PDA

View Full Version : Do you think most people care about age ratings anymore?

_DaNnY_
12-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Age ratings is something I think that is important but often overlooked as unimportant or unserious, anyhow; I was in GAME the other day (a video game store in the UK, for those who don't have this store in their country) and I was checking out what titles they had and at what prices. Anyways, I'm there with my girlfriend and we're complaining about how we want Lego Indiana Jones II to go on sale again (we love the lego games LOL! xD) and I start getting bored because I can't see any good offers that really strike me, I look across the store and into the queue, there's about 20 people in the queue all holding games waiting to be served. Now the thing that really strikes me is I see a woman in the queue, say she looks about 40, and she's with a little boy who I'd say looks roughly 10 years old. They're standing together and this kid looks friggin mental, he's got fast head movements and a really angry looking face, and he's kicking the pole thing which makes the boundaries for the queue, it's hard to explain in writing but he looks like he's gonna beat the crap out of someone based purely on his facial expression alone. So i'm looking at this kid, and I'm thinking wtf why is he so mad? I look in the womans hand and I see her holding GTA IV. I'm thinking to myself what the fuck? Is she buying this shit for him? He's easily 8-9 years too young and he already looks like he needs anger management.

In short: If you're 17 and buying an 18 game I don't see much wrong with it, but a 10 or 9 year old kid getting GTA IV? Kinda fucked up, you can see how it's fucking him up in his behaviour, bet it's not his first adult game he's got...

[Waggly Bean]
12-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Anymore?

I don't think people have generally cared about age ratings on games ever since age ratings were put on games.

I used to work in a game shop, and this crap used to happen ALL THE TIME. Especially just before Christmas. The sad thing is that a lot of parents just had no idea what they were buying. When buying GTA, we used to explain to them that it included graphic violence and prostitution, and most parents would then refuse to buy it for the kid. Which was always hilarious. :D

The horrible thing was when you got a scummer-parent in who carried on and bought it even after you told them all this stuff. I once had one who was buying it for her kid who was probably about 12, and she said "So? It ain't nuffink he ain't seen before is it?" Nice. Real nice.... :rolleyes:

Gorilla Stomper
12-24-2009, 02:33 PM
It's a fine line, it depends on the kid it's bought for really. If they can't tell the difference between reality and fantasy, then they really shouldn't be playing games AT ALL, or if they can't handle the more mature content in some games, then they should stick to kids games.

With me, my parents have always been pretty lenient, I mean like, by the time I was 11 I owned more 18 rated films than my mum and dad combined. Same with games. The reason they bought me all this stuff I shouldn't have had was because, in their words, "You can tell the difference between what's real and what's not real. The day you start trying to copy this stuff, we're not buying you anymore". I never did copy anything I saw in games, so to them, buying an 18 for an 11 year old was perfectly acceptable, provided they're not stupid.

Now, where I draw the line, is online gaming, I don't mind little kids having games, but for fucks sake, if you're a parent, DO NOT let your kid go on Xbox Live. It's annoying as fuck, wait until they've grown up, I'm sick of getting whinged at by little kids because I headshotted them about 20 times.

tl;dr. I think kids can have 18 rated games providing they're not stupid, but they cannot have Xbox Live.

CLB Fight Club
12-24-2009, 02:35 PM
I've never cared about age ratings, i had Grand Theft Auto 3 the year it came out and now i'm aged 17 so you do the math. By the way the game hasn't had any impact on my behaviour.

TheLastAntidote
12-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm with gorilla stomper on this one... As a kid, my parents let me play violent, gory games and they didn't care if I watched violent, gory films with swears. They knew I was smart enough to distinguish entertainment from reality.

Also, I agree that there's nothing wrong with a kid playing an adult themed game as long as they're smart about it, but they definitely should not be on xbox Live.

Kaiyo
12-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Age ratings don't do much since grown-ups do buy mature rated games for their kids.

Akanas
12-24-2009, 03:12 PM
[Bad English] Yeah is like you said ... I live in Germany and we have a hard age-controll. So if you sell a Game to one Person who is to young - and anyone notice it, the cops beat the shit out of you

Same to Games whcih are to brutal for Germany. Like Gears of War. You can sell this Games, but it's not allowed to sell this to anyone who is <18 and it's not allowed to show them this Game. IT#s calles indiziert.

Then we have Games which like condemned 2 or Dead Rising - this Games aren't allowed to sell in Germany. Selling this Games is against the law (sounds odd, but ...) So if I sell this Game in Germany then the Cops beat the shit out of me ....

