PDA

View Full Version : How to stealth kill a general

JimL2112
12-13-2009, 03:47 PM
HOW TO STEALTH KILL A GENERAL

This little tutorial is intended as a share-knowledge thingy for new players to read over. Chances are they'll aquire the bronze and silver Brawling perks pretty fast. Stealth killing a General is not an easy task, even in Paris 1 Area (where it seems easiest to me), because of the potential for alarms and death.

Step 1: Get yourself the silenced pistol. I'm not sure what unlocks it, but once you have it, it's a jewel. The whisper of its operation does not cause a Suspicion Area on yourself like firing other weapons does.

Step 2: This sounds silly, but ~ FIND a General. As you drive around, look for a Persistent Suspicion Area (a yellow dot). Sometimes the General will have a Freeplay marker (white diamond) on his position as well.

Step 3: Mark the General with the purple map-tack. Do this by pressing Start (Pause) > A (Map) > A (Full Map), put the circle-cursor on him and press Y (Toggle marker). Do this because if you cause an alarm in the process you will have to run run run away (or drive drive drive) and this'll help you find your way back effortlessly.

Step 4: Get yourself a Nazi Disguise, preferrably by Stealth Killing a lone soldier. Brawling one to death is OK too as long as he's in a really secluded area. An Officer seems even better though I may be imagining this, it just seems an Officer disguise seems to cause less suspicion.

Step 5: Find an ideal angle to shoot from. I mean if possible, from behind cover, or where you can walk away from the General's line-of-sight easily. Make sure this spot is close enough to get a clean shot but just far enough away from the General's Persistent Suspicion Area, because as soon as you pop a guard his Persistent Suspicion Area will expand a bit.

Step 6: Make sure no-one is watching you, and carefully zoom-aim the silenced pistol at the guard's head. You want a headshot because anything else gives the guard a chance to look around quickly and blow his whistle. You want to avoid alarms at all cost.

Step 7: Act nonchalant. Walk away (holding LB to prevent accidental running) from the scene. Expect several additional soldiers to arrive, including ones who drive in and run in. Watch these guys from a safe distance, making sure nothing penetrates your small dotted circle. Eventually all these investigators will leave.

TIP: This is a good time to smoke a few cigarettes (Sean, not you!) if you haven't gotten your "Chain Smoker" Achievement yet. Note: I find that sometimes I have to hold the L-Stick down long enough for him to get the cig out and light it. Be careful to make sure you click straight down on L-Stick if you do this, to avoid going into run mode, which will drastically expand your dotted circle.

Step 8: Efficiently repeat steps 5, 6, & 7. A General typically has only 2 guards, but causing an alarm will replace any missing guards.

Step 9: Bag your General. Now you'll understand why step 4 is important. Now that Herr General is alone and unprotected, in disguise you can slowly walk (holding LB) up to him from behind and Stealth Kill him. I like stealth killing with empty hands, and the X button because it seems to always produce the quick neck-breaking action, as opposed to the slower beat-his-face-in kill. I noticed stealth killing with different weapons in-hand produces some different animations.

OPINION: I like to don the General's uniform as my new disguise. I doubt there's any real benefit to this, but it makes me feel good, lol. Your first mission in Paris 2 Area where you break a Resistance geek out of captivity, the lady tells you, "...the right disguise could make this go very easy..." or something like that, so I just now got my General uniform to do that. I also unlocked my Brawling III perk, "Touch of Death", which I am informed is a dagger thrust - yay!

FACT: The first General you stealth kill while in disguise will net you the "Trick or Treat" Achievement. It's only 5G but hey we need 'em all, right?

I hope this is helpful, I know I had a hard time gathering these nuances by setting off alot of alarms and dying alot till I perfected this technique.

DENAz666
12-14-2009, 02:33 AM
Sounds a bit long for me. I just planted dynamite or RDX in front of them, but hidden enough so they don't see you plant it. Then sneak behind the general and set off your RDX or wait for the dynamite. They two guards will go and inspect leaving you free to sneak up on the general.

Took me a few goes, but worked a charm in the end :)

JimL2112
12-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Yes that sounds good, but for some reason when I want guards to run off they barely go anywhere, and they start looking around like crazy. I was forced to eliminate them permanently, so I thought others might run into the same issue, and need advice.

DENAz666
12-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Yeah wasn't saying your way was wrong, just thought i'd add my 2 cents :P

It just depends on where the general is, sometimes its easier to slaughter the guards, and other times just distract them :)

I've done the perk for that, so i just snipe the general straight up now :)

True Marvellous
12-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Here's my guide,

Step 1:- Run up from behind in between the 2 guards and hit either stealth kill button, the animation will start before the 2 guards blow their whistles and the achievement will pop.

Step 2:- Run forest run!!!!!

tehGUN
12-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Here is mine;

Run, kill, die, repeat.

DarthSoth
12-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Nice guide. Marking the general is ingenious. If I get nothing else from this guide, that is the one thing that will help me out big time.

On a side note, I have noticed that you don't want to be running too far from the general if you get noticed as his guards will re-appear. and you get to start all over again. If you can help it that is. I have found myself having to run a great distance to finally break out of the red circle of hightened alert but if you can help it, a general near a good hiding spot or a kissable girl is rather helpfull.

neeker75
12-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Here's my guide,

Step 1:- Run up from behind in between the 2 guards and hit either stealth kill button, the animation will start before the 2 guards blow their whistles and the achievement will pop.

Step 2:- Run forest run!!!!!

This one sounds good. I'll try it.

EDITED: Definitely works. Easiest way to get this 5G.

Darkfather28
12-16-2009, 08:42 PM
I found a General surrounded by buildings in Area 1 and picked off his guards with a scoped carbine. When the coast was clear jumped down and took out the General. Easy. It really is all about being patient. Wait for the guards to resume thier posts and sneak in.