PDA

View Full Version : I Must Say...

DaRealChrono v2
11-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Being a faithful Dragon Ball fan, and a faithful fighter fan, I was completely opposed to this game in every way. While I didn't contest this here or on the Burst Limit boards, I felt somewhat betrayed by some of the offerings in the game, namely SSJ3 Vegeta and Brolly. Not to mention the return to the "Tenkaichi" formula.

I wasn't going to buy this game. Some how or another my Dragon Ball fandom convinced me to do it anyways, and I must say I don't regret it. While it's still a bit rough, this game has a lot of potential to be a good fighter. The addition of cancels (I didn't play BT3, so they may have been there, but they damn sure weren't in BT2) alone shows me that they are trying to stray away from the dumb-downdness of the series. Though it would be nice to have more than 4 combos, the cancels do make it a bit more interesting and allows players who want to spend time learning a character to reap some benefits.

However, the story mode takes the cake. This is one of the most fleshed out story modes I've seen in a Dragon Ball fighting game. While it could have used a bit more presentation, as a fan that knows the story like the back of my hand, it doesn't bother me much. I actually felt over-whelmed when I first went to story mode, and that is a very satisfying feeling.

Though it will probably be beaten to death, the one thing that nearly ruins this game is the camera. I don't know what they were thinking, or how it got through the QC department, or who needs to be fired, but that camera is FAIL. Had it not been for my fandom, this game would have been ditched the same day I bought it.

All-in-all, I just wanted to praise the efforts of this game real quick. While I was initially against it and it's additions of the SSJ3 forms, it makes for a good Dragon Ball game and the forms are a nice distraction. Hopefully the sequels to both of this generations Dragon Ball games will fix their various problems, and we can get some really good stuff this generation.

xfaxdantex
11-12-2009, 09:53 AM
the camera dosent bother me, and i think the story dosent get old cos i like sitting and watching the story from the best cartoon show

seiferkai
11-12-2009, 10:56 AM
oh here we go another nit-picker of the so called Genras. and gotta pick out every flaw. the camara was fine sure sometimes the characters move in circles when looking at them in a weird angle but the whole pressing :abut::abut: to get behind them made it WIN plus due to the fact the characters glitch like that sometimes made some of the harder fights easy..

im a big Dragonball Fan and sure this isnt no tenkaichi budokai 3 but its damn close, burst limit had those frustrating cutscenes when you activate a powerup
and you HAD to watch them that pissed me off

but this is one of the best DBZ fighters to date..

xfaxdantex
11-12-2009, 11:53 AM
oh here we go another nit-picker of the so called Genras. and gotta pick out every flaw. the camara was fine sure sometimes the characters move in circles when looking at them in a weird angle but the whole pressing :abut::abut: to get behind them made it WIN plus due to the fact the characters glitch like that sometimes made some of the harder fights easy..

im a big Dragonball Fan and sure this isnt no tenkaichi budokai 3 but its damn close, burst limit had those frustrating cutscenes when you activate a powerup

nicely said and i didnt like burst limit lol

DaRealChrono v2
11-12-2009, 12:19 PM

I had a feeling at least one person was going to call me a "nit-picker." It seems to be the will of at least 70% of the Tenkaichi fans. The bottom line is that camera is horrible, there is no getting around that. There is no defense to it. Why would you want a game to glitch because it was too hard? Do you realize how dumb that sounds? A game developer should never substitute laziness with a workaround. Also, I'm not picking out flaws, it's blatantly obvious, and any gamer can see it. If I wanted to point out flaws, I could most certainly delve deeper into some of the things the game doesn't do well, but that wasn't the point of my post.

The point of my post was to praise the game for trying harder than the Budokai Tenkaichi series, please don't kid yourself. The Budokai Tenkaichi series is still terrible.

As far as the cut-scenes in Burst Limit are concerned, everyone knew about it. It was mentioned in several previews that the game was going to focus on presenting the story, and intruding the fight. It's no different than what it was in the original Budokai games when capsules were activated and so on. You can turn them off in multi-player anyways, so what are you complaining about? Not to mention that that extra tidbit you felt you had to mention is off-topic anyways. I won't be referring to Burst Limit anymore in this thread.

xfaxdantex
11-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I had a feeling at least one person was going to call me a "nit-picker." It seems to be the will of at least 70% of the Tenkaichi fans. The bottom line is that camera is horrible, there is no getting around that. There is no defense to it. Why would you want a game to glitch because it was too hard? Do you realize how dumb that sounds? A game developer should never substitute laziness with a workaround. Also, I'm not picking out flaws, it's blatantly obvious, and any gamer can see it. If I wanted to point out flaws, I could most certainly delve deeper into some of the things the game doesn't do well, but that wasn't the point of my post.