But yeah: If anyones Mum buys her Kid a Game - it's not okay, but no one cares ... [/Bad English]

Elit3 m0nkey
12-24-2009, 03:14 PM
But it is funny when politicians complain about mature games (such as GTA) and say "they should think about the children". Games are like movies some are for children and some aren't. And I don't see this problem with movies when kids go see and R rated movie.

xthewhiterabbit
12-24-2009, 03:17 PM
im pretty sure that the ratings have been ignored since they have been created. there needs to be more commercials on the ratings and parents need to be more informed. its illegal to purchase cigarettes for a minor but not a video game?

MJGB
12-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I guess you can account the more mainstream appeal of gaming and the lack of knowledge many parents have. We constantly see the 'Ant and Dec' Wii adverts and perhaps parents are inclined to think that all gaming platforms are family friendly titles. Though, with how infaous the GTA brand is, it does surprise me anyone would purchase it for a child less than 13.

Schism
12-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I think its the whole reason kids tend to be all Loud and shit-talking during games. Example: im playing MW2 and there are me and my friends and a couple of cool guys in the lobby..we just talking about the game and then these three kids join and start screaming and yelling. >:I im pretty sure alot of you agree? i think its because of the violence and language they are exposed to. I mean i understand that they WILL be exposed to these sorts of things in life but being exposed at such a young age probably messes with them. But yeah i agree with ya its just a big WTF but...mostly its the parents fault..... :P they give in to the kids and just buy them what they want and dont ask questions...

Slegger
12-24-2009, 03:52 PM
I find it hilarious how you guys care so much about what other people do.

Xenization
12-24-2009, 04:08 PM
The origin of the ratings and any laws associated with them comes from a Senate committee that deemed video games were the reason for a violent spree in American youth. The law is a suggestion to most people on most things, and unfortunately video games do not rate high on people's things-to-worry-about lists. The only reason the laws were passed were because of a minority of children that were not able to discern reality from a video game. No parent wishes to think that is their child, so they give a big middle finger to the rating system. I think video games facilitate those who are already mentally unstable, but the responsibility in that case never lies on the video game. That is the responsibility of the parent to recognize what is happening in their own household.

Back on topic ... the ratings are viewed in large part as a suggestion, and no store will refuse a sale to someone based on age if they do not agree with the ratings. Without any consequences to the act of selling the game there will be no change in the way things happen. Everyone is out to make money whether or not society or the government agrees with it.

[Waggly Bean]
12-24-2009, 04:12 PM

And why shouldn't people care about it?

People have to put up with so much high-pitched squealing/singing from little kids who are clearly no older than 12 but are playing an 18-rated game over XBL... it's not funny, it's just annoying.

Also at the extreme end of the scale, how about the 15 year old kid from Leicester that played a whole lot of Manhunt, then in the following days decided to take his supposed friend into the woods under the guise of meeting girls, and proceeded to cave his skull in with a claw hammer? Sure, the kid clearly had a screw loose to start with, and I'm not going to go into the whole videogame violence debate because on the whole, it is stupid. BUT the fact still remains he was playing an 18-rated game when he shouldn't have, and it obviously had some sort of impression on him.

I think you'd have to be pretty stupid, or at least very ignorant to not care about what other people do if it directly affects you.

Back on topic ... the ratings are viewed in large part as a suggestion, and no store will refuse a sale to someone based on age if they do not agree with the ratings. Without any consequences to the act of selling the game there will be no change in the way things happen. Everyone is out to make money whether or not society or the government agrees with it.
I don't know about the US, but here in the UK we have two forms of ratings. The PEGI or ELSPA ratings are 'suggested' as the ones you mention above are, but the more official BBFC ratings are backed by law. As a shop, you are NOT allowed to sell an 18 BBFC rated game to an under 18, and if you're caught doing so you will be prosecuted. Perhaps the UKs game laws are a bit more strict than America's?

Andy Shandy
12-24-2009, 04:15 PM

This is a forum...a place (amongst other things) designed to talk about what topical issues such as game ratings, if i remember correctly...

On topic...like has been said before, it just depends on the person who's playing a game

Slegger
12-24-2009, 04:22 PM
;2642857']And why shouldn't people care about it?

People have to put up with so much high-pitched squealing/singing from little kids who are clearly no older than 12 but are playing an 18-rated game over XBL... it's not funny, it's just annoying.

Also at the extreme end of the scale, how about the 15 year old kid from Leicester that played a whole lot of Manhunt, then in the following days decided to take his supposed friend into the woods under the guise of meeting girls, and proceeded to cave his skull in with a claw hammer? Sure, the kid clearly had a screw loose to start with, and I'm not going to go into the whole videogame violence debate because on the whole, it is stupid. BUT the fact still remains he was playing an 18-rated game when he shouldn't have, and it obviously had some sort of impression on him.

