PDA

View Full Version : Gamerscore good vs bad

star^
12-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Anyone else just sick of the whole gamerscore?
Sometimes i think it would be better if we went back to when games was played for phun, not for getting gamerscore. (sigh.. xbox 1)
I must say i have been a gamerscorewhore myself.
Now im just fed up with the whole idea.

More and more multiplayer games are just ruined by the fact that people just cheat their way into getting gamerscore, instead of playing a real game.
Less people on the servers, since when people have all the GS they need they dont play the game anymore, fun game or not.

Online games being fubar since 4 out of 4 players are trying to get the same achivement, and ends up with all getting killed and pissed off.

Im all up for ingame awards for completing a game on extreme, like you get skins\bandana\unlimited ammo and etc.
Nowdays its just gamerscore and shit for the stupid avatar wich is one of the most stupid shit m$ has pulled out of their ass. Or copypasted from nintendo wii..

kall5ter
12-28-2009, 12:30 AM
i totally agree but the gamerscore is there to help you explore the game more?
ha, i don't know but i absolutely love assassins creed 2, i'm actually playing it because i enjoy it, thats what its all about? ha x

Slegger
12-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Agreed. That's why I've stopped playing games for a pixelated number that will do nothing for me in life. All for fun now, the way it should be. I've just rented Batman: AA, and haven't been worrying about achievements yet. I'm enjoying it more without going for them. I was foolish to waste a year of my life trying to raise a number higher and higher.

MattDB87
12-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Phun? Anyway, I disagree. I still love getting achievements and i still love getting my gamerscore up. Ive never once got sick of it. I have taken breaks but it only made me come back wanting more. If you don't like whoring anymore then stop, but if you love it, keep on truckin'.

Xenization
12-28-2009, 12:45 AM
I like to think that there is a fine line. I have the utmost respect for achievement hunters ... I could not play every Disney game ever made just for the gamerscore. But the games I do have I try to finish to the best of my ability.

I will play through a game once, maybe twice, to get a feel and have my fun. After that I'm looking for the best way to get any achievements I didn't trip over in my playthroughs. It takes more time than the real "achievement hunters", but I get the enjoyment I'm looking for from both the game and achievements.

shilbo-assassin
12-28-2009, 01:23 AM
There's more to games than gamerscore but I still aim for achievements in most of the games I play. Some games like Bioshock I realise are much better for myself if I play it through once and experience the game. I doubt highly I'll ever bother to get the last 250G in it though.

It is easy though to get gamerscore fatigue as I've gotten quite hooked at times and you can go a little mad. Perhaps you need a break.

GUNSANDBUTTA
Phun? Anyway, I disagree. I still love getting achievements and i still love getting my gamerscore up. Ive never once got sick of it. I have taken breaks but it only made me come back wanting more. If you don't like whoring anymore then stop, but if you love it, keep on truckin'.

I completely agree with you I have a lot of fun getting achievements and when I get of it I stop for a little then come back after it hard

DuHsoccer
It's just a goal to continue on the game for me,

if its obtainable , not a hugeass long grind then i'll go out of my way for it if i have time.

but i play games for fun,

i still play cod 5 online (only noobitos are left rofl)
and cod 6 online even though i 1k'ed them both.

BadBoyKillah89
12-28-2009, 02:26 AM
I agree, I am sick of them (but addicted to them as I'm sure most of us are for some stupid reason). You just have to learn to know when to call it quits & move on to the next game. Some developers/publishers just ask you to stay on their game for way too long (F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, Far Cry 2, Gears of War 2, Call of Duty: World at War, etc.). It would be nice if whoever compiles the achievement lists would make them more skill-based instead of insanely easy but long as hell. It's a cheap tactic to keep people playing their games more than they normally would otherwise. I don't think multiplayer achievements should even exist, it locks out those people who don't have an Xbox Live Gold membership. Multiplayer achievements are too much of a chore, I think they should become more creative with single player achievements. The only kind of multiplayer achievements that should exist are co-op achievements. Other than that, they should stick with single player. I'd say the best argument against multiplayer achievements would be G.R.A.W. & Quake 4. Leaderboard achievements are inexcusable. The only way they would be fair is if the developer/publisher frequently reset the leaderboards (maybe once a month). There are just too many cheaters when it comes to leaderboards. I just miss the way things were last generation, you played games for nothing other than fun. Achievements are our digital crack. At first I thought they were great but now I see nothing but game companies abusing the system. 100% achievement completion of games are going to become more of a rare thing. Microsoft doesn't even take the achievement system seriously. They don't care about glitched achievements or even have a solid number to stick to. First it's 1000, then it's 1250, and then it hopped to 1750. The first 2000 point game I'm sure is right around the corner. But all that ties into DLC and that's another argument for another time. :)

Capn Doug
12-28-2009, 02:28 AM
If you are playing the game just for achievements, it feels like work. I found that out the hard way. The way I have started doing things is looking at how may playthroughs are required to get the full 1000, and if it is more than one, I look at the achievement that is different and then stop worrying about the rest. Play once for fun, then again for hunting a while later. That way you are probably only looking at 20 or so achievements for the second playthrough, not 50. Wait a month for the second playthrough and then you are set, fun and 100%.

