PDA

View Full Version : Did EA get their grubby paws into bioware this time?

Jeff.Spectre
11-14-2009, 01:27 PM
i have played 4 bioware epics in my time - neverwinter nights, KOTOR, mass effect and dragon age. each one fucking awesomer and awesomer, bioware indeed know how to make an epic.
But (yes it is a but) it seems that in dragon age they have made various "cash-ins" with the DLC, making you pay so you can have a place to put your items that you don't want to sell or drop seems a little.....evil to me.
i've never seen bioware do this so i'm guessing it was EA's idea to screw us lightly over.
anyone else have any thoughts on this? or even better some actual facts (since i'm basing this on sand and gravel, as is the morons way :P)

G315T
11-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, I'm not 100% sure how it works, but Bioware obviously had to make the DLC. EA may not have helped plan it or code it, but their publishing contract could easily have included "... and will have X number of downloads available at launch and Y downloads available over time."

So while Bioware might seem the victim being contractually obligated to put stuff like this out, they DID sign the contract and take EA's money.

I could have done the game without a place to store my junk, but I find Shale is my favorite tank character.

Also, DLC and microtransactions are really a new phenomenon. Mass effect was made when DLC was burgeoning as a real money grab for publishers, DA is the first Bioware game in a time when DLC is being viewed as THE way to make money from a game. I Expect ME2 will be littered with DLC early and often as well.

Exhausted Dad
11-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I know what you mean, while I understand The Stone Prisoner, Its actually a very cool incentive to buy a new copy. (The way a lot of these companies are complaining about used game sales instead of trying to find a wayto put a stop to it give us a reason to buy the new game)
That being said I do find it a little disheartening finding DLC(you have to buy) in a game that I bought on release day. I almost wish they would have waited a month before they put it out, I'm being sarcastic but do you know what I mean? I just paid $65 for this game, no thats not right $70 with Wardens Keep.
But what can you do, I love Bioware, and they are one of the very few companies that I buy games new from. Might as well just go on and get over it, this is the way of the future.

SpinelesS
11-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I liked the Stone Prisoner DLC, and how it came with the game.

Dont get me wrong, I hate downloading large files, But I can't help but feel that game companies loose alot of their profit thanks to preowned games sales and this way the people who buy a preowned copy are forced to pay extra if they want stone prisoner, while those who buy new, get it free.

I didnt like the story behind Warden's Keep however...

The story as I heard It:
The game was finished but console game sale was delayed to wait for PC version so they could be released at the same time, and it was during this period that the DLC was made.

Problem with that story is that there is a character in the game pimping out the DLC, and he was there before downloading any updates etc, so he was on the disc that came with the game.

G315T
11-14-2009, 04:20 PM
The whole "After-Market Sale" issue is bullshit, btw.

Game companies don't lose anything by having the games being sold second-hand. They get their money when people buy the game new, that's all commerce dictates they deserve. GM doesn't get a cut when you buy one of their used cars off another lot.

I do not blame them for using this as a method of increasing and ensuring the profit margin of the game, but blaming second-hand sales is just an excuse. It's actually kind of a shame that they can't just say, "Well, because we want more money out of it." in a world where cash is king and the law generally allows us to obtain it by any means anyone else is willing to pay for it. Instead, we get angry with them.

TwistedFate
11-14-2009, 04:38 PM
The whole "After-Market Sale" issue is bullshit, btw.

Game companies don't lose anything by having the games being sold second-hand. They get their money when people buy the game new, that's all commerce dictates they deserve. GM doesn't get a cut when you buy one of their used cars off another lot.

Really? I would say not getting money when someone buys your game is losing something.

Let's look at an extreme example. Someone buys the game new, plays it and sells it back. Another person buys it used plays and sells it back. Another person buys it used plays and sells it back. Another person buys it used plays and sells it back. That's 4 sales, but only one goes to the original maker. That's losing potential profits any way you do the math. There is absolutely no way you can convince that the profits from 1 game are the same as the profits from 4 games. It's only not losing money if the people buying used would not have bought new, regardless. If you lose a sale of a new product to a sale of a used product, you have lost money.

G315T
11-14-2009, 05:08 PM
No, you haven't. Losing money suggests it was yours to have to begin with, that's not how ANY other part of the economy works. Goods are priced as is required by cost of production and based on profits from the original sale. Nothing you can buy in a free market economy comes tagged with secondary-buyer producer-profit-protection.

Using words like "deserve" and "loss" are a TOTAL fallacy to the argument. That they'd like to make more money is totally fine, but it should be framed that way instead of trying to villify second hand buyers and sellers.

Rolyatkcinmai
11-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Bioware stated it was their decision to do it, not EA's. Stop hating on EA, it's not even fashionable anymore. Go hate on Activision.

TwistedFate
11-14-2009, 05:55 PM
No, you haven't. Losing money suggests it was yours to have to begin with, that's not how ANY other part of the economy works. Goods are priced as is required by cost of production and based on profits from the original sale. Nothing you can buy in a free market economy comes tagged with secondary-buyer producer-profit-protection.

You are just skating by on semantics of definition here and totally losing sight the of the "potential" that is usually tacked on when discussing this issue. You can argue that the economy doesn't work that way, but every profit making company in the world deals with losing potential profits everyday.

EDIT: You know what, forget it. You are arguing on the semantics of terminology, and I have better things to do. Call it what you want, lost potential profits or make more damn money, it's the same thing.

True Marvellous
11-14-2009, 06:46 PM
The Wardens Keep Dlc is a series of quest and is marketed as such.

Way some people harp on there saying here buy this DLC you get a storage box.

There's nothing in this game you really need to store so quite why its so important I don't rightly know.