I think you'd have to be pretty stupid, or at least very ignorant to not care about what other people do if it directly affects you.

Jesus Christ, then use the fucking mute button. It's there for a reason. Don't complain about something that you can EASILY get rid of. I absolutely despise people who complain about this, when they can clearly stop it themselves by taking 1 mili-second out of their precious life to press the "A" button (Or X, whatever it is) over someone's name. It's your fault if you're getting annoyed by little kids.

It's the parents choice if they play the game or not, not yours or mine. If they are mis-informed of what is in the game, then that's obviously another matter and would include having more information about the game available to the parent(s). There the parent of the child, they are in control (for the most part :P), you, me and whomever else are not. If the parent(s) allow the child to play, more power to them. You can't stop/let it happen SO DON'T COMPLAIN FOR GOD SAKE.

And as for the video game violence thing, that's just moronic. If someone is stupid enough to kill their friend after playing a video game where you do so, they obviously are mentally retarded. You would have to be very, very, very, VERY stupid to kill someone in the first place, but be influenced by a video game? I can't even put that in words.

I personally don't give two shits what people do, if they are 6 (or whatever young age) years of age and play a 17-rated game, I don't care. I can't control if they do it or not, and I can't do anything about it. But if I encounter them in a game, and they are annoying, I simply mute them. If it were my child, of course I would care because I would not want him/her to experience violence/sexuality/gore/whatever it is at such a young age such as 6 (or whatever young age). Yes I care if it affects me directly, but you see, I have the capability to press a button to stop it. If it isn't as simple as that, I'll do whatever it takes to fix it. But like I said, me, you and no one else in this site has that capability.

This is a forum...a place (amongst other things) designed to talk about what topical issues such as game ratings, if i remember correctly...

You're damn right it is, but why the hell does everyone need to argue and complain about something that doesn't affect them, or they can't do anything about? It pisses me off to no end. Pretty sure this is a place to discuss things, not whine and moan about you not having the capability to fix something.

Tussell
12-24-2009, 04:25 PM
;2642644']Anymore?

I don't think people have generally cared about age ratings on games ever since age ratings were put on games.
'Nuff said.

Xylon Uxkid
12-24-2009, 04:28 PM
The answer is no. I used to work in Gamestop I saw many many young kids with their parents buying M games, and we have to tell the parents that this games contains violence, blood and blah blah and they just sat "it's ok, my son knows thats not real".

Elit3 m0nkey
12-24-2009, 04:31 PM

They are a suggestion but (and i don't know about the US) here in Canada stores will ask for ID if someone is buying a Mature rated game and if the parent is buying it for their kid and the kid is present, they will the parent what is in the game (so for GTA it would be killing people, prostitutes, drugs etc).

Tussell
12-24-2009, 04:32 PM
They are a suggestion but (and i don't know about the US) here in Canada stores will ask for ID if someone is buying a Mature rated game and if the parent is buying it for their kid and the kid is present, they will the parent what is in the game (so for GTA it would be killing people, prostitutes, drugs etc).
Yep, that's exactly how it works here in the US.

lenny m
12-24-2009, 04:35 PM
i just give my dad my money for the game and he orders it online

[Waggly Bean]
12-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Jesus Christ, then use the fucking mute button. It's there for a reason. Don't complain about something that you can EASILY get rid of. I absolutely despise people who complain about this, when they can clearly stop it themselves by taking 1 mili-second out of their precious life to press the "A" button (Or X, whatever it is) over someone's name. It's your fault if you're getting annoyed by little kids.
Actually, I didn't say anything about it pissing me off at all, I just used that as an example. Personally I don't really play enough multiplayer for it to really get to me, but my point was that people shouldn't have to put up with stuff like that. Why should they have to press the mute button? I'm not saying that you can do anything about it either, just that the Live community would be better without all the little kids screaming and whatever.

You're damn right it is, but why the hell does everyone need to argue and complain about something that doesn't affect them, or they can't do anything about? It pisses me off to no end. Pretty sure this is a place to discuss things, not whine and moan about you not having the capability to fix something.
So people moaning pisses you off to no end? I find it hilarious that you care so much about what other people do.... :rolleyes:

Gackt
12-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Pretty sure this is a place to discuss things, not whine and moan

Yet...there you are.

Slegger
12-24-2009, 05:04 PM
;2642929']Actually, I didn't say anything about it pissing me off at all, I just used that as an example. Personally I don't really play enough multiplayer for it to really get to me, but my point was that people shouldn't have to put up with stuff like that. Why should they have to press the mute button? I'm not saying that you can do anything about it either, just that the Live community would be better without all the little kids screaming and whatever.

