PDA

View Full Version : 120 GB / Data Transfer Kit Question

Fire Mage
12-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Alright, so I've never used one of the transfer kits before, nor ever had a bigger hard drive than the 20 GB that came originally, and I still don't have them yet.

I want to get a 120 GB so I can finally store stuff without having to delete a lot. Guitar Hero / Rock Band songs and a few add-ons to games here and there kill the 20 GB pretty fast. So I wanted to get a new bigger hard drive.

Yet when I was reading about the Data Transfer kit for the 120 GB, it said something about erasing saves, but I'm not sure I read it right.

I have the original 20 GB hard drive, with my profile, all my saves, and all my add-ons on it right now. I want to buy a new 120 GB, then transfer all my 20 GB stuff to my 120 GB. Will this erase saved games I've had on my 20 GB all this time?

If so, I think that's completely ridiculous. But I'm not sure if I read it right.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Logansrun
12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I think it erases the data on the HD you are transferring from,although I am not to sure.I can not remember when I did it with my 20GB to 60GB.I do know once you have done the transferring you can not transfer back.
When you get your free transferring kit from Microsoft it will have instructions in there explains it all out to you,so don`t worry friend.

CaptainSpanner
12-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I ordered one about a month ago and still havent recieved my cable.
It gets rid off all data from your old HD and puts it on to your 120GB HD.

Fire Mage
12-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I know it erases it off the old hard drive and moves to the new one.

But I meant, like saved games, does it erase those in the process? Like they're not carried over to the new drive? Because I thought I read that.

brooks2000
12-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Its not surposed to erase save games, when i did mine no saves were deleted.
but there was an error when my freind did his and he lost a few of his game saves.
But i dont think these errors are common.

Xenization
12-29-2009, 09:14 PM
I am interested in doing this in the future as well. From what I have been able to gather in my research the files all transfer, then they are removed from the original box. Any errors in the process would cause things to be unusable by the new HDD.

Fire Mage
12-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks brooks, that's all I needed to know.

I was just trying to be skeptical and make sure I got a clear answer before thinking anymore about it. I didn't think it erasing saves would've made sense anyway.

Rowey 94
12-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Noob question - im from the UK can anyone direct me to where i order one please, thanks in advance!

Logansrun
12-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Noob question - im from the UK can anyone direct me to where i order one please, thanks in advance!

Try here friend http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/datamigration-usingyourelite.htm

Although I phoned Microsoft and orderd one over the phone.

Support number :Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday: 09:00-22:00Saturday: 09:00-20:00Sunday: 09:00-17:00

Call 0800 587 1102.
Mobile phone, call +44 20 7365 9792
Hearing Impaired (TTY):0800 587 1103

Good luck mate.

Fizzmatix
12-29-2009, 09:57 PM
The transfer kit won't delete your saves. The information you're talking about though is related to a disclaimer. The disclaimer just states that Microsoft won't be held responsible for and damage or lost of saves and game data.

As long as you don't tamper with the console and just leave it to transfer you won't have any issues.

Phone microsoft and request a data transfer cable. Don't trust ebay, most people won't send you the disk to complete the transfer.

Ben is a Ninja
12-30-2009, 07:53 AM
I was just wondering, If I buy someone's elite HDD off play.com or something, will Microsoft give me a transfer cable or would I have to have an elite for them to give me one?

specVjavi
12-30-2009, 08:28 AM
I was just wondering, If I buy someone's elite HDD off play.com or something, will Microsoft give me a transfer cable or would I have to have an elite for them to give me one?

well i know they usually ask for serial numbers, the old xbox's and the new ones, not sure how they go about it if you purchase just an HDD.

Sirius
12-30-2009, 10:13 AM

You actually have to buy the transfer kit from Microsoft now. They charge around 10-12$ for one.

Deviantelf
12-30-2009, 11:16 AM
In the USA it's $12.90 as of a few hours ago. I have a friend who wanted the Modern Warfare xbox 360 but didn't need the 250gb "all that hard drive, dunno what I'd ever do with it" (?!?). So I offered to take it off his hands for a small fee.

I called MS at 1-800-4my-xbox and they told me I could do that... replace my 120gb HD w/ a friend's 250gb HD as long as it was original MS product for the xbox 360... and though I had to buy the transfer cable "all information, saves, games, and such" would transfer "flawlessly". Me thinks I've heard this before from MS! but I've not had my current hard drive/xbox long enough to be heartbroken even if I lose everything... except my gamertag... that's MINE.

2-3 weeks for delivery of the cable, good thing I'm not in a hurry :).

MakoBallistic
01-21-2010, 04:39 AM
I recently bought an Elite and had a memory card left over from an arcade 360, which I previously bought to replace a dead/dying one as i was too impatient to send it off and wait for repairs.

As my actual games saves are at most only a few MB's each, I was able to transfer my gamercard and the majority of my saves over in one move which was actually ridiculously quick compared to waiting for and using the transfer kit, then i simply downloaded all my DLC and arcade games again once i was online.

So if you have a 256mb memory card or can borrow one from someone and dont have some insanely large collection of skate 2 replays or something then id recommend just using that as it does work, providing you dont mind downloading your DLC again.