PDA

View Full Version : Economy to make Video Game Industry suffer?

Tailz
12-23-2009, 04:57 AM
I was reading an article today in TIME magazine while i was at the dentist and it was a pretty big article on in the last 18 months the Video Game industry at some of the bigger companies have cut over 38% of their production. Every other financial company suffers.

My question to you guys is do you think this will have a negative impact on producing new innovative and great titles in the enxt year or two? I mean i can count at LEAST 20 HUGE titles coming out this year. But the economy has to come into playa t some point doesnt it? It has to take 10 million to produce a huge juggernaut like Bioshock 2. Probably like 25 Million for Halo Reach.

I think eventually we'll start to see a drop off in great games. I dont think people realize the impact a service like GameFly takes away from sales.

v_thorne
12-23-2009, 06:30 AM
A lot of companies have had to cut production costs, lay people off, close down, ect.

The good news is, we're starting to see an end to it. At least here in Canada. The paper today said that sales are up to what they were before the collapse in October of 2008.
That means in automotives, furniture, ect. People feel more stable with the economy and what they're doing to bring it back up again.

I don't think it will negativly impact anything. They will keep creating games, movies, tvs, cellphones. If they stopped making all these things then the economy would be at a complete stand still. Nothing for people to spend their money on, so no money is being put back into circulation for stores, manufacturers and businesses.

CutePoisonCTU
12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
It's not good news since my boyfriend is a video games programmer!!! lol.

I think though that great games will still get made...maybe we just might have to wait longer for them because of financial restrictions?

The economy is rubbish for most industries at the minute though.

xthewhiterabbit
12-23-2009, 12:16 PM
of course it will suffer. ANY capitolist industry will suffer during a time of fincancial depression.

Starstrukk X360A
12-23-2009, 09:49 PM
of course it will suffer. ANY capitolist industry will suffer during a time of fincancial depression.

This is pretty much what I was going to say.

lordrex217
12-23-2009, 10:37 PM
the video game industry is also pretty vulnerable to a recession for the reason that it is used for recreation, and if times are tight, people will spend less on recreation and try to save more.

Elit3 m0nkey
12-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Even with all these layoffs and production cuts the video game industry has done a lot better than other industries (such as the automotive).