So people moaning pisses you off to no end? I find it hilarious that you care so much about what other people do.... :rolleyes:

You do realize, there are many adults and other older people that are annoying as well? There are many people who yell and act "cool" just like the kids on LIVE. Saying only kids do it is stereotyping. The fact is, its part of life. You have to deal with people like that, it's impossible to just take them out. Yes, it would be nice to not have to deal with it, but again, we have to.

And that's not caring what other people do, it's expressing my opinion toward you're behavior, not going "Zomg plz st0p whynjing!!!11one!!1"

[Waggly Bean]
12-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Saying only kids do it is stereotyping.
I didn't say that only kids did it anywhere in my post. :)

And that's not caring what other people do, it's expressing my opinion toward you're behavior, not going "Zomg plz st0p whynjing!!!11one!!1"
Oh right, so for it to be caring about what others do you have to be retarded. I see, that makes loads of sense. And here's me thinking that any show of emotion such as getting pissed off suggests some level of caring. Silly me! :rolleyes:

_DaNnY_
12-24-2009, 06:17 PM
I think looking at the laws is important, it seems that in the UK selling adult games to a minor is illegal and prosecutable though isn't really enforced whereas in the US and Canada its just "a guideline" for parents and such and not enforcable at all as it's not law.

What was being said about Xbox LIVE I totally agree with, it would be cool if your age were attached to your gamertag which you need to prove with a document or something, then XBOX LIVE would only allow communication in games which you're old enough to play on, that would be pretty cool; the annoying kids shouldn't have to be tolerated or even muted, they shouldn't be there full stop they don't belong there. To be fair these undisciplined brats shouldn't even be allowed to own an xbox with such negative behaviour. Supernanny ftw.

It's generally a trait carried by intellectuals, intellectuals tend to care more about morality and society as we're all reliant upon eachother.

An ignorant fuck like yourself on the otherhand is hilarious to me, the rest of us gotta put up with your attitude until someone beats your ass.

Your arguments contain so many logical fallacies as well. Good thing you're not a lawyer huh? I won't even give you an example of your fallacies, you're not worth that much effort, infact you probably don't even know what a fallacy is so go read that up and become a little less ignorant. Just get out of the thread and stop complaining about people complaining; nobody likes a hypocrite and you sir, are a gigantic one.

adriano28
12-24-2009, 06:33 PM
are you sure the kid wasn't mad because the mum was SELLING the game?

Just something that popped to mind when i read that. Onto the subject, i think its kinda wrong to give kids games rated 18. Although i think they should be allowed to kids around 13 (or teenagers), because when you think about it, there will be more disgusting things in their science class then whats inside the content of an 18 rated video game.

Daiphyer.
12-24-2009, 06:45 PM
I'd rather get my games from Super Markets where the cashier doesn't give a shit whether you're 18 or 10.

The Destroyernatorer
12-24-2009, 06:48 PM
;2642644']Anymore?

I used to work in a game shop, and this crap used to happen ALL THE TIME. Especially just before Christmas. The sad thing is that a lot of parents just had no idea what they were buying. When buying GTA, we used to explain to them that it included graphic violence and prostitution, and most parents would then refuse to buy it for the kid. Which was always hilarious. :D

The horrible thing was when you got a scummer-parent in who carried on and bought it even after you told them all this stuff. I once had one who was buying it for her kid who was probably about 12, and she said "So? It ain't nuffink he ain't seen before is it?" Nice. Real nice.... :rolleyes:

this. Only the overprotective parents care. And they're usually the people who think GTA makes kids stab old ladies, so who cares what they think.

dakisbac
12-24-2009, 07:04 PM
its illegal to purchase cigarettes for a minor but not a video game?

This. Until the ESRB ratings are backed by law, just do away with them FFS. They're largely ignored anyway, and while I'm not a worker at a game store, I would not be happy to have to "inform" parents what they're buying for a child. Sadly it becomes the responsibility of everybody else to protect society from one kid because that one kid's parents suck (I'm talking about that "one kid" who plays GTA then turns around and kills someone)

Slegger
12-24-2009, 07:13 PM
I think looking at the laws is important, it seems that in the UK selling adult games to a minor is illegal and prosecutable though isn't really enforced whereas in the US and Canada its just "a guideline" for parents and such and not enforcable at all as it's not law.

