PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else miss the 'old' world map?

xentaria
12-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Quite a random thread I know, but does anybody else miss the older, more traditional world map in RPGs like Chrono, Suikoden and up until Final Fantasy 9 etc?
I know technology has advanced and that we are in a new age of gaming, which is all well and good and the newer games are still amazing, but there was a certain charm in the old map that I will always miss. Yea we still get a world map but its all 'fast track' now just choosing you destination, it used to be fun getting to where you need to go, levelling up and doing other side quests on the way.
Now I love RPGs and haven't played as many of the more modern ones as I would like, but the closest thing to the old map i've played was when you can fly your ship around the world map in lost Odyssey and hunt treasure underwater, kind of reminded me of chocobo treasure hunting in FF9.
But I'm just reminiscing now of times past, maybe some of the younger generation of gamers haven't even played an RPG like the older ones, but anywho post here with your fondest memories of the old world map!

Cypher_Cobra
12-09-2009, 04:23 AM
I won't lie that I did like the old world map. But I think we probably need to evolve that ancient mechanic, it was good back then but now'a'days I think a more seamless personal experience is required.

The way they did in 12 was nice, the world was not seamless but it fit together reasonably well. Just like an MMO.

xentaria
12-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I won't lie that I did like the old world map. But I think we probably need to evolve that ancient mechanic, it was good back then but now'a'days I think a more seamless personal experience is required.

The way they did in 12 was nice, the world was not seamless but it fit together reasonably well. Just like an MMO.

I must actaully admit the map in XII did fit nicely together

Nozza XBA
12-09-2009, 01:57 PM
TBH, No.

I like the newer version... FFX was the first to try it in the FF series and I liked it! Thought it added a little more depth and was easier to get around with the FT rather than back tracking across a whole map etc.. I remember playing FFVII/VII doing the big character/pizeled map thing and I didnt mind it, but i'll be honest, I dont want to go back to it!

Games have moved on from this, or if they were going to do it, I think a over the shoulder/3rd person view would work better than the eagle view!

Plus with the FT, you normally only get that half way or so through the game, meaning most of the time your going from stage to stage by walking etc until you get you plane or whatever. But as Cyber said I think its a thing for MMO's.

But over all being a gamer whos played these games and understands what you mean, I can see where you're coming from and what ever they do, be it with the new FF game or any other RPG, i'll be happy!

Cypher_Cobra
12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
The world map made the game seem fuckin massive, made you feel real small. Made it feel like there was this whole world to explore and secrets to be revealed.

So.

In the end I think as long as The Square can cook up something that delivers the same impact the world map did, then that's what counts.

KamikazeQ
12-09-2009, 11:32 PM
I miss world maps and the ability to level up by just walking around in the same area of the map and fighting random mobs. It seems that every since the success of FF10 developers have moved further away from the overworld map concept.

Cypher_Cobra
12-11-2009, 11:24 PM
I miss world maps and the ability to level up by just walking around in the same area of the map and fighting random mobs. It seems that every since the success of FF10 developers have moved further away from the overworld map concept.

That's true, 9 was the last to feature the world map.

Junafani
12-27-2009, 02:37 PM
I miss world map too, but I am not sure if newer gamers would like it. Afterall main charcater would be as big as mountain or city in traditional world map. I personaly hated FFX-system because backtracking was pain the the ass without airship. Lost Odyssey did it better by asking where to go when you leave an arena.

Xerofox
12-27-2009, 04:07 PM
With a world map it felt like you could go anywhere, it gave you a feeling of being lost and gave the game some more dept because it's always fun to explore. In FFX the whole game felt more linear because it missed the world map, less exploring and I kinda missed that break in gameplay from normal gameplay to world map.

As long as there's some kind of fast travel I don't mind when there's no world map, I do miss all those vehicles/animals you could unlock. Flying on the world map to reach new areas is cool.

