PDA

View Full Version : Best Xbox to get, lifespan wise

fxsoap
12-29-2009, 03:02 PM
I am looking to purchase my own Xbox but the amount of RedRings I read about, hear about, see, make me very weary to buy one.

Can anyone recommend an xbox 360 type or place to purchase one that will last more than 1 year-3 years before failing?

Infection Ftw
12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
I think it doesn't matter where you buy it but just more the luck you have and how you use it. If you leave it on 24/7 in a hot room then it will probably overheath faster then if you use it normal. I think the Elites are safe nowadays and if you want you can buy that cooler thing to decrease the chance of overheathing.

fxsoap
12-29-2009, 03:21 PM
hmm so you really have to have a cooling unit to have it last the length of all other electronic devices?
:(

Kaiyo
12-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Depends where you live too.

fxsoap
12-29-2009, 03:25 PM
what do you mean

Beatonator
12-29-2009, 03:27 PM
hmm so you really have to have a cooling unit to have it last the length of all other electronic devices?
:(

I am on my 3rd Xbox (sounds bad but its not really...)

1st Box (Premium 20GB) Got it a little while after launch and lasted until Dec 2007 - Jan 2008 (Gfx card issues)

2nd Box, was given to me as a replacement by MS... Still working to this day (Manf Date is Nov 2007)... However the disk tray is sticking as the magnet is too strong, but works fine when it has a disk in the tray.

3rd Box (Super Elite 250GB) Got it on launch of MW2... much quieter and seems better built.

Go for Elite imo, but the old Premiums are much better now I think.:)

xtye
12-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I think it doesn't matter where you buy it but just more the luck you have and how you use it. If you leave it on 24/7 in a hot room then it will probably overheath faster then if you use it normal. I think the Elites are safe nowadays and if you want you can buy that cooler thing to decrease the chance of overheathing.

....are you serious....

Don't get one. They're known to cause faster problems...

Tatanko
12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Buy a new one and not a used one and you should have absolutely nothing to worry about. Keep it properly ventilated, don't leave it sitting on for hours (turn the 6-hour inactivity automatic shutdown option on), etc. I've had my box for going on 2 years now and it works exactly as it did the day I bought it.

I don't want to say the RROD won't happen with new boxes, but it's so much less likely it's almost negligible.

fxsoap
12-29-2009, 03:44 PM
hmmm. okay. so just buy one? don't get a cooler attachment or anything?

xtye
12-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Exactly. The newer consoles (Jaspers) are less likely. Keep it well ventilated. No need for coolers anyway.

slackydave
12-29-2009, 04:02 PM
I got my first xbox about 3/4 years ago and it broke after a year and i kept it well ventilated etc.

After that i purchased an elite after sending the other one back and now i've been playing on the same elite since, had a few HDD scares but they were easily overcome, if i had to get another xbox i'd deffo get the elite.

v_thorne
12-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Elites are better built, less likely to Red Ring. They're also a lot cheaper now.

Do not leave it standing vertical. Leave your Xbox laying down horizontal. This is also because if your disc rattles in the tray, it will get lazer burn if it is vertical.

Don't bother with cooler attachments.

Have fun.

Gariom
12-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Do not leave it standing vertical. Leave your Xbox laying down horizontal. This is also because if your disc rattles in the tray, it will get lazer burn if it is vertical.

The sad thing is, I have to put mine vertical, and I hate it that way. I'm always worried about it falling over. But if I put in horizontally, the little fan I have to keep it cool won't affect it. It's kind of sad that a multi-billion dollar corporation can't get something so simple to work.

Valentia X
12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
I seem to be in the minority with most people, but I still have my original Xbox360. I got it in 2007, but it had been on the shelf for a while so I couldn't even hazard a guess when it was produced. I've had RROD three times, two of which were not 360 related but had to do with the power source it was drawing from (hotels don't usually produce enough juice to keep an 360 running, apparently?) and once because those bastards at Nielsen broke it.

It's always a crapshoot but I do know I take pretty good care of mine and that obviously help. While some people get RROD for no apparent reason, I've known quite a few who got it and didn't really take care of it in the first place. :/

Kirye
12-29-2009, 07:43 PM
I've had 2 360s, still on the second one and running strong. The first one was a Pro 20 GB, which died in a few months.. didn't get much use either.

The second one was an Arcade, with a 60 GB HDD that I bought for it. Still going strong, not a single problem and I use it almost all day, sometimes even just to listen to music. Of course, I install my games the second I get them as to avoid any kind of overheating.

Mister Buds
12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
i personally believe that people that have been through dozens of xboxs either have extremely bad luck or take horrible care of their consoles. because they're such an expensive, fragile piece of equipment, i make sure to keep very good care of mine.

my first xbox was a launch console. it lasted me until march 2009. what eventually killed it was the nyko inter cooler i bought for it. whatever you do, don't buy one! wish i knew how bad they were, there's no telling how long that xbox would have lasted me.

on my second 360 now. bought in march of this year right after the demise of my first. seems to still be going strong and i play a lot. had a couple freezing issues lately but i believe it was due to me trying to load half-life saves too quickly. i was pushing A too fast and my console couldn't process it.

PureDescent
12-29-2009, 08:44 PM
I got a premuim 360 middle of this year and seems alot better compared to my last 3 that had died from the 3 rings of death so fingures crossed but at the end of the day the choice is ur's i would say both a reliable now

bapae
12-30-2009, 11:45 AM
....are you serious....

Don't get one. They're known to cause faster problems... That was because the old ones drew power from your console to turn on the new ones have a power cable that plugs into an outlet to prevent this. so if he gets a newer one with its own power cord he should be good to go. Also i used one of the old ones for probably 6-7 months with no problems but i didn't like how loud it was so i stopped using it.

Hudson888
12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
I dont think it really matters what one you get, its more than likely going to fail at some point, i have an Elite and a Premium both have RROD on me, and the Premium has done it twice and now its out of warranty. the only thing i can say, is if you get a bigger hard drive then install games you play alot on to it, then it wont heat up as much. Plus keep it out in the open e.g, not surrounded by things to get it hot, then just keep your fingers crossed.

Scottacious
03-29-2010, 12:59 AM
They have a good warrenty, and the new ones i think have less problems