PDA

View Full Version : Question about Emulators?

minimaster58
12-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Are emulators for N64 games illegal?

Shinobi273
12-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Yes, they are illegal. I own an N64, you could probably get one pretty cheap now.

minimaster58
12-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes, they are illegal. I own an N64, you could probably get one pretty cheap now.
That's the thing, I already have too many consoles and I don't want to buy the crappy censored Conker for Xbox, is there any news about the original coming to Xbox Live Arcade or a way to buy the original on PC?
And if you even consider this price for an N64 game you're crazy, http://www.amazon.com/Conkers-Bad-Fur-Day-Nintendo-64/dp/B00004U1R2

iBlessing 09
01-17-2010, 09:18 PM
That's the thing, I already have too many consoles and I don't want to buy the crappy censored Conker for Xbox, is there any news about the original coming to Xbox Live Arcade or a way to buy the original on PC?
And if you even consider this price for an N64 game you're crazy, http://www.amazon.com/Conkers-Bad-Fur-Day-Nintendo-64/dp/B00004U1R2
Why then hell is it that price?

Tussell
01-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Why then hell is it that price?
It's actually pretty insane how high the prices for old systems and games are. At Disc Replay, there's used games for the PS1 like 'Hail to the King' and it's like $15-$20.

For the Dreamcast, a new Hail to the King is about $189.

A ZombieTwinkie
01-18-2010, 04:20 AM
Yea. Some games are crazy expensive. Gamestop in my city has a copy of Marvel vs. Capcom for the PS2, used, for $80.

And I just picked up a copy of Chrono Trigger for SNES for $45 at CD Tradepost.

And as for the N64 Emulators being illegal, I did not know that. I'm assuming it's the same for the others?

PointPlaceWI
02-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Yes all emulators that are free to download are pretty much illegal. It's like downloading "free" music from limewire or torrents. I did have an N64 emulator on my account when I was in highschool. Every computer lab would be spent playing Goldeneye.

A ZombieTwinkie
03-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Yes all emulators that are free to download are pretty much illegal. It's like downloading "free" music from limewire or torrents. I did have an N64 emulator on my account when I was in highschool. Every computer lab would be spent playing Goldeneye.

That's kind of surprising to me. Mostly because I didn't know that. Even the site I used back in the day is still around. And that was like 10 years ago.

And when I was in highschool, we had SNES and N64 emulators on all the computers, as well. Dont know how many people got into trouble playing games.

TVthePunisher
06-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Yes they're illegal but that doesnt' mean you DON'T have to use them. The question isn't ARE they illegal, but whether or not you CARE that they are? I don't care if they are illegal...same with torrents and limewire.

But regardless, I understand the whole price-issue. We have a store called Books & Music Exchange here and copies of "popular" PS1 titles are 50+ dollars. Especially the rare ones like Legend of Dragoon and the non-GH edition of Final Fantasy VII (which I DID own until I sold it, cracked case but I sold it anyways).

Otherwise, their normal prices are around 10-25 dollars (with Mario 64 and Zelda being in the highest pricerange, possibly 30 bucks...)...and the consoles range for about 50 bucks (with the super nintendo costing more than the N64, go figure).

I'll tell ya what though, their rates SUCK when selling them things...one new DVD can get you 1-5 bucks back (most likely 1 dollar) and N64 games usually end up as a dollar in the total. I sold my N64, controller, booster pack, and like 4 games for less than 20 dollars (along with a strategy guide, movies and so forth). I'm not violent about it like this one guy that was there next to me...he was trying to sell this stolen Blu-Ray set (at least that's how it sounded, the guy was forceful) and they were giving him like...10 bucks for that and maybe 20 total for the rest of his stuff.

dude1286
11-05-2011, 10:57 PM
What I have always known is that the emulators are not illegal, but downloading the ROMs are, some believe that you can download the ROM for a game you own, but this is along the grey lines of copyright infringement.

GrimSovereignty
12-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah they illegal to have but in my opinion I don't really like them it just isn't the same as having the actual system. I would recommend looking at a pawnshop or maybe checking online like amazon or Ebay, they aren't that expensive.