PDA

View Full Version : Discs sometimes won't load

xI C0uch P0tat0
12-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Sometimes I'll put the game I want to play in my tray, close it, and it will say 'open tray'. I'll open they tray and then close it again but it still says 'open tray' and the disc won't load. I'll have to open it and close it again many, many times until the game will finally load.

This used to happen to me every now and again but now it happens every time I play my X-Box. It's getting rediculous and frustrating.

It happens to many of my games so I know it's not any of my discs. It's the X-Box.

Does this happen to anybody else?

True I Skill
12-07-2009, 01:52 AM
It happens to me and many others, Its been posted before, It doesnt happen to me much anymore but somtimes it can get bad, Just blow into the disc tray, or put another game in, unplug and plug back in ect ect.. try random things until it works. I normaly slam my fist ontop of the thing if nothing else works and it normaly gets the idea. Anyway you cant take it back to the shops either, My garentee was like 1 week away from ending, took it to the shops and it fucking worked! I was so pissed i couldnt get it fixed or a new one because i couldnt proove it was broke, When i took it home it was working fine, So i think it might be the dust And taking it to the shops got rid of alot of dust. But it fucked up again a few weeks later. just keep changing games and trying out all diffrent things. its not the games fault its the xbox's fault.

Alice in Wonderland
12-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Usualy when it happens.. I put the disc under water for a couple seconds than put it back dry with a towel and it works fine lol. Works 100% of the time for me and it's happening a LOT. So.. maybe it's going to help you out

Noddlez
12-07-2009, 03:59 AM
I had the same problem. You can either send it in, but you must pay $99 for it, but if you don't want to just put this disc in, as it is going in the back into the xbox, tap the top of it where the disc drive is. When you have this problem you xbox will make 2 noises, acting like the tray is empty. Tap it like knocking on a door or so until you hear just the first. It works, just takes afew tries.

ac2565
12-07-2009, 04:34 AM
This happened to me. Then I used a CD/DVD lens cleaner and surprisingly I haven't got an error.

xI C0uch P0tat0
12-17-2009, 08:42 PM
I was trying to get it to work today and slammed my fist on it. Now every time I close the try it will automatically re-open again. The tray won't even go all the way into the X-box now. I have to manually push it in. FML.

Q ipoddy Q
12-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Its happened to me before but only once or twice i think its a problem with the laser or you have a dirty disc tray, try cleaning it, either with a j clothe or get a small extractor fan.

Jappe XBA
12-17-2009, 09:02 PM
I get this message too pretty often, and sometimes it says Play DVD, not Open tray, which is some kind of weird... And I do know that Assassin's Creed II is not a DVD:drunk

It doesn't bother me a lot, because when I open/close the tray once, it works good for me. Might be because of dirty tray but I wouldn't mind checking it out :chair

brooks2000
12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
A word of warning, if the xbox starts to not read discs frequently it could stop reading them all together.

i have seen this happen on three occasions now.
first of all its just a few times in which you put in a disc and it says 'open tray' but after a few attempts it eventually loads. but if this begins to happen every time you try to load a disc and it seems to be taking longer to get it to work your xbox may stop reading discs completly.

It has happened to me and two of my mates (one of them this happened to this week), the xbox no longer reads discs at all. and if your warranty has run out it costs quite a bit of cash to get microsoft to fix.

Der Fuhrer
12-17-2009, 11:12 PM
You disc drive is getting ready to go, if you are no longer in warranty then it is gonna cost you some cash.:mad: God damn Micro$oft.

kaleido42
12-17-2009, 11:36 PM
It has happened to me and two of my mates (one of them this happened to this week), the xbox no longer reads discs at all. and if your warranty has run out it costs quite a bit of cash to get microsoft to fix.

Just recently happened to someone I happen to know. As for how much it would cost, about $140 if I remember correctly. Around here a new arcade costs $200. He ended up sending in someone else's 360 that had gotten the rrod and was still good for the 3 year warranty (he had already replaced it with a new console so he didn't mind giving it up). Unless you have warranty, or a very good friend, you'll end up paying a pretty penny.

Takamura Bear
12-18-2009, 02:13 AM
I've got the same problem as well; I put a disc in and it still says open tray.

The funny thing is that the games still work after I keep opening and closing the tray to get it to work. I also notice a few scratches here and there afterwards.

Is it a disc-related issue or is it the Xbox?

xI C0uch P0tat0
12-18-2009, 04:41 AM
I've got the same problem as well; I put a disc in and it still says open tray.

The funny thing is that the games still work after I keep opening and closing the tray to get it to work. I also notice a few scratches here and there afterwards.

Is it a disc-related issue or is it the Xbox?

Pretty positive it's the Xbox as it happens to other games too.

kirky74
12-20-2009, 01:55 AM
this happened to me about a year ago. day after christmas, put new game in and wouldnt read just like this. we looked it up and by setting the console upright (or laying it horizontal if you have it vertical) and putting it in and letting it run for 5 minutes then turning it off and setting it back down would fix it for a few weeks. this worked for about 3 months then eventually that wouldnt fix it either. called Microsoft and they called it a disc drive error and would be a 99$ fix. i ended up trading it in to GS (got 95$ out of it somehow... with some promotions) which meant i was only out 5$ on just getting an arcade instead.

TL-DR
happened to me, quick fix worked for short time, MS sucks, traded in bought arcade.

xthewhiterabbit
12-20-2009, 03:05 AM
id say to pay the 99 bucks and wait for it to return but i know the last thing any of you kids want to do is PAY for your own things and not have an xbox to play for any period of time.

really though, have it done professionally and wait for it to return.

DuHsoccer
12-20-2009, 04:40 AM
This is weird.

Recently.

My brand new copy of modern warfare to would fail to load.
I exchanged it. the new disc works fine.

Then i got dragon age origins.
I got the open tray msg, and no matter how many times i open and close it wouldnt load.
I exchanged it, and the new disc works perfectly fine.

For me i think it's the discs, the new boxing in usa sucks balls.
every other game on my xbox loads fine.

Takamura Bear
01-02-2010, 12:50 AM
My Xbox is still playing up with the "open tray" problem. Before, I could just open and close the tray several times and get it to work, but now it hardly works at all. This seems to be quite a occuring problem just as much as the RROD. :mad:

If I phone MS, will they repair it for me? My last two consoles got RROD and MS repaired and sent me a new one. I can't remember exactly but is MS' policy to only replace consoles with the RROD and not disc reading problems?

What I'm asking is that will they fix/replace it free of charge or will it cost me? If so how much?

What do I do? :(

ac2565
01-02-2010, 02:45 AM
My Xbox is still playing up with the "open tray" problem. Before, I could just open and close the tray several times and get it to work, but now it hardly works at all. This seems to be quite a occuring problem just as much as the RROD. :mad:

If I phone MS, will they repair it for me? My last two consoles got RROD and MS repaired and sent me a new one. I can't remember exactly but is MS' policy to only replace consoles with the RROD and not disc reading problems?

What I'm asking is that will they fix/replace it free of charge or will it cost me? If so how much?

What do I do? :(

I have the same problem. It's either you call Microsoft and they replace it for around $100 or you open up your xbox and fix the problem.