PDA

View Full Version : The truth behind the Gyroball...

Shaaady Souljah
02-24-2007, 07:20 AM
this was discussed in the mlb2k7 threads, and i thought i would post portions of the article here to better explain... like i said, most of what was believed to be true about it is false. no 3-foot break. no break at all actually... read on to learn if youre interested...

"the pitch was discovered in a laboratory. Tezuka, 44, actually recognized the possibility of the pitch in 1995, when he found an American toy in a Japanese store. It is called the X-Zylo Ultra, and its use of a gyroscope a device that uses inertia to balance itself allows it to fly more than 500 feet when thrown. Tezuka tried to apply the principles of the X-Zylo to throwing a baseball and brought the idea to Dr. Ryutaro Himeno, a respected scientist at the Japanese lab RIKEN, who put together computerized models based on Tezuka's theory that gyro spin would subject a baseball to less resistance...

If thrown correctly, Tezuka said, the two-seam gyroball should look to a batter like a slider and act like a fastball. That is why, as described in the title of the book he and Himeno wrote, it is a "miracle pitch."

The theory behind the gyroball is this: When a baseball spins sideways, like a bullet, it should cut down on the amount of resistance on its path to the plate. Without the same amount of air resistance as a regular fastball, which rotates backward, the four-seam gyroball should not experience the same slowdown and look as if it's exploding toward the plate.

A perfect gyroball should be straighter than the crease on a pair of slacks.

"It doesn't move," Tezuka said. "It doesn't move at all."

Turns out all the videos claiming to capture Matsuzaka's gyroball were instead of his slider, a pitch that has confused gyrophiles since 1999.

Smokez
02-24-2007, 09:47 AM
yeah he Admitted he never admitted to having one and said he doesnt. lt was on ESPN about a week ago

PerpetualHeaven
02-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Sounds like an awesome pitch. I'd like to see this bad boy in action. I was reading on Wikipedia and apparently it may not even be a legal pitch in the MLB.