11-11-2009, 02:54 AM
I tried to access the armies at some point while I was in the Fort and I didnt see the choices for the arrmies anymore. So when I got to the dragon, I didnt even try to use them! They would have made that fight a whole lot easier, but I guess it felt hell awesome to finally beat the archdaemon with just my 4 guys though. I had the 2 warrior, mage healer (arcane warrior) and rogue archer in full plate. Fun group for most fights, can take alot of damage.

dpenguin
11-11-2009, 08:57 AM
To clarify a bit from my previous post, using the ballistas makes the fight incredibly easy. There's a ballista that can hit him from each position he moves to. As someone else mentioned, they only about 40-50 damage, but they cause the archdemon to roar, and if you fire every time you can, it causes him to go into a loop of roaring (won't do anything). Once you've whittled his health down all the way in his third form/position, you can stop firing and the final cutscene will play.

The other strategies that were listed work well if you don't want to be cheap, though.

Jemocasa
11-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Also with the ballistae, I used Leliana because I noticed that they would jam and she could fix them.

dablemont
11-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I also had problems on my first try, but eventually I got the tactics that work. Use a character with long range attacks (mage/archer) and then keep beating it until the dragon summons darkspawns (that's where I'd usually die all the time). The trick here is to summon your armies - in my case, I chose dwarf (not sure whether this works with the others) because what happens is - a few darkspawns will come in your direction, so get rid of those, but at the same time, go to nearest balista that could shoot in the direction of where the dragon is at the moment. The dwarf army will keep the darkspawns from getting to you (no darkspawn will ever come to you from that point onward, at least in my experience and I've done it three times now, Casual). All you have to do is keep shooting the archdemon with the ballista until his energy is depleted, in which you will have to go out of your way a bit to check his hp meter since you could be shooting forever and the battle never end. You are supposed to go to him once he is down, and that is it!

Harrison Drake
12-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Hope this all works! I just got my bumbum handed to me on the first try.

I too didn't realize I could use my armies. Tried pulling them up earlier in the fort and didn't have the option to use them so I assumed I was on my own for the final battle.

Never used my armies at all getting through the fort so it should make it pretty easy.

Magicman10893
12-03-2009, 08:58 PM
I used Allistar as the main tank, Morrigan to use offensive spells against Darkspawn (and heal since I made her a Spirit Healer before I met Wynne), Wynne to heal the party (also set her as an Arcane Warrior so she could wear armor), and my self as an Arcane Warrior Mage to wear heavy armor, use sword and shield, use offensive spells one after another (had Death Magic to resupply from the dead Darkspawn around me) and heal when Wynne couldn't. I had the Mage army to help with the fight and honestly forgot about calling more armies in once the Mages died. I and Allistar died once each and I had Wynne revive us both. Also I didn't really use the Ballistas because once I tried running up there I was alone and got pummeled by the Archdemon's fire breath.

Parallax Demon
12-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I used Allistar as the main tank, Morrigan to use offensive spells against Darkspawn (and heal since I made her a Spirit Healer before I met Wynne), Wynne to heal the party (also set her as an Arcane Warrior so she could wear armor), and my self as an Arcane Warrior Mage to wear heavy armor, use sword and shield, use offensive spells one after another (had Death Magic to resupply from the dead Darkspawn around me) and heal when Wynne couldn't. I had the Mage army to help with the fight and honestly forgot about calling more armies in once the Mages died. I and Allistar died once each and I had Wynne revive us both. Also I didn't really use the Ballistas because once I tried running up there I was alone and got pummeled by the Archdemon's fire breath.

The mage army is quite useless. I always get the werewolves. Summon them when the Darkspawn enters the battlefield, so they get busy with eachother, while I use the Ballistas.

Magicman10893
12-03-2009, 09:44 PM
The mage army is quite useless. I always get the werewolves. Summon them when the Darkspawn enters the battlefield, so they get busy with eachother, while I use the Ballistas.

I used the Mages because I hoped their magic would be useful because they could fight at a range and not rush into the damned dragon like other cannon-fodder warriors I encountered, but since there were only 12 of them and the horde of Darkspawn reinforcements tore them apart because they rushed us like a bunch of cannon-fodder warriors. The Mages did work for a while, but I would recommend having the Templars (if you picked them) or the Redcliffe army or Dwarves along with the Dalish archers OR Werewolves to add to the army of cannon fodder around you instead.

Tasty Empire
12-04-2009, 12:45 AM
All of these suggestions should work out well.

