PDA

View Full Version : Dragonslayer Help

Harrison Drake
11-11-2009, 05:47 AM
I have searched everywhere and cannot find a way to beat the damned High Dragon to get this achievement (where you sound the gong after the Urn quest).

I am playing on casual and have all of my characters around level 12 and all with decent armour and weaponry. I cannot kill the damned dragon. I have tried several times and the best I have done is gotten it down to a little less than half of its health remaining.

Any tips people can give me? I'm using a rogue, Leliana, Morrigan and Alistair.

zzenigmaxzz
11-11-2009, 06:17 AM
you might need to wait a little longer till you get wynne(healer) but take control of morrigan and make sure she has the heal spell ... set everyones tactics to use a potion if they get below 25% and in the mean time you controlling morrigan use the heal spell to keep everyone alive ... also another tip might be to take out leliana in favor of shale .. equip her with a fire armor crystal and a ice weapon crystal

AzureHaseo
11-11-2009, 06:57 AM
i did it with warrior, shale (large fire crystal as armor), morrigan, and the red head woman as an archer at 15 with no problems just had morrigan heal anyone below 75% and cast ice at any dragon target.

ManekiNeko
11-11-2009, 07:19 AM
I did it as a mage, I had Leliana, Allistair and Wynne in my party, I don't suggest doing anything major with Leliana or Allistair because they're close-range fighters, when they died Wynne and I would stay in the same position and just turn aroudn whenever the dragon moved, whenever it looks like your health / mana is low, just switch characters, load them up and keep it going like that.

Elm
11-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Yea you should probably wait until you get a mage to heal your party

T i o u Z
11-11-2009, 08:26 AM
One answer : SHALE (DLC "The Stone Prisoner")

ManekiNeko
11-11-2009, 08:35 AM
One answer : SHALE (DLC "The Stone Prisoner")

Wish that were an option for me. Fucking glitch in the Stone Prisoner, can't get to Shale. But aye I reckon your best bet is either having Shale in your party and using him or do another game as a Mage and you can heal other players.

Jemocasa
11-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Or go back when you reach a higher level. That's what I did. I got my behind handed to me at 13th level when I first went there, but at 18th or so level I did the butt handing.

You can complete the quest and still go back later.

Harrison Drake
11-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone! I didn't know I could leave and come back to it later. Guess I'll go level some more and get Wynne and Shale. Then I will come back and hopefully kick that dragon's arse!

Thanks again to all who replied.

ponypo2001
11-11-2009, 03:41 PM
The dragon took out my tank (me),healer and rogue in quick succession at level 18 due to me not having my proper team up there (I was going for defile the ashes so didn't take Wynne or Leilana with me).This left Shale all on her own.She took out the last half of the dragons health and was never in danger.Best tank in the game bar none.Just use a poultice when you are at 50% health and you should be able to stand toe to toe all day.I love Shale :woop:

MooseAlmighty
11-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I did this with my characters at levels 11-12. We all died the first four times but then defeated it with all 4 characters surviving the fight!

The party was me (sword/shield tank warrior), Wynne (healer), Morrigan (boom!), and Leliana (archer). Most importanly check your tactics for each character. Change them to account for the fact that you only have one enemy to face. Don't waste a slot with "when surrounded by two or more enemies" etc. I never switched characters and let the AI tactics do their thing.

I used Taunt whenever the dragon made a move for the others while mostly using basic sword swings. Oh and healing poultices! I was continually knocked prone or shaken like a chew toy by the dragon. Wynne did nothing but heal and buff while stone armor on herself. Morrigan uses vulnerability and blizzard (and force field if needed). Lelianna fired shattering shots/crippling shots. Those two kept doing some stuns/freezes. It only paused the dragon for a moment at a time but that let more attacks hit.

One minor thing that may have helped is the other consumables you carry. the left trigger pauses the game, so just as the dragon arrived, I had everyone using lesser warmth balms for fire protection. Rock balm, quickness and awareness on my warrior to help him stick in there with the dragon. I had Lelianna use a stun poison but i honestly don't know if that works on her bow.

MooseAlmighty
11-11-2009, 04:47 PM
and shale is cool, but I haven't used him much since I am already a tank :( Not sure if two tanks and giving up something else is a good idea. Maybe I will try a mage next time and bring shale along

Scrapdaddy
11-11-2009, 05:16 PM
if nothing else works you can try the same tactics used for beating the archdemon listed in this post:
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189080
the only difference is that you wont have any armies to command and no ballista to shoot but the basic setup is the same. 2 warriors, a mage and a rogue with the auto heal tactic set up makes it pretty hard to die.

zzenigmaxzz
11-11-2009, 05:30 PM
the thing about coming back to him later is he gets harder as you level up more BUT you will be able to get some of the better equipment ... try to equip people with items that protect against fire damage (wades armors are a good start) and shale is the best tank since you can equip him with a fire crystal to give him so very nice fire defense

wizzlestick
11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
whenever it looks like your health / mana is low, just switch characters, load them up and keep it going like that.

You can also just setup some appropriate tactics so you don't have to micromanage healing/mana potions during those fights. Just keep the tactic top of the list (perhaps less than 50% hp or 10% mana) and it will get executed in good time. (and then just turn that rule off for normal fighting if you don't want to waste them)

Some of the other suggestions here are fine as well. There is nothing too terribly difficult about it if you have your characters setup decent and your tactics are ok.

1hellboy
11-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I did this early I had morg, alis, and leli and my guy a warrior. I failed first time but cause I didn't know what to expect also no health potions. So second time I go I get it to 75% my guy dies the a lil bit later alis so was left with mor and leli I had just thought morg heal cause I have her dps I was moving leli alot cause dragon chased her and with morg throw heal and freeZe I won after but I had to pause alot

Skullleader007
11-13-2009, 03:25 AM
Using the tactics page is the best bet for any team. Take the 5-10 mins to set it up properly and you will normally not have to ever touch it again. This way you can just main the healer regardless if it is your main character or not. The brawlers will brawl, archers pin down and stun and you can monitor the health without having a heart attack. Also you could bring an assassin and use weakness that helps alot also. But the best tank in the game is Shale by far. I wish that Shale would attack faster considering that it was chiseled down from being over 10' tall. But then that would really break the game.