The point of my post was to praise the game for trying harder than the Budokai Tenkaichi series, please don't kid yourself. The Budokai Tenkaichi series is still terrible.

As far as the cut-scenes in Burst Limit are concerned, everyone knew about it. It was mentioned in several previews that the game was going to focus on presenting the story, and intruding the fight. It's no different than what it was in the original Budokai games when capsules were activated and so on. You can turn them off in multi-player anyways, so what are you complaining about? Not to mention that that extra tidbit you felt you had to mention is off-topic anyways. I won't be referring to Burst Limit anymore in this thread.

dude if the camera is that bad they dont play it, its that simple, and FYI tenkaichi is best dragonball z game there is

DaRealChrono v2
11-12-2009, 07:29 PM
dude if the camera is that bad they dont play it, its that simple, and FYI tenkaichi is best dragonball z game there is

And reasons like this are why we continue to get saturated Dragon Ball games instead of well thought out games. Have you even played the retail version?

xfaxdantex
11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
nah not yet and whats well thought out games? like halo?

DaRealChrono v2
11-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Should I really have to answer that?

seiferkai
11-13-2009, 07:01 AM
-In my knowledge about dbz games is that they always come in three's
the budokai series, the tenkaichi series and next to come will be the so called Raging blast series...first it was burst limit which pissed me off. Raging blast and a third coming soon the only reason tenkaichi was the best out there is because of the indepth story the fight engine and the mass amount of characters from every Dragonball series...they even added Lunch, Android 8, and hell goku Jr and Vegeta jr had a play in there....we have twice as much characters in Raging Blast than we did in Burst Limit and in the next game We will have it all. and it will be Awesome.

the game wasn't hard at all but the camara wasnt even an issue. the developers didnt even have to make a 2nd dbz game for the xbox due to the flunk of the first game, im just grateful that they even thought of doing it and improved it to boot. and they certainly was not lazy every game has its flaws every game has a work around..for every glitch that exist there is a countermeasure (a Exploit) if you will. and this game just happen to have one revolving the camara when going too high or too low your opponent

im not kidding myself..im seeing the truth..though the raging blast engine was better than tenkaichi it certanly does not raise the bar to the engine that was. in tenkaichi you had the freedom to fly where ever in a versus match in raging blast you can only be 40 feet from your opponent before your dragged along its like they put a invisible chain link on both players.

what i remember when capsules were activated in budokai there certainly was no cut scenes but the icons of the effects was by your portrait in burst limit you had to sit through 3 minute cut scenes explaining why they are mad..for example...Broly remember him? well in burst limit you could be charging up and resting...but noooo when your about to lay a hit on Broly you get a Cut scene about 2 mins long of him saying "Power Flowing and KAKAROTTTTTT!!!!"
seriously and that was online versus...i dont wanna sit through that online..bad enough in the story..problem being that though you had the option to turn it off many people did not use that to their advantage..and it drove me nuts. and its not off topic were still on the subject of dragonball.

:abut::bbut::xbut::ybut: you aint got to alibi lol (ok that was not part of the message but funny) wanna know another thing you can spell with a xbox controller :abut::rbbut::ybut: (YUM) lol

Monkie of Doom
11-13-2009, 07:38 AM
DaRealChrono is the only sensible poster ITT.

The camera in DB:RB is a complete mess. A homing dash doesn't help when you're backed up against the wall with the computer beating on you with combos that you cannot see.