One thing to clarify though, the Archdemon's breath does spirit damage, not fire damage. So that's what you want to boost your resistance on.

Ferocious
12-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I've beaten the Archdemon 7/8 times and the last few, I finished the game without my party taken any injuries.... in all times my main character has never sustained an injury.

My very first time, I wasn't sure when I'd need to summon my allies.. so I let them stay put. I didn't even try to summon them for the Archdemon fight but realized the next time around, that I could and should to make it go quicker.

I was a mage. I'd freeze the archdemon with cone of cold (worked most of the time, don't try throwing a force field around it while you battle the darkspawn or it will backfire often-enough.. I tested it out).

The mages did some damage to the archdemon if the kept their distance. The werewolves and golems did more damage than any.

What I do now is... when I first enter, I summon the Dwarves (who also have Legion of the Dead along side them randomly).

If need be, use the redcliffe soldiers after that... I find Wynne, Shale, and my Mabari warhound work excellent vs the Dragon.. being both Wynne and my main character of my first playthrough are Spirit Healers and I set everyone to use health poultices or greater health poultices when falling below 25%... I set Wynne to heal people below 50% health and to group heal below 25%. I also set up for them to use greater or potent health poultices when below 10% but they RARELY get there and my main character never does... (I'm just using the Reaper's Vestment robes, but I also have the best ring, amulet, belt, helmet, shoes, and gloves my character can wear which give stat boosts amongst other things and I use the expensive staff from the Circle of Magi). Regardless, whether you are mage, warrior, or rogue.. adjust accordingly with gear. Leliana is really good too vs the dragon because I gave her pretty high constitution and her dexterity is very high... her strength is pretty good and her willpower is nice.

Regardless of who you use, the Dwarves can help take the Dragon down to 50%... I constantly threw up tempest, inferno, and the blizzard spells plus walking bomb onto the Archdemon and when fighting the Darkspawn. Cone of cold will instantly kill all grunts, so if you see a group of them, try to move your mage towards them and get a nice massive freeze in... or tempest will do the trick just fine... so does the one after it, but it's not necessary and probably not as smart a move because if you target a grunt it may be dead before your spell goes off and it seems to disappear.

I let shale and my dog rip the dragon apart up close... I also gave Wynne Arcane Warrior, so she automatically pulls out the spellweaver and goes to town. I could give her the Starfang, but there's no need. She also uses a pretty good shield, but not the best I have.... again not needed... she heals like crazy and I heal everyone like crazy.

I save the golems and werewolves for last. I usually have a bunch of werewolves and all the redcliffe soldiers left by the end of the fight regardless of difficulty. If you keep your party well-healed, it won't be that tough.

Also, if you happen to be a shapeshifter and the tree is maxed out, the swarm completely owns the darkspawn... but it's not needed, I've only used it in my last playthrough.. lol at the Marketplace in Denerim, I duked four Ogres at the same time and barely lost any mana in that form as my party was ordered to hold in a safe place.

I just wouldn't stick around the archdemon with the swarm, because a few good hits and you can lose a lot of mana quickly and even if u evade it manually, it still clocks in as getting hit sometimes.

Anyway, I hope some of those tips help. Even if you don't have the werewolves and/or golems.... you can still pull it off... just don't use any of your allies ahead of time, you shouldn't need them and try to save as much lyrium and health poultices as possible for the end fight. Also, standing right in front of the Dragon.. isn't smart. I'm talking about RIGHT up close in it's face, you will maybe get a hit or two in... then get knocked back, stunned, etc... although my Mage can stand there casting spells without getting interrupted by even the Archdemon most of the time, it still isn't the best tactic if you want to beat it within a reasonable amount of time.

darkspawnjbs
10-13-2011, 12:00 AM
You don't need a mage like Morigan. I beat the archdemon with the Warden, Ogren, Allister and Leleiana. And you don't even need Leleana.

