PDA

View Full Version : console war

snafegeeza
03-01-2006, 04:51 AM
Ive heard lots of rumors about the ps3 most of them bad, like only being able to play a game on one ps3 only, £500 for the console, expensive games because of the blu-ray disks. But i cant help thinking that surely it will still be very popular due to the playstation following. The 360 is an awsome machine and i dont know how the ps3 can better it apart from the games it releases. Who will win the console war, it is somthing that i find fascinating because mr gates has already hinted at releasing a seperate blu ray player if he feels sony is coming out on top and im sure sony have somthing up their sleeves too. I personally think that the 360 will win it just because ive been very impressed by their machine so far but until the ps3 comes out, you just never know. What do ya think?

Whats with the japs shunning the 360 too, just because its not japanese made. no doubt the ps3 will win the war in japan.

thieflordgamer
03-01-2006, 04:55 AM
for me, i just need 2 wait and c what the controller is like, if it works well with games, and mainly, the quality of the games. games make a console. mgs 4 looks awesome, even if snake is a geezer. i havent held 1, but the boomerang style controller looks uncomfortable 2 me. my problem with sony is no innovation. microsoft did so much good with the xbox guide button, and xbox live is the best way 2 play games with ur friends as far as im concerned.

graf1k
03-01-2006, 05:04 AM
I wouldn't put that much stock in that rumor that a game will only play in one PS3 because that would kill off the ability of people to resell games, and while that would be good for devs and publishers, it would at the same time slaughter the software sales market. Not many people are going to buy a $60-70 game if they know they can't sell it it again when they are done with it.

As for the rest, I would count on $500 for a system in the US and I guess the markup in the UK would probably be to £500. The games will be expensive because of the higher development cost, but I wouldn't expect to see PS3 games on blu-ray discs until they need that much space. Blu-Ray players can play DVDs too I'm pretty sure, so not until a game needs more than 9.4GB will we see blu-ray disc games. Sony probably will win in Japan although if I were a betting man, I'd be betting on MS this round. Sony as a company is on the ropes right now and the only thing holding it up is the PS2. Every other division, including their movie studios, are losing money or just breaking even.

If MS really wanted to kill the console war before it starts, they'd either buy or sign exclusivity deals with Square Enix and try to get MGS4 on 360 (if they do that, I have no reason to get a PS3 anytime soon). That would flip the situation in Japan on its head and would only help things in the US and Europe.

thieflordgamer
03-01-2006, 05:17 AM
yes, im definitely getting ps3 if they have a sequel 2 kingdom hearts 2. and i need mgs4, and a god of war sequel would b awesome 2.

snafegeeza
03-01-2006, 05:35 AM
The artical I read seemed pretty certain about the one game on one console issue. They said that developers and publishers were losing millions every year and this step has been put in place to combat this. may end up killing them if its true.

The HD-DVD's the 360 currently uses hold 30GB while Blue-ray holds 50GB. Standard dvds hold 9GB so im pretty sure they will be relasing games straight on to the blu-ray disks straight away. The ps3 will be launched just after the first set of blu ray players and this will make the ps3 the cheapest available blu ray player which could be its only saving grace.

The 360's live service will beat sonys hands down though im pretty sure of that.

I would back the 360 to win the war because sony are struggling a little and the live service including the live arcade are fantastic a lot better than I was expecting.

The USA and Europe should not buy the ps3 because its japanese, thats what the japs are doing to the 360 at the moment.

Winwood
03-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Team Xbox had a good article a while ago

http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/1481/PlayStation-Network-An-Xbox-Live-Killer/p1/

IMHO, Sony will get a large market share in the next generation just from PS2 owners switching over and accepting it because it's the next Playstation.

The actual size of the disk won't be a huge problem unless people are too lazy to switch disks because that's a system that seems to work well in the PC market. Games came on a couple of Cd's and only switched to DVD's when they were widely used and the cost had dropped. Don't put too much faith in the formats ;D

Hopefully Micosoft has something up it's sleeves to steal a larger market share.

graf1k
03-01-2006, 06:43 AM
The artical I read seemed pretty certain about the one game on one console issue. They said that developers and publishers were losing millions every year and this step has been put in place to combat this. may end up killing them if its true.

The HD-DVD's the 360 currently uses hold 30GB while Blue-ray holds 50GB. Standard dvds hold 9GB so im pretty sure they will be relasing games straight on to the blu-ray disks straight away. The ps3 will be launched just after the first set of blu ray players and this will make the ps3 the cheapest available blu ray player which could be its only saving grace.

The 360's live service will beat sonys hands down though im pretty sure of that.

I would back the 360 to win the war because sony are struggling a little and the live service including the live arcade are fantastic a lot better than I was expecting.