What was being said about Xbox LIVE I totally agree with, it would be cool if your age were attached to your gamertag which you need to prove with a document or something, then XBOX LIVE would only allow communication in games which you're old enough to play on, that would be pretty cool; the annoying kids shouldn't have to be tolerated or even muted, they shouldn't be there full stop they don't belong there. To be fair these undisciplined brats shouldn't even be allowed to own an xbox with such negative behaviour. Supernanny ftw.

It's generally a trait carried by intellectuals, intellectuals tend to care more about morality and society as we're all reliant upon eachother.

An ignorant fuck like yourself on the otherhand is hilarious to me, the rest of us gotta put up with your attitude until someone beats your ass.

Your arguments contain so many logical fallacies as well. Good thing you're not a lawyer huh? I won't even give you an example of your fallacies, you're not worth that much effort, infact you probably don't even know what a fallacy is so go read that up and become a little less ignorant. Just get out of the thread and stop complaining about people complaining; nobody likes a hypocrite and you sir, are a gigantic one.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Flaming me to get your point across makes you look like an arrogant child. I have no time for people who flame constantly.

;2643019']I didn't say that only kids did it anywhere in my post. :)

Oh right, so for it to be caring about what others do you have to be retarded. I see, that makes loads of sense. And here's me thinking that any show of emotion such as getting pissed off suggests some level of caring. Silly me! :rolleyes:

Yeah, but you made it sound like you did as all you were saying were "little kids this", "little kids that". So maybe be more specific next time...

Where did I say you had to be retarded? Because I used the "internet" speak? Apparently trying to lighten the mood makes you even more of a sarcastic ass.

Hey, can we drop this? It's Christmas Eve and I don't want to argue for the rest of it.

Starstrukk X360A
12-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Unfortunately no, I don't think anybody cares.

While ratings don't really do much for me, I do consider them when purchasing video games for those younger then me.

The Ultrafiend
12-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Before I discovered amazing things like, I dunno, Youtube, I used to take age ratings as a good indication of how awesome a game would be.

A flawed system, you say? Perhaps. But it steered me clear of literally dozens of tedious JRPGs and I will put it to you that a shitty game WITH ludicrous amounts of sex and violence will be less painful than a shitty game WITHOUT.

/sage

NocturnalMatty
12-25-2009, 02:49 AM
its illegal to purchase cigarettes for a minor but not a video game?

Cigarettes hurt/kill everyone slowly including the smoker. Video games do not.

Try again

specVjavi
12-25-2009, 09:24 AM
i agree, most people (parents) don't seem to care what kind of stuff their kids are playing. i mean, how many annoying little kids are playing MW2 and Halo and Gears these days? and they're obviously not being watched, because they're using language that's much too obscene for their age.

Parents should take the time to educate themselves with what kind of games their kids are playing. i have nothing against children gamers, but everything should be age appropriate in my opinion.

Q ipoddy Q
12-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Yeah as others have said no1 cares about ratings anymore, i myself can buy any age game i want, but i see parents buying 16/18s with a 12 year old standing right next to them, and as the game shop staff who was serving these parents i would think, well its obviously for that 12 year old not the parent.

qu1ck2sh00t
12-25-2009, 12:29 PM

Jesus Christ, then use the fucking mute button.

Saying only kids do it is stereotyping.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Flaming me to get your point across makes you look like an arrogant child. I have no time for people who flame constantly.

I have been trying to mute you this whole time because you're whining like a kid, moaning like a kid, and are arguing like a kid. Wait you're a kid you can't be playing all these games GTFO!

X WIFE3
12-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Nowadays i don't think so...at least in my country.
I see kids 8/9 years old buying GTA, gears of war etc... the shops only want money, and most parents don't even know the meaning of +18 in the game boxes

Slegger
12-25-2009, 06:26 PM
I have been trying to mute you this whole time because you're whining like a kid, moaning like a kid, and are arguing like a kid. Wait you're a kid you can't be playing all these games GTFO!
Good Job, even after me and everyone else stop arguing you decide to step in and try to keep it going. If anyone is a kid, it's you.

GreaseMonkeyGB
12-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Personally, my parents knew me and my brothers were playing games that we clearly wernt suppose too (like GTA 3 at the age of 11 lol) but they didn't mind aslong as we didn't become influenced by the games to something we shouldn't in real life, and not to take the games too seriously. My younger brother, aged 10, loves playing MW2, he says it's his favourite game EVER and my mum don't mind, as long as it doesn't become violent because of it. If he does, then the age ratings of games comes into focus and it matters a little more.