Cypher_Cobra
12-27-2009, 09:03 PM
They should make travel by vehicle or animal more integral, chocobo is their mascot after all.

xentaria
12-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Personally, I don't think vehicles would work in an RPG now. Lost Odyssey done a good job with the boats, but it's always a boat though. I loved the first two Suikoden games, but on the more recent games they used a boat on the world map aswell, there's just something about slowly sailing around the map that really bores and disappoints me. It would be interesting to see maybe a new vehicle or even the return of an airship, but the games are alot more linear now and I don't see how it would work. Imagine if in Last Remnant you had a vehicle that you could use to pass through the Ivory Peaks into the next area and then through the next, it would certainly be a quick journey and faster than walking, but it would be so quick to the extent it would be almost as quick as fast tracking so you would most likely just not use the vehicles at all. Some of the older RPGs had both the fast track system aswell as vehicles as did Lost Odyssey, so you had a choice to explore the world for new/secret areas, carry out side quests or just carry on with the game with no travel interruptions, which was actually nice. I know there's still treasure hunting side quests to do along the way and stuff, but it feels completely different to how it used to. Chocobo's however did kinda work well in Final Fantasy XII so it would be nice to see a similar concept in XIII.

Cypher_Cobra
12-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I guess you're right. I suppose we have summons looking like vehicles anyways now.

Come to think of it they should add in a few more mini games involving vehicles then. Like a G-Bike scene in FF7. And you know I had a lot of fun playing Blitzball in FF10, they probably could have made their own spin off title about Blitzball.

I think I read somewhere that they're having a mechanic similar to FF12 hunts which is nice, hunts were one of my favorite things to do in 12. That's where the chocobo travel came in for me, sometimes I'd just ride them even if it was less efficient than using a teleport stone just to ride one.

xentaria
12-28-2009, 09:46 PM
I suppose we have summons looking like vehicles anyways now.
Come to think of it they should add in a few more mini games involving vehicles then. Like a G-Bike scene in FF7. And you know I had a lot of fun playing Blitzball in FF10, they probably could have made their own spin off title about Blitzball.

I think I read somewhere that they're having a mechanic similar to FF12 hunts which is nice, hunts were one of my favorite things to do in 12. That's where the chocobo travel came in for me, sometimes I'd just ride them even if it was less efficient than using a teleport stone just to ride one.

That was my biggest disapointment ever in video game history. I was looking so forward to seeing how the summons and would look in the latest installment, only to find them all looking exactly the same - a big chunk of floating airship!

It would be nice to see some more mini games. Seems most of the mini games now days are just quests that involve hunting or collecting items. I really liked the card games in 8 and 9 and would be great if they bought a similar concept into the new generation of Final Fantasy, especially with the option of multiplayer, It'd be great to be able to trade cards online etc.

How's this for a new title in the xbox live arcade - Final Fantasy Blitzball!

ImmortalArbiter
12-31-2009, 05:32 AM
I very much miss the world maps of old. In fact, I really miss traditional JRPGs, perioid.

I know people talk about the "evolution" of things, but out of all the RPGs I've played on the 360, Lost Odyssey is easily my favorite (though I have barely scratched the surface of Blue Dragon, I did like what I have played thus far).

But going back to the world map - there was just something great about spending a majority of the game walking around on foot, exploring the wide world, and at some point you would accidentally wander into a place you shouldn't go yet and get slaughtered by high level beasts. Then, when near the end of the game, you always got an amazing airship, which opened up even more opportunities and things to see and do (and usually some awesome music to boot - Dragon Quest VIII, I'm looking at you).

Is it really an evolution to have your hand held through an open world? Are gamers really that lazy these days? I always thought the world map aspect would be a staple to RPGs. It was just fine in ToV and Lost Odyssey, and I wish FFXIII wouldn't stray from this. Oh well, at least the battle system looks fun - I hated FFXII.

roulex
01-19-2010, 04:22 AM
I pretty much hate random encounters, and seeing as one of the main purposes of the old world map was to force more random encounters... I bet you can guess what my answer :) Internet cookies if ya do!

Vincentdante
01-19-2010, 06:24 AM
I liked the old world maps, My fave games on 360 blue dragon and lost odyssey kept them in as well. However I also liked how 12 did it so I suppose I'm happy with however they do it.