The USA and Europe should not buy the ps3 because its japanese, thats what the japs are doing to the 360 at the moment.

Considering Oblivion can fit on a DVD, I wouldn't expect Blu-Ray to be needed right away. Quake 4 takes up something like 2.7GB and F.E.A.R. is about 4.5GB. Unless devs put a LOT of 720p cutscenes on the discs, there is no need for Blu-Ray for a least a couple years for games. And with graphics getting as good as they are and what they will be with the PS3 and 360, cutscenes shouldn't really be necessary. It can all be done in-game.

I know the article you mean. I read it over on CAG a while back. I still say they won't do it becase A) it would REALLY piss off the retail sector because EB and Gamestop pretty much live off of the sale of used games. If Sony takes that away from them, they may not be willing to play so many games that companies like to play (i.e. "You want to stock God of War? Your going to have to take X amount of [insert shitty game title] per copy of GOW") and B) Like I said, it will cannibalize software sales overnight. Rentals will skyrockets, sales of new games will go down drastically, and making new IP will be an even bigger gamble than it already is.

If Sony does this, PS3 is dead in the water, and more than a couple devs may go down with the ship. The bad news is MS is heading this way too eventually. They've made no secret that they like the idea of the broadband delivery to HDD model, and if you think they are going to let you trade that download once your done with it, think again. It'll be like XBLA but with full games. But thats way in the future. 360 doesn't have the HDD capacity and frankly the United States doesn't have the infrastructure to handle it right now.

DarkLif3
03-01-2006, 06:54 AM
Wow nice read guys. I'm not typing that much but I can say that I will own all 3 consoles. 1 down, 2 to go. ;D

Fanboy of games, not consoles.

scoobydiesel
03-01-2006, 07:47 AM
flippin fanboys....and raciests.....

I dont knwo ill buy all i dont care i like games so i will play games

LOST
03-01-2006, 03:17 PM
flippin fanboys....and raciests.....

I dont knwo ill buy all i dont care i like games so i will play games
i second that. Games, are games. wether it's PS3, or 360, or revolution.

BucklingLeader
03-01-2006, 03:35 PM
im getting all 3 consoles, regardless of what people say,

and as soon as i saw that Killzone 2 trailer for the PS3 from E3 last year, i was totally amazed at how good it looked, i dont care if your a sony fanboy, nintendo fanboy, or microsoft fanboy, you will be impressed by watching it

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4002239370866277245

graf1k
03-01-2006, 03:42 PM
I agree that video was damn impressive. Until people started asking if it was real time and running in engine. Then Sony started doing the PR dance of "well, it was pre-recorder but it's indicative of how the game will look". I'm not saying the PS3 will look like ass (I'm going to get one regardless if MGS4 is an exclusive because I'm an MGS whore) but that definitely brought my excitement level down more than a few notches. I can't wait for May just see what an actual PS3 game running in real time on final or near final hardware, looks like.

UraMallas
03-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Here's a cute lil' read on the next-gen formats:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/691/691408p1.html

And some more food for thought:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6145076.html

graf1k
03-02-2006, 03:55 AM
Whats even worse than that to me is that it goes for PCs as well, except PCs will apparently have to be HDMI, period. No DVI if you want HD from your Blu-Ray drive or HD-DVD drive.

SpideR NY
03-02-2006, 04:17 AM
I probally will get a Rev if they release a ton of old games for download and its cheap. ( shoot I spent over 100 on nes and games last year lol). I wount buy another system for a while though, I'm cool with the 360 for now and I love XBL.

Gprime
03-02-2006, 06:22 AM
The online system (Live) for Xbox and 360 has corrupted my soul, I dont think sony's online service can offer what Microsoft has done for me... but I haven't played/seen how it works so I wont judge it just yet. Ppl that have a 360 wont want to go over to ps3 online because of all the hard time they spent getting up their gamerscore (unless ur hardcore and can manage both). Hopefully sony comes up with somehting good .Recently I read that Square-Enix might make the FF series on both Ps3 and 360 (hopefully they make the smart decision ;D) As for the revolution, the only thing I like about it is that you can download older games, which seems pretty cool (lets just hope the games rnt expensive).

GhostFalcon3
01-15-2010, 04:53 PM
yeah PS3 online dosent compare to Xbox Live

ReignerRuler
01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Wow! You posted in a 4 year old thread :/

Come to think of it though, so have i...

GhostFalcon3
01-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Wow! You posted in a 4 year old thread :/

yeah i always wanted to do it:p

AltruismIsDead
01-15-2010, 05:46 PM
I was reading this thread thinking it was current, until I read the persons post saying something to the effect "I can't wait to see what the PS3 controller looks like..." then I was like.... WTF?

Then seen this thread was helly old lol