PDA

View Full Version : Should I place my new Xbox horizontally or vertically?

positivelyamazing
11-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Just traded in my old Xbox, (it was sounding like a chainsaw and generating enough heat to keep a family toasty), and put the money towards a spanking new Elite and I was wondering what is the best way to place my Xbox on my glass stand?

It gets plenty of room at the back for air ventilation and the room isn't dusty?

Any help much appreciated.

Teh BeZ
11-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Vertical :P just cause it looks cooler.

dont change it about with a disc inside though or you will carve a gorge out of the disc lol

dakisbac
11-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Horizontally for sure. The tray is kind of shitty so the disc moves around a little bit when it's vertical, plus it's much easier to damage the disc beyond repair, by knocking the console over. I'll take the condition of my games over "looking cool" any day

xEndriux
11-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I have it horizzontaly
I think is the best for the disc and ventilation

Q ipoddy Q
11-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Aslong as its well ventelated and you don't move it with a disc inside you can put it however you like

Starstrukk X360A
11-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I have it horizontally, only because there's no room to place it vertically.

I'd place it vertically though, to be honest.

Revolver
11-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Since my Xbox is a rare breed of consoles that hasn't broken down on me ever since launch day, I have to admit that I have it vertically only because I put a skin on it and want to display it right.
The only downside of that is that the disc tray will sometimes jam and so I gotta turn it 45 degrees so it'll open but I don't change discs every 10 minutes so it's not something that greatly affects me. ;)

SeanCampbello
11-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Lay it down its the best way for disc to not get messed up

and it you stand it up there is a chance it could be knocked over and get broke...

Trust me my launch 360 i stood up and it got knocked over and messed up i was sad haha

davhth4
11-12-2009, 05:22 PM
I was told by many video game retailers that if you keep your ps2 (yes it was my 2 because that first console i burned out) or xbox 360 (i asked which way to place it) vertical thenthey have a chance of burning out quicker and can ruin the discs and the disc tray easier.

So I keep my horizontal and I recomend to all my friends to do same with every console to be safe.

Moblisan
11-12-2009, 05:28 PM
I stand mine vertically, mostly because it saves on space. I will admit that it is easily knocked over. I have noticed it doesn't take much at all to send this thing spiraling to its doom. Especially if you have kids! its mostly just a matter of opinion tho. Even though mine has fallen over. It have not noticed any changes in its behavior. Good thing i wasn't playing a disc at the time or the disc may have been damaged.

MasterKingz
11-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Horizontal duh

davhth4
11-12-2009, 07:24 PM
I stand mine vertically, mostly because it saves on space. I will admit that it is easily knocked over. I have noticed it doesn't take much at all to send this thing spiraling to its doom. Especially if you have kids! its mostly just a matter of opinion tho. Even though mine has fallen over. It have not noticed any changes in its behavior. Good thing i wasn't playing a disc at the time or the disc may have been damaged.

You say it gets knocked over? You can buy a stand thing that keeps it from falling over realy. I think anyway. Or just place on its side because plus its falling over that will be damaging your xbox anyway.

Muhnamana
11-12-2009, 07:42 PM
The one and only was has to horizontal. I'm anal about alot of things and well when your Blur-ray player and cable box sit horizontal, what the hell sit every thing horizontal....hahaha!

Tatanko
11-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Horizontal, always. I've seen too many of my friends ruin game discs just by having their consoles vertical...their consoles were never dropped or moved.

Elit3Ski11s
11-12-2009, 08:22 PM
----------------------------> this way only

Muzzins
11-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Horizontally...I once knocked it over from vertical with guitar hero 2 in it. Never played that game again...

Jeff.Spectre
11-12-2009, 10:21 PM
does anyone else here appreciate the irony that it's a landslide towards horizontal?

PyreBall
11-12-2009, 10:26 PM
I also have mine horizontal. I don't want it falling over and damaging the console or the discs. Ironically I have a game/console rack that's designed to be able to steadily hold the console vertically as well as horizontal. :P

Kaiyo
11-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Horizontally, thats a basic answer. Better ventilation and does not fall down like the vertical position.

xtye
11-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Lay it flat if you want your discs to come out of it without a perfect ring...

Norman Coxwell
11-13-2009, 12:42 AM
Here's a hint: If it falls total clusterfuck. Your game, gone. 360, destroyed. If you want to keep your 360 for a significant amount of time (maybe longer than like a week) lie it horizontal.

progman32
11-13-2009, 06:39 AM
the age old debate...and it always leans towards horizontal. :drunk

camautobot
11-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Horizontally. That way it wont get knocked over. That would suck if it falls over.

smudgedhorizon
11-13-2009, 08:43 AM
I go one step further an have mine horizontal, on 4 little DIY legs that raise it around 3 inches off the floor for maximum ventilation :p

I can have 12+ hour straight gaming sessions and it isn't even warm to touch so I figure it must help (or it likes having legs? lmao)

12ozkrue
11-13-2009, 08:51 AM
i have mine secured standing vertically, but is it just a myth that it affects the discs in a bad manner or? i've had mine for over a year and never had a single problem with anything

RuYi
11-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Vertical, for optimal ventilation. When it's turned off, I put a cover over it to protect it from any incoming dust. Stands on a really stable (read: stuffed) cupboard so even if a bull would run into it, it wouldn't move.
I never had any scratches on my discs, and I check them each time when I start and stop playing a game.

