PDA

View Full Version : Third Party HDDs?

vgfanatic1
12-31-2009, 01:16 AM
I bought a 120 gb hard drive off of ebay the other day. I really didn't care that it's not Microsoft, as long as it works. Now I'm just waiting for a transfer cable (had to reorder 3 times due to scams on ebay, finally gave up and called Microsoft). Anyway, I saw somewhere that you can get banned for using 3rd party storage devices. Am I screwed?

Deathlorddanny
12-31-2009, 01:23 AM
im not sure about getting banned, but they banned any external memory unit that is not microsoft made...so it looks like your screwed my friend.

VladimirK
12-31-2009, 01:50 AM
I think 3rd party memory units and HDDs being banned are different.
The memory units are so that MS can make more money, HDDs are because people can flash it and use illegally downloaded stuff.

So in short, as far as I know, you're screwed.

Br0kenAssass1n
12-31-2009, 02:06 AM
im not sure about getting banned, but they banned any external memory unit that is not microsoft made...so it looks like your screwed my friend.

I think 3rd party memory units and HDDs being banned are different.
The memory units are so that MS can make more money, HDDs are because people can flash it and use illegally downloaded stuff.

So in short, as far as I know, you're screwed.

Yeah, you're screwed. I'm certain there was a news item pertaining to this very topic a while back.

PS. This is the second time Vlad has stolen my thunder, three times and I RAGEEEE! :mad:

Kaiyo
12-31-2009, 02:33 AM
Basically you are screwed.
3rd party HDDs and memory units are not allowed by Microsoft.

vgfanatic1
01-03-2010, 01:59 AM
I actually emailed Microsoft about this and for once they didn't give me a shitty answer. They responded saying that they can't guarantee it would work, but I shouldn't have a problem unless it is modded. I already tried it on my xbox, and it showed it was connected and was the right size, so i should be fine.

Elit3 m0nkey
01-03-2010, 02:14 AM
i thought it was that your warranty was void if they suspect you used a third party storage device?

Rowey 94
01-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Wow! So your using a 3rd part HDD and its working ?