I like achievements, they make me explore the game a bit more and 100% a game gives me a sense of accomplishment. I have no intention of stopping.

Mister Buds
12-28-2009, 03:03 AM
maybe it's just me, but i still only play games for fun. i won't get a game unless i know (or at least think) i'm going to have fun and enjoy playing it. achievements are like an added bonus. a simple reward for playing a game i'm already enjoying. then, because i like the game i'm willing to go out of my way to get some difficult or out of the ordinary achievements.

R Rated Love
12-28-2009, 04:02 AM
I have nothing against them, and I enjoy getting them. I still manage to play for fun, and could care less about completion percent or having a game on my gamercard with 50/1000 points.

That being said, I find it silly how many people on here actually took the time to rent Avatar for the sole purpose of inflating their score. I couldn't care how high your score is, if it's all kids and old sports games, it isn't impressive in the slightest. (I know many people play other games as well, but I can't count how many gamercards I've seen on this site where people have nothing completed except games that take an hour. What's the point?)

Mokilicious
12-28-2009, 05:31 AM
Personally, I only get games that I want and get as many achievements as I can out of them. I won't waste my money on shitty games like My Horse and Me 2, Hannah Montana, etc... just to get easy achievements.

Stalkah
12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I reckon gamerscore is good. The reason i saying this is before on when i played games on the ps2 i just played the game on one mode manly easy and when finish i just leave the game on the shelf. With gamerscore it makes me as a gamer play the game me with then with play on hard mode acheevments, well it makes me play the game on hard as well.

Another godd thing about gamerscore is i been able to play more game then if their wasn't a gamerscore system.

DanTheManGum
12-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I love gamerscore. I've always been one to do everything in a game no matter what system it was on. I still play old games for fun and a few new ones (MW 2 - prime example). But I do find myself shying away from games I want to play due to glitched achievements and such. I hate not being able to complete games (or actually let them show they are completed). I couldnt stand it on any game even before though (looking at you Gran Turismo 2). Keep tallying that score.

Martinnn
12-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Gamerscore isn't my top priority when playing Games, but after Funs out the way, In rolls Gamerscore :p

sweatdog
12-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Achievements have been a great idea this generation, but focusing simply on getting a high gamerscore seems silly. I look at them as a checklist of things needed to do to completely conquer a game. I'm impressed more by the quality of achievements (for example those that have completed the list for Guitar Hero games) than by the total score itself. I like to play through a game, and then based on how enjoyable the game still is, decide if it's worth it to try to obtain the other achievements.

iKhaotic
12-28-2009, 05:04 PM
to me, gamerscore has it's ups and downs. when i first started playing 360, gamerscore didn't mean much to me and i just played for fun. after getting arond 1500, it started to become fun getting points, but i still didn't care much yet. i made my way to around 6000 playing casually. then it hit me and i worked hard for achievements from 7000-16000. then i just played casually again to get to where i am today. i plan on giving the 360 a break once i hit 20k by the end of 2009.

Spiffy McAwesome
12-29-2009, 12:55 AM
I think some games do it right (call of duty: mw) by having no gs online...yet still PLENTY of people play online

GrindPantera95
12-29-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm not hellbent on gamerscore, but it's actually gotten me to play better and experience new things. (I.E Complete X Mission on X Difficulty while attacking Z with no L)

But it is a double-edged sword in regards to extending and shortening the life-span of a game.

vgfanatic1
12-29-2009, 01:04 AM
I never play games that I don't like just for achievements. And I rarely go for achievements that make the game unenjoyable. I totally agree with multiplayer achievements though; they should be removed. I hated in Halo 3 when people would purposely go out of their way for achievements and it would make it less enjoyable for others. I still play games after I 1000 them if I still think they are fun, so I guess this just depends on the person.

XxBlueSpade2xX
12-29-2009, 01:24 AM
I like the idea of getting an achievement for beating games on a certain difficulty or going through the trouble and time of collecting a hundred feathers/doves/cd's/etc. I'm over the online achievements and non-stackables.

LicensedForwar
12-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Some ppl with higher scores annoy me. People only see the number and say look that guys got amazing score.

Scratch the surface you find about 60 to 70% of that score comes from easy games.

And this is why i see the next evolution in gamerscore being that it's not about who has more.

It's about what goes into it. And i think a lot of these ppl who got into this early and thought farming as it is referred to was a way to get respect will soon be sorry.