I see alot of kids buying 18 rated games and the staff at these shops don't give a toss. Some people follow them as a safety measure but if people don't follow them i don't have a problem with it. The age ratings are there to warn/notify people, not to prevent them from buying it.

l.maciver
12-25-2009, 11:52 PM
in this day and age, the awnser is no

AFreakinCabbag3
12-26-2009, 01:00 AM
One of my 1st PS1 games was GTA1 when I was like 9-10 as far as I care age ratings is a waste of time playing a game doesn't make me want to steal cars or stab people.

If that be the case everyone playing Call of Duty 4 would jump out of a plane just for the crack.

katesith
12-26-2009, 01:43 AM
There are few parents left in this world who care about the images and ideas going into their childrens heads. My parents are one of those parents. I own the Call of Duty Games because I have talked to them and not told them that I know that its not real, but that i told them that i know that things like this actually happens in the world. the only rated M games (sorry, im in the u.s) i have are the COD games and the Left 4 dead 1 game, and this is because my friend is letting me barrow it and i have told her about it. i am 13 and i asked for borderlands for christmas. i did not get it because of the rating and some of the themes. so for me to come to a conclusion, even though my parents care, no simply because it is MOST.

Capn Doug
12-26-2009, 08:23 AM
I was actually impressed this week with Age Ratings. I was buying a points card as a gift and there was a little kid in line, holding Halo 3. He was probably 8 or 10, and the clerk basically had to get the mother, who probably had no idea what she was buying, to agree that it was appropriate for her kid before she would sell it to her, as she explained every age inappropriate thing in the game. This mother was clearly caught between the "I don't want to deny my child" instinct and the "I don't want to be a bad parent instinct." In the end, after being told that this game contains a lot of gore and violence, she finally decided that it was not appropriate for her eight year old and they put it back.

Finally it seems like the stores are getting the picture, make sure the parent knows what they are buying.

RuYi
12-26-2009, 02:46 PM
I don't believe that games turn people into killing machines. If someone kills someone and the cops find a game in his house, everyone starts pointing at the game first. Might as well blame the peanut butter company if they find that too, it's irrelevant. If you do such things, then something's wrong with you in the first place.

However, I don't think it's a good idea to give GTA to a 10 year old. Age ratings are there for a reason, and especially for a young child, stick to them. If you're 16 and you want to play an 18 game, meh.

No one seems to make a big deal of it here, though, 10 year old snotfaces can buy GTA IV or any other 18+ game here, as long as they pay.

vgfanatic1
12-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Most M rated games really aren't that bad, with the exception of a few like GTA. Still, I wouldn't let a 10 year old play them, especially if he was like that. At least wait until hes like 12 or 13 for M games, and maybe like 15 for GTA.

veece16
12-26-2009, 06:19 PM
If someone takes video games seriously or has a will to kill someone after playing, then it's his parents fault or his, but little kids shouldn't play M rated games anyway.

Jakethemuss
01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Most M rated games really aren't that bad, with the exception of a few like GTA. Still, I wouldn't let a 10 year old play them, especially if he was like that. At least wait until hes like 12 or 13 for M games, and maybe like 15 for GTA.

Some 18 rated, or M rated (depending on country) are alot worse than others of the same rating. Games like COD where you're mainly shooting at armed enemy soldiers/terrorists as part of your job aren't all that bad. Yeah theres blood and death, but then again some of the most graphic war films are 15 rated. On the other hand games like Condemned 2, with regular swearing, brutal violence and a general disturbing/unpleasent atmosphere are something else. This is a game where you beat street punks senseless, then push them to the ground and repeatedly tap a button to break their neck, or lift them up and forcably impale them on a metal pipe, or douse them in alcohol and set them on fire with a taser....take your pick. I have no idea what a 7 or 8 year old would make of a game as screwed up as this.

Then you have GTA and Saints Row, with the whole gang warfare, f**k the Police thing going on.

If a kid is like 13-14 and knows how to behave, isn't mental, keeps his mouth shut online and has a reasonable level of maturity...I have no probs with him playing M rated games. But I do think that parents should give a damn about what their kids play, and not let their innocent, blue eyed cherub sit in a dark room for hours playing games where you carve people up with a chainsaw or disembowl zombies with your bare hands.

CaptainSpanner
01-04-2010, 08:40 PM
I couldnt really care. As im 18, it doesnt directly affect me but i dont thinks its right or wrong to sell it to the parents... They know what they are buying.

DarkTharen
01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
I never cared much about age ratings until I had my own children. I tend to watch what I am playing if they are around.

Graivul
01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Well it is obvious that parents couldn't give a shit about age ratings, anyone who has been in a MW2 lobby will know exactly what I mean.