Here are my tips:

Get the corruption helm, a helmet providing 75% spirit resistence. The archdemon's purple spew is spirit damage, not fire. If you don't have it, you can go to an earlier save point. You get it by defeating a darkspawn general in the Denerim Market district after the blight fight begins (after you choose to have a child with Morigan or decline her offer - that is when the blight battle starts).
Ogren has the sunder armor skill. It reduces the archdemon's defense and allows you to deal more damage. If you don't have Oghren, you can hack away with your main tank character.
The archdemon deals way more damage with direct melee attacks, so equip two of your fighters with bows and let your tank and Ogren or another character fight the archdemon while the other two fight at a distance with bows.
I would equip someone other than your tank with the corruption helm, as your tank is not as easy to kill quickly.
Use poultices. If you don't have a lot of them, you may need to go back to an earlier save point. Check your characters very frequently, as they can die very quickly. Oghren seems to die very, very quickly if you don't give him poulstices, so giving him the corruption helm and watching his health frequently is important.
Use the ballistas at the top of the steps at the beginning of the battle to deal some quick and easy damage before you go after the archdemon. Summon troops with the radial menu right when you start the fight to keep the archdemon off of you while you go up the steps and start firing the ballista
The hardest part is when the archdemon gets to half damage and sends the darkspawn after you. You probably need to have several of your characters still alive to protect your main tank from being totally swarmed. The corruption helm may help as well, and as soon as the darkspawn show up I give my main tank the corruption helm at that point. And here is a realy key. Use the radial menu to summon troops right when the darspawn show up. Maybe it's slightly before they show up when the archdemon is almost at half power. I forget the timing, but it may make a difference. I would try both scenarios. First I would try right when the darkspawn show up and on another game I would try right before the archdemon gets to half power before the darkspawn are summoned.
When the darkspawn are summoned fight like crazy, keep checking your characters and use poulstices frequently. You may need to run around a bit if the troops you summon from the radial menu don't seem to be coming to your aid or are not in position. Fight the darkspawn for a whille and then run behind your troops so they can engage the darkspawn.
Contrary to what some people say, there are a limited number of darkspawn that show up when the archdemon is at half power. He will summon more later when he is at quarter power, but they seemed to give me much less resistance. So you can kill all of the darkspawn that show up after the archdemon is at half power. After you do that, it will get much easier. In the game where I beat the archdemon, for some reason the darkspawn didn't fight me when the archdemon got to 25 percent. I killed them at the 50 percent damage point and they never came back at the 25 percent point, perhaps because I wasn't in there region to cause them to see me, I'm not sure.
Once you kill the darkspawn at half power, you may be able to just beat the archdemon at that point with just your main tank by equiping him or her with a bow and fighting from a distance, though it may take a long time to deal enough damage. But if you are low on poultices, you will take less damage fighting from a distance if you have the corruption helm. From a distance, the archdemon's purple spew only dealt me 16 damage rather than 46 damage when I didn't have the corruption helm.
When the archdemon is really low on power, I unequip the bow and equip a sword and enjoy the fun of just hacking him in close range. Killing him at a distance with the bow at the very end seems boring, so at least for the last bit of damage I use the sword.
Keep in mind that there are runes that provide additional damage to darkspawn, which can also be helpful if you go to an earlier save point. The elf vendor in Denerim Market has a grandmaster rune that I think provides +10 damage to darkspawn. The character on the frostback mountain who sells used wares also has one as well I believe.
The Juggernaut armor set provides some spirit resistance as well. I think there are also spirit balms that can help, but I didn't use any.
If you really want to go far back in the game, the old hermit man in the brazelian forest will give you a helmet that reduces spirit damage by 25%. You have to talk to him, then go kill the old oak tree, which is kind of evil, but since it is just a game, you can try that out if you are totally stuck and want to start from a much earlier point in the game.
If you kill Witherfang, you get Witherfang's pendant which provides 50% nature resistance. The darkspawn generals use a nature spell that is really damaging. I don't know if they use it in the final archdemon battle though, or just in the battles leading up to Fort Drakon. But that might help as well. I didn't have it when I beat the archdemon though.
Remember, you don't need a mage and you don't have to spam the ballista or do any other crazy stuff to beat the archdemon. Just sound strategy with the corruption helm and a reasonable number of poultices should do the trick eventually.
I took 10-15 tries to kill the archdemon. It helped to go back and get the corruption helm. I too was getting swarmed by the darkspawn. Just try to get to them where you have at least three of your party members alive and run behind the troops you summon with the radial menu after fighting the darkspawn for a while and you will eventually get there.

darkspawnjbs
10-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Are you playing the PC version? It may be easier than xbox. with xbox, I don't know if you can tell your fighters to use poultices at certain spots. You have to do it manually, so it may be much easier. I took 10 to 15 tries to beat the archdemon on the xbox. Also, you can't tell Wynne to automatically give people healing at set points, you have to do so manually I believe.

Netnabi4
10-31-2011, 03:59 PM
You can set them to do anything you want on xbox, just need to use custom tactics slots.