PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new controller?

InsipidActionHero
01-01-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm only asking this because I'd like to know before I go out and spend $50-$60 on a new one, or if this is a problem that can be fixed.

I've had my console for a year or so now. Works fine, controller was working fine. I had the chatpad on it as well as some KontrolFreek fps sticks, but I doubt that those would do anything to change it. I also have a plug and play kit or whatever it's called, and I've been using the same battery pack it gave me whenever I bought my console. It doesn't last as long as it did but it still lasts for quite a while before I have to plug it in to charge.

So I don't know what's happened. The rest of my controller is fine, I had some problems with the left bumper during one game of Halo a month or so ago but that disappeared quickly.

Now whenever I move my right analog stick left (and sometimes, though not very often right) it moves the camera dreadfully slow. At a snail's pace, even with high sensitivity. This is especially bad with fps games but it's still annoying during any game.

This only happens if I move it directly left and hold it there. I can flick it left multiple times to turn in that direction but as you might guess that's also annoying, and oddly enough if I turn it left after it's been in an upwards position (upwards, not the default one) it works fine.

I would hate to blow money on a controller but I might have to, does anybody have any idea what's wrong?

PureDescent
01-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Well depeding on how brave you you could try take the controller to bits and cleaning the touch pads and connectors the PS3 pads have the same problem ova time give it a ago but i will state if you chose to do the following i am not responcible if anyting break etc. Good luck mate

Evil Chris 85
01-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I had the exact same problem, only difference was my left bumper button wouldn't work at all, I took the controller apart cleaned it fixed the left bumper button and the left stick, put it back together, and it all worked for a short while (about 2-3 weeks) the one day the controller just gave up, so I would suggest that its probably easier just to buy a new one

bapae
01-01-2010, 08:07 PM
My old controller does this all the time and i don't think it can be fixed. I can take my old controller apart tonight and see if i can be fixed or not.

Graivul
01-01-2010, 08:34 PM
To be honest you could probably try and fix it but they are never quite the same afterwards in my opinion. I would personally just bite the bullet and buy a new one.

StealThisAlias
01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Might be worth trying putting the original sticks back in, I had this exact same issue when using some sticks from an old PS2 controller... And as suggested above, have a proper clean around the inside. Remember the rumble packs can be removed, they don't have to be left dangling from the board ;)

Fizzmatix
01-02-2010, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't bother fixing it, it's going to cost you around $30 for the parts to replace the joystick component. This is a very common issue with microsoft controllers though. The sticks tend to wear out and do really odd things. One example while playing skate would be none stop manuals which is quite annoying.

You would be better off just replacing the controller, over the past year i have had to replace several controllers due to this defect in the hardware. it's really not worth the effort in trying to repair it unless your really good with electronics.

CaptainSpanner
01-02-2010, 02:28 AM
I would suggest getting a new controller if your not confident enough to take it apart, but you probably know what your doing.

MattDB87
01-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Buy the the gamestop brand controller its only 15 bucks, i have one. and its solid.

InsipidActionHero
01-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the advice everybody, just decided to buy a red one with a plug and play kit off of Amazon for 42 bucks.

evilspoons983
01-02-2010, 03:46 AM
FWIW, I bought an old wired controller from a pawn shop for $10 and it was really, really grungy. I took it apart and cleaned it and it works perfectly now, save for the left trigger twitching very, very slightly when you're not using it (not a problem in games that have a 'dead zone', but on one or two crappy arcade games this makes the left trigger action happen randomly).

Moral of this post: cleaning isn't that hard, especially if you're buying a new one anyway. Give it a shot, go slow, don't lose anything.