PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Not Reading Discs - Please Help.

Aaron15
12-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I put a disc in, it just says 'Open Tray' on the dashboard instead of 'Play Game'. If I open the tray and close it, then it just says 'Reading Disc' and then goes back to 'Open Tray'.

I have tried with several games. I also changed the settings on my Xbox from loading up the dashboard from when I turn it on to just going straight into the game.

It still goes to the dashboard and says the same thing.

Any help please? Thanks.

vv uk garf vv
12-30-2009, 11:08 AM
judging by what you said m8 i'm 99% sure it's the laser you can replace it isn't that much work to do so. And just replacing the laser won't get you banned :)

Aaron15
12-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the fast reply. Any idea where and how to fit the laser? I don't really have a clue.

brooks2000
12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Your xbox may be broken for good, this has happened to me and two other freinds now. The xbox's stoped reading disk's for good.
It may just start working again on its own, I have heard of xbox just deciding to stop reading disk's for a period of time, But chances are its broken.

And to make this news worse, microsoft wont fix this sort of problem for free.

I have heard you can repair the laser, but my freind replaced his and it was still broken, i think he had a problem with the magnets holding the disk's or something like that

Aaron15
12-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Yay. Looks like I shall be buying my 5th Xbox tommorow.

I have not had a problem with my Elite until now for about 2 years?

Am I best of just getting another or looking to fix it?

Capn Doug
12-30-2009, 05:47 PM
I take it you are no longer under warranty. I had this happen to me, and when I contacted Microsoft about it, there were about three isssues that it could have been. It could be laser, motor, or software. If you don't want to crack open the xbox, I would suggest getting a new one.

True I Skill
12-30-2009, 06:08 PM
It can be fixed...
Mine does it now and again, But i can always get it fixed within atleast 10mins Without having to break my xbox open.

It sounds stupid, but I've found while the disc tray is Open moving it from side to side slightly and up and down then closing it some times fixes it, If not blowing inside it, Or just put your fingers inside the disc tray and slowly brush them past the things inside helps, Best to try in this order and try the First 2 atleast 5 times before trying the last. Its a bitch because mine started doing this just a week before the warrenty was running out! Took it too the shops they tested it and nothing happened, Them bastards wouldnt take it, And as soon as it ran out it started happening again -.-

So give them things a try before Getting a new one, Might save you some cash, i've been doing it for about 6 months, And its still going.

Aaron15
12-30-2009, 06:48 PM
It can be fixed...
Mine does it now and again, But i can always get it fixed within atleast 10mins Without having to break my xbox open.

It sounds stupid, but I've found while the disc tray is Open moving it from side to side slightly and up and down then closing it some times fixes it, If not blowing inside it, Or just put your fingers inside the disc tray and slowly brush them past the things inside helps, Best to try in this order and try the First 2 atleast 5 times before trying the last. Its a bitch because mine started doing this just a week before the warrenty was running out! Took it too the shops they tested it and nothing happened, Them bastards wouldnt take it, And as soon as it ran out it started happening again -.-

So give them things a try before Getting a new one, Might save you some cash, i've been doing it for about 6 months, And its still going.

Thanks, I will give it a try now, nothing to loose. If it does not work I will get another Elite tommorrow. If I do get another I will take my old one apart and mess about with it, pretending I know what I'm doing!

Thanks for your help...

------------------------
It doesn't even read the disc now, it just does nothing, as if there was no disc in at all.

Aaron15
12-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Sorry for the Bump.

But does the Arcade console have HDMI?

Need to know, thanks.

The Xbox 360 Arcade console is everything you need to hit the ground running. ... This console includes an HDMI output.

I always thought the Arcades never had HDMI?

Exhausted Dad
12-31-2009, 01:05 AM
Just fixed my broken Xbox woohooo:)

qu1ck2sh00t
12-31-2009, 02:31 AM
Amazon.com: Maxell DVD-LC DVD Lens Cleaner: Electronics

I use this every now and then just to make sure my lens is clean. Try this out or send in for M$ to fix it either way it won't hurt to have this as backup if M$ doesn't really fix it.

Thehefferkiller
12-31-2009, 03:27 AM
It can be fixed...

either do this method or try smackin it just above the disc area like the red-headed stepchild it is....

RazerindemiX
12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Sorry for the Bump.

Need to know, thanks.

i always thought only the elite had HDMI but i think i get a better picture with component set up

True I Skill
12-31-2009, 08:03 PM
either do this method or try smackin it just above the disc area like the red-headed stepchild it is....

Yeah that also works aswell, I just figured out another way as well that doesnt mean having to stand up and walk over to your xbox360, I just sat there and Tapped A about 6 times on the open and close Disc tray button, It opened and closed a few times, Then i stopped as it closed and just left it and it loaded.

Exhausted Dad
12-31-2009, 08:13 PM
If its working after you smack it then I would feel safe to say its the magnet. Which was the issue I described fixing last night its really pretty easy.
Thought it was this thread but it was over in the Ha Ha Microsoft or something thread.

vv uk garf vv
01-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Sorry for the Bump.

Need to know, thanks.

think the arcades have hdmi but not 100% sure.

Coheedd
01-01-2010, 02:03 PM
I've had similar problems with my Elite, and from the looks of it I'll be having to shell out to get another Xbox.

ceejay69
01-01-2010, 02:04 PM
this has just started happening to me in the past 2-3 weeks

the main reason would be that your laser is broken or it has just moved out of its place

to fix it if its moved out of place load the disc up and while its trying to read the disc hit the sides of the xbox (not so hard that you brake it even more) and sometimes it can line the laser back up...sometimes it takes around 10-15 mins..the longest its taken me so far in 20 mins.

good luck and i hope you get your xbox back up and running asap