Jethrow
11-13-2009, 02:44 PM
i went through 6 360s vertical

now i'm going horizontal with little legs under it to boost it up

AntagonisticChaos
11-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I go one step further an have mine horizontal, on 4 little DIY legs that raise it around 3 inches off the floor for maximum ventilation :p

I can have 12+ hour straight gaming sessions and it isn't even warm to touch so I figure it must help (or it likes having legs? lmao)

That's a good idea (the DIY legs). I should have thought of that! I'm paranoid about mine over-heating as my brother has gone through 3 XBoxes. Out of interest what did you (or anyone else) make the legs out of?

smudgedhorizon
11-13-2009, 04:57 PM
You know Games Workshop? (the model company) I use four of those paint pots (one on each corner) you could use blue tac to secure them I suppose, but my 360 sits on them really well without, and they cover no air holes or anything. I suppose you could use anything really, it just means my elite has 360 degree ventilation

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jgFyiqPJL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

RhiN85
11-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Mine's horizontal, sitting on old Megadrive game boxes (anyone remember the megadrive?) so it gets enough ventilation - it's in a cabinet, but I always have both the doors open if it is switched on.

AntagonisticChaos
11-13-2009, 06:45 PM
You know Games Workshop? (the model company) I use four of those paint pots (one on each corner) you could use blue tac to secure them I suppose, but my 360 sits on them really well without, and they cover no air holes or anything. I suppose you could use anything really, it just means my elite has 360 degree ventilation.
Ah right cool, I think I have some of those paint pots kicking about somewhere. I'll give it a good. Thanks :)

bapae
11-13-2009, 06:49 PM
horazontally much safer for the disk and console. Unless you dont care for your games or console that either onre will work just fine.

gamerboi41277
11-14-2009, 02:56 PM
I recommend horizontal.

Myself I am real clumsy and I tried putting it vertical at first for like a day but like my disc would come flying out of the tray and going flying and also I would drop it when it was all sideways.

It is just safer horizontal and since I am an old school gamer it sort of reminds me a little of my old NES from back in the day. (similar color and square shape :) )

http://chemgod.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/nes.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Xbox360_white_HDMI_203W_front_horizontal.jpg/800px-Xbox360_white_HDMI_203W_front_horizontal.jpg

Poida
11-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Makes more sense to keep it horizontal, only my PS2 would I ever put vertical.
Id rather be more careful with my Xbox.

Phantom2799
11-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Horizontal, by far. 1: You have less of a chance of accidentally knocking it over, and not only wrecking the system, but the game inside...aka getting the "Ring of Death" on your game, making it unreadable...Also, you'll have less of a chance of the disc not accidentally fully being IN the disc tray, before you close it to PLAY said game...which after it starts spinning, will also give you the "Ring of Death". 2: It has better ventilation on it's side, instead of upright, and if you think it doesn't, you can easily put something underneith it, giving it leverage to breath. 3: It's really a matter of opinion, or lack of space..I have plenty of space, so I could easily have it vertical OR horizontal, but I choose to have it horizontal due to the fact of the entertainment center it is in, my 3 cats love to get on and mess around with, so I'm rather worried it will get knocked off. But I hope this helps somewhat. :uzi:

Nerdz0r
11-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Horizontal like all my other consoles have been. Personally vertical is too dangerous.

TakahashiDemon
11-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Have it sitting horizontally, it best for it's fans, and disc, but if you do go to moving it, make sure there's no disc in there, I know of this because of someone moving someone's xbox 360 with SFIV in it, SFIV was dead after that, but then again it could be because they actually slammed the 360 down.. you shouldn't even do that if the console has no disc in it, it's not good for it either.

littlemissymoo
11-23-2009, 01:31 AM
horizontal seems to be the popular choice :)

Soilydude
11-23-2009, 01:58 AM
I've had my XBox for almost 2 years now and it's stood vertically since the day I got it, my discs are all fine and I've never had any trouble of any sort at all with it. =]

And for those of you knocking it over when it's vertical: Stop doing roundhouse kicks in your living room! xP

Jdm
11-23-2009, 06:40 AM
It doesn't matter which way you position your 360. Either way, you'll be blocking a form of ventilation. That is unless you have found a way around it, like some of you have done. ;)

Position it horizontally and you heat up the bottom end where the motherboard is placed. Position it vertically and that will of course block the bottom vent.

I personally have most of my 360s positioned vertically and one horizontally. Nothing bad has occurred, so lets knock on wood. ;)

Rebmob
11-23-2009, 06:46 AM
It doesn't matter which way you position your 360. Either way, you'll be blocking a form of ventilation. That is unless you have found a way around it, like some of you have done. ;)

Position it horizontally and you heat up the bottom end where the motherboard is placed. Position it vertically and that will of course block the bottom vent.

I personally have most of my 360s positioned vertically and one horizontally. Nothing bad has occurred, so lets knock on wood. ;)

Horizontal, kthxpls?

Here are some photos I just took and uploaded of my method that ensures max ventilation. I don't block any of the ventilation off! :)

http://twitpic.com/photos/Rebmob

McMan
11-23-2009, 06:49 AM
horizontally

pearl-drum-man
11-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Vertical is most convenient for my setup, so thats how it is. By doing so I am able to get it much better ventilation than if I put it horitzontally in my entertainment unit. Never a single disc issue, however it is absolutely true that if you even bump it with a disc in it you can nuke the disc, and you do have to be sure it is properly seated in the try when closing.

Flapjack Ninja
11-27-2009, 11:04 PM
This should be made into a poll question! Mine is vertical. The hard-drive looks weird if the Xbox is horizontal...as do the re-charge cables!