The game is flawed, but it is still fun.

grumpiercloud
11-13-2009, 08:41 AM
....I still like all the games.
I'm actually completely happy with Raging Blast, Burst Limit AND Tenkaichi 3. But then again I guess everything makes me very happy :)
Now if only we could have 6 characters all fighting at once..... Hahaha

Celestial Being
11-13-2009, 10:26 AM
damn, im still waiting on my copy to get here gamefly sent it wednesday and it hasnt arrived yet. but i cant wait to play this. DBZ is the best anime ever!!!

xfaxdantex
11-13-2009, 10:50 AM
damn, im still waiting on my copy to get here gamefly sent it wednesday and it hasnt arrived yet. but i cant wait to play this. DBZ is the best anime ever!!!

ur lucky m8 ur mite get there 2 day i ordered mine from play.com and they sent it yesterday so i doubt i will be getting it today but post hasnt come yet lol

DaRealChrono v2
11-13-2009, 01:47 PM
-In my knowledge about dbz games is that they always come in three's
the budokai series, the tenkaichi series and next to come will be the so called Raging blast series...first it was burst limit which pissed me off. Raging blast and a third coming soon the only reason tenkaichi was the best out there is because of the indepth story the fight engine and the mass amount of characters from every Dragonball series...they even added Lunch, Android 8, and hell goku Jr and Vegeta jr had a play in there....we have twice as much characters in Raging Blast than we did in Burst Limit and in the next game We will have it all. and it will be Awesome.

the game wasn't hard at all but the camara wasnt even an issue. the developers didnt even have to make a 2nd dbz game for the xbox due to the flunk of the first game, im just grateful that they even thought of doing it and improved it to boot. and they certainly was not lazy every game has its flaws every game has a work around..for every glitch that exist there is a countermeasure (a Exploit) if you will. and this game just happen to have one revolving the camara when going too high or too low your opponent

im not kidding myself..im seeing the truth..though the raging blast engine was better than tenkaichi it certanly does not raise the bar to the engine that was. in tenkaichi you had the freedom to fly where ever in a versus match in raging blast you can only be 40 feet from your opponent before your dragged along its like they put a invisible chain link on both players.

what i remember when capsules were activated in budokai there certainly was no cut scenes but the icons of the effects was by your portrait in burst limit you had to sit through 3 minute cut scenes explaining why they are mad..for example...Broly remember him? well in burst limit you could be charging up and resting...but noooo when your about to lay a hit on Broly you get a Cut scene about 2 mins long of him saying "Power Flowing and KAKAROTTTTTT!!!!"
seriously and that was online versus...i dont wanna sit through that online..bad enough in the story..problem being that though you had the option to turn it off many people did not use that to their advantage..and it drove me nuts. and its not off topic were still on the subject of dragonball.

:abut::bbut::xbut::ybut: you aint got to alibi lol (ok that was not part of the message but funny) wanna know another thing you can spell with a xbox controller :abut::rbbut::ybut: (YUM) lol

*Sigh*

I really didn't want to continue to get off-topic with Burst Limit, but how did it "flunk." You do realize it was the top selling PS3 game for 3 months in Japan right? As far as the Drama scenes are concerned in online, maybe you should have set your search options. I will agree that during the story they were pretty bad, but Raging Blast still has a similar system, and I found that sometimes you can't skip them either.

Dragon Ball Z games have not always come in threes, they've come in two series' during the Playstation 2 generation. First there was Budokai, which did require a cut-scene for capsules such as Freeza's Space Ship, etc. Then there were was Budokai Tenkaichi, which didn't start until after the Budokai series ran it's course. They have two different developers as well.

I'm not sure how many times this has to be stated, but characters do not equal gameplay. I would rather have a 20 man roster with a in-depth fighting system any day over 60 or so characters. This is why Burst Limit received decent critical acclaim and Raging Blast hasn't even been reviewed. Everyone knows Raging Blast is fan fodder, and doesn't even take it seriously. Oh, and forms DO NOT count as characters, and I'm not sure how Spike gets away with inflating their numbers like that.

Burst Limit and Raging Blast are each respectively the next game in line for each series. Dimps develops Burst Limit (Budokai), and Spike develops Raging Blast (Budokai Tenkaichi).

I originally did not make this post to come back to this age old argument, but to praise the game for trying to be better than those catastrophes that were Budokai Tenkaichi. Your making it hard.

Here's a news flash by the way, rather it be Dimps or Spike developing the game, as long as Dragon Ball is in the title, it will be a lazily made game. Dragon Ball games never live up to the hype or the expectations, and neither developer ever give the fans what they want.

