PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong with Me?

Sasquash Pie
11-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Why don't I like this game? I'd like to say first of all that this is a good game. I can't find anything wrong with it. I played (and loved, still my favorite game series) BG I and II (the PC, not the console versions), KotoR and Mass Effect. I loved all of these, and I can't figure out what really seperates them from this game. I think part of the problem might be that I've seen it all before. Every other BioWare game I've played, when I get a new team member, I immediatly try to find out everything I can about them. I look at their skills, talk to them about their pasts, and so on. I just got Zevran in DA, and honestly, I don't care. I feel like talking to Zevran would just be a chore. Am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else having this problem? At this point, I'm tempted to sell it. With Baldur's Gate, I had to force myself to do only one more quest before turning off the computer. With this game, I have to force myself to do one quest before turning off my xbox.

MasterJon08
11-13-2009, 11:49 PM
The same thing happens to me, but only after I play for long periods of time. I'd say just take a break, but I guess you are having trouble simply playing it.

Really dunno what to say. There's really nothing that can help you out if you genuinely are uninterested. I guess you should either sell it, or come back to it some other time.

Murrots
11-14-2009, 12:19 AM
I like this game but don't really care for all the bullshit talking at camp to unlock romance and side quests. I wish they would leave out romance acvs in the next game.

Ionus
11-14-2009, 01:13 AM
I can see your point I guess. Most of this type of game has 'been there seen it' stuff.

I really enjoyed playing all the Origin Quests, that for me has been one of the best parts of the game.

I played the Human Noble story a couple of time (about 3) just trying to get my character right (as there is no respect option). I found it dull the 3rd time, because it is exactly the same story.

That is the problem with a linear story, all the characters start to 'feel' the same after a couple of plays.

But it is a pretty fun game. So give it a chance, try playing a class you normally would not play to give it a fresh feel. I really liked the Dwarf Noble as a Berserker/Reaver- dual weapons expert, and poison expert.

That is fun :) then just don't worry about character interaction with the party... cause you just don't care that much about the other races :p

Sasquash Pie
11-14-2009, 01:49 AM
I liked the concept of the origins when I first heard about it, and I played the Human Noble origin. For people who have played the game multiple times, does the origin really do anything? If I play the game as a dwarf commoner warrior, and then as a dwarf noble warrior, will it feel like a different game in anything more than a slight sense? I mean I saw the difference in Mass Effect between choosing the Earthborn and Spacer backgrounds, while it was cool to see that affect certain things, it wasn't a gamechanger. Is it different in Dragon Age?

Ionus
11-14-2009, 09:35 AM
I liked the concept of the origins when I first heard about it, and I played the Human Noble origin. For people who have played the game multiple times, does the origin really do anything? If I play the game as a dwarf commoner warrior, and then as a dwarf noble warrior, will it feel like a different game in anything more than a slight sense? I mean I saw the difference in Mass Effect between choosing the Earthborn and Spacer backgrounds, while it was cool to see that affect certain things, it wasn't a gamechanger. Is it different in Dragon Age?

I don't know about as a dwarf warrior for both, But I did play a warrior as the dwarf noble, then as a dwarf commoner rogue... I felt there was a fairly large difference between the two plays, well until you get to the core game that is, then it is all the same pretty much.

when_vegans_attack
11-15-2009, 06:15 PM

The core game doesn't change much - some dialogue options become available or are modified. For instance, if you're an Elf (Dalish or City) many humans will call you "knife ears" or "thin legs", you'll also get the oportunity to respond to them harshly or try and make them be more understanding. When a Dwarf meets an elf you'll also (usually) get unique dialogue choices (Zevran will say "Shall we engage in stereotypical Dwarf-Elf banter?") Those are the sort of thing that will change - not the overall story or characters.

I really didn't like it much at first either (I still don't think the premise is particularly interesting.) I found ME engrossing because I needed to find out what happened next - the plot twists, characters, and the world itself made me want to see everything I could. When the premise itself isn't new or interesting then the rest of the game falls apart (at least for me.) Nothing really changes in DA:O Loghain is evil and the archdemon is trying to kill everything (nothing near what Sovereign and Saren brought to ME.) However, while playing the game I did find many good moments, particularly the Broodmother section and many of the sidequests. The game has a great sense of humor and laughs at itself much of the time (see the Zevran quote above) and if you can get past the stereotypical nature of the central story arc the game is quite good.

ApatheticChaos
11-15-2009, 07:18 PM
You'd be surprised at how many small dialogue changes there are based on origin, if you pay attention to every choice and listen carefully.

The GunOfTheWest
11-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I was really looking forward to this after belatedly finding out about it. Took a little to get used to, but I was switched off quite early by the game's punishing nature. The lack of respec options has really got to me.

My character is gimped, and the only way to change it is to restart. I have no motivation to go through all that I did again, as I did it once, yet have no wish to try another character, as Rogues are what I always play as, and I want to do the playthrough as a rogue.

I don't see why the inclusion of a respec option would have damaged the integrity of the game. I enjoy experimenting with these games, finding out what works. Having to experiment over several different playthroughs is not fun though. One playthrough is time consuming, the thought of doing several simultaneously just to experiment is off putting to the extreme. All my enthusiasm for this game has gone.

Darth Cuda
11-16-2009, 01:56 AM
Is there really a point to this thread?

MADasaHatter
11-16-2009, 02:56 AM
there is

and what I feel matches most of the comments here

I'm really trying to like it but once Assassin's Creed 2 drops, this game is on the back burner, maybe indefinately

Sarcasticgamer.com has a great article on the aspects of this game and why most critic reviews (9.0 from what I've seen) are wrong. It deals with lazy reviewers building on the best console version of the game (the PC being the best) and lying about its downfalls regarding the console versions.

The PC looks and plays so superior to the console versions it's ridiculous.

Read up
http://sarcasticgamer.com/wp/index.php/2009/11/review-of-the-reviews-of-dragon-age-origins.html

Devil Sora
11-16-2009, 04:24 AM
I feel that the game is broken with how conversations are panned out. . . . like I know I've gone around this board and said "Leliana is a bitch" BUT its only because nobody can answer my question about what I'M doing wrong. . . other than that I'm loving the game I think mainly its just your type of mood. Keep the game and in a few months you'll be glad you still have it