PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Pandemic Studios

Ashes in Fall
12-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Pandemic Studios, what can I say about them. It's been a love hate relationship over the years. They captured my heart as a young teenager with Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction and Destroy All Humans. They sealed my love with Star Wars: Battlefront. They also broke my heart with Mercenaries 2: World in Flames and LOTR: Conquest.

Over years I've haled them as one of my favorites developers for their ability to make sanbox games extremely fun. However, I lost faith in this console generation but partly blame their shortcomings on EA, but after all of this, they're gone. I can safely say that The Saboteur is phenomenal game and an amazing swan song. Pandemic may be gone, but they've gone out with a bang. Rest in piece, Pandemic Studios.

True I Skill
12-31-2009, 01:07 PM
They all got brutaly Killed by a crazed Ex fan or somthing? I thought i read some where that they would still be making games Just with no help from EA.

I never stopped liking them, I've always enjoyed there games even with The glitches in Mercenaries 2 it was still a fun game and im sure Most of the people that complained about the Glitches, Continued to play it and enjoy it after saying it was a peice of crap.

All it takes is one person to say somthing bad about a game, Then the rest follow like Idiots without even experiancing a bad glitch and acting like they've been through hell with the game. I didnt have any Terrible glitches in Mercs 2 at all.

Anyway i hope they continue to make games like i read, They make great games, And with this Game hopfully Another company see how good they are and Team up with them or somthing.

acurate bob
12-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2 awesome. Let's hope the 3rd will be good without pandemic at the wheel. Mercs 1 awesome 2nd one not so good but still fun. I liked the LOTR Conquest. The Sabotuer is the best game they ever made.

idave1010
01-01-2010, 01:21 AM
The lead developer died just before the game was released so the rights and company was purchased by EA.

[Waggly Bean]
01-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Rest in piece, Pandemic Studios.

Is that a joke? Because it's not a very good one if it is! :)

R Rated Love
01-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Isn't this old news?

Ashes in Fall
01-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Isn't this old news?

Who said anything about this being news?

R Rated Love
01-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Who said anything about this being news?

Generally speaking, one would make a "Rest In Peace" thread when something/someone dies. You don't wait a month and then go about doing it.

And it really depends how you look at it. Former Pandemic employees are still working at EA and are developing the next Mercs game under the Pandemic brand, so in a sense, the brand is still around. Just not as its own studio (and not nearly the size).

Snoop QC
01-03-2010, 03:33 AM
I didn't knew Pandemic well, in fact this is the only game I played from them but it was very good imo. RIP

Barad
01-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Yes RIP, i loved Mercs & this.

CLB Fight Club
01-03-2010, 02:44 PM
It's a shame, i'm definately going to pick up The Saboteur once i've completed my other games and would of hoped more more similar games, particularly due to the graphic style of the game.

AOSKINS
01-03-2010, 05:57 PM
It was tough playing Saboteur, knowing Pandemic was done and most likely this wouldn't be their best work, or at least their most polished.

This is the future of gaming, smaller companies getting swallowed alive, get used to it.

Ashes in Fall
01-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Generally speaking, one would make a "Rest In Peace" thread when something/someone dies. You don't wait a month and then go about doing it.

And it really depends how you look at it. Former Pandemic employees are still working at EA and are developing the next Mercs game under the Pandemic brand, so in a sense, the brand is still around. Just not as its own studio (and not nearly the size).

I go about doing it after beating their final masterpiece. This game made me realize why I fell in love with them in the first place.

Only about 30 of the original Pandemic has been relocated to EA Los Angeles. The founders and lead devs (including the guy with the awesome hair) were laid off. They're still dead, it's just the minor left overs absorbed by the EA LA amoeba that will be making Mercs inc. The brand is around as you said, but the studio is not.

Pandemic went down in the same month that EA spent a big bill on purchasing some developer of those lame little Facebook games.

its delicious
01-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Mercenaries 2 was so awful in its incompleteness, it killed Pandemic. I'm okay with that.

The Saboteur is a very solid game and stands up creatively to other big franchises, so I almost feel bad for Pandemic. (Almost.) They focused on making the best single-player experience they could, just far too late.

When Pandemic and EA partnered up, someone didn't see this outcome?

Ashes in Fall
01-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Mercenaries 2 was so awful in its incompleteness, it killed Pandemic. I'm okay with that.

The Saboteur is a very solid game and stands up creatively to other big franchises, so I almost feel bad for Pandemic. (Almost.) They focused on making the best single-player experience they could, just far too late.

When Pandemic and EA partnered up, someone didn't see this outcome?

Mercs 2 was horrible when it came out but I played it recently and enjoyed it fairly well.

After LOTR: Conquest, I sort of predicted this outcome.

Hammer 5O2
01-20-2010, 06:35 AM
It's interesting when you think of Pandemic and their downfall. They developed for the last generation so well but since the release of the 360 and PS3 they have yet to make a game comparable to the quality of the Battlefront games. Some developers just have not been able to make the transition to the current generation and it appears Pandemic could have fallen into that trap.

I have not played The Saboteur yet so I can't really speak to the quality of that games.

Ashes in Fall
01-20-2010, 06:46 AM
It's interesting when you think of Pandemic and their downfall. They developed for the last generation so well but since the release of the 360 and PS3 they have yet to make a game comparable to the quality of the Battlefront games. Some developers just have not been able to make the transition to the current generation and it appears Pandemic could have fallen into that trap.

I have not played The Saboteur yet so I can't really speak to the quality of that games.

You should play it. It's a phenomenal title.

Edenstrife
01-20-2010, 06:49 AM
I still played the hell out of the Mercs games...even with the glitches. And part 1 was just great.

RIP