Don't get me wrong easy games will still play a role heck i got a couple on my card already with some still till to play through and 100%.

You got to mix it up though with some harder ones.

Joe x360a
12-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Maybe i'm the only one who likes written confirmation that I am better/worse than my friends at certain games?

I just like to show that I am great at certain games, and try to add a little competitive play to games with my friends. Completing games is nice too, but games that force you to get DLC to complete does annoy me a tad.

K-Will
12-29-2009, 01:52 AM
If the game is fun and enjoyable, I will by all mean complete to the best of my ability.

But online are very annoying as people go crazy to get them (Like Halo where every one would rush to the bottom to get the hammer).
we need more with a list like MW2 Where you had easy one for the casual players and then you have achievements like "Star 69" for the hardcore.

Hudson888
12-30-2009, 02:56 PM
I like getting achievements, but not because i can go "hey my gamerscore is higher than yours" i do it because i like exploring the games, and it gives games more of a life. There is a higher sense of satisfaction, completing certain things in games unlike just completing a game.

Skillet
12-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Achievements were never meant to be farmed for points. (trying to move away from "whorred")

They were meant to be game-related accomplishements that players could be proud of. I think Microsoft should have ditched the points and left achievements as just that. ACHIEVEMENTS.

It's a prime example of why you should play games for fun first. Period. It's what I do. Honestly, the only times I've tried to earn as many points as possible were in competitions. Like the first year I had my 360, I kept trying to beat my friend's score. And during the gamerscore league. I found a little over half way through the league that I didn't like farming points though. So I stopped. I wanted to get 10k points in those two months but I fell short by a couple thousand. But it's fine. I can deal with it.

It's the last time I'm playing crappy games for points. I'm quickly going back to playing games because I want to play the game and worrying about achievements later. If I like the game, I'll go for all of the achievments. If not, I don't care.

In the end. Games are meant to be "phun" as you like to call it. If earning achievements is fun for you or anyone else, to each their own. But if you find yourself hating being an achievement whore (there, I said it), then you should probably rethink your gaming priorities.

Steelhead
12-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Achievements have actually helped me find a lot of good games. I have played a TON of titles that I would have never even thought about playing if it weren't for GS and some of them have ended up being VERY enjoyable.

Plus, I'm much more apt to complete games since I have that carrot to chase.

Absolutionz
12-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Nope, I love achievements. I probably wouldn't be gaming anymore if it weren't for achievements. It just adds that extra incentive to play. And like most, I've played a lot of games I wouldn't have played if it weren't for achievements.

McKaystyles
12-30-2009, 08:54 PM
i made this exact same thread a few months back... and in a few months there will be another... the cycle of GS i suppose.

Sambuca Queen
12-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I know people who buy games such as King Kong in order to get the easy achievements. I guess the whole fun gaming has been forgotten by most gamers. I get games to play and enjoy. Wow, I got an achievement. I get alittle chuffed cause Ive unlocked something, but at the end of the day Im not willing to spend cash on a game purely to unlock achievements.

Suzuka Miyamoto
12-30-2009, 10:11 PM
I mostly play games for fun, just like on the xbox.

I dont care about achievements <( ^_^< )

MelangeAddict
12-30-2009, 10:16 PM
I still mostly play the games for the fun of them but the points give me a secondary reason to try and explore areas more or to go past my comfort zone by trying on a harder level.

dakisbac
12-30-2009, 10:34 PM
In general, I only play games that I want to play, and an achievement list won't change my mind. I dislike playing games solely for achievements, although I do it every now and then when I feel like whoring. I'm currently "renting" six sports games from EB Games to increase my score.

PureTechniquex
12-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Some ppl with higher scores annoy me. People only see the number and say look that guys got amazing score.

Scratch the surface you find about 60 to 70% of that score comes from easy games.

And this is why i see the next evolution in gamerscore being that it's not about who has more.

It's about what goes into it. And i think a lot of these ppl who got into this early and thought farming as it is referred to was a way to get respect will soon be sorry.

Don't get me wrong easy games will still play a role heck i got a couple on my card already with some still till to play through and 100%.

You got to mix it up though with some harder ones.

Gotta agree with that, pretty much the reason i started a new tag with only Good/Hard games on it... next i will probably 200 Cod: Classic & 1000 F.E.A.R Files again becuase they are skill based completions. :)

star^
01-04-2010, 01:46 PM
I know people who buy games such as King Kong in order to get the easy achievements. I guess the whole fun gaming has been forgotten by most gamers. I get games to play and enjoy. Wow, I got an achievement. I get alittle chuffed cause Ive unlocked something, but at the end of the day Im not willing to spend cash on a game purely to unlock achievements.

Been there done that, but i got a pleasant surprice when i popped king kong in, it was actually a good game. And i got LOST via domus or whatsitsname, wich was crap but 1000 for just completing.