Dj LynZee
01-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Going into multiplayer of any mainstream, popular game is evidence that NO ONE pays attention or cares about rating anymore. Halo 3 is polluted with whiny little cunts.

MisaaAmane
01-04-2010, 10:37 PM
I don't think retailers even really care, they just let kids buy M rated games.
E.g. I easily look 15 (difficult time getting in bars or getting alcohol with my ID lol), and I don't ever get ID'd buying movies or games. And I've seen 10 year old kids buying M rated games.
I don't know if its good or bad per ce, but I know that definitely no one cares.
May be parents don't know what M is? or even know that video game ratings exist?

Retained
01-04-2010, 11:12 PM
I don't really see the point in ratings. The kid is going to find a way to play it, and if hes not allowed too, it just makes the game even better. Its how I was. My parents would not let me play GTA until I was 13. I have GTA 3 when I was 9, but got it taken away when my mom watched. I found where she hid it, and played it late at night and when I was alone. Made the game more interesting and fun since I wasn't allowed to play it.

All in all, a rating is just a letter. The game is not reality. Let them play, and if they are annoying the fuck out of you, click a simple button to mute them. Simple.

kaleido42
01-05-2010, 12:00 AM
here in Canada stores will ask for ID if someone is buying a Mature rated game and if the parent is buying it for their kid and the kid is present, they will the parent what is in the game (so for GTA it would be killing people, prostitutes, drugs etc).

That isn't a 100% true. I had no problem obtaining copies of halo 3 and odst. I'm 17, was 16 then, and I looked a lot younger than that. It just depends where you buy it. Only place I've seen them ask for I.D. was at ebgames.

i agree, most people (parents) don't seem to care what kind of stuff their kids are playing. i mean, how many annoying little kids are playing MW2 and Halo and Gears these days? and they're obviously not being watched, because they're using language that's much too obscene for their age.

Parents should take the time to educate themselves with what kind of games their kids are playing. i have nothing against children gamers, but everything should be age appropriate in my opinion.

I agree 100% with you. Except for having nothing against them:p(sorry but I've yet to have a good experience with a very young player (their good with me once they hit 13), once that changes so will my opinion). Parents just aren't keeping themselves informed enough. A little while ago I was at Wal-Mart with a friend. We looked at each other with shock as a mother bought a newly turned 10 year old a copy of Modern Warfare2:eek:.

Some 18 rated, or M rated (depending on country) are alot worse than others of the same rating. Games like COD where you're mainly shooting at armed enemy soldiers/terrorists as part of your job aren't all that bad. Yeah theres blood and death, but then again some of the most graphic war films are 15 rated. On the other hand games like Condemned 2, with regular swearing, brutal violence and a general disturbing/unpleasent atmosphere are something else. This is a game where you beat street punks senseless, then push them to the ground and repeatedly tap a button to break their neck, or lift them up and forcably impale them on a metal pipe, or douse them in alcohol and set them on fire with a taser....take your pick. I have no idea what a 7 or 8 year old would make of a game as screwed up as this.

Then you have GTA and Saints Row, with the whole gang warfare, f**k the Police thing going on.

That basically sums up my opinion right there for the most part. I honestly don't see that much violence/inappropriate things in Halo compared to most M/18+ games, but when I see kids playing Gears, Prototype, GTA, etc I say thats going well over the line (although halo is as well when they're only 5).

Der Fuhrer
01-05-2010, 12:44 AM
No body does, all my friends from school have tons of M rated games (me included) and none of us are insane. At least as far as I can tell. Personally I was playing GTA: Vice City when I was ten and I'm capable of acting perfectly normally at my school and on XBL.

Dj LynZee
01-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Not every child is the same way though...
And I don't know about you lot but I can't stand playing against bratty, snotfaced children on xbox live.
I shall never, ever, ever, ever have children. I hate them.
I'm glad my mother doesn't allow my little brother to play violent video games or the ones I play. In fact, he doesn't even have the urge to do so either.

D Dog 43
01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
The thing I hate are these little kids calling you names and roll out the F You and your mother this and that. Then i'm thinking... what the basejump are you for an adult to let your kids to first, have these games, and also use such a language.
Not all kids are the same, but the kids that I just named in a example must NOT have these games AT ALL!

katesith
01-05-2010, 07:50 AM
The thing I hate are these little kids calling you names and roll out the F You and your mother this and that. Then i'm thinking... what the basejump are you for an adult to let your kids to first, have these games, and also use such a language.
Not all kids are the same, but the kids that I just named in a example must NOT have these games AT ALL!
Lolz. I actually like it when I have a stupid kid that starts to cuss at me because I just sit back and listen to others complain at him. Its quite funny at times. There was a kid who kept saying everything that someone else said so we all muted him and talked we all decided to go and submit a negative review. we come back, tells the kid to look at it. he cried and left the game. the kid had to be around 8. So he mocking us was immature, he cried at his rep, which was kinda immature, and he left because he was mad at us, unsporty.