Cinderkin
11-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Its true that both developers don't give enough to the fans. I love Raging Blast, I love Burst Limit. I just love Dragon Ball, Z, GT. Look at my Avatar. Its Ghost Nappa. Anyway the camera in Raging Blast is lame, and it was the first thing that bothered me about the game. I was really excited to see the what if stories and to see some parts in the story that never seem to make it in the games (Future Trunks meeting Goku, Raditz meeting Goku, krillin, Bulma and Roshi). Just to name a few. The game is solid, and so is Burst Limit. Now if they would just come out with a DB game with Every Character From all 3 series including movies, and a good gameplay system then we would all be in Dragon Ball Heaven. It is really wishful thinking.

Spoof Ex
11-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Reading this thread made me sign up to this lovvvvvely website at last, but i gotta say that I've been playing Dragonball Games since I imported a region breaker and Dragonball Z: Legends on PS1 (The second best DB game to date imo) and DBGT Final Bout (One of the worst!). I have to say, as fun as BT3 is for it's vast character catalogue, Budokai 3 is still the best DB game to date. Burst limit is the best for technical gameplay (although drama pieces are frustrating if you forget to turn them off).

I am enjoying Raging Blast because they've really stacked out the features and have looked into a more interesting online mode. While it's no Budokai 3, it's not a bad fighting system, although the camera is annoying in enclosed spaces.

I hope they make a second burst limit and put a dragon world mode similar to that of Budokai 3.

(p.s. does everyone remember budokai 2's random board game dragon world mode? lol!)

NoMaD DiSTuRBeD
11-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't understand why the camera doesn't change automatically when you get stuck against a wall. Can't remember ever having that problem in the old Tenkaichi games.

I've enjoyed all of the DB fighting games but I'm still waiting on a Character Creator/RPG type Dragon Ball game. Maybe a Fable type open world where certain areas are free to explore. Meeting other fighters on and offline.

xfaxdantex
11-15-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't understand why the camera doesn't change automatically when you get stuck against a wall. Can't remember ever having that problem in the old Tenkaichi games.

I've enjoyed all of the DB fighting games but I'm still waiting on a Character Creator/RPG type Dragon Ball game. Maybe a Fable type open world where certain areas are free to explore. Meeting other fighters on and offline.

the online and offline thing would be so awesome but it wont happen:( and raging blast is more awesome then burst limit

The Extreme Icon
11-15-2009, 05:53 PM
It nearly did happen with Dragonball Online, it was rumoured to be on Xbox 360. But that seems to have died down now.

DaRealChrono v2
11-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Because the developers were lazy, lol.

If your looking for an RPG type Dragon Ball game, the DS game called Attack of the Saiyans came out on the 10th as well. It's a traditional type RPG. There's also Dragon Ball Online, but who knows when that will ever be coming out. If neither of those suit you, you'll have to go back to the old consoles for an RPG-esque experience.

Zombified Jake
11-15-2009, 06:12 PM
All the Dragon Ball online talk reminded me of this trailer, but I don't know anything else about it.

YouTube- Dragon Ball Online trailer 2

Devil Sora
11-16-2009, 04:43 AM
camera is your worse enemy in this. . . .I hate how you get beaten to the back of a wall and the camera decides to try and make it that much more difficult to see whats going on. . . kudos on that point

Hydrocannon
11-17-2009, 08:49 PM
First, it takes six ppl to beat vegeta:eek::confused: second lets get back on topic and third if they kept some of the controls from burst limit, i hate using the right stick just to do a power attack it's annoying especially compared to the other games who use the right stick mainly for the camera, that sucks in this game. So basicaly i agree with DaReal and if they make a third game i hope it's mostly like raging blast but with burstlimit minus the drama pieces

jedink
11-19-2009, 11:30 PM
I havnt played all of the story yet and i had compalints about it already, i am only on the 3rd stage of saiyan saga so far

I didnt like the buttons much, like the stupid rotate the joystick till it breaks,
also they never seem to make cell right..what is so hard of puting his different voices on the right form

so the camera and buttons are my concern about the game so far

budokai tenkaichi 2 on wii was the BEST dbz game, it had good gameplay and the controls were perfect..then they made number 3 and they completely changed the controls

I just hope the next game would b better...and more violent too..c'mon its not a baby show why make the game more kid friendly...show some blood