I have stopped looking at the achievements before i play a game, kinda ruins the game a bit since you get a hint what choices you have, and what to do. Used to go to x360a and check out what to do so i could get the most GS from the game in 1 playthroug. LAME, i know.

I got a ps3 too, and the trophies are not as addictive as gamerscore. Dont know why, and some games dont have trophies. Still i have played MGS4 like 4 times to get the bandana, stealth and stuff like that.

Its kinda like GS has replaced those extras, and if a game has like "bandana", they sure as hell aint gonna let you use it to get gamerscore for completing the game on ultra hard with infinite ammo.

Kamakazi Pear
01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
I mostly play games for fun, just like on the xbox.

I dont care about achievements <( ^_^< )

^ Bwahaha, ofcourse. (:

I enjoy getting gamerscore, it makes me do things in games I normally wouldn't do/try... But I don't play games purely for the gamerscore, if I enjoy it, I will play it for fun and later go for the achievements.

bapae
01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Personally i like it more because it helps me explore and get the most out of a game i pay $60 for. And it makes comleteing a hard game or difficult task more rewarding and think now you have proof you beat halo on legendary or call of duty on veteran or shot the guy in the head with a pistol.

CutePoisonCTU
01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Generally I only play games that I WANT to play. But the games I do play, I'll try and get as many achievements as possible before I play a new game.

I really like achievements but they haven't really changed the way I game. Back in the good old days of no achievements, I still used to try and collect as many items as I could, and use every weapon and just explore the levels.

My step-brother is 13 and he doesn't understand achievements so he doesn't play to get them....he still thinks that gamerscore=microsoft points to spend in the marketplace. lol.

aussiegamer
01-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Good-
Being rewarded for doing particular things in games.
Some are fun.
Gives me something else to do in the game after I've completed it.
Bragging rights. Muahah.

Bad-
Once you 1k a game you no longer feel like playing it.

Graivul
01-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Gamerscore gives a new dimension to gaming we never really had before. I for one love em and yes I would consider myself a whore for those who use the term.

I must admit though that even though I have completed Avatar and Lost etc. I won't be playing that type of "Easy 1000 but shite game" again. Thats when whoring for achievements becomes a problem really. I found myself playing just for the achievements and hating every minute of the gameplay, and that is not what gameplay is about.

So my general rationale for gaming now is that I do of course pay attention to achievements and want the full 1000 to be achieveable but ultimately it will boil down to wanting to play the game. Which means no Hannah Montana and My Horse for me lol.

Schism
01-04-2010, 10:50 PM
yeah gamerscore is very "meh" to me. i dont play games for the achievements i play them because they are fun...but i only try and get achievements on games i really like or have the most fun on. I think a better addition M$ could add to the gamercard is like a way you can see how many kills or something someone has in a game. Sorta like being able to see there stats in a game like halo3 but without having to be on it.

Poida
01-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Lucky for me I dont play online much so I avoid cheats :p
But seriously I love gamerscore, love having points scored for doing stuff in games. Dont get how it takes the fun out of a game, if you hate achievements just ignore it and keep playing on.

CannibalCorpseFTW
01-05-2010, 02:46 AM
I play games because I love them... But I think the whole gamerscore idea is pure genius. It has made me play games in so much more depth than I ever would if gamerpoints didnt exist. It has opened up a whole new way for games developers to get the customer to explore every nook and cranny of their games by giving them small rewards for their progression.
Granted, many games have terrible, cheap achievements that people can exploit, but as time goes by Im finding that achievements are becoming more and more inventive, helping the gamer to experience things that he/she would never have come across if the points reward wasnt there at the end. If used correctly, I think achievements can breath so much more life into a title...and if it helps me get more bang for my buck, then Im game :)

Deviantelf
01-05-2010, 02:59 AM
I just recently got my xbox 360, and the grinding for points doesn't appeal to me. I still think it's neat when the achievement thing pops up, but I'm not going out of my way to get it. *shrug*

CaptainSpanner
01-05-2010, 09:02 PM
I like the whole idea of going to buy a game and getting achievements for doing little things you wouldnt normaly do. I dont like multiplayer achievements for doing something you are supposed to do on your own though. Unless they are ranked and cant be boosted.

iKhaotic
01-05-2010, 09:20 PM

^this.

in November and December, when i realized that i was close to 20k GS. i had two goals in mind:

-get to 20k GS by the end of 2009
-once 20k is achieved, put 360 down and catch up on PS2

i did so. in just the past 2-3 weeks that i've been playing PS2, i've had more fun and enjoyed myself more than the past 4-5 months of playing 360 solely.

i think too many people have forgotten how to enjoy a game for what it is and instead, they're focusing their attention towards achievements and ruining their experience because of it.