ZundayXx
01-05-2010, 08:24 AM
According to 80% of the people arround here all kids younger then 16 have squecky voices and act like a insane person.

Well, i'm 14, i'm pretty damn normal, i never shout trough my mice unless someone makes me pissed off ( American nationalists ) i have the same english skills as most of 16+ year old friends, i mute everyone that annoys me ( No serieusly people, the mute function is there for a reason )

A well, to the point. Couple of weeks ago i was in a store with my parents buying AC2 ( 18+ Hurray.. ) the salesman said the following: You buying it for him?? How old is he? In which my dad reply'd 14. The salesman was like: 14?? He looks 17 ( No really i'm huge for my age ) followed by: It's a real nice game, it contains historical landscapes, stabbing, poisoning, and horseback riding. My dad replyd: Sounds nice, fits him perfectly.

Ever since i completed AC2 i didn't have any urges to stab someone, altough i wanna go visit italy now.

Thank you for your time..

katesith
01-05-2010, 08:35 AM
According to 80% of the people arround here all kids younger then 16 have squecky voices and act like a insane person.

Well, i'm 14, i'm pretty damn normal, i never shout trough my mice unless someone makes me pissed off ( American nationalists ) i have the same english skills as most of 16+ year old friends, i mute everyone that annoys me ( No serieusly people, the mute function is there for a reason )

A well, to the point. Couple of weeks ago i was in a store with my parents buying AC2 ( 18+ Hurray.. ) the salesman said the following: You buying it for him?? How old is he? In which my dad reply'd 14. The salesman was like: 14?? He looks 17 ( No really i'm huge for my age ) followed by: It's a real nice game, it contains historical landscapes, stabbing, poisoning, and horseback riding. My dad replyd: Sounds nice, fits him perfectly.

Ever since i completed AC2 i didn't have any urges to stab someone, altough i wanna go visit italy now.

Thank you for your time..

Well Im 13

ZundayXx
01-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Exactly. Not trying to offend any parents here but the problem isn't the games, the problem is how the parents raise their kids.
Kids need attention, without attention they will become out of control problem kids. ( I can now, a boy that lives nextdoor is a prime example, he never gets ANY attention and is damn aggresive, but he never plays video games. )

King Jaypee
01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Guys, I'm 13, and I can assure not all of us are like this. Well, not me anyway. I was brought up to know the difference between playing on Xbox Live (I'm a pretty hardcore gamer for my age) and going on there just to wind people up.
Anyway, I dont think kids/teens should be banned from Xbox Live. Most of us behave well and cause no trouble. It's just a small minority who like to act like total idiots. Remember, the Player Review and Mute buttons are there for a good reason!

Geohen
01-05-2010, 09:10 PM
I personally care. I will not play anything M rated while either of my children are awake. I will also avoid most T game depending on their level of violence or language. My oldest only plays things like Super Mario Bros. on NES, Disney Princess' or Dora Saves the Snow Princess on Wii, Cooking Mama, Nintendogs, Ni Hao Kai-Lan on DS, and the Disney games on 360. As she gets older I will be monitoring what she is playing if she chooses gaming as a hobby (and who wouldn't). No way a kid should be playing an M game. When they hit the teens, maybe if they are mature enough, but most won't be.

Irishk8lin
01-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I care about the ratings about games. Call me old fashioned. I work in the video game department of a toy store and see it happen over and over again where the parent has no idea the rating of the game and goes give the kid w/e they want. If my manager caught one of the employees selling an underage person a game, we would either get fired or written up. When a parent asks for a title that is 17 and older, i say this is 17 and older, just to check. and most of the time they didnt know it was rated that way and then i flip the game case over and list why it is rated what it is. After all of this half hte time the child doesnt get the game and then hates me. But its one more high pitched 10 year old i dont have to play online with.

I understand what some people have said, if the child is mature enough to handle the game, let them have it just do not let them play it online.

Absolutionz
01-05-2010, 09:33 PM
My parents never did when I was younger, but now I'm 18 and I couldn't careless about the ratings.

MasonW94
01-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Ratings mean nothing to be honest.
I have a 8 year old cousin who plays Call of Duty and he doesn't want to go around killing people, he isn't any more heartless or anything.
It's how the parents do their job not how the kids play their games.

Absolutionz
01-05-2010, 09:40 PM
^

Bingo on the last part.