PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions

Atroxx70
11-26-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm thinking about buying this for my 7-yr old for Christmas and I was wondering if it would be worth it. I am certainly well aware that this won't teach him how to skate, but I'm hoping this will boost the interest he already has shown in the sport and maybe motivate him to want to learn how to do it for real.

These are my main questions, also, I know there is a lot of hate out there directed at this game, so please don't give you opinions unless you have actually played the game:

1) Does it actually work as advertised? For the amount of money this costs, I don't want him to get frustrated and put it down after not being able to pull off anything but an ollie.

2) How durable is the board? I don't expect my fat ass to be able to hop on and ride it, but I also don't want to have to replace the board every few months.

and 3) Would you recommend this for a 7yr old?

ShortYtheMasteR
11-29-2009, 11:59 PM
A couple things that may help you in your decision. Me an my buddies skate in real life. I went and got this game Friday night for us to play. So we've given it some good wear and tare so far. jk. Here's the main points about it and the flaws we've noticed.

This game has 3 separate skill levels to play. Basically to help you learn to play. The tutorials teach you most of the basics and then you can look at more advanced videos online and in the tutorial section. Almost all the functions that the board is supposed to do it does. I've heard several stories of defective units but mine is mint. We got really carried away the first night and I actually ollied with the board on my carpet. I'm not heavy but I guarantee your kid won't break it. We've given it a good run.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants to have fun and skate the carpet board. lol. Oh the weight limit is 300 lbs but the creator said at one of the conventions there was some questionably large guys playing on it. I'd give the game a 10/10 just because of the amazing new controller. Enjoy!

SixSticks
12-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I do not recommend this for a seven year old. It's just as dangerous as a real skateboard; like the post above, it takes an experienced skateboarder to play this game. If you're not very coordinated on a skateboard you won't be comfortable playing this game. It's easy to lose your footing as it's designed to tilt 45 degrees in all four directions with a slight change in balance. Because of the jumping and tilt/flip mechanisms, too, the board has a good chance of slipping around on the floor, unless you've got a thick rug to play on (a shag rug, however, will throw off the sensors, however).

I'm still giving this game a try mostly for the achievements but also for the exercise. That said, a 7 year old who like simpler games will not get much out of this. A real skateboard would be a better investment.