PDA

View Full Version : reading disc problem

ceejay69
01-01-2010, 01:23 AM
around 20 minutes ago i was playing cod: MW2 online and then suddenly it came up with a message saying "disc unreadable" after it took me to the dashboard i took the disc out and cleaned it. when i put it back in and closed the tray it managed to load the game but just as i got to the main menu it said disc unreadable again. i then tryed useing a different disc but this time i couldnt even load the game.

after trying around 6 different games some said disc unreadable and some couldnt even load the game..it just kept saying "reading disc" then instead of saying play game it said "open tray"

Does anyone know why this is happening?

TVC613
01-01-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't know but MW2 pretty much broke my XBox. It takes forever to read discs, and now updates don't save, so I update every time I go to the dashboard. What's next, a nuclear meltdown?

Hobo Sniper
01-01-2010, 02:19 PM
install to the hard drive maybe? dont know but it wont have to read the disc while playing, only problem is installing the game, it has to read the discs fully to install. Another option is if problems still occur get it cleaned, most retail game shops will charge you about a couple of quid to get it cleaned. Hope that helps in some way ;)

[Waggly Bean]
01-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Well if it's happening with all discs, then clearly there's something wrong with your drive. Try the classic turning it off (at the mains as well) and on again, then if it still does it, I guess it's broken. Time to call Microsoft! ;)

Graivul
01-01-2010, 09:01 PM
*Begins playing the funeral march on Organ*

ceejay69
01-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Well if it's happening with all discs, then clearly there's something wrong with your drive. Try the classic turning it off (at the mains as well) and on again, then if it still does it, I guess it's broken. Time to call Microsoft! ;)

ive already tryed switching it off multiple times..i switched it off took all the cords out and left it for 1 hour and it still happens...would it just be my laser??? like would it just be moved out of place or something?

*Begins playing the funeral march on Organ*

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooo

MattDB87
01-02-2010, 01:23 AM
buy a laser cleaner disc, its a CD with little brushes on it, so when it spins it cleans the dust off the laser. you can find it at any electronics store. I have one, and it works.

ceejay69
01-03-2010, 02:59 AM
buy a laser cleaner disc, its a CD with little brushes on it, so when it spins it cleans the dust off the laser. you can find it at any electronics store. I have one, and it works.

thanks il get one today

Slegger
01-03-2010, 03:09 AM
Also try to unplug all the cords/cables and leave your Xbox off for 10 minutes. If your xbox is vertical, put it in horizontal mode. If it's horizontal, try putting it vertical.

If it doesn't work, and the laser cleaning thing doesn't either, time for a new one.

Gariom
01-03-2010, 04:37 AM
MW2 was getting "disc unreadable" every time I tried to play online, sometimes before the game even got to the main menu. So I just installed it and now it works fine.

Only problem is, it takes up 6.8 GB of space on my 20 GB HDD. I really gotta get a 120 GB.

ceejay69
01-03-2010, 06:52 AM
i would try to install it but i have also only got the 20gb hard drive

R Rated Love
01-03-2010, 07:01 AM
i would try to install it but i have also only got the 20gb hard drive

For what it's worth, I'm on a 20 gig HDD, and even with 4 years worth of DLC, Halo 2 maps, accounts, game saves, and 30 arcade games, I still have 7.9 gigs left :p I had actually installed my MW2 disc until I beat it and no longer needed it installed, and still had some wiggle room.

vv uk garf vv
01-03-2010, 11:01 AM
sounds like the laser dealextreme.com are cheap for a replacement used quite a few times before :)

lenny m
01-03-2010, 11:21 AM
this happened to me. i had the graphics reader flop and when i went on the dashboard, it said open tray. a woerd of advice is do not keep discs